Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson battery and alternator

greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
I had read many posts on the Tucson Battery and Alternator problems on the internet and think they deserve a thread dedicated to the two parts. We wish to identify which one of the two or both have fault for the hard or failed start in order to replace the right one instead of waste money on the scapegoated part. A bad battery can fail you and even a good working alternator can't charge it; And a bad alternator is unable to charge even an excellent battery and the battery would be depleted after some period of running or idling the car.

Here is my case (I had posted in the engine thread and just move dit to here):
I have 2005 Tucson and had only a little more than 10000 miles. Last month I had a little problem in satarting the car. It took more than 5 seconds to start but never failed to start and the warning lights on the display are dark during start. That was after about of week of idle and nobody drove it. To me it appeared to be battery leaking but I am not sure about that. Today the dealer said the battery needs to be replaced and since the warranty is only good for 2 years and it has to be proprated for the replacement. I chose to replace it myself. I don't think the batter should be bad this soon. If more people have battery problem that's a sign that their battery is not of good quality. Even you have stereo installed that should not exhaust the battery, let along twice a day. If the problem is only the battery that's OK and we can install a better one to last long.

Comments

• greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    I went to a sears store to check replacement battery for the 2.7L tucson and the book shows Die Hard one with 124R as group size and 600 for CCA but the store does not carry that one.

The menual does not give out procedure in replacing the battery. I had replaced batteries for my old cars with alarm and I had no problem doing that. I am not sure if the procedure will be as simple as I did on my old cars. Mine is still running but sooner or later I have to replace it.
    OK, I checked out Sears, Target, Kmart, Costco, Pepsboy and Walmart. The battery for 05 Tucson 2.7L engine is group size 124R and has 600 CCA (according to the book of Diehard and EverStart and Kirkland) but none of the store carries it.

On the original battery there is no specs or something. I did measure the physical size of the original battery and it has 8"Hx6 3/4"Wx10"L. In Walmart I found these battery MAXX-24S and MAXX-24FS (Gold, their highest rating, list price $73.88) have exactly same physical dimension and have CA 875 and CCA 700 and 12V specs and has 3 year free replacement and 9 year prorated wanrranty. I just want to make sure it CAN be used on the Tucson though it's NOT listed for Tucson on the EverStart book. I guess the Group Size is more than physical dimension but I don't know more than that. I had used a value (the lowest rating of them) EverStart battery on my old car for more than 5 years and it was excellent till the point I got rid of the old car. So for the Gold class battery it should be even better. It sucks Hyundai only gave 2 year warranty on battery. The prorated rate after 2 years still cost 70 bucks and who know what they will install. Any respons? Thanks. btw, I still can start the car as long as I don't leave it idle for a few days so I am not in rush to replace the battery. But the dealers said the battery is no good and needs replacement in last week visit. I can't rule out if the radio is draining the battert as some other poster reported or if the alternator has something to do with that.
    It happened a couple of times that the remote key could not lock the car and I had to manually close each door. The battery may be low. Is this the sole reason?

Any response to the replacement of battery? I think I have to replace it very soon. The MAXX-24S and MAXX-24FS at Walmart look so good but they were not listed for Tucson even though they have higher and better specs than the same book listed for Tucson. Can I use them safely and realiably? Thanks.
    I copied this from another place:

airflyte, "Hyundai Tucson Maintenance and Repair" #10, 13 Jan 2007 12:57 pm#9

After my Tucson sits for two days, the battery goes dead. I took it to a Hyundai dealer and they showed me the Technical Service Bulletin for the Sonata, Tucson and Azera. The Bulletin number is 06-90-015, dated March 2006. The Bulletin states, "If the vehicle has to be stored for a long time, the power connector should be disconnected to prevent battery drain." I told the service manager that the car had only sat for two days, not for a long time. Their remedy was to pull the power connector (short connector) which is a 30amp fuse, located in the relay box passenger compartment. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem?

On another board I frequent, one Tucson owner had the same type problem you are describing. In his case the problem turned out to be a problem with the factory radio. Maybe your dealer should check that out. At the very least they should be able to determine what devices/accessories are still drawing current when the vehicle is off.

That bulletin 06-90-015 covers 2006-2007 model and said the radio is M280. But the M280 was used on 2005 model, too. So the battery problem on 2005 model is very likely caused by the radio, too.
  • wowzers17wowzers17 Member Posts: 2
    TSB 07-90-007 came out in July 2007. It directly states:

"Some Tucson vehicles equipped with the M280 audio receiver may exhibit a discharged battery if left parked, without being started or driven, for 2-3 days or more."

It lists that a re-manufactured radio should be replaced (likely a previously broken one with the defect worked out).

Take that TSB number to your dealer, and they should be able to help you.

Search for that TSB number on the internet and you can actually obtain a direct printout of the TSB to take with you as well.
  • blisowskiblisowski Member Posts: 2
    thanks to edmunds i was able to have my radio replaced and eliminate dead battery problems. My car would go dead after a few days of not driving. The dealer said everything was fine but two weeks later same problem dead battery. I told of edmunds. com and similar problems they replaced m 280 radio and guess what--no more problems

THANKS EDMUNDS
  • daisybuttonsdaisybuttons Member Posts: 2
    If you have a Hyundai Tucson 2005 or later-and are having battery going dead problems-most likely you do have a parasitic drain problem going on-I did-but my dealership denied it at first! they did replace my battery the one time-but after it would sit for a while it went dead also-the radio in my car was faulty-and it would make the computer think that it was on-even though I did turn it off-and everything else with it-I LEFT NOTHING ON!!! it would still drain the battery because of this radio-I just wanted to let everyone else know that may be your problem also-and it's nothing you are doing!! I almost lost my job-having to get up and try and jump this new car off-not expecting to have any problems with it-It has a good warranty but if the dealership won't recognize there's a problem-then you've just got to show them there is a problem! Mine got fixed-have had no problems since!-If they don't want to accept there is a problem-leave it with them and they'll see within a day or two-it won't start! hope ya'll get what you need out of these dealerships-you just have to work them! and don't let them have any slack!!! And by all means-THANK YOU EDMUNDS!!! I WOULD NOT HAVE EVER FOUND THIS PROBLEM!
  • pridgewaypridgeway Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem with my 2007 Tucson. I have a battery charger permantly set up near my car so I can restart it in a hurry. It's a bit rediculous. I am going to store it at an airport in a few days so I'll probably have to unplub the battery before I leave. That will be difficult with a baby in a stroller at 5 a.m. but it will save me when I arrive home at 11 p.m. three nights later. Or I'll need to park near a power outlet somewhere!
    I'll look into the factory radio problem. Thanks for your advice. My problem is very randon. It only happens about once a week, but I don't use the car daily so it's probably those times I leave it for a couple of days. :confuse:
  • mpremetzmpremetz Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with battery drainage that has happened once a week for the last 3 weeks. The battery has been replaced and the problem still exists. My power door locks also lock/unlock by themselves or just don't work. My local garage hasn't been able to determine the problem and the dealer wants $125 just to diagnose if there is a problem. Any suggestions?
  • amt2amt2 Member Posts: 1
    I just read the post dated Feb 10, 2010 (6:15 pm). I am having the exact same problem with by battery drainage (have since replaced it) and my power door locks also lock/unlock by themselves or just don't work. I now manually lock my doors and have not had a dead battery since. Just wondering if there are any suggestions or could it possibly be the radio problem that is causing the battery to go dead as I have read in a previous post? Thanks for any help on this!
  • calfeejonescalfeejones Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem for a while. I replaced the car battery, and still had the problem with the locks.

Took it into the dealer and they changed the computer that controls the security system. But I still had the problem.

Finally, they changed the Drivers Door Master Switch (all the buttons in the driver side door armrest). They told me that Hyundai told them that they havd found that a bad door lock switch has sometimes caused this. On my repair slip they mention Case # 3707735. This has taken care of the problem. You guys may want to talk to you dealers about this. - CJ
  • ablumny1ablumny1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Our 05 Tucson suddenly went dead. I replaced the original battery and had the charging system checked, all was good. A week later, dead again.

Coincidentally, a CD got stuck in the radio, then this problem appeared. If I have the described radio problem, does anyone think pulling the radio fuse would prevent the drain on the battery? I cant get to a dealer for a while.

thx
    andrew
  • daisiesmamadaisiesmama Member Posts: 3
    I am so relieved to hear of others experiencing whay I have with my Hyundai Tucson (2005). Since purchase in 06' the battery has been draining consistantly. The first time they replaced it for free, the second charged me 157. for another battery. That one drained in 3 months, they kept telling me it was the battery and nothing else. I had repeatedly asked them to check the door locks and all they would do is hit the button and say "well they are working fine now". Finally I had it taken to the dealer across town (I live in Vegas) and they replaced a mechanism in the locks. They worked for about a day and then it went back to me having to open the manually - the battery still drained. After them sitting on it for three days and only unplugging the cables and plugging them back in, they tell me there is nothing they can find wrong - I am ready to scream. I have a compliant in with corporate to try to get my $157 back but they cannot ever seem to receive my fax...
    At this point I will never buy a hyundai again - which stinks because I really do love my car (when it starts...).
    I will have them check both of these issues AGAIN and hopefully something will get fixed-thanks so much for all of the information.
    The door lock switch would usually work when I showed it to the dealer, but if we worked it several times in a row - say 5 or 10 - it would quit working, or switch some of the doors slowly or not at all. As I said in my previous post, Hyundai finally told them that there may be a problem with the door switch and after they changed it the problem was gone, and the battery quit draining. As I undersand it, the radio on my '05 Tucson was not one that was considered a problem. - CJ
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    One more thing to check. There was a problem on some Tucsons with a mis-aligned underhood switch that is connected to the alarm/security system. If it is misaligned, the security system is constantly drawing power but there are no outward signs that is doing so. Worth a look.
    For all the info, I am making a list for them to check off next time I bring it in, they are going to wish they sold me a car that works!
  • lunastar27lunastar27 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I've read and I agree with yawl that the 2005 Hyundai Tucson Radio drains batteries dead, so I had the dealership mechanic remove my radio fuse, and two mechanics at the Wilmington Dealership told me that the Hyundai's Radios are terrible because they cause the drainage problems, so people just replace them because there are no good! So if by removing the radio fuse stops the problem wahooo, if not then back I go to Herb Chambers or Bill Dube Hyundai and fight again with both of them, it stinks that you have to holler and scream to make a point with these two dealerships, and my car is still under warranty and yet when I need service I get pushed aside, I have an electrical drainage problem and neither one wants to do the work on the car, so what good is a warranty when the dealership won't do the work on it? C'mon I bought the damn car because I liked the features and I felt secure and safe, but now I'm not so sure anymore! :confuse: :cry: and winter is coming and I've got this problem so everyday even weekends I have to start the car up so it won't die on me! that sucks!
  • lunastar27lunastar27 Member Posts: 3
    I too have a 2005 Hyundai Tucson, and I'm on my 3rd battery, but this time I had the dealership mechanic remove the radio fuse, and now I'm hoping this stops the drainage! I will keep you posted, now if you let the car sits for 2 days the battery will
    turn up dead, then when AAA comes out to jump start, it's ok, then when you bring it to the dealership they say nothing's wrong with the battery, it's ok! then two weeks later is happens again same old thing happens, so with that said I blew my own fuse and told them to remove the radio fuse and now I see what happens next.
    I have finally had my battery draining issue fixed! Or at least for the time being... My battery had gotten to the point that I had to buy a portable charging unit, Hyundai refused to extend my roadside even though I could plainly show that the only times I had called them out was due to this one issue that they could not fix. I even called corporate offices many times with no help whatsoever. My solution was not the radio though, it was the door locks. Funny how it took them three years and two dealerships to finally listen to me, I had mentioned the door locks being a problem from the very first visit - I had just stopped using the keyless entry in hopes that it would make the battery last a bit longer.
    I have also heard of an alarm switch that could cause the problem so don't stop with the radio if it continues. Unfortunately I don't think that it can be narrowed down to one specific issue with these cars, it seems there are many defects and the consumer just has to suffer while the dealerships play us for fools - this car should have been recalled completely.
    I'm sure they have also told you of a switch you can disconnect if your car will be sitting for a long time (long time to them is two days) so the battery will not drain. Might work better for you than having to start it up when you don't want to leave the house.
    Good luck :)
  • cmac66cmac66 Member Posts: 3
    In my 05 I replaced the radio after reading about the radio drainage. I did have the defective radio, and I replaced it with a Alpine from Crutchfields. Install was easy, and I added buletooth and iPod controls. So that is good. Now, two years later, I am getting erratic door lock issues - the locks turn on and off by themselves. I am not sure if I can assume it is the master (driver) door lock switch or if the security computer has to be changed. I am clearly out of warranty. Does anyone have any test or troubleshooting that might help me get started. I do not trust the dealers until I think I know what is wrong.
  • cmac66cmac66 Member Posts: 3
    Now, two years after replacing one of the defective battery draining radios, I am getting erratic door lock issues - the locks turn on and off by themselves. I am not sure if I can assume it is the master (driver?) door lock switch or if the security computer has to be changed. I am clearly out of warranty. Does anyone have any test or troubleshooting that might help me get started. I do not trust the dealers until I think I know what is wrong.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    My wife has an 05 with the 6cd changer radio. Still has the original battery. Was it a different radio causing the problems?

I do have to agree about being dissappointed with how we've been dealt with over warranty issues, though. 1 out of 3... One reason I passed on the Sonata when I was looking for a sedan.
    OK, I think my (05 GLS) problem was solved. Within 2 years span I had used 3 new batteries, all Hyundai. My VIN was not within the range according the bulletin. But the radio looks exactly the one shown on it. So I could reasonably suspect the radio was bad. Because 3 batteries went to bad I told the dealership I am not going to replace battery with Hyundai brand every year and the delaership better recheck the radio. At first they did not want to check radio drain because it's out of warranty. Later the service adviser changed his mind and told me he needs a brand new battery to check the redio drain. So I went to walmart and bought a everstart battery and installed it myself and gave the car to the service. Later they told me there was no drain anywwhere. And he gave me a funny smile on the 3 Hyundai batteries I used with 2 years. Last month I had left the car there for nearly 4 weeks and it started right way. All I can say is try to make sure if there is battery drain anywhere. If you need a new battery, choose one at those major stores over the Hyundai brand which I believe was inferior to the popular 3rd party brand.
    I posted earlier in this thread about the door locks acting up and the battery draining at the same time. They replaced the driver side door locks panel ( the whole thing, it seems to be 1 single piece) and the security computer, and the problem was fixed. It sounds like they definitely have a problem with the lock switches. The locks would sometimes not work, or would work slowly. If you only tried them intermittently they would work, but work them several times in a row and they would not work correctly.

On my second trip to the dealer (after they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem a few months earlier) I sat there in the car and with the service guy and worked the locks until they malfunctioned. I then told him there was obviously something wrong, because they didn't work like that when they were new.

They contacted Hyundai, and Hyundai told them to change the lock switch panel because they had received some problem reports on it. In my previous post I listed a case number that may be helpful.
  • charma3charma3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Tuscon, that had the radio replaced for exact same problem. Draw was too much when off. There is a recall on that problem. Check out recalls!!. But mine now has a problem again starting......21,400 mi. on car. Battery changed at 10,000. Radio already changed per recall at 1,500mi. I will NEVER buy another Hyundai. Had a Olds Cutless for 12 years , never had any of these problems, ran like a top!! So sorry I got rid of it just because of a little rust underneath.
  • charma3charma3 Member Posts: 3
    They (Hyundai) had a recall out on the radio because of this problem. Check recalls.
  • tam5cdtam5cd Member Posts: 2
    When a Tucson in the family wouldn't start if the car sat idle for more than a couple of days, we found a note on the net suggesting the problem could be in any of a few areas of the electrical system, e.g., radio, automatic door lock system.

The dealer charged $105 for diagnostic service but did not identify the culprit(s).

Today, we disconnected the negative lead to the battery and inserted an ammeter. When first connected, the current surged to about 4 amps, then slowly settled down to a constant 1.47 amperes.

We removed the fuses (dash board) one at a time and identified two problems. The automatic door lock system was pulling almost an amp, dropping the current indicated to 0.5 amp. The second area was the interior lights, even though they were set to the off position.

We reconnected the battery and put the two fuses aside for now.

Finally, we tested lights, turn signals, etc and all okay.

The entire process took about 45 minutes.

The car, bought used about a year ago, is out of warranty so we need to decide how to proceed.

Any suggestions?
  • eertyeknomeertyeknom Member Posts: 1
    Hi

What recall was this? I can't find it anywhere and I've been having constant problems with my battery dying if I don't drive my car for a few days. I've gotten brand new batteries and still had it happen within a month of replacing the battery.

Thanks
  • nancy361nancy361 Member Posts: 2
    After reading these posts and automotive forums..im still not sure what happened to my car...only had it for 2yrs this past halloween....went away for a week and the car sat. came home went to get in and go out and it was dead completely.....Im thinking your kidding. I just put a new battery in it in the spring, a good one.....so why is it dead....i dont leave anything on either....im almost afraid to take it to the dealer in springfield , PA.. cause we all know how they are....My warranty expires in May 2011.....but i have a certified preowned vehicle for engine and trans, lifetime. but the basic stuff is done in May....Im no pushover, but not sure what to do to get it figured out whats causing this...never happened again cause i drive it everyday....bought it in 2008, its only got 39K on it.....I did hear that 06s have electrical issues.....mine is just about pd off too. now i hear 05s have issues too? thats when tucson came out, so bound to be quirks...wonder if the 2011s are having any issues or 2010s... maybe ill call hyundai themselves and find out what to do before warranty is done.....i like the car..it serves its purpose. no lock issues either as of yet....thanks
  • jaynehjayneh Member Posts: 1
    You guys are going to be so HAPPY! I have the answer to your battery drain problems. I have been having the same battery problems described here. Dealer says nothing wrong with the car except that it needs a new battery??? This would be the third one. Oh, and the fact that I just don't drive it enough. I'd like to drive more but it often won't start.
    I wrote to the Hyundai corp. office and the rep told me the answer. Wait for it.......it is because we don't lock the car doors at night! HA! That's what the man said. I'm sure those of you who leave your cars in parking lots and airport parking are leaving your cars unlocked.
    But just in case..he asked that I take back to the dealership for them to check it. I just had it there a week before and they assured me that they ran every test known and nothing was wrong. So, I guessing that they developed new tests in the last week. I mean that just has to be it cause I'm sure they wouldn't have lied to me.
    I have an 07 Tucson...it has about 22000 miles on it. You can tell from that just about how often I can't use it. I, too keep a battery charger setting in front of the car! I've been late to work so often :confuse: they think my starting time is about noon!
  • nancy361nancy361 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    ha , that is a joke... i park my car out front of my house all the time. AND LOCK my doors ALL the time..... it hasnt happened again since the 1st time it did in august, and that was cause it sat all week while i was away, and it was locked and everything was shut off in it....i was thinking of calling to see whats up too before my warranty runs out. i have a V6 2006. i was told that 06 had electrical issues by someone AFTER i bought it...
  • angry8angry8 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2010 Hundai Tucson with battey problems. We don't drive the car everyday. So the first time it happened, the dealership played it off as though the previous battery was not any good. The second time, I was angry. We were told that the concrete drains the battery power. How many vehicles are not sitting on concrete? Then the service manager told my husband to remove the fuse when it was sitting for a long period of time. Well, this third time it was in the garage for one day and the battery was completely dead. When I called the dealship, they sent out a wrecker truck and are now keeping it over the weekend. I spoke to the service manager, who assured me that something would be done. I also spoke to the former sales manager who says he would assist in finding out the problem. But after reading this forum, I don't believe I will get any help. Hundai has known about this problem and is refusing to acknowledge it. I think it is time for action. I will let you guys know on Monday what the outcome is.
  • buerkletucsonbuerkletucson Member Posts: 21
    Do you have the limited with the auto diming mirror?
    We have the SE, if that helps. It is in the shop, so I am not really sure.
  • buerkletucsonbuerkletucson Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2011
    SE?
    Sure it's a 2010 model? I thought the last year of the Tucson SE was 2009.

Anyway,
    The reason I mention the auto-dimming mirror is there was a big problem with them wiring it incorrectly. This is done at port..............It had power applied all the time and was supposed to be wired to shut off with the ignition.
    Many people had problems with it draining the battery if you didn't drive the car for a few days.
    Good luck on your problem......

Please let us know how it turns out.....Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2011
    We were told that the concrete drains the battery power

Please tell the dealer that your friends at Edmunds enjoyed the laugh. At least I did. :)

Battery FAQ (JDGarden.com)

You might try opening a case directly with Hyundai.
    edited March 2011
    After keeping the car over the weekend, the service department told me that it started right up and they believe that I had left the parking lights on. What a crock. I knew there was no need in arguing, so I called consumer affairs and they informed me that I could take it to another dealership, so I contacted the nearest dealership, which it about 45 miles away. I told them the problem and ask that I drop off the car on Friday and that they not start it until Morday. They agreed. Later, I received a call from my service dept. asking me if I could leave the car with them for a few days and that they would give me a loaner. They wanted to research the problem more. They also wanted copies of these postings to review. So I agreed. If I don't get any results, I will take it to the other dealer. My husband wants to trade the car in and forget the headaches. I love my car. If you had a pet and was sick you wouldn't give it away, you would try and find out what's making it sick. That is how I feel about my car. I want to know the problem and I want to keep my car. So if necessary, if my service dept. can't find the problem, I will take it to every dealership in the surrounding area. There is going to be a service dept. somewhere who will find the problem and fix it. Or at least I am hoping for that. I don't know how long I can get my husband to go along with me. This posting should have responded to Tucson battery vice Tucson battery and alternator. I don't know if I have alternator problems. I could who knows.
    Hang in there - you are doing the right thing. I had to take mine in several times and get pretty stern with them. They finally replaces the drivers side automatic windows switches, and I haven't had a problems since. This is for a 2005 Tucson.
  • madathyundaimadathyundai Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issues with my used 2005 Tuscon that I bought 6 months ago, I really need some help..the battery being dead every day is stressing me out, and driving me crazy! I called the dealership and Hyundai, no one seems to care at all or want to help with this issue. For all who have been going through this, can someone give me some facts on what HAS actually worked, and if they have gotten and response or help fixing this issue from Hyundai? I am going back to the dealership monday, they clearly have no clue or are just playing dumb in regards to handeling fixing my vehicle. I would like to go in with as much info as possible to resolve this ASAP!
  • madathyundaimadathyundai Member Posts: 2
    I am struggling with my 2005 Hyundai Tuscon. I love the car but fed up with the problems. I seem to have the classic battery being drained by either the posessed lock system, the alarm system, or the radio issue. IDK if all three are the culprit, or what? Anyway, I was on the phone yesterday from a supervisor at the Hyundai corp. and pretty much got no where with Hyundai taking responsiblity for this being a factory issue that they should be recalling and fixing for all Hyundai Tuscon owners. I asked, "what will it take to create a recall on this vehicle for this issue"? I could get no straight answer, only that I had "done the right thing" by calling to inform them of this issue! When I asked how many people it would take to call complaining to get a recall, she did not have that info, nor could she connect me with the person who has that info, as that is an internal process! Must be TOP SECRET!!! REALLY...OMG, I am at the end of my rope. I just want my car fixed, if anyone has the facts straight on this, please HELP. I could really use any helpful info before I return to the Dealer on Monday to get another line of BS. So, for anyone going or having gone through this, if a recall actually happens, you can be reimbursed for all money put into fixing this issue with your Tuscon. I am encouraging EVERYONE effected by this to call Hyundai and file a complaint..maybe then we can get this issue fixed with less hassle! The number is (800) 633-5151...Please CALL!!! :cry:
  • collegeprof3collegeprof3 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with my 2006 since December 2010. Had the car for 5 years with no major problems. I read the threads on this website and had my mechanic disconnect the fuse for the radio/ power mirrors to see if that was the problem. BINGO. Since the disconnect, no dead batteries, regardless if I park it on concrete {:)}, let the sit without running for as much as a week, etc. I went to an electrical shop that specializes in cars and they suggested just replacing the radio. Haven't done that yet. Not sure why the problem started after 5 years. My daughter had a Santa Fe and no problems ever. She sold it for $7,000 with 110,000 mile son it.
  • 05tucsonglgal05tucsonglgal Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I have a 2005 Tucson GLS V6, and like so many others, I have had the battery drain issue. The first two times it was under warranty. The second two times I had to pay for the battery replacement. The dealers both in CA and IL always said silly things like I must have left the lights on, etc. I *always* turn everything off (lights, radio, AC, etc.) whenever I turn off the engine. Every single occurrence happened when I hadn't driven the car in 4 days (it was in a covered garage). After reading so many forums around the web discussing this issue, I decided to do an experiment when I knew I was going out of town for a week earlier this month. I am *not* mechanically inclined, but I learned from these discussions where the Tucson power connector was. Right before my trip, I opened up the side panel (to the left of the steering wheel) and, using rubber gloves, I pulled the power connector (biggest yellow rectangle at bottom of space) out just enough so that it was disconnected (the dome light went off, power locks stopped working, etc.). Here's a repost of the link that helped me locate it: http://www.justanswer.com/hyundai/3w4si-2006-hyundai-tucson-bought-new-almost-ev- - ery-time.html
    I figured I couldn't lose with this experiment. At worst, my car would not start upon my return, which is what would definitely happen if I just left it sitting all week. And voila--when I came back from my trip, I pushed the connector back in place, and my car started right away! No dead battery! Of course, I had to reset the clock and the radio stations in my car once I put the connector back in, but that (in my mind) is a small price to pay compared to the alternative (car not starting, having to get new battery). For those of you who only experience the battery drain issue if your car sits more than 48hrs, this might just do the trick for you. And the car doesn't have to go to the shop at all. Yay!
  • tucson11tucson11 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2011 Tucson with the auto dimming mirror, and have been experiencing the dead battery issue for a number of months. We hear the doors lock and unlock during the night, and the battery has died on us. We have 3000 on the vehicle, and it has been to the service dept to no avail. They cannot identify an issue with it. We did not realize that we only had two Roadside assistance calls a year, and have used them both up on jump starts. Has anyone found a resolution to this issue yet? I wish I saw this thread five months ago, I would never have purchased this vehicle.
  • tam5cdtam5cd Member Posts: 2
    See my post (as TAM5CD) to see how I identified the culprits on an '05 Tucson after the dealer was no help. From your post, I see that Hyundai still has a problem that has persisted for several years. We got rid of the Hyundai we had.

TAM5CD
    The locks switching at random times were the final clues for my '05. I could reproduce them switching slow by switching the driver side button many times in a row. I finally insisted the dealer do something about it.

After they contacted Hyundai, Hyundai reported that they had had problems with the driver's side door control panel - the panel with the window and lock switches on the driver door armrest.

After they changed that the problem went away.
    the dealership in Port Arthur Tx finally resolved the problem. The electrical system in the mirror was wired incorrectly, therefore draining the battery. After keeping the car for a couple of weeks, the problem was found. We have had no problems since then. Believe you me everytime I left the car for more than 24 hours I would dread coming home to see if it started. No problems anymore. Now I am loving my car. Hope this helps others.
  • lg11085lg11085 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

I never really had a problem with my 06 Tucson until one day I popped a CD in and the player didn't recognize the CD. Then my car would not start if left to sit for 48 hours. I thought it was the battery so I had a new one installed. That battery was defective and under warrenty so it was replaced. When the battery started to die again after a month, I knew it wasn't the battery. The dealership figured it was the radio and took out the fuse. I left it there on purpose for a few days and went to pick it up. No surprise it didn't start! They were extremely embarrassed over this and assured me they would find the problem. They did. It was the door switch along with the radio that was draining the battery. If you have this issue, I would recommend you have those two items checked. It took 16 days for them to figure out what the issue was. I hope you don't have to wait as long for your issue to be found.
  • piper2006piper2006 Member Posts: 2
    After bringing our Tucson in to the dealership because of door lock problems only to hear that there's nothing wrong AND after calling the dealership again and again only to hear there's still nothing wrong AND now hearing the warranty is only good now for the engine AND two batteries in two years later AND being tired of having to jump the car if it sat more than 24 hours because of a dead battery, we decided to FIX IT OURSELVES! Because of the advice in these forums we decided to remove the power lock fuse. The legend on the fuse box does not show which is the power door locks but it is the same fuse as the sunroof. One week later...NO MORE PROBLEMS! It's a shame after reading all the posts that Hyundai chooses not to address the problem. Shame on them!
  • piper2006piper2006 Member Posts: 2
    Update....let the car sit for 4 days. Started right up!
  • rusowskirusowski Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Tucson has the same battery, lock and radio issues. Vehicle will not start after sitting for two days. Had to go to Harbor Freight and buy a jump start kit to keep in the back seat. I just talked to Hyundai North America and started a case investigation. Customer Service Rep told me to take it back to my dealer and have them check in out. Everyone knows that is costs $100.00 just to drive into the dealership. Will keep this post updated .