Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 4WD Problems

sidbsidb Member Posts: 26
edited July 2014 in Honda
I just bought a Honda Pilot , in Feb 2008 , and i found so many issues with my Pilot. I have faxed Honda and the dealer, but i need to know my options and your suggestions.

Problem 1: 50 % of the Engine starts lead to a Loud Ting noise from the Engine.

Problem 2: The Driver Car Door doesn’t close properly unless extra force is applied.

Problem 3: There is periodic noise which comes from one of the wheels. The noise is easily hearable with open glasses, the PILOT needs to run few miles, before this noise starts coming.

Problem 4: I think there is a safety concern, on driving the vehicle at high speeds on an expressway. The vehicle sometimes shivers.

Please Suggest and help me. Does anyone else also have any kind of issues.

Comments

• joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    We also picked ours up in Feb and we haven't had any problems. The only thing that does bother me, however, is that it seems to shift hard for 1st gear. It revs up over 3,000 RPM's before sliding into 2nd. It is a bit loud when doing so also. I guess I've never owned a larger truck though, so this could be normal. Sorry I can't share any of your experiences. You should definitely complain to the dealer. They need to actually be shown the problems though. Otherwise they won't do anything. Take it in one day when you have a minute and show them the problems. Complain about not being satisfied and so on. You could maybe even return the car and upgrade to an EX or something? Worth a shot. Good luck!
  • spacedogspacedog Member Posts: 8
    When our 2004 pilot EX-L 4WD leased ended, we decided to lease another in January 2008. The driving experience between the two is like night and day.
    1. A light acceleration from a stop yields gear shifts at 3500+ RPMs... great for gas mileage, right? 2nd to third is not much better.
    2. Driving in the range of 40-50 MPH, with minimal grade changes, the vehicle downshifts, upshifts, tach fluctuates between 1600 to 2500 RPMs.
    3. Average of 14.6 MPG combined city/highway driving
    4. XM radio fades in and out every 15 seconds.

Took the vehicle back to the dealer three times about Items #1, #2 and #3. Each of the technicians said that the it was normal. Control systems are not supposed to work this way, I told them. For goodness sake, I drove an 04 for 4 years. I spoke with the Service Manager and he put me in touch with the regional Honda Rep. It turns out that he Honda Rep was experiencing the same low end shifting issues and the gear searching between 40-50MPH in his own 08 pilot, but wrote it off as..."I guess I just have to live with it"

I asked him how these types of issues get resolved, because clearly this is an engineering/software problem. He stated that there needs to be a sufficient number of complaints to warrant an investigation from Honda Engineering. The only way these complaints are heard is through the regional reps and/or the Honda Tech Line. Once a critical mass of complaints are received, they will start looking at the problem.

In order to have your complaints heard, insist that your dealer service tech & manager contact the Honda Tech Line to record the complaint. This is crucial to getting these issues fixed

The door is not shut...I am scheduled to take the vehicle in on Monday to work with the service techs to record snippets of OBD data while driving. They will send the data over to Honda Engineering for a look/see. Maybe we'll all get lucky.
  • tiaciatiacia Member Posts: 20
    BRAND NEW 2008 PILOT -- ONLY 550 MILES -- LOUD KNOCKING NOISES AT BACK EVERYTIME I BREAK -- ORIGINALLY WITHIN THE 1st 100 MILES, I ONLY HEARD ONE KNOCKING SOUND -- NOW THERE IS SEVERAL KNOCKS EACH TIME I BREAK -- I AM COMMITTED TO A 5 YEAR PLAN OF PAYMENTS FOR THIS PILOT -- NOW IT BOTHERS ME TO HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING FLAWED -- OTHER COMMENTS I READ OF 2006 MODELS HAVING THE SAME DILEMMA, I READ THOSE COMMENTS ABOUT THE HONDA DEALERS AND AMERICAN HONDA DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT --------- IF I FIND MY HONDA DEALER IS NOT ABLE TO RESOLVE IT, I AM THINKING OF NOTIFYING THE MEDIA --------- NBC IS PRETTY GOOD ABOUT REPORTING FLAWS ON COMPANIES --------- HOW ABOUT LETTING THEM KNOW ABOUT HONDA PILOT LEMONS ? --------- ANY COMMENTS FROM OTHERS?
  • sidbsidb Member Posts: 26
    i think that would be the gas moving, the problem is that these problems are not considered lemons :-( , is no safety concerns.
    O.K. -- VOID THE LEMON ISSUE -- I AM STILL UNEASY ABOUT THE KNOCKING NOISE WHEN I COME TO A STOP, OR BACK DOWN A DRIVEWAY -- THE OTHER FACTOR IS THE SWISHING SOUND, WHICH I THINK IS THE SOUND OF THE GASOLINE, WHICH IS HEARD ALONG WITH THE KNOCKING SOUND -- HOW SAFE CAN MY PASSENGERS BE, RIDING IN BACK? -- I AM PAYING TOO MUCH FOR SUCH FLAWS -- MY OTHER LESS-EXPENSIVE AUTOS OF THE PAST DID NOT HAVE SUCH DILEMMAS -- WORD NEEDS TO GET OUT FOR ALL CONSUMERS DEALING WITH THE SAME ISSUE -- I WANT TO KNOW WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT
    SEEKING ADVICE -------- I HAVE A NEW 2008 2W VP PILOT -- ONLY 550 MILES -- I HEAR LOUD KNOCKING NOISES IN THE VERY BACK EVERYTIME I BREAK -- ORIGINALLY WITHIN THE 1st 100 MILES, I ONLY HEARD ONE KNOCKING SOUND. WHEN BREAKING -- NOW THERE ARE SEVERAL KNOCKS EACH TIME I BREAK, AND I HEAR THE GASOLINE SWISHING IN THE TANK AS I AM COMING TO A STOP -- I FEEL UNSAFE WHEN IT COMES TO PASSENGERS RIDING IN THE BACK -- I AM STILL CONSIDERING NOTIFYING THE MEDIA IF HONDA WILL NOT RESOLVE THIS -- I HAVE ALREADY READ OTHER COMPLAINTS WHERE HONDA IS NOT OFFERING A SOLUTION -- I AM SURPRISED HONDA WOULD PRODUCE AN EXPENSIVE AUTO WITH SUCH FLAWS :(
    F.Y.I.
    HONDA PILOT BUYERS -------- I JUST FOUND A CONSUMER WEBSITE FOR HONDA COMPLAINTS -- IDEAL FOR ANY HONDA PILOT COMPLAINT -- FOR EXAMPLE, THE KNOCKING SOUND IN THE BACK EVERYTIME YOU COME TO A STOP -- ALSO THE GASOLINE-SWISHING SOUND ACCOMPANYING THE KNOCKING SOUNDS -- I FIGURE IF PLENTY OF PEOPLE PUT THEIR OPINIONS OUT, THERE IS A BETTER CHANCE FOR RESOLUTION -------- http://www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tkastnertkastner Member Posts: 1
    I also have a brand new '08 Pilot VP AWD with the exact same transmission issues as you describe. I find them very irritating. Previously we had an '05 Odyssey that I believe has the same engine/transmission, and it was as smooth as silk. Mine has the towing package. I read on another site that the fuse that is installed with the package changes the shift points. I do not know if this is true or not. I plan on following up with the dealer. The car only has 800 miles on it, and seems at its worst when cold, or in cold weather.
    Turn off the CAPS LOCK if you want people to read your posts and take your seriously. That gives most people a headache just looking at them. It does sound rather odd that you would hear a "knocking" noise in the rear of the car. You need to take it to your dealer and have them look at it. They don't charge to check things like this after all. I can't even tell from your posts if you have taken it to the dealer yet.

Also try not to post multiple times within an hour period. Most people won't get to this forum until a day or two after you have posted. That's just the way it works. We aren't paid to give advice on this site or anything. Hope you get your problems figured out. Good luck.
    My original 2 messages were in CAPS. Thanks for your great concern, but i was already scolded by the 2 Honda hosts. I was only doing it out of habit, being I write in all-capitals, like any typical engineer..

You'll find all following messages I posted were no longer in all caps. Also, if you read further, you will find I posted a message saying the dealership claims the knocking noise to be "normal" (which still bothers me a bit).

And, there are others Pilot owners describing the same dilemma. Furthermore, being the car is a brand new Pilot, I am aware the dealership would not charge any cost.

But thanks for taking the time to express such great concern !!! Have a Great Evening !!! :-) TiaCia
  • honhon Member Posts: 34
    Calm down abit. Step back and take a breath. It only has 500 miles. You say your an engineer, what do you think is causing the trouble? Find out what others are doing. Getting mad a threating a law suit and screaming at a dealer will not help you get it fixed. Keep this up and no one will help you. They have you by the you know whats. Go to the Honda Owners Link and find what they are doing. Do the research and then tell Honda what is wrong.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but i was already scolded by the 2 Honda hosts

You weren't scolded. You were given friendly advice. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • auditor05auditor05 Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 2008 Pilot and from day one there is knowking noise when left rear wheel hits bumps. Dealer said this is "body flex" though since my first of many Honda's since 1980, never heard body flex, and never once had to return to the dealer. American workmanship seems to have krept into the assembly line down there at Alabama Honda.
    Anyway, any thoughts out there on this.
    Thanks.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I also heard a sound around the right rear wheel when the right wheel went over a bump while cornering. It is not loud, think it is the up/down action causes suspension part scrapping/rubbing with some parts near by.

My ex-Mazda MPV used to have same when the front goes over the speed bumps in parking lot. I think nothing is alarming, but is worth to mention the dealer when in for maintanence service.
    Hi Auditor05 ----

I bought a 2008 Honda Pilot back in March ---- When test driving it, I did not hear that knocking sound -- It was about 1-1/2 weeks later when it started, which made me think something was going wrong ---- When taking it to the dealership, they claimed that was "normal" ---- The guy then gave me a copy of a 2003 article titled "Thump From Sloshing Fuel Is OK" ---- This article goes on to say the fuel sloshing in the long narrow fuel tank cannot be stopped as it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle

It seemed peculiar that the sound was not there at the time I test drove it, but then it came later ---- Had I heard it at that time, I would not have made the purchase

I received an e-mail inquiry from Koichi Kondo, President of American Honda, with a survey link, where I think everyone should state their opinion of this knocking noise : http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/site/site_RDSurvey.asp?ty=1&id=6849389 ---- This link has a section for comments ---- In my opinion, the design causing this annoying noise-factor lacks intelligence ---- Word needs to get out about Honda’s unintelligence

I also received an inquiry from Anthony Ty, Manager of Strategic Planning & Research, for American Honda Motors ---- His e-mail is researchdepartment@ahm.honda.com

I hope this reply is of some help to you !!
    TiaCia
  • cobikercobiker Member Posts: 4
    Bump!

I'm experiencing the same issues with regards to the shifting of the automatic transmission on our new '08 Honda Pilot 4WD EX-L.

1. From a stop yields gear shifts at 3500+ RPMs...2nd to third is not much better.
    2. Driving in the range of 40-50 MPH, with minimal grade changes, the vehicle remains too long in a low gear before shifting up.
    3. Average MPG running about 20 MPG combined city/highway driving

Any ideas? I've checked AllData and they don't have any bulletins regarding this issue.
    UPDATE: the noise was caused by a bad suspension part. When I advised the dealership manager about the "body flex" explanation, it turned out to be a bad day for the repair manager, and the problem was finxed right away. Apparently Honda America is aware of this problem as it has happened to many vehicles, even to the extent that it is addressed in detail on the repair/recall site available only to dealers from Honda. they have yet to come up with a repair solution for the sloshing fuel which sounds like knowking also.
    Hope this helps.
  • luvr1luvr1 Member Posts: 7
    14,000 miles with fabric seats that pucker. The fabric near the back of the driver's seat, where most of my weight is, has puckered enough that it is very noticeable. The passenger side looks similar but is a much smaller pucker since most of the time I am the only person in the car. Has anyone noticed anything similar? Recourse?
    auditor05

what is the exact wording re this fix on the sheet that dealer gave back to you. Are there any number or key words (spare part name) to go with so that my dealer can pull out the same info on how to fix the parts?
    Yeah, the high shifting drives me crazy. I find myself actually letting off the gas to allow it to shift ahead of time. Keeping your foot lightly...and I do mean lightly on the gas allows it to get up too high in my opinion before shifting. I showed a friend and he said it was just loud because it is a big truck. I'm used to driving cars, so apparently they are different? I still don't buy it.

This is very frustrating for a young, middle class family that had always held the Pilot in high regards. Everything else on it is great, don't get me wrong. I just want those darn shift points fixed! Any ideas, updates, etc... guys?
    bigdadi118
    If you have an email address, I will scan and send you the work order that was prepared.
    auditor05
    apprcsiate it. Pls shoot one to ur798 [at] yahoo [dot] com
    I've been off the forum for a long time. Decided to check to see if I'm the only crazy one... looks like I'm not. If you saw my posts on this issue close to a year ago, I've have issues from day one with the shift points. A year later and no improvements. My 04 was great, however I can't say that for the 08. One thing that I like about the 08, is whenever I drive through the mountains (not often), the response it great and makes driving much nicer on inclines and curves. Problem is that is eats gas like a hog. I can honestly say that aftermy lease is up in two years, I won't be going back to a pilot
    The tranny will shift in LOWER RPMs instead of high RPM 3000 - 3500, when you keep an eye on the RPM, hold on the gas pedal and have the RPM steady at 2000 - 2500 RPM (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc) ... the result is SLOWER timing on gear shift and high shift point can be changed to lower as long as not keep pressing the gas pedal to higher RPM.
    I've done everything...I can make the tranny shift at 2000 -2500, if I drive the thing like a manual and let off the gas or baby foot the gas like some others have recommended. It's a drivability issue that was poorly designed. I have not heard any technical reason from Honda or anyone else as to how these "standard" shift points are better for fuel economy or drivability. The 04 that I had for 4 years shifted just fine and got much better mileage. I am no lead foot and drive very conservative... and always have been, but to have to watch the tach on an automatic transmission during normal driving conditions is ridiculous.
  • ll53ll53 Member Posts: 2
    Could you send me a copy of the work order also, I am looking at an 08 VP and would like to know more about these issues.

Thanks
    llhill3@gmail.com
  • lg2207lg2207 Member Posts: 28
    Hi There-
    My '08 is experiencing same knocking issue- can you send me the TSB or the solution so I can bring it to the dealer.
    PM to LG2207@gmail.com
    Regards,
    -Larry
    Lg2207
  • ll53ll53 Member Posts: 2
    If you look in the coupon book (dealer stamps when PM done at recommended intervals) it mentions adjusting the valves if they are making an unusual amount of noise. I had this done on mine and it got rid of 90% of the racket coming from under the hood. I have never had a V6, (inline 6, or 4 for that matter) that makes as much racket as this model does. Other than that and a camshaft replacement, its been pretty trouble free.
This discussion has been closed.