Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Bravada

Comments

• darrylhuffmandarrylhuffman Member Posts: 3
    A couple of years ago you posted a question on the forum about the seat heating and adusting not working.

I now have the same problem.

Did you ever find a fix for it?

Darryl Huffman
  • bct41551bct41551 Member Posts: 5
    Where do I find a wiring diagram and parts for a combination tail light for a 2002 Olds Bravada?

I have swapped bulbs, (left to right) and also the sockets. The passenger side taillight doesn't work (brake light does) when I swap the sockets the problem stays on the passenger side. HELP please
  • ajsbravadaajsbravada Member Posts: 2
    hi , I own a 2002 bravada. its got about 94000 miles and it really has been a great vehicle. just recently have started having a problem with my battery dying. I replaced it and over nite it died again. its drawing power from something while the car is off. i checked all the fuses for a short or maybe an arc to try to find the problem. ive been unsuccesful in my search and was hoping someone might be able to lead me in the right direction. thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to have the alternator checked.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jcosciajcoscia Member Posts: 2
    What is the Labor time approx for replacing the encoder motor. I just received the news from chevy that this is my issue and had it confirmed by 2 other GM employees.
  • gspot64gspot64 Member Posts: 1
    hello all,new to the group here but have had my 99 bravada for about three years now and it is giving me fits!
    the thing overheats and i cant tell why.
    the thermostat has just been replaced, and i flushed the system out twice now.
    the clutch fan seems good and it will run pretty cool at an idle but as soon as i take it out for a test drive it heats up. anyone here have any clues? :sick:
  • muskeymuskey Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced the right wheel bearing several months ago and it cured a simular noise. I am getting a progressively louder noise (sounds like meshed gears without oil) that gets louder with speed. I have replaced the left wheel bearing recently with no improvement. The transfer case fluid level is ok. I am afraid that there is a serious problem, I have evenly worn tires with the same pressures. They are worn but not extreamly. I can feel the noise in the steering wheel and the floor.
  • raejohnikenraejohniken Member Posts: 1
    the air bags deployed. now the car will not even start. the battery is working but when u turn the key it does nothing. is there a reset button for the airbags and where would it be? i want to drive it to be fixed. please help me if u can.
    thanks
    rae
  • 33mac33mac Member Posts: 2
  • 69ltd69ltd Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2000 Bravada. Have replaced fuel pump about three times after 150,000 miles. After third pump car still did not run right, kept stalling and not starting after sitting over night. I bought a conversion kit that converts CSFI to MPFI. This is a direct replacement fuel injection system from GM. The original is very bad for clogging and needs the exact amount pressure of the fuel pump for it to work properly. I installed this unit about a year ago and the vehicle has never ran better. I bought the unit at GMpartsdirect.com and I think it costs around $300. Took about four hours to install and is fairly involved but can be done if you take your time and read the instructions. This website explains it to: http://www.theautoshop.net/VortecMPFI.htm
  • brnemerbrnemer Member Posts: 1
    you shouldnt have tried to fix the problem yourself,there has been a recall on taillight issues take it to a dealer they should fix it for free..
  • nascar14nascar14 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing, Did you ever find out what the problem was?
  • volturevolture Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 Old Bravada that won't start on it's own. i have replaced the fuel filter and pump. spark plugs, wires, distributer, cap and rotor, battery and it still will not start. i put starter fluid in the air intake and it fires right up and runs fine, fuel economy is real bad, but i can get to work. we hooked up a pressure gage to the fuel line and with car on not running, it reads 40psi. with the car running it reads 55psi. any ideas, thanks to all who try to help. =)
  • pd2010pd2010 Member Posts: 1
    Hell y'all;
    After reading all these posts it seems everyone feels the same, the Bravada is a love it/hate it type of vehicle. My problem is starting in cold temperatures (under 32 degrees). Live in a rural area with old automotive technicians and feel like I am chasing ghosts.
    1. Have to pump the accelerator to get the vehiclt to start and this can take 10-15 minutes but eventually starts (except when it was -20 wind chill).
    2. Fuel gauge is erratic when vehicle starts and sometimes at a stop sign. Also does not show fuel level, it is either pegged to a full tank, at 3/4 or suddenly drops with a "low fuel" light, and it is correct at that point.
    3. Have replaced battery (new but straining due to start problems) and cleaned fuel filter, no change.

From this and other sites I am down to 3 possibles: Throttle Position Sensor, Fuel Pump Relay or Fuel Pressure Regulator. Diagnostics do not show any faults, though I understand the TPS can be giving a signal to the ECU just happens to be the wrong single. I have noticed the temperature on the panel readout may not match the radio reproted temperature (warmer reading than actual?) and understand it may not be asking for enough fuel. But I am also parked in a garage over night and that may be the difference?

Any similar issues or suggestions.
  • paleflashlightpaleflashlight Member Posts: 1
    Yes, we recently bought an 04 Bravada and the dealership said they "fixed it" but the problem consists. Very annoying and we don't know what to do about it!
  • nugenuge Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Bravada AWD w/90000 miles and have noticed a whining noise on deceleration, never on acceleration. Seems like the transmission? My son is a "learning mechanic" on diesel engines and thinks the seal on the transfer case may be leaking, so maybe low on fluid? Also, while I like a warm toosh on the cold winter days in Illinois lately the seat gets so hot on the right side it feels like it is burning my leg. I bought my Olds new and love the car but am hoping this is not the beginning of many troubles to come. Any insight?
  • jcosciajcoscia Member Posts: 2
    if it disengaged, its your encoder motor. dont let the dealer do it, they will charge close to 800. the part itself isnt much and the labor to do it is minimal
    The AWD on my 2002 Bravada doesn't work at all

So how do I get an "encoder motor"?

Is there a part number I can order?
    I recently bought a used 2002 Olds Bravada and really like it.

The seller gave me a package with all the service and repairs receipts over the years.

When I went through it, I was dumbfounded by all the repairs the car had needed.

It seemed like the auto spent most of the past 7 years in the shop.

I have owned Subaru's for the past 20 years and find them to be almost bullet proof with very little in the way of repair work.

I had to buy a bigger car as I had polio as a child and simply can no longer get into and out of a smaller car.

The Bravada fits me great.

But I am not looking forward to all the repairs it looks like I will be facing in the future.

When the driver's seat moved forward by itself and froze in position, I was able to fix that problem by simply removing and re-inserting a couple of the fuses in the fuse box under the back seat.

But the AWD does not work at all and, living in Alaska, that makes driving very "iffy" at best.

So it looks like an "encoder motor" is in my future plans before next winter.

Thanks for the tip.
  • mtb440mtb440 Member Posts: 4
    Where is the flasher located and how can i replace it? Is it a big job or can anyone do it?
  • mtb440mtb440 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to replace the flasher and where it is located? Is it a big job or can anyone do it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • sarasmile1964sarasmile1964 Member Posts: 1
    My Service AWD light is stuck on; it drives like it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle in the snow. I've already had all four ball joints replaced in the front, radiator replaced, catalytic converter replaced, muffler replaced, both wheel bearings in the front (which I need to get done again a year later), intake manifold gaskets replaced and now yesterday, for the first time, I stopped at a gas station and after filling up I started her up, drove about 10 feet and lost ALL power. No flashers, couldn't take the key out of the ignition. I heard a couple of clicks under the dash inside on the passenger side, all the lights on the instrument panel went on then nothing. 15 minutes later, I hear a couple of clicks from the same place and it reset itself.

I love my Bravada but I bought it used a year and a half ago and all the above work has been done in that time - almost $4000. I don't know what the hell is going on with the electrical, I know the AWD is going to cost a fortune and last but not least, when I drive 50 or over, it tends to rock back and forth really bad. Not up and down, but back and forth. I had the suspension checked out and it's solid. I was told it could be from the AWD not working and grabbing the road - what do you all think?
  • bugbajabugbaja Member Posts: 3
  • pappy13pappy13 Member Posts: 1
  • ibcavemanibcaveman Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this site. I'm looking at a 2003 bravada with non functioning AWD. I'm sure I can figure out the problem and fix it. My question is...Oncce AWD is functioning, is the vehicle worth keeping and repairing as it gets older? It is going to be cheep to buy so the cost to repair AWD is not a major issue. I just don't want to waste my slim recources on a dud. Thanks in advance for any forthcoming answers!
  • skimsurfskimsurf Member Posts: 6
    I just bought my brother in laws bravada. He had some issues with it, but its in good shape, and I got it for a good price. The only problem it has at the moment is the dash lights dont work. I checked the fuses, and he said something about a switch in the dash. I guess it isnt a huge deal, but I would like to fix it. He did put an aftermarket cd player in, and I had a cherokee with the same issue once I put one in it. Just looking for a solution without getting into a whole ordeal about it, or going to a dealership since they charge a fortune. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • dkirsdkirs Member Posts: 2
    wow seen how much people paid at the dealer i am sure glad i can do the repairs myself
    an encoder motor 600 i got mine for under 200 in fact i have a new one i will sell for 150 installed and that was not the problem plus you can get salvage yard parts
    heres what i do i remove the front drive shaft for the summer and install it in the winter i get better fuel milage in the summer and the stress on the front axle and transfer case is less not lights come on everything works fine i have seen where no service 4x4 light comes on appears to be working correctly i have found that the front axle or the transfer case has gone bad my solution to find the problem is to lift all 4 wheels off the ground and have someone start and put it in drive to see if the fronts turn i will try to hold the front drve shaft if i cant i hold a wheel
    if the light is on in the dash you should be able to pull a code most local repair shops can do that at a lot less cost then any dealer after all the years of working on everthing out there and knowing what i know about the dealers i would never take my car in there as for the guys that are haveing problems with there air bags suspension a local shop can find it if they are willing to do the dianosis on the system sounds like you live near the west coast good luck love my bravada ps i dont know of any good car truck van or suv that dont break down changeing the transfer case fluid every 6 months nonsense mine has been in there for years
  • dkirsdkirs Member Posts: 2
    love my bravada dont see why not fix figure out how much the fix then go price out a new bravada figure out weather or not its worth fixing
    also check out how much insurance is going to be cover all your bases
    most of the time the repair is minor and dont know if you bought it or not
    that was a while back enjoy and good luck
  • thehendrysthehendrys Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 Old Bravada that won't start on it's own. i have replaced the fuel filter, pump, spark plugs, wires, water temperature sensor, cleaned the throttle body and it still will not start. i put starter fluid in the air intake and it fires right up and runs fine, we hooked up a pressure gage to the fuel line and with car on not running, it reads 40psi. with the car running it reads 55psi. any ideas, thanks to all who try to help. I am also getting a trouble code PO449 does thishave anything to deal with the starting issues?
  • bfaus06bfaus06 Member Posts: 4
  • baldstonesbaldstones Member Posts: 1
    Just purchashed a 94 bravada, only paid $100.00 but oh what problems. would love to take yours off your hands but I am on a low fixed income, but im thinking it may help me out with parts to make a good vehicle to get back and forth to Dr,s. appt.,s Please let me know if you can help out a single sick woman?
  • netski56netski56 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 Olds Bravada that has no acceleration. It also seems to be making a humming noise. Once I get on the expressway up to about 60 it runs ok. Any suggestions on what the problem can be? The fuel filter was just changed so I don't think it's that. Thanks!
  • volturevolture Member Posts: 2
  • thehendrysthehendrys Member Posts: 2
    We went through the acceleration problem and come to find out the other fuel pumps we replaced on the Oldsmobile Bravada were no good. We had to purchase the good one from the dealer. You might want to try and go that way. The car runs smooth now. It has been several months since that was done and we told the owner of the car that she also had a bad water pump and that is getting replaced now. I surely hope we dont have to go to the dealer for this tooo.
  • douglas281douglas281 Member Posts: 4
  • hon45hon45 Member Posts: 1
    Dump the Oldsmobile if you get painful... I have a bad expensive with 2002 Bravada before. 3 years old 4WD drive system sounded noise like high pitch pulse. I went to the service in MANY times due to the AWD. The drive system is going to be bad. The repairing costs a lot of money! I read the customer report to review the Chevrolet Trailblazer which is same as my Bravada. Trailblazer is very horrible and unreliable in the history. So I decided to dump my SUV. Customer report reviews Honda, Toyota, and Subaru are highly recommended and reliable. I got the new 2007 Honda CRV with automatic 4WD. I LOVE IT! 4 years old drive system is almost perfect! No need going to the 4WD service. Japanese SUV saves money!
  • kidzcyclekidzcycle Member Posts: 2
    i had to change the oil pump on my 1999 bravada. after taking it all apart and putting the new pump and the oil pan back on i cannot fit the differential housing back in. im wondering if im going to have to drop the pan again. i tried putting the diff in first but then the pan wouldnt clear even with the diff pushed as far forward as it could go. what is the trick to getting the blasted thing back in?
  • kidzcyclekidzcycle Member Posts: 2
  • kzenkzen Member Posts: 6
    Did you ever get any replies about the ECM on your 2000 Bravada? I've been having the same problem with the car shutting off while driving it, mostly in hot weather, but no one seems to know how to fix it. I've had 3 fuel pumps, a new radiator, a thermostat, and only my mechanic knows what all else. I was chatting with my brother yesterday and he told me to look into replacing the ECM. The car only has 68,000 miles on it, I'd like to hold onto it for a while but want to be sure about the ECM before going forward with replacing it. Any thoughts?
  • gmc16gmc16 Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 Oldsmobile Bravada has only 78,000 miles on it. I have had several things done, but mostly it's ok, best part is I don't have a car payment. My problem is really annoying, the speedometer has started fading and sometimes shows up and sometimes doesn't. I have been told that it may be a fuse but I don't know where to check to see if that's the problem. Can anyone help? If it's not the fuse I have checked with the dealer and they only want $400.00 to repair since it's a dealer part only and is all electrical so....can anyone help me by telling me where to check the fuse? Thanks.
  • georgecavaliergeorgecavalier Member Posts: 54
  • tubby01tubby01 Member Posts: 1
    it might be the egr valve my 1995 jimmy did the same thing and i just unhooked it
  • furley1furley1 Member Posts: 2
    That happen too me. I had a flat tire so i changed it, but the tire i put on was a diffrent size,they all have too be the same size.
  • furley1furley1 Member Posts: 2
    sara; I had a flat tire so i changed it,but the tire i put on was a differnt size tire. so you mite want too check that.
    denny
  • harlem1derharlem1der Member Posts: 2
  • harlem1derharlem1der Member Posts: 2
    I bought my son his first vehicle, a 98 Bravada. We've had it less than a week and so far the major problem we have come across is the lights in for the gauge cluster in the dash are not coming on. First I thought it was a blown bulb so we replaced that. When we were putting the dash back together, I turned the truck on and turned on the headlights and got nothing. So I jiggled some wires thinking that it might've been a short or a loose wire and still nothing. It was getting dark so my son decided to put everything back together and try again in the morning. When he reconnected the connector for the dome/fog light, everything came back on. But when he moved the dashboard to put it back in place, everything went back out again. Again, I jiggled wires and nothing, not even a flicker. Now there's no lights in the dash and when he turns on the headlights, the radio lights go out along with the compass/MPG gauge located overhead. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
  • homeofthebravihomeofthebravi Member Posts: 1
    i was getting about 14.2 city and decided that was low enough, i purchased a k-n intake kit and noticed @ least a 1.8 mpg increase instantly.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • dpowell0320dpowell0320 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 2000 bravada i bought a month ago and its had the abs light on since. it has 113000 miles on it. the brakes seem to work fine but when you turn at low speeds under 20 mph you can feel the brakes engaging and it stops the truck and when you give it gas it squaks the tires. i replaced both wheel bearings and the driver side axle because somebody striped the threads for the axle nut. after i replaced the wheel bearings with the sensor and all the abs light was still on and continued to stop the truck. i took it to autozone and he said the left wheel bearing wasnt showing up. but i just replaced it with new sensor connected.
    any information or ideas what to do next???
    any help would be much appreciated.. thank you