Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• noreen5noreen5 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 XC90 AWD T6 's transmission just went down the tubes. When the mechanic looked at it, the inside was smoking and there was a chunk of metal. I just went through my maintenance and repair receipts (many!!) and found what I remembered. I had gone in, when my car was still under warranty and told them of a crunching sound that sounded like it might be under the driver's seat. They found NOTHING. Anyway, Im so upset. I like all of you bought this car new hoping for Volvo for Life and the best safety. I've gotten none of that. I just called my Volvo dealer, but I have to call during the week to talk to the manager. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. I want to get rid of the car.

One difference with mine. No warning light to tell me something bad was happening!!
  • okiesnowriderokiesnowrider Member Posts: 2
    It is a metal drumming or clanking noise..when i bought the truck in mar 08 i made the dealer fix it. he replaced the left front drive axle claiming that would do it. the noise only comes when its cold and of course when i went to pick it up it was warm outside...so magically no noise. once it got cold again in december (3000 out of warranty) the noise returns. my local reair shop thinks that it is in the driveshaft not the tranny.
  • camarkimcamarkim Member Posts: 3
    After reading many threads detailing what a ticking timebomb our 2004 XC90 T6 AWD was, we were fortunate to be able to trade it in for a 2007 XC90 3.2.

I thought I could start relaxing and finally get potentially expensive exploding trannies out of my head, but Mom called yesterday and her Acura is in the shop. Imagine my surprise to find out that while Volvo has the T6 nightmare trannies, Acura/Honda have a whole SLEW of bad trannies that span many models over several years. These owners finally went the route of class-action lawsuit. Here is the link, with the hope that a) you will see that not only Volvo uses bad trannies, but b) sometimes owners are made whole by the class-action suit process. Also, maybe the same firm could be retained or at least consulted with, who knows? (Disclaimer: as mentioned, I don't have a T6 anymore, nor do I have any connection to this firm...) Click on link below to go to the settlement website, or cut and paste:
    http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php

link title
  • XC90broknheartXC90broknheart Member Posts: 4
    I just want to cry after reading all of these postings!! I just bought my used 2003 XC90 T6 with 62,500 miles on December 7, 2008. Well as I was driving to work yesterday(2/2/09) without a warning, the transmission went out. THANK GOD I was not on the freeway yet, just a few seconds before getting on. I am so sad and disgusted with not only my dealership which is ELK GROVE PONTIAC BUICK GMC but with the stupid extended warranty company and Volvo for selling such pieces of junk! I am hoping the the warranty will cover the new transmission but at this point since no one seems to want to help, I am not expecting much. I live in Stockton, CA and would like to know if there are other people close to me that have had this problem happen to them so we can try to get a CLASS ACTION SUIT going. PLEASE PLEASE BELIEVE ME THAT I AM NOT "SUE" HAPPY BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS! if Volvo refuses to see all of this evidence plus the hundreds more that I have found online about FAULTY VOLVO TRANSMISSIONS, then something HAS TO BE DONE! whether it be me starting a petition to file a class action suit or something to let Volvo know that they MUST take responsibility for what they sell. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY STARTED A CLASS ACTION SUIT IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA OR CALIFORNIA PERIOD, CONTACT ME I WANT TO BE INCLUDED. My XC90 is being held hostage by the Volvo dealership in town because they say they are waiting for the "ok" from the extended warranty company in order for them to even touch the car. Then as if being left with one car wasn't bad enough, we can't even get a loaner from them because again, the warranty company has to give the "ok".. mean while I am begging for rides to work and my kids are suffering going to school sometimes late or being picked up late because my husband and I are trying to plan schedules around having just one car.. goodness this is just not right! VOLVO SHAME ON YOU!!!

before I forget, what is the deal with the Attorney General? I've seen in some blogs that it's good to contact their office.. may I ask for what? shoot I am looking for a good attorney as it is but I am willing to do whatever it takes to get my $20,000 worth of a car(hopefully something other than a VOLVO)!

Heartbroken and furious! :mad: :cry: :sick: :lemon:
  • VolvoexpVolvoexp Member Posts: 1
    Hi , if you like Volvo and you care about you life you must buy 2.5L cars with Aisin transmission it is too better than GM transmissions . this is my advise becous this is my daily work .
  • Mightymo6Mightymo6 Member Posts: 1
    I too lost my transmission at 72,000 miles. On road assistance was a disaster- Now I have a ratchet sound when I step on the gas. Volvo service wants to take apart the front end for $380 to diagnose the problem. The sound goes away when the car warms up. Really disappointed with the whole volvo experience
  • quiche4quiche4 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year and model and had the same experience as you. My first thought were the tire were too worn but then also noticed that the front wheel spin and not the back. This seemed not right for AWD car? I took it to my dealer and lodged my complaint to the service dept.
    They found oil temperature sensor on the rear differential faulty. The senor gave the indication that the oil temperature in the differential was too hot which shuts down the hydraulic coupling to the rear wheels.
    What disturbed me was that there is no warning lights or messages that indicates the AWD is off and that I may have been driving my family for several months in severe weather and snow with no AWD.
    The service manager did admit that they had a few XC90 and XC70 with this problem but it has been solved in the later Volvo AWD models including adding a warning message.
  • jliiijliii Member Posts: 3
    Anyone had problems with 2005 AWD 5-cyl transmissions?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,946
    no common or widespread issues. It is an Aisin trans, which have very good reputations.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• noreen5noreen5 Member Posts: 2
    I finally had my Volvo XC90 2004 T6 towed to the Volvo dealership -- Ramsey Volvo in Ramsey, NJ. They somewhat acknowledge the problem, made me sign a paper to pay 120 for a diagnosis which I already had -- then offered the parts for free, but I would have to pay for the labor $2500. I asked if they buy Volvos. He said yes, he'd talk to his used car manager. I asked if after I replaced the tranny etc. if they would buy it back. Answer -- NO, we don't buy these cars. What do I do?? I want to call a lawyer or contact the Attorney General. I have laid out thousands of dollars since the warranty was up on hoses, etc. I'm fed up to here. A $43,000 investment worth nothing. Help. I dont know what to do.
    well, if you were willing to sell it to a dealer, then you should get it fixed and trade it in at any dealer of your choice on a replacement vehicle.

By the way, a vehicle is not an investment unless its classic/collectible. We buy them to use them up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• KtrachoKtracho Member Posts: 1
    hello i hope you are still giving out that info about the transmission because that just happend to me last thursday night in the bay bridge in san francisco, the trans light came on and that was it no more trans and its about to cost me over $6000
  • mdgalmdgal Member Posts: 2
    In December '08 we became the owner of a 2003 XC90 T6 AWD with 94K miles. I absolutely love(d) this car...until the TRANSMISSION SERVICE URGENT light came on and I started reading this forum :cry: . The car is still running fine, but I imagine it's just a matter of time before the tranny goes. What's the latest with your situation?
  • marciarmarciar Member Posts: 3
    My car was running fine . I didn't get a warning light. It just ran rough.I was told my transmission was bad. I didn't want to spend the $4000 on it and they knew it. I told them(the one and only volvo dealership in WV)I will not buy another volvo after this.
    They warned me that It could be dangerous if my trans went out...so I bit the bullet and had it replaced. I guess I have to trust them.
    I haven't noticed much of a change. Hopefully it's just your warning light that has gone bad. But ...if you are under warranty--have it repaired! good luck.
  • MilosantaMilosanta Member Posts: 8
    I have had the tranny replaced twice now. I fortunately have had a warranty to take on the costs, but I am not few confident that it will not happen again. I am currently trying to figure out how to get rid of it, but with the economy in the dumps the price for SUVs is low. I will attempt to trade it into a Volvo dealership if I can get a good deal on a different model. Good luck with yours. If you do not have a warranty the best thing I have seen so far is to take it to an AAMCO or other similar shop, b/c Volvo will more then likely tell you that you need a new tranny.
  • margaritacmargaritac Member Posts: 6
    I just listed my 2004 and was surprised how many people emailed me. Granted, I :) really unvalued the car but some one wants it Asap!! List it in craiglist you might be surprised I cant wait to get rid of mine!!!
  • laws65laws65 Member Posts: 69
    Hi,
    I purchased a used XC90 back in March of 2008. In December of 2008, I went for the tranny flush/change at $300 and then a week or two later when pulling slowly to a stop sign, the URGENT TRANSMISSION light went on. I could barely move the car and it seemed like, first and second gear were gone! I have only put on about 11k-13k miles on it since I purchased it. I had it towed to the shop where I bought it and all they could do was apologize. They are telling me the tranny is probably shot, but to take it to a Volvo dealer to do a transmission computer upgrade and see if that helps! I didn't purchase an extended warranty thinking I bought a 2005 XC90, with only 59k miles on it, that I wouldn't need it. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong! Come to find out my 2005 has a 2004 tranny in it. I've contacted Volvo online and they won't do a thing! This is crazy! Do you give the thing back to the bank, or should I try and sell it again? I couldn't sell it the first time, I am very concerned I won't be able to sell it again!!!!
    Feel free to contact me should a class action be considered. In the Kelly Blue Book blogs, it's all about these tranny's only lasting 8-10k miles even after they are replaced, so don't go thinking these things will last once they are replaced-SO NOT TRUE!!!!

Lisa in Connecticut
    laws65@sbcglobal.net
  • VolvoAdvocateVolvoAdvocate Member Posts: 4
    Is this a T6?
  • pmwripmwri Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to give it a little time before I updated my December post on my URGENT TRANSMISSION light.

The dealership honored their deal about paying the cost to replace the transmission, the catch was that they didn't cover the cost of the new radiator! There was metal filing in my radiator/hoses so I really didn't have a choice!. So I got a new/rebuilt transmission, hoses and radiator for $1,800! Kind of on the steep side for the radiator, but great for everything that I got!

I now have over 3k miles and everything is going well. I will keep my fingers crossed!

My plan is to buy a new car once I can afford it! Anyone want a 2004 with 65k miles?
  • peppergurlpeppergurl Member Posts: 14
    I have been trying to access a message I believe you posted on Feb. 18, 2009. Message #170, How to Collect in full from Volvo for T6 New Transmission. I am unable to view the whole message for some reason. I have never had this happen before at this sight. I own a 2004 XC90 T6, and am currently on my third transmission. Any help would be appreciated.
  • jeffh6jeffh6 Member Posts: 1
    Well, we bought the 2003 Volvo T6 two years ago with ~50M miles. Great condition, all secured maintenance. I continued with the scheduled maintenance. We also had the extended warranty through 2008. During the past two years we have had the following work:
    - steering rack
    - rear wheel bearings (quite load after new tires)
    - transmission
    - occasional fluid loss, which turned out to be bad main gasket on engine
    - front suspension parts
    - passenger side rear shock (not covered by warranty but threatened dealer with small claims work, because of shotty installation)
    - new tires (not on warranty)
    - new brakes (not on warranty)

Now warranty is done and other rear shock is leaking and gone bad. Also fan is starting to squeak during cold weather. When I asked dealer, it's another $1000 replacement.

Everyone I tell, I like the styling like the design, but it is a P.O.S.!
    Yes, it is a T6

Laws65
  • carguy85carguy85 Member Posts: 9
    I have been using Royal Purple automatic transmission fluid. I change the fluid once a year. On this transmission, there is actually a pan that can be dropped and a filter or magnet to be cleaned or replaced. Do not do a flush without first dropping the pan and cleaning or changing the filter. If you do a flush, all you are doing is running ATF though the pan and over the magnet; stirring up all these shavings. These units will last if maintaned properly. If only people knew.....
  • abvbyndabvbynd Member Posts: 10
    HI...we have a 2005 XC90 with the V8. The V8 has a completley different transmission and we ahve nearly 50K and have never had a problem. We run synthetic trans fluid. I do know however that there were many problems with the T6 trans (my sister has had several problems), it wasd the GM trasn. The V8 trans (6 speed), is working great...I know that isn't much consolation...just thought I would let you know.
    HI,

Thanks for letting me know the V8 is better! I just found out Volvo is just starting to replace these transmissions free of charge!!!! I can't tell you how psych'd I am. Just so you all know what I did to get the transmission replaced at 70k miles, I hope it helps all of you as well. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General for the State of Ct, Consumer Protection for the State of CT, contacted a Consumer Law Attorney, and also filed a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board. They all have complaint forms on line for each state, so be safe and smart and start filling them out! The loudest and biggest voice/group gets addressed!
    Good luck everyone!!
    Lisa
  • paulo7paulo7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    Yes, there is a design flaw in the GM transmission on the XC90 vehicle, and after 72k miles, we finally experienced the "Transmission Service Urgent" message. The transmission literally wears out due to machined tolerance issues. We took the car to the dealer who said the error codes were from the yaw sensor (part of the anti-roll system) and recommended the transmission flush. Weeks later, the message returned and we noticed the slippage from 1st to 2nd gear and 4th gear. Our transmission slips when cold under acceleration, and does not when hot. Fluid smells burnt. Vehicle will fail you in the middle of traffic.

We are dismayed that the dealer do not tell us of the transmission fault since it has been known for years, and recommended a service that would in no way correct the problem. They are either naive or dishonest, and they have lost our business for life.

We view this vehicle as unreliable and unsafe. Do not buy. We bought this Volvo new on a reputation of safety and reliability. Both the dealer and the manufacturer have damaged their reputation beyond repair.

Please. Do not purchase a XC90. Your safety is more important.
    :sick:
    Everyone should change their transmission fluid on these vehicles; I do mine once a year! There is a filter that can be replaced as well. Not a great match (this tranny and this vehicle), but it will last longer if maintained. By not changing the fluid you are actually "burning" the transmission fluid. which is why many owners have that burnt transmission fluid small. I recommend Royal Purple ATF! :)
    Change your fluid with Royal Purple ATF and also have the filter changed - - do not do a flush without changing the filter first!!
    Lisa - - have your shop drain the transmission fluid and drop the transmission pan. In the pan there is a small magnet to collect shavings. Have them change the magnet and replace the drained fluid with Royal Purple ATF. Any Volvo dealer should ahve the parts; if not a GM store will. I also recommend using Royal Purple full synthetic motor oil as well. This will help; good luck.
  • VolvoAdvocateVolvoAdvocate Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: I recently had my '03 XC90 T6 transmission and axle replaced by Volvo at approx. 74k miles. I'm trying to decide if I need to get rid of the car now, or if I will have another 74k miles on the new transmission. Anyone have any experience or data on the likelihood of this happening again soon? Thanks.
  • xc90volvomumxc90volvomum Member Posts: 9
    Hi I'm in Australia and bought an xc90 new in Oct 94 and the transmission is now going at 80,000klms. I cant find much info on this transmission issue on Australian websites so was interested to see I wasnt alone. My dealer advised to drive the car in to the ground as the new trans was $7,500 and call customer. He and customer service have denied this is a regular problem but C/s quoted $6,000 to repair and offered to pay half immediately!. I'm going back now to push for more after reading this info.Volvo are ignoring this totally and obviously havent done anything to fix this long standing problem. This car cost me $90,000 AUD and I expected to keep this car for many years as I just love it but now I dont know. I'm going to suggest they also flush & change the filter and replace with Royal Purple ATF but no sure we have that here but its worth a try. Thanks
  • elliott5elliott5 Member Posts: 3
    I also have an xc90 t6, I am currently having the 3rd transmission put in by volvo. The ratchet sound you hear, if it seems to go away when the car warms up, it's the driveshaft. I only know this, because I just had to do that too. The part alone is 1200 bucks. I love this car as much as I hate it. Of course, Volvo does not want it back, not even as a trade. Gee, I wonder why!
  • elliott5elliott5 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am in New Hampshire (USA) and a female owner of an xc90 t6. I am on my third transmission in this car and also had to replace the drive shaft. I was told these transmissions were a "closed unit" and could not be serviced, just replaced. Volvo has covered the expense on the transmissions because the last replacement was just 24 thousand miles ago. Apparantly I owe more than they will give me at trade, I may take the loss and just get something else.
  • db2814db2814 Member Posts: 13
    Hello: I am an XC90 owner in Ottawa, ON Canada and had to have my driveshaft replaced while on holidays in North Conway, NH this past January 2009. I have had my transmission flushed, filter changed and new fluid(only volvo tranny fluid) put in. Mister transmission did the work and said that there were no metal filings in the fluid and that all looked good. They also indicated that doing the transmission fluid change was crucial to the life of the transmission. Taxis that have this work done annually get an extra 200,000 kilometres (120,000 miles) extra life out of the trannys that have the fluid changed every 50,000 km or 30,000 miles.

The fluid change costs around 350.00 Canadian but is sure cheaper than a $7,000 dollar transmission.

The transmission specialists also indicated that keeping your tire pressures at the proper pressure takes pressure off of the tranny as well. I use nitrogen in my tires because it is not affected by temperature change and as a result, tire pressure stays perfect.

I hope this information is helpful. I have also been told that the radiator can cause tranny problems so have this checked out as well. Make sure the rad is in good condition and no rusty lines etc.

All the best.
  • xc90volvomumxc90volvomum Member Posts: 9
    Volvo australia have now agreed to pay for my new trannie and I pay for the labour approx. $1200. not ideal but better then $4800 more out of my pocket. They have also offered a 12 month warranty but if its new technology as they advise why only 12 mths I ask? They still refuse to say its a worldwide problem with the transmission but then I cant find another mum at school with a trannie problem and there are about 12 of us....Just my luck. Volvo still insist you dont need to service the transmission but its sounds like its good insurance to do this. Volvo offered to trade mine but I couldnt think of taking the risk with a new one. I'm gonna drive this new trannie into the ground for the next 11 months and then get rid of it. Think I'll buy a merc next time.
  • m0mzillam0mzilla Member Posts: 10
    I bought a Nissan Murano '05 a couple of years ago and had to replace the transmission at 68k miles. Very similar to these stories. Now I'm looking to get rid of it and was considering this Volvo for reliability and because I love the design. But thanks to your info on this forum - I won't even waste my time. Thanks for saving me the heartache of a repeat situation!
    Just don't buy a T6. Any other XC90 is fine.

• lilsamlilsam Member Posts: 5
    I just got the bad news from my mechanic. My 2005 T6 just killed its second trans. the first went out at 68K. After much yelling with the dealer and volvo, only payed for installation labor on the this second trans and a new radiator/cooler. They gave me gave me 12 months and 12K miles warranty on this trans. So, here I am 14 months and 10k miles with noises and will not go up the gutter from the street to my driveway. I am new to this forum and trying to gather all input. Anyone knows if their is some aftermarket retrofit or upgrade for this underrated trans. or any creative weekend mechanics with suggestions? I considered the new V8 XC90 three months but the dealer offered me a very low trade in value. I walked out immediately.
    HI Carguy85,

A couple of suggestions, contact the Attorney General for your state, Consumer Protection, and also the National Transporation Safety Board-all can file complaints on line. I would also do the complaint on line with Volvo-just so you have it all in writing, which is VERY important for you.

Then I would wait a week or two and see what happens. For some reason, thankfully, Volvo just paid for a brand new transmission in mine, and supposedly, and I say supposedly as we are not there when the new tranny goes in, this is the latest and upgraded transmission. We'll see and time will tell. I only just got mine back a week ago-took my daughter back to college with it, and just trying to notice anything that seems amiss. See if that helps. I would also state that you heard Volvo is starting to replaced those horrible transmissions with a brand new upgraded one for free. Refer to me if you need to, and tell them the dealer was Gengras in East Hartford, CT.

I really hope this helps you!!!!
    Good luck and keep me posted if you need anything else. File complaints with anyone and everything, keep going, the squeeky wheel gets the grease!!!!

Laws65@sbcglobal.net
    How often did ypu have the transmission fluid changed?
    Laws65 - - - I haven't heard about dealers replacing the 4 speed GM tranny with anything else. What are they using; the 6 speed AW in all 3.2 and 4.4 XC90s? Thanks!
  • lilsamlilsam Member Posts: 5
    right this moment I am looking through the service records. This car was under the dealers service schedules. . I made sure the car was taken in for all the scheduled services as well as within a couple of days of the the idiot display that says "time for service". Shame on me to think they would tell me of a change in the schedule due to the replaced trans. You would think they would have programed it into the computer that displays " time for service".
  • rmuralirmurali Member Posts: 10
    Thank you all for this forum. I am considering purchasing new XC90. Is there a problem with transmission in newer models or has Volvo corrected this issue? Is it too early to tell?
    Do not buy any year T6.

Any other model is fine. But, if you are talking "newer" you most likely aren't talking about a T6, as '05 was the last year of the T6.

• mvg04mvg04 Member Posts: 1
    At 54,000 for me on my 04 XC90 T6 transmission It has to be replaced completely. They have to replace the radiator or the new one will go out very soon. Something about metal shavings in the transmission from the radiator. It started slipping and then on day, no gears at all. This car has a General Motors transmission and my shop guy says that they are a very faulty. I think Volvo should recall all these transmissions. I reported this to the NHTSA and Attorney General, you should too. Does any one know how to start a class action against them? We should!
    Barb16,

Good for you. Complain to anyone and everyone that you can think of. The more noise the better for all of us that still own these vehicles!
    I don't know how to start a Class Action, but would be interested in listening to anyone who does!

Laws65
    Yes, it is a T6
    Thank you gbrozen for your response. From MSN website, "...The 3.2 is now powered by a new 24-valve inline 6-cylinder normally aspirated engine with 235 horsepower and mated to a new standard 6-speed automatic transmission with Geartronic...."

Just to make sure I understand, this is not the same as the T6 problem? Do you think this 3.2 is enough to power the XC90 under "normal" city/highway conditions or is V8 necessary?
    The 3.2 is plenty.
    And, no, it does not have the T6 problem (which was the 4-speed GM transmission it was attached to).

Thank you again. I really appreciate your advice and quick response. Regards.