Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• csilaccicsilacci Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    My transmission just failed for the 2nd time. I just finished driving the car to the dealership and leaving it there after hours. I'll know more tomorrow. The first trans went out at 43K miles and was under warranty. My car now has 94K. It is not driven hard and this is the 2nd time. It is ridiculous. Let's hope my dealership stands behind their work.
  • rdeansrdeans Member Posts: 3
    i just wanted to post and let you all know my experience. my transmission failed around 48k the first time (in the middle of a busy intersection, with my newborn and 2-yr old in the car to boot). this past weekend it failed again at 99k and i spent HOURS reading this thread, fearing the worst. my car is out of warranty and i have not gone to the volvo dealership since 2007 when my warranty expired so my history with them is older (i use a shop closer to my house now). they looked up my old transmission problem and saw that i have already been through this. once my car was towed there they checked it out and saw right away that it was obviously totally shot. i mentioned when i called to inform them it was on its way that i knew there were several class action suits and that this was an ongoing issue but that was really all i ever said. the man i dealt with said he couldn't know what the next step would be until he got in touch with volvo. they called me back the next day letting me know that they had submitted a prior authorization to volvo to get them to pay for the transmission and that i should hear the next day one way or another. they called me today and they will be paying for the new transmission at 100% coverage, and i honestly didn't have to do anything to get them to do this (not even be a regular at this location). there was another minor issue with a leaking valve that they said they could repair while they were in there which i'll be paying for but the transmission, the issue that is clearly plaguing most of us on this thread, was covered. i dealt with farrell volvo in southborough, ma, for anyone local. i have to say, i was beyond nervous waiting for the call, especially after reading these horror stories, but maybe they're playing a bit nicer these days. i'm thrilled with the way it was handled (and less than thrilled that this is even an issue for those of us who spent major bucks on these cars) so i hope it goes the same for you all. best of luck to everyone else, i know what a nightmare this can be! :)
  • mwandersonmwanderson Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 XC90 T6 new from Lyle Pearson Volvo in Boise, Idaho. At just over 60,000 miles the Transmission Service Urgent message came up. I contacted Matt, a service writer at Lyle Pearson to arrange diagnostics and delivered the car on May 16, 2011. I was advised on May 17th by Matt that Volvo and Lyle Pearson would cover 100% of cost of replacement. Matt called early the next week to advise that the work was nearing completion, and called again on May 25th to let me know it was ready.

The no charge invoice stated "The factory warranty on these components has expired. Assistance has been provided as a one-time Goodwill gesture by Volvo Cars North America and Lyle Pearson Company in the interest of customer satisfaction and owner loyalty." Not only did they replace the transmission, radiator, oil cooler and associated lines, they also cleaned the car completely and detailed the engine compartment.

This is the way I run my business, and I am very pleased to report that both Volvo Cars North America and Lyle Pearson have dealt with this unfortunate and very expensive issue with honor and grace.
  • smokin6smokin6 Member Posts: 9
    Glad to hear that they are fixing the problem. This is exactly what I said would happen. Your car failed at the point most other cars failed--just at or over 60,000 miles. Since the pressure has been put on volvo to fix it they have gone to an unwritten policy of cars under 100,000 miles( funny how that matches the competition) and the new fix is to replace the cooler lines radiator, and put an trany in made in china. I would make sure this was done to your car. Remember that I have been through their learning curve and have had three tranys in may car all failed at the 60,000 mile mark. When the class action suit becomes a reality I will then get may peace of mind that Volvo was forced to do the right thing. It is a shame that they will not do on their own.
  • twixieslctwixieslc Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2004 XC90 T6 with 90,256 miles (obviously before seeing all of these messages re failed transmissions). I drove it away from the used car dealership on Tuesday evening (5/24/2011) and drove it approximately 100 miles. On Friday, 5/27/2011, I was left stranded on the side of the road, because the transmission locked up and all of the transmission fluid was all over the road. :cry: I do have a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty, but that will only cover $1,000. The dealership where I purchased has pretty much told me... "good luck with that". I would very much appreciate any suggestions for what my next steps should be when I start making calls after the holiday weekend. Call the local Volvo dealer... demand more from the used car dealership where I purchased... use the $1,000 I do have in warranty, suck it up and then pay the rest (which I really hope is a last resort)... etc??
  • doidaredoidare Member Posts: 3
    Hi All, first I want to thank everyone for sharing all of their expeirences regarding the XC90 Transmission. Now I need your advice. I am looking to purchase a 2003 XC90 T6 with 91547 miles on it. After reading all these posts, I'm getting a little apprehensive about the purchase. What should be a red light to me is that the used car dealership that I was planning to purchase the vehicle from said the vehicle was at the Volvo Dealership getting serviced but would not tell me what kind of service. That was on Monday, it's now Wednesday and he was supposed to call me back when the vehicle was back at his dealership. Do I dare purchase this vehicle, they are asking $11,700 or do I save myself the aggravation?
  • sugreesugree Member Posts: 6
    Save yourself the aggravation. Plus you are paying way too much! I have a 2004 xc90 T6 and I was told that my year and model is selling for under $8000 at car auctions. Good Luck!!
  • doidaredoidare Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, that is all I needed to hear. I think I'm going to take your advice. I'm probably going to go with a 2003 Tahoe instead.
    First off, that car is overpriced. When I looked up my 2004 with just a bit more miles I got back 9-10K at a dealer or 8-9k as a trade in. second, if you can get the price down and you can verify that it has a newer transmission (i think after 2008 but please don't quote me on that), i don't think you need to stay away from it. my original transmission failed in 2006 and the one they put in then failed last week (about 50k miles later). if you are looking at buying a 2003 with an original transmission or a replacement from the earlier years, my opinion is that you're buying a ticking time bomb. take it from someone who has been stranded in the middle of the road with a car full of kids TWICE.

other than that though, i have to say, i really loved this car. it served my family really, really well and is, overall, a nice vehicle. best of luck!
  • deedevadeedeva Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    My Transmission Service Urgent light came on at 73,000 miles in my 2004 XC90 T6 on Memorial Day weekend. We waited until Tuesday, and drove the car to Don Beyer Dulles in Virginia. They let us know 2 days later that the transmission had failed and needed to be replaced but we waited another 2 days before they confirmed that Volvo would cover the repairs. We picked my car up on Saturday, 5 days later. They replaced all necessary parts at no cost to us. My car had been washed and vacuumed as well. We did not have a loaner car, but we did not request one because we were nervous about what they would actually cover. We are pleased with the service Don Beyer provided in this case. However, we had a previous bad experience with this dealership providing service on a recall and had already decided we would not purchase another Volvo. This car was our second Volvo purchased through Don Beyer and the customer service has declined drastically since our first purchase. I am disappointed to see how little this car has retained its value.
  • rjmomrjmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 with 67,500 miles on it and experienced 3rd gear slipping, a knocking noise and the transmission urgent message last weekend while out of town. I immediately dropped the car off as soon as they could take it. Of course, the extended warrantee expired a year ago and I was given the news that the transmission was shot. I was asked to consent to a $240 diagnostic test to determine if metal shards were being sent through the system; radiator, etc. The service rep explained that he needed as much information of what else could be damaged to present a repair case to Volvo. He also said that if the test was not done, the new transmission could be jeopardized. The repair cost was amounting to $8,000. He told me not to worry, since I bought the pre-owned car from them and have had all required maintenance done on time, exclusively with their dealership. However, I was in complete shock and authorized the test. Volvo agreed to pay 100% of the transmission, radiator, parts, etc. I am grateful for the repair coverage (would not have been able to afford it otherwise), but disheartened with the product :cry:

I now feel like requesting the diagnostic test to be covered, because this is entirely a Volvo manufacturing issue and I would guess Volvo would have had it performed regardless to protect their investment? Advice?
  • csilaccicsilacci Member Posts: 2
    I posted once before about my Volvo's transmission failing for the 2nd time. This time at 94K miles. It took over a week, but the Volvo warranty rep agreed to cover the cost of the $6K transmission. This is great as I wasn't prepared for that kind of expense. This is the second transmission in a vehicle that has had all it's required servicing and only has 94K miles. Though I have enjoyed the Volvo, I am not willing to continue to drive it knowing the transmission will fail again and that Volvo has not come up with a permanent fix. I've been fortunate that it did not fail in a dangerous situation or with my kids in the car.

I am happy that they stood behind it but had my car had more than 100K miles, they might not have even though it is their faulty transmission.

I will be getting rid of the car within the next 12 months.
  • srogalasrogala Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    I've got a 2004 Volvo XC90 with 85,000 miles on it. The transmission went last week (it won't go forward, just in reverse) and the dealer in Dedham, MA is saying that it's going to cost $5200 to replace. If I'm reading this right, Volvo corporate is honoring no-cost replacements of these faulty transmissions? Transmissions going at 85,000 miles is a little ridiculous.

Edit: Just to be clear, our's is not the T6 model. Are they only dealing with issues on the T6?
    You should be ok. The dealer is your biggest friend in dealing with the regional factory rep. You must stay on it and get them to do what they have done for many other people. Do not give up or give in--YOU MUST INSIST THEY FIX IT AT THE MFG. COST NOT YOURS. They will try to spin it--do not let this happen--the new unwritten policy is under 100,000 miles they fix for free--2003-2005 models xc90. good luck.
    Thanks, this is great news. I went to the dealership this morning. It turns out it actually is a T6. I brought up all of the issues with the transmission on this board and they said that they needed to do a little more work today and then they'd be sending the info to Volvo for a decision. The guy at the dealership said that Volvo "most likely" would pick up the tab for it. I'll keep on them though. I'm not sure they would have told me about this if I hadn't brought up what I found here in these forums, so thanks everybody!

-Scott
    Scott-
    Just in case something happens where they don't cover it (and I think they will), I brought mine in to Farrell Volvo in Southborough, MA which isn't too far from your dealership, all things considered. I worked with Alex in the service department there and although it took a few days to get an answer, my car was repaired for free. New transmission, new radiator, new hoses and lines...they did it all (my 3rd transmission too). Good luck in Dedham but if it doesn't work out, I would try your luck in Southborough.
  • jimddijimddi Member Posts: 11
    You need to fight it. Stay tuned into this blog and see what Volvo is doing for others. You need to get tough!
  • breakthrubreakthru Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, i know this post is a bit old, but i have just had the same problem. We had our transmission fixed, then shortly after we had an oil leak. Then the coolant light began to turn on.

We brought it back and they are charging us $4K to fix it! Can you tell us your experience with the end result?
    Just got a call from the dealer - Volvo's picking up the entire bill for the transmission! Thanks to everybody on this thread, if I hadn't found this I'm not sure the dealer would have brought the issue to my attention. This is a huge relief, as I'm sure you can imagine!

Thanks,
    Scott
  • stevew1614stevew1614 Member Posts: 1
    6-19-2011
    Taking a drive in my 2004 XC90 on fathers day and the transmission light comes on.
    Car has 124,000 miles. Is there a chance that I can get Volvo to cover cost?
    Any suggestions on how to proceed with the dealer. I have not called them yet.
  • baffledtxnbaffledtxn Member Posts: 7
    My 2005 XC90 T6 Volvo had 128k miles when the 2nd transmission went out and Volvo reluctantly picked up the cost of the parts and charged me the warranty labor costs after I contacted Volvo Corporate service center at 1-800-458-1552. I can't remember who I spoke to but I remember someone on the forum suggested to ask for Betty as she is understanding. Do not initially tell them that your car is over 100k miles, just convey to her that Volvo needs to pick up the cost and you don't have the money to cover the new transmission. Also, you are aware of the problems with the transmission in these cars.
    My initial costs after the call was $1700; however, I suggested to my service rep to apply a 10% discount (coupon) so my cost was ~$1500. I still was not a happy camper as I believe Volvo should have picked up the cost at 100% as they told me that their repair method had changed since they replaced my last transmission. However, it was better than 7K they quoted me before I made the call. My repair was done at the Volvo of Dallas. Good luck!!!!
    Sorry to hear of your problem. I think you are out of luck if this is your first tranny. However, I have heard that if you call VOLOVO USA corporate customer service and ask for BETTY and play the game as if you cannot afford this repair. Let her know that you know this is a problem with many Volovos. See if you can get anywhere. Good luck--I wish I could be of more help. Do not let Betty know your car has more than 100,000 miles on it. I am not a fun of leaving material facts out--but Volvo has not been the best stuard of telling the whole truth about this repair and dealing with the solution fairly with all who have had to deal with their lack of standing behind the product they sell as reliable and high quality.
    You have to be tough and hang in there. Eventually VOLVO should replace the transmission for free. If not, stay in touch with us and we will give other information.
  • flowers6flowers6 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are looking to purchase the 2005 Volvo XC90 - V8, the mileage on the SUV is @ 110,000 miles priced at $17,000CDN. Would this be a good purchase? Is it priced too high? This is a big purchase and want to ensure we are making the right decision.

Thxs
    F
  • baffledtxnbaffledtxn Member Posts: 7
    Personally, I would invest in something other than a Volvo XC90 as the maintenance costs are enormous on these cars. I am not familiar with the XC90 V8 maintenance records; however, my 2005 XC90 T6 transmission has been replaced twice, new tires replaced every year, and etc. are just a few repairs that are normal repairs for the vehicle.
  • garrettkinggarrettking Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 04' xc90 t6 about a year ago, and I think my transmission is about to fail. I am slipping while in 3rd gear. Will volvo help pay to repair even if i bought used?
  • overit1overit1 Member Posts: 1
    DON'T DO IT!! Not only is it priced to high... It is already at it's life's peak. Repairs are very expensive, no one offers a warranty after 50k and given the manufacturers reputation.. it is likely to have major problems soon, if not already. I have an 04' with 70k and just like everyone else that tried to warn me, my transmission is starting to slip. Other than that major issue and a bunch of other little annoying problems.. it was a great vehicle for my family and i to travel in. Don't know how as of yet.. but i have got to get rid of it!
  • davekelly1davekelly1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 with 94,000 miles. Tranny just went out. AAA would only tow it to one of their approved shops which saw that the tranny fluid was black. Told me I need a new Transmission. I saw theses posts and decided to call Turner Volvo in Sacramento. The guy there told me Volvo will pay for the new transmission if it's under 100,000 mi and I have service records. I have lived an hour away from a dealer for sev years and told him that I went to a local shop to get the cars oil changes/services. I do not have service records. Has anyone been approved for Volvo to take on the cost without the service records? I can't afford $6,500. He said that in the past people w/o svc records have had it covered but they are now tightening up their policy. Any info would help.
    Volvo replaced our transmission (74,000 miles) last month in Virginia, and they did not request any service records. I'm not sure what difference service records make if they produced and installed a faulty transmission in our vehicles. You should not pay anything out of pocket. If you don't have luck with that dealership, try another or contact Volvo directly.
  • davekelly1davekelly1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for replying. Could you tell me the name of the dealership or the factory rep so that if I am denied 100% coverage I can advise them that I know they are picking and choosing whom they will cover? I am just sick over this whole thing. I completely agree that they should cover everything due to their lack of quality parts.
  • shortystyleshortystyle Member Posts: 1
    We also have a 2004 XC90 T6. At 73K miles, we received the Transmission Service Urgent light come on. We took it into Tom Wood Volvo in Indy. They hooked it up to the diagnostics and said that the code indicated that we would need a new transmission. As you can imagine, we were extremely nervous as a new transmission would be 6-7K. Not something the average person has handy... Our great service rep at Tom Wood mentioned that their Volvo Corporate rep in some cases will reimburse people in this situation but that every case is different. Some people have to pay for service with the parts covered and get no assistance. About 3-4 days after bringing the car in, we received a call from from our rep saying that Volvo Corp would cover 100% of the costs including a new transmission (with new models). We were absolutely delighted. My advice to everyone would be to mention that you are aware of the issues and that you are fully informed and be assertive. Volvo is very aware of the problems with the old transmissions and in my opinion are doing everything short of a recall.
    Sorry I missed your reply. We dealt with Don Beyer Volvo in Northern Virginia. Good luck to you.
  • janmor2janmor2 Member Posts: 3
    I am in Australia and have a xc90 T6 with transmission failure at only 116,000KM (approx 70,000 miles) I purchased new from Silverstone Volvo in Doncaster. The "transmission service urgent" light came on then as I was driving through an intersection the car slowed nearly causing myself and my children to be killed! My car has been off road for over a month while I fight with the dealer. Who has offered to fix for $1,500. They will not reimburse me for the $200 cost to tow the vehicle or the cost of a hire car for over a month.
    You would think Volvo would bend over backwards after their reprehensible behavior of not recalling these defective vehicles. What a disgrace!
    SHAME SHAME SHAME!
  • xc90volvomumxc90volvomum Member Posts: 9
    This happened to me at approx. 80,000klms 2 years ago. The local dealer wouldnt do anything but I contacted Head Office Volvo in Sydney and they looked after the replacement after some discussion and pushing on my part. They tried to pretend it wasnt a regular issue until I started mentioning the well documented chat room discussions. I contacted the NRMA & RACQ and both agreed that a car of this price and reputation should not have this issue at this low mileage but werent prepared to do anything. I also mentioned their comments in my discussions with Volvo HO.
    I eventually agreed to pick up the cost of the service which cost me $1200. total and Volvo paid for the parts but the dealer gave me a loan XC90 for 3 weeks while they did the repair. In the end I was happy and I have just traded the XC90 for a XC60 Diesel which I love. Good Luck Leah
  • 72tiger72tiger Member Posts: 1
    Volvo has agreed to replace my 2004 XC90 T6 transmission at no cost, but the dealer is charging me $600 because he says it needs a new axle. There is nothing wrong with the current axle but I was told the replacment transmission is larger. Has anyone else had this issue? It makes little sense to me that I shoud have to pay.
    I suggest you get a second opinion from another Volvo dealer or the car clubs do a check of cars, I think. I would also discuss this with Volvo who have agreed to replace the transmission. Our local Volvo dealer wouldnt agreed to do the replacement. Volvo H/O asked me to have the work done in Brisbane, 1hr drive away. Sounds like the local dealer is trying to recoup some extra value. Have never read any reports about the axle needing to be replaced.
    Good luck.
    Silverstone Volvo in Doncaster Australia are forcing me to pay $1000 upfront after fighting with me for over a month over the repair cost. So after getting the cost down to $1500, I have to pay 67% upfront before they will commence work. Why these dangerous vehicles were not recalled is beyond me. Why hasn't there been class action in Australia? All Volvo are trying to do is pretend there is no problem.
    Agree Volvo is trying to make out its not an issue and just deal with each complaint one at a time.
    Make sure you get Volvo Head Office involved the local dealers dont wont the issue and cost so are very reluctant to give much away as they still need to pay for their staff to do the work.

Volvo Australia is the one that should be hassled by everyone that has this problem not the local dealer.
    Unfortunately, class action lawsuits are not as easier as in the USA and it would cost huge amounts of $'s and time unless you contact an ambulance chaser lawyer, no cost no win, and then most of the win goes in legal fees. I certainly dont wont to take a law suit on for the next 5 years of my life.
    Silverstone Volvo may be bullying me into paying $1500 plus $200 for tow truck not to mention cost of hire car. Plus depreciation of resale value, also as I only drive 19,000 km per year effectively my replacement transmission
    is only guaranted for 1 year or 19,000Km in my case. Why should we be out of pocket one cent for mistakenly purchasing these defective T6 vehicles and thinking we were buying a safe car to transport our children. The dealer sold me the car so the onus is on him as consumer affairs advised me.
    Why are some dealers covering 100% of costs and providing loan vehicles to restore their reputation, yet others want to fight you all the way.
    Don't give in. Refuse to pay anything. Are you under 100,000 miles? If "yes" Volvo will pay for the replacement.
    The new axle doesn't sound right. We did not need to have a new axle with our new transmission. They should pay 100% of all parts and service related to the new transmission. If what they are telling you is true, and it is larger, they need to pay for that too. You wouldn't need a new axle if the transmission wasn't faulty, right? Get another opinion at a different dealer if you can.
  • t17bonet17bone Member Posts: 1
    Do you have the contact information for the Volvo corporate rep you spoke with? Volvo is telling me that its going to be $6000 to replace my transmission.
    Sorry I dont have the details as I had my transmission changed over 3 years ago. Try the customer service number 1800 786 586. I called them recently and they were helpful and they have all the volvo registration numbers and details on file. My XC90 only had 80,000 klms when it need the change which isnt much for this quality car.
    Just dont back down, threaten to get Dept of Fair Trading involved as well as the documented chat rooms that identify this as a problem world wide. They have also set a precedent by paying for paid for a number of transmissions already. So why pay for some and not others? They paid for my transmission and I paid for the service which was $1200.
    Give them heaps they need to accept responsibility for this know problem. We buy a volvo because its reliable, safe and a quality product how can they not accept this issue is a genuine fault.
    Good Luck.
  • sdigregosdigrego Member Posts: 1
    Our tranmission finally failed at 79000 miles. We'd had a couple of incidents in the last year, but each were fixed quickly and we were sent on our way. I was actually somewhat relieved when the "Transmission Service Urgent" warning came on last Saturday (even though we were on the highway when it did. I knew we were driving a ticking timebomb and I wanted that new transmission!) We limped our car to the dealership and left it there over the weekend. When service opened on Monday we called to make sure our car was checked in. By mid-morning we received a callback. The service manager confirmed that the transmission was shot and he told us that he'd already submitted paperwork to Volvo Cars NA for payment. We were prepared to fight for free repairs and didn't even have to ask. Our car was fixed up with a new transmission and radiator, et al and we got it back two days later. I will feel more comfortable driving it, but we'll be looking to get something new in the next year or so. We are very happy with the treatment we got from our dealer (Bob Byers in Seattle), but are sad that we have to consider getting rid of this car that we thought we'd have for years to come.
  • lemon2004lemon2004 Member Posts: 21
    I had my XC90 T6 transmission completely stop working without any warning lights etc... @ 125KKms. Luckily we were only going 40km and could pull over as we lost complete power of this car. Bought this lemon at 97,000KM for $28,000 and have only put on roughly 27,000KM. Volvo CANADA said they are pleased to inform me they will pay for a new (refurbished in reality) transmission and all parts but that I must pay the dealership for labour of $1,885 plus $260 for diognostic test plus my towing. I have not used this dealership for servicing because this car has not needed anything major until now (we rarely drive very far in it)and we had it serviced where the original owner(another Volvo dealership and have given them all service records as they asked for them...jump through another hoop) did but it is now too far away from where we live to tow it to. Volvo Canada said they only provide the parts and it is up to the indivdual dealerships to price the cost to you for labour. Since we have zero relationship with them the will not give us a break on the labour cost and we have to pay FULL retail price. Why should I pay a dime for this well known defective transmission. I'm surprised no one has been killed on a hwy given these things can lose all power at any time. I bought this car because of the safety factor for my family...now I'm scared to drive it with the same tansmission put in again. Anyone from Canada get the labour paid from too? I think I've seen it posted a couple of times? The attitude I'm getting all around from VOLVO is disgraceful. They treat me like I'm under investgation and LUCKY to even have them do this for me...now without a car for over a week until this is decided on as I can't fathom the idea of paying for the labour...just not good enough. Getting now where with either head office or the dealership...they just don't want to pay up. This should be a RECALL nationwide. Any advice! Stranded with kids in Vancouver!
  • wang4wang4 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Hi every. I need some advice and help from your guies.

I bought my 2004 T6 at 2009 with 128000km,and the vehicle are slipping recently(140000km).
    I send to volvo dealer(markham toronto) to do the inspetion and they asked me to upgrade software that cost me 270$ and acutually useless to repair the problem.

I send my T6 to the dealer again 2 days later they upgrade the software and they check the problem again then told me the transmission has to be replaced.

I contacted volvo canada and luckly to get the parts for free but I was told to pay for the labour. As I have no relarionshio with the dealer they estimated to charge me arround 3000$ to repair my T6 which means arround 20 hours labour cost(118$/h). Is that resonable to use 20hours to replase the trany and riadator etc.? ¡¡Is that resonable for volvo only provide parts for free and not cover the labour cost for the defectivve product?

What shoud I do?
  • lemon2004lemon2004 Member Posts: 21
    NO do not pay it! Call around to other dealerships. I had to tow my broken down car an hour away to Jim Pattison Volvo in Coquitlam but it was well worth it! The service manager was amazing and wanted my business unlike Don Docsteader which is only a 10 min drive away from where I live. They were rude and condecending (it was like walking onto the set of "Mad Men" in that dealership...they are stuck in the 1950's and the service is horrible) and they wanted to overcharge me for the work $1,885 plus taxes and charged me $260 diagnostic which Coquitlam would have done for FREE. Volvo Coquitlam charged $1,500 including taxes and the work is about 12.5 hours no where near 20. Call around and tell them Vovlo Canada is aware of this fauilty transmission and will pay for the parts but you are looking for a good rate for the labour. The radiator and all tubes etc, all need changing too. If anyone out there lives in BC deal with Jim Pattison Volvo Coquitlam if you can they were very helpful, service orientated, wanted the business didn't act like they were doing me a favor but treated me with repect and best of all didn't try to RIP ME OFF like Don Docsteader!!! Goog luck and post us what your outcome was!
  • whosurpopiwhosurpopi Member Posts: 5
    I had changed the cv axle last week and found the plug at the end broke allowing trans fluid into the axle. The car started slipping in gear, and generally acting up. I called the local dealer and asked for the service manager, then asked if he was aware of the t6 transmission problems, and he said he has repaired many. I then advised him mine was now doing it also and he asked me to bring it in to look at it, and call volvo. I took it in yesterday, and recieved a call today that it would be covered 100% It seems to me Volvo is making this right. The car has 73k miles.
  • wavytopwavytop Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I have an 2004 XC90 T6....and guess what.....this morning, at 103k miles, the Transmission Service Urgent message appeared. Up until this morning, the car had been driving fine. But today I noticed that "drive" didn't seem to engage right away, and then within minutes of that sensation, the message appeared. I came home, jumped online to google the problem and found you guys. Thank you!!

I'll read through as many of these posts as I can, but want to ask any of you -- would anyone be willing to reply to my message, offering the major pointers about getting this repaired. I'm most curious as to where Volvo NA stands on this issue right now, what I should expect from my dealer in getting it repaired, costs involved (if any?) and anything else you can recommend.

I'm the sole driver of this car, and I've always been easy on it. I've been religious about service and any repairs. The XC90 has been a great car for our family, although it's had its share of repairs, so I'm bummed to think maybe it won't last as long as all the other previous Volvo's we've had.

And final question -- should I consider trying to sell it?

Thanks so much for any wisdom and guidance you can offer!
    You need to call Volvo usa service and ask for Betty--you need let her know that you cannot afford this type of repair. A class action is in place as we speak. Do not let them off the hook--they know they have a hugh problem with this tranny. Good luck!!!! They are covering 100%n of cars at 100k or less. Please be direct and firm--you might just get a better result than most of us. This new unwritten rule came into play about 4-6 months ago.