Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    With the vehicle running and your foot on the brake, look at the gear shift. Notice that the 4th and 5th gear settings are selected simply by toggling the gear shift "horizontally" either to the left (4th gear), or to the right (5th gear or Overdrive). On the other hand, lower gears (3rd, 2nd, and 1st gear) are selected by moving the gear shift "vertically", right?

Automatic transmission vehicles which have steering-column mounted shift levers (such as the Ford Explorer), typically have the Overdrive on/off switch or button located at the tip of the shift lever. Earlier 4Runners with center-console mounted gear-shifts had the OD button mounted on the left side of the gear-shift grip. The new 4Runners (as noted above) don't have a "button" for OD on/off. Instead, they employ the leftright "toggling" mechanism described above.

I'm quite happy with the toggling design in my '03 4Runner Limited-- I often drive with my right hand holding the shifter, and it's so effortless and ergonomic to be able to toggle back and forth between OD and 4th gear with just a slight motion of my right hand. That said, one drawback to this design is how easily a front passenger (especially children or a pet) could easily knock the gear-shift from right to left, accidentally sending you from 5th gear into 4th gear. Then again, pets should not be allowed in the front cabin, nor should small children.

When riding with an older child or an adult sitting in the front passenger seat, their left knee or hand are most likely to bump the shifter from right to left. If a front passenger unbuckles, turns around and kneals on the front seat in order to reach into the back seat area, this is another opportunity for the gear-shift to be accidentally bumped from OD to 4th gear, or v v.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Post 10655 pretty much explains it. I should have been more specific in my response....I did not mean that there is a button for overdrive....only that your gear selector should be in the highest gear while driving on the highway (this is the overdrive gear, but there is no specific button to press to be in this gear). If you are sure that you are in the highest gear, both by on dash display and looking at the gear selector, and you are still at 3000 rpms at 70mph....I think it is time to take it in to the dealership.....your gas mileage must really be suffering as well. Good luck, and sorry for any confusion!!
  • gblgbl Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I both sat down in the 4Runner yesterday and figured out that the shifter toggles back and forth between 4 and D. What a world of difference it makes. Thanks for all the feedback.

GBL
  • godsgirlgodsgirl Member Posts: 1
    I will be purchasing a 4-Runner (05) 2 wd Limited next month, but am debating between the V6 and V8. I test drove both models about a month ago (at two different times), and only noticed a slight noice difference on excelleration. I would like to tow a small travel trailer or tent trailer, but wasn't sure what everyone's experience with or advice is on V6 vs. V8. The dealer told me to expect ~$1000 difference in price. Any problems with either model that I should be aware of or anticipating?? Thanks for any help :)
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I have the 2003 V6 4wd, but if you are towing anything I'd recommend the V8. The V6 will do the job, but the V8 will leave nothing to risk.
  • themanqthemanq Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone compared performance between the 2 V8 engines?
  • jqbombjqbomb Member Posts: 1
    I installed the ipod2car about 2 months ago. I think it's great. Installation was pretty easy, and the ipod2car box fit right behind the stereo in the dash. I snaked the cable behind the AC controls and out of the underside of the dash near the gas pedal and hold my ipod in a swiveling proclip holder mounted in the ac duct on to the right of the radio. Gimme your email and I'll send you pic if you want.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2005 V8 4WD with 4,000 miles on it. It has developed a leak at the Pinion Seal (per Toyota Dealer). According to them this is not under pressure and I can keep driving it till they obtain the part.

Questions: Is this going to create a long term problem? and 2.) What would cause this to go. 3.) I was told by an aftermarket differential shop that there are several ways to repair this leak, and the correct way is a lenghty process - not sure how the dealer will approach it.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    This vehicle should still be under warrantee. Correct it now so they don't tell you later that it's not going to be covered under warrantee.
  • gratefuldadgratefuldad Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know exactly what type skid plates are mounted on the 4Runner? Gas tank? Radiator? Oil pan? Transfer case? Thanks Charlie
  • mountgirnarmountgirnar Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 4-Runner V6 and I wonder what the service intervals really are? On a Toyota 4x4 1995 truck I had a mechanic at Toyota in Ithaca said that the Toyota service intervals were put in for the dealers to make money on "preventative maintenance" which was unnecessary. He suggested simply just regular oil changes.

... I must say in the 75 k that I had the truck nothing ever went wrong. Is this typical of Toyota 4 runners as well?

Also, where can one buy an non-Toyota driver side assist grips? MY 4 runner did not come equipped with one. Partznet.com does not seem to list them.

Best to you all and thanks,
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    Hi jqbomb,
    My email is alaskaglacier@hotmail.com. Thank you in advance for the pics.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    This is from Toyota...
    Engine and fuel tank skid plates on all models; 4WD models also include transfer case skid plate. I haven't looked although I would assume that the engine skid plate covers the entire underneath area of the engine.
    I don't think that the 5000/6 month oil change intervals are unreasonable which are recommended in the mainetenance guide. I usually adhere to the 30/60/100 service recommendations with all of my vehicles regardless of brand although I am selective as to what they perform. For example, if Toyota recommends spark plugs at 60,000, then I will follow that but if the dealer recommends transmission fluid replacement at 30,000 and the mainenance manual recommends 60,000, then I will pass.
    Thanks. Charlie
    Many thanks and sensible advice jm.
  • foreman1063foreman1063 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought my son a 94 4runner 4wd manual with the 3liter v6. The vehicle has 126,000 miles and seems to be in excellent condition. I'd like to know if there are any problems or quirks with this model I should be aware of and also is there a good web site to order oem toyota parts? Last thing, I hear wierd noise when going through a dip in our driveway while turning the steering wheel. Sounds like it's coming from the left front suspension. Any ideas. Thank's,
    John
  • matteusmatteus Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently looking at an 05 4runner but want to use my ipod. I appreciate the information about the ipod2car. Do you know if this is usable with all radio options such as the navigation systen or the in-dash cd changer? Also, how does the ipod2car sound?
  • taketimetaketime Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a 2005 05 4Runner Limited with the V8, Navigation with backup camera (Eclipse AVN5435), salsa red pearl. IMO if it got better gas mileage it would be perfect. My wife and I are very pleased with the ride and comfort. :)
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    Which stereo do you have in your 4Runner? I'd like to install in my '03 with the internal 6cd changer but can't tell form the website how it will interact with the cd changer. Any thoughts?
  • taketimetaketime Member Posts: 3
    The JBL system with the 6cd changer and 10 speakers that was optional came on my 4Runner. I lost the 6cd changer when I had the Eclipse AVN5435 Navigation with Backup camera installed. I read the same thing at another site when the nav system was installed. We really like the Eclipse. Hope this helps.
    Can anyone tell me whether the 3rd row seats are removable? I see that they fold up, but can you unbolt them altogether. The spec sheet says NA regarding removabale third row. I only have three kids (only is understatement) anyway, I was looking to get the third row for long trips and would like to just use one of them. Otherwise I can't figure out where our stuff is going to go. I can see folding the thing up for trips to the depot etc. but it looks that thing will eat up alot of space as permanent fixture. Thanks for your help. Charlie
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    yes, 3rd row is removable, of course. you have the choice of removing either one or both.
    That is good news. Thanks ch
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    I was wondering the same thing. I have the 2005 SR5 V6 and my onboard says I'm averaging high 21's and 22. According to my gas gauge movement and my trips to the pumps I'd have to say 'no way' ! So my conclusion is it can't be correct. Has anyone done it the old fashioned way (with the V6) and calculated?
    (I didn't do it yet but plan to).
  • matteusmatteus Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there are going to be any changes for the 2006 4Runner, or when it will be released? What about color options, or maybe offering the sunroof with the third row option. Thanks.
  • hutchdaddy23hutchdaddy23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question for anyone who has ever had a problem with thier ignitor box. My 4runner only starts sometimes, i tried changing the ingitor box out, but the problem still remains. i can push start it and it runs fine. i am open to anymore suggestions that anyone might have. I am at a loss.
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    from what i could tell, 17-18 mpg appears typical for 2005 v6 4wd - mixed driving. you didnt state if yours is 4wd.
    I just bought a 2005 V6 ltd and I have found that my computer says 23/24 mpg on the freeway.... 17-18 around towns. Doesn't seem right according to the look of the gas guage.... but I will check it out with a trip on the weekend and report back..

WETNESS UNDER FRONT END MASK ...On another subject I bought a black mask for the front to protect the front end from bugs and rocks and it seems wet underneath and does not seem to dry out after the latest rain storms here on the east coast. Does this affect the paint underneath the mask and cause it to haze?

Best,
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Masks ruin your paint. They leave a mark on the paint at the edge of the mask. Get rid of it -- it does more harm than good.
    My many thanks. Again. Grazie.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Wondering how the '05 4-Runner owners like their truck, overall. I am thinking about trading out our '00 Expy for something more managable (I know the gas mileage won't be much better). In particular, does anyone tow with theirs; and how does the rear suspension handle avg. tounge weights (200 lbs). My past experience with mid-size SUV ('97 Explorer V8) was that while the rated tow capacity may be more than you need (I tow a boat about 3000# loaded), the rear suspension, with a load of people and gear, is often not adequate and results in rear-end squat unless you install air-lifts or other type helpers. Our full-size Expy has great tow attributes but the usual Ford repair issues are starting to surface and this will probably be our last Ford. I did notice on the "Problems & Solutions" posts for the 4-Runner the new ones seem to have some quality issues as well, any input on that would be valuable as well. I've never owned a Toyota but have had 3 Honda's and now a Mazda, all with excellent reliability and build quality. I've driven the Pilot but being car-based I really don't think it's stout enough to be a great tow vehicle, regardless of what Honda specs say. Any input much appreciated! :)
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Hi. I don't tow and I own a 2003 model, but I can offer one piece of info. Owners in past posts have stated that the Limited with the Rear Height Control Air Suspension (V8 models) will prevent the rear-end squat you mentioned. Plus, I recommend a V8 to anyone towing. The V6 is plenty powerful, but the V8 won't have to work as hard, and won't leave you with the woulda, shoulda, coulda done this or that result. Of course you'll have to spend the big $ to get it. By the way, you'll like a Toyota. In so many words or less, it won't squat with the air suspension.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    These are generally great trucks. Good choice to get the manual! I will bet you have heard about it before now, but Toyota had an extended TSB on these years (you can check with Toyota to see if your son's is one of the affected trucks - they will need the VIN) for the head gasket. You want to make sure that if yours is one of the affected ones, that it has been done or gets done now.

As for parts, if I am buying new, I just go to the local dealer, but more often I buy from a recycler called TAP Recycling - you can check their website.

As for the weird sound, what does it sound like and what exactly are the conditions under which it occurs?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• swordfish555swordfish555 Member Posts: 28
    Went to look at the 05 Limited today. I asked if a trans oil cooler was standard because It it not an option (no towing package). The salesman didn't know & I couldn't find it on the radiator. Does anyone know if it is standard.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    If you still want a mask to protect the hood, 3M makes a product that is clear and sticks to the front of your vehicle. The product adheres to the surface, so there is no space for water to collect and create problems. The only tricky part is sticking the product to the hood. If this is not done right, the hood will look like there is saran wrap on the front.
  • jeff193jeff193 Member Posts: 29
    I am begining to get reallly sad i bought the V8. the 60$ tank fulls...and I have no idea why but i am only getting 13.5mpg at best on the tankfuls. Mostly city driving. but im not flooring it and im not stopped at traffic lights for 20 minutes.

Any help please
  • sauriasauria Member Posts: 12
    GBL, I have the Michelins and have 8" on minum ground clearance. I'll check my rpms but I think they are lower -- sure you are in O/D? I have the 2005 SR5 V-8
    Thanks for the response. I actually had my local dealer check it out before I purchased and they verified that the the TSB had been completed in 02 but thanks for the heads up anyhow. The noise in the front end occurs when I crank the wheel hard to either side, while parking. It's not the power steering pump but other than that I really can't describe the noise. Thanks for the info on TAP recycling, I'll be sure to check them out.
    John
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    This may be too simple but I'll throw it in: I've been upping the tire air pressure in my Expy (plus K&N air filter) and have got it up to 15.5 mpg. Am going to try 40 psi this week (running 35 now); the tires will handle it no problem. 13.5 mpg is low if it's a newer V8 (you didn't mention year)- have you checked tire pressure?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    how funny! Two different people over in 4Runner Problems and Solutions had recently noticed the same problem you have! It is very common with older 4Runners, and is not really a problem.

I posted a link which explains it and also gives you a way to fix it if you care enough to take the time:

nippononly, "Toyota 4Runner: Problems and Solutions" #916, 1 May 2005 9:25 pm

That is the post that has the link. Basically you don't need to worry about it unless you want everything to be picture-perfect. It can be an irritating noise but isn't damaging anything. There is a section in there addressed to countchocula that explains about the steering stops, that is the one you want.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Thanks for the link nippononly. I'll be sure to grease my steering stops next oil change. I'll check in next time I have any questions or comments. Thanks again, John . Btw, this is a good site for oem parts @ great prices. http://alloemautoparts.com/
    I took a 350 mile drive lately and computed my gas mileage for a V6 2005 4 runner ... in two wheel drive... up and down steep hills and on the freeway, through towns, etc. 21.8 mpg calculating gas consumed by the pump infill... after the 350 miles. The guage on my dash said 22mpg. average.

I think using 93 octane which I did vs. 91 octane gas might make a difference in mileage.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I get around 18-19 on the highway in my 4WD V8. I usually drive around 70 mph. My combined highway/suburban commute (some of it stop-and-go) is around 17.5 mph. Those numbers are calculated by dividing gallons put in the tank by miles driven.

I typically find that the computer in the dash is 1-2 mpg optimistic. YMMV.
  • fishtookfishtook Member Posts: 17
    Any "Sport Edition" owners care to comment how the ride is ?? Is it bumpy vs
    LTD ??
  • slarryslarry Member Posts: 19
    Mine is exactly the same for my V-8, 17.5 MPG, with the same conditions as yours.
    Couple of clarifications. Your formula was reversed, it's miles driven divided by gallons put in tank.... and I believe you meant MPG. I still don't think that mileage is bad. Surely when people bought a 4R within the past 6-months they never thought gas would be going down. Remember when it was a 1.50 not too very long ago and we got use to it. We have to do the same when it's over 2.50 a gallon, cause that will even seem cheap if it goes to 3 bucks. It's not going to get cheaper, it may stabilize a bit, but then go back up even higher. Trading your 4R in would cost you lots of $$$$ and you wouldn't make that up in the fuel economy you get from a compact car, plus you'd be miserable without your
    4 runner :) .
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I have an 03 v8 sport edition. I would not consider the ride bumpy. The suspension is stiff, but I like that kind of ride. I find that you have better feel for the road if the suspension is stiff. I have not driven the LTD version, so I cannot comment.
    I have the XREAS suspension, which makes cornering a breeze, i.e. very little body roll.
  • pdxorepdxore Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when Toyota plans to introduce the 4Runner Hybrid? I am shopping, but wouldn't mind waiting a year if they will be brought out in the fall of 06.
    Toyota currently does not have plans for a 4runner hybrid. Hybrids usually take a couple of years to get to market once it has been decided to develop. I think you will be waiting awhile.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2005 V8 4wd and get between 17.9 and 18.2 MPG. (I top off as I get almost 3 extra gallons in and drive 130 miles a day). I have almost ideal highway driving conditions with less than 2 miles of surface streets before I get on the freeway (total both directions).

I typically drive at 75 MPH or so and tank ave speed is 56 MPH. I start at sea level and climb to 1500 ft and then return home. So I guess unless I slow down this is the best it will get. 6000 miles so far. I think its great for the comfortable ride and the really smooth and effortless power.

This SUV replaced a very reliable Isuzu Rodeo (1994) that also gave about the same mileage with a noisy rough ride.

I hope to enjoy it until the Hybrid version is delivered to the market.