Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Power Door Locks

tcturnertcturner Member Posts: 7
edited December 2013 in Honda
Hi
Just bought a 06 crv need to know if the door locks can be set to lock when it is started.Had 2000 Rav4 and it could be programmed .Wife loved that it did it for safety ,me not so much,Wife wins. Oh-well.
Jim in TO

Comments

• finbar_oharafinbar_ohara Member Posts: 29
    It's in the manual, but tricky to program. I have mine set to lock all doors when I go into DRIVE and to unlock all when I go into PARK. It took about 10 minutes to figure out for my 2007 CRV. Pretty sure its the same for the '06.
  • 51985198 Member Posts: 11
    I have an 06-CRV and just read through the manula and did not find how to program the dook locks. Can you help with where in your book it describes how? thks
  • tcturnertcturner Member Posts: 7
    I looked through my book and couldn't find it either.I have been told by another CRV sight that the 06 can not be programmed but the 07 can.The only way to do it is if you install an after market alarm and I am not going to do that.
    Jim in TO
  • 51985198 Member Posts: 11
    Thks for checking. Bummer! I have an alarm but it continues to have problems going off at 2am. Neighbors not too happy.
  • tcturnertcturner Member Posts: 7
    If you are having problems ,you might want to have an after market alarm installed. I had one put in my Daughters Echo for $350.00 Canadian,installed and taxes and it can be programmed to lock the doors on start and unlock when she turns it off and you can adjust the sensitivity so it does not go off all the time.
    Jim in TO
  • flasharinoflasharino Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday, after driving to the store, I got out of my 2002 CR-V, hit the lock button on the remote and instead of the usual click of the locks going down the horn gave 3 short beeps. I checked all the doors to make sure they were ok and they were. The locks did go down but I have no idea why the horn beeped. It has continued to do that every time I park. I searched the Net but I didn't find anything. Does anyone know why this happened?

Thanks,
    Flash
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I bet you the Owner's Manual has the answer. :-)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I bet you the Owner's Manual has the answer.

Of course that's not particularly helpful if one does not have a copy of the owner's manual. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jaruylejaruyle Member Posts: 6
    In the last two months, two of the power door locks on my 03 CRV have gone kaput (incl. the drivers door). I've tried searching this site for more details, but am not finding much.
    Do any of you fine folks out there have similar experiences, and if so, what is the best (and least expensive) remedy?
  • scannerman28scannerman28 Member Posts: 1
    when i first bought my crvi-ctdi sport 2005 2.2i
    i took the key out of the ignition and sat in the rear seat and after a few seconds the car locked its self and put the alarm on, yet when i got out of the car it did'nt lock its self, why ???
  • coolhondacoolhonda Member Posts: 7
    Hi, When I press my keyless lock button on my Honda CRV all doors lock except for the driver's door lock. I tried pressing the lever on the driver's door to lock all doors, but the driver's door lock still doesn't lock. Has anyone repaired this themselves or know what to do to fix it?
    Hi, When I press my keyless lock button on my Honda CRV all doors lock except for the driver's door lock. I tried pressing the lever on the driver's door to lock all doors, but the driver's door lock still doesn't lock. Has anyone repaired this themselves or know what to do to fix it?

If the driver's door is open when you trying to do this then you need to go back and Read The Fine owners Manual!
    Thanks but my driver's door was closed but unlocked when trying to lock it with my remote button from outside my car.
    Thanks but my driver's door was closed but unlocked when trying to lock it with my remote button from outside my car.

Two separate issues. Original question was about locking, not unlocking.
    that's true I should have mentioned that the driver's door does not lock anddoes not unlock using my keyless lock or unlock button. I read somewhere it is likely the solenoid that is the problem but to check the fuse first.. ...so that's my plan for now. The user manual does not have much about this as far as I can see. Thanks for now.
    If the keyless nor the lock switch do anything to the lock when the door is closed, then it is probably the solenoid/actuator, or broken wire leading to it.
    Thank you very much. I'll give it a try.
  • noisydashnoisydash Member Posts: 5
    Are door lock actuators and door lock solenoids the same thing? Parts websites are confusing me.
    I have been told that three of my four door lock actuators are broken on my money-pit last Honda I will ever buy 2003 CRV EX. I was hoping to escape the dealer price of $600 by installing myself. Thanks for any help.
  • noisydashnoisydash Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone offer help on installing a door lock actuator? Thanks.
    Can anyone offer help on installing a door lock actuator? Thanks.

If you are going to be working on your car, Helm corporation shop manuals are the best.

Here is one for 2003 CR-V

It is well worth its weight in gold for any DIYer.
  • scott1212scott1212 Member Posts: 10
    All of the sudden, any time I try to unlock the doors with the button on the key or the unlock button on the armrest, all then doors unlock for a second and then relock. Has anyone ever seen this before?

It seems like the issue might be in the front, driver side door lock because if I hold the actual lock switch in the unlocked position, the doors all remain unlocked.

I've check the Driver's Manuel and there doesn't seem to be anything about this,

Thoughts?
    Probably broken switch, or the wires leading to it are shorted out.
  • bazz1bazz1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    My rear cargo door will not open at all. Problem started intermittent, would some times open, and then would open with either front door open. Have taken rear internal covers off and checked everything I could, but now that is has stopped working can not get in to check anything else. Fuses all check out ok under steering wheel. Any ideas at all please. Oops sorry if I have posted to wrong area.
    My rear cargo door will not open at all. Problem started intermittent, would some times open, and then would open with either front door open. Have taken rear internal covers off and checked everything I could, but now that is has stopped working can not get in to check anything else. Fuses all check out ok under steering wheel. Any ideas at all please. Oops sorry if I have posted to wrong area.

Does it unlock with the key?
  • sd73sd73 Member Posts: 5
    Hello -

My CRV's door locks and mirrors are not working. The switch on the driver's side door is unresponsive when moved up or down. The door locks work from the remote on the key chain though (???). I have tried replacing both fuses for the R/C Mirror and Door locks thinking maybe that was it, no luck. Any ideas?
  • indoflyerindoflyer Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    coolhonda.. did you figure out what was wrong? My 2003 CRV has the exact same problem and this started just a month or so back. The driver side lock does not operate with the remote keyless. I can however still lock from the manual lock on the driver's side door, which will lock all other locks. The other thing I found, is that if I lock the driver's door with the key (not remote keyless) after exiting the vehicle, and then do the remote keyless lock, then I hear the 'beep' to indicate the doors are all locked.

Appreciate ideas/resolutions.
    indoflyer.. not yet but most people I've asked suggest that the actuator or broken wire connected to the door lock / actuator. I'm planning to take apart the door panel again and check out this actuator and test for broken wires now that the warm weather is comming back to New England. If I find the problem, I will be more than happy to share what the problem was with our forum. Take care and enjoy the ride...
  • indoflyerindoflyer Member Posts: 2
    thanks! I might end up taking the door apart myself and checking this out. Any idea what the part# and the approximate cost is?
  • lobelia2klobelia2k Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I have a CRV 2005 and had the exact same problem. It escalated further when I could not unlock the door from the inside using the manual door lock. The actuator is your problem. The cost here in Philadelphia for the part is $57.91; labor was $285.00!!! Take the door off yourself and replace. Save yourself some big bucks! Good luck all. :cry:
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The actuator went on my 04. Next was its the power window. Now the cruise control is acting up. Haven't gotten the A/C crapout yet. The car only has 60K and has been well maintained. What a POS! I think Honda quality has gone way down.
  • lobelia2klobelia2k Member Posts: 2
    I too am worried about Honda quality. I purposely purchased a Honda because of their quality reputation. This car is not even five years old and barely has 31,000 miles on it and it too has been well maintained. Scary.
  • penguin59penguin59 Member Posts: 6
    2007 CRV - LX 2 WD ... Solenoid on rear drivers side door had become very loud when activated about two months ago. It and other 3 doors (and hatch) all worked fine otherwise as far as responding to key fob and manual lock activator and staying locked or unlocked. Auto lock worked fine after speeding up if doors were unlocked. Now, the driver side rear solenoid is even louder, but everytime the car accelerates through approx 9 mph all door solenoids relock the doors whether the doors were already locked or not. Will that occur if just one door isn't sensed as locked? I'm wondering if replacing the rear driver side solenoid might fix all problems?
  • hawg1983hawg1983 Member Posts: 2
    sd73,

I just finished replacing the auto door lock on the drivers door of my 2004 CR-V. This completely fixed the door lock problem I had which is identical to the problem you are having. The mirrors not working is posibly the connector has slipped off. Changing the power door lock was no easy task and took me about 3 hours start to finish. There are several sites that show how to do this but none were very descriptive and I had to figure it out as I went. Everything works like new again so it was successful. The part cost me $83 and change shipped to my house from autozone. Good luck!
    hawg1983,

Good to hear you finished and is working OK. Is the actuator the grey/black plastic box located on the left bottom side of the driver's side door that has two electrical connectors plugged into it? If so how did you detach it from the white plasic rod holder?
  • acegikacegik Member Posts: 2
    I see that I am not the only guy with a driver door lock problem. hawg mentioned having visited sites showing you how to replace the actuator. I would like to know where these sites are as I intend to do this myself. Additionally, I am worried about how to take the door panel off. In the old days I remember you had to have some special kind of tool. Any tips would be appreciated by this new member. Thanks
  • charlie121charlie121 Member Posts: 1
    the power door locks failed. I have the non antenna style so used the grey wire to re-run power to the module in the driver's door, got a used driver's actuator and module but the other three doors don't work even though there is continuity between the door and under the dash for the two wires that lock/unlock the passenger doors. Any suggestions.
  • kim_in_brkim_in_br Member Posts: 2
    If none of your locks are working, may be the electronic Modulator. I started having multiple symptoms... first locks wouldn't work, then my Brake light would come on intermitently and then my A/C wouldn't come on. Pulled into Dealership and they wanted to change out 3 different things, including $1600 for new A/C which they told me was fried. I paid them $75 for "checking my car out" and brought it to my local mechanic. They changed our the Modulator and that took care of the door locks, the brake light intermitently coming on and the A/C worked just fine! It cost me about 1/4 of what I was quoted at the dealership.
  • kim_in_brkim_in_br Member Posts: 2
    p.s. About 2 years later, I began having problems with ONLY the driver door lock not working with the key fob. Replaced the driver door Acuator and all is well.
  • dave361dave361 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 CRV is having a similar problem. All power door locks have stopped working and the parking brake light stays on.

kim_in_br you said that this could be an electronic modulator problem? Can you give more details. What is an electronic modulator?
  • stmradiostmradio Member Posts: 1
    Hope this helps someone. 1999 CR-V, but probably useful for other years. Just solved my uncooperative driver's side lock. For about a year I had to jerk on the outside handle before the key could lift the lock post and let me in. Sometimes I couldn't get out too. The electric lock would pull it back down. Pulled the door panel and unplugged, then found the problem was still there, except was no longer relocking itself, it just was hard to move, especially when hot. Took the whole thing out. Noticed a spring lying in the bottom of the door. Looked at latch mechanism and found two hooks with no spring. Loop on spring broken but I have a boxful collected over the years so was able to find a close match (about 1 inch long, medium tension). Now the unlatch lever returns to its place after the door handle released. The reason heat made it worse is the grease: slicker when hot, unlatch lever would fall back down when handle let go, blocking the locking lever. Now it stays up out of the way. Did have to adjust the length of the handle rod (take the handle assembly out while still connected to door, pull up and turn it around until the rod is right length [it is threaded at the top knuckle for this purpose]-- in my case about two turns CCW). Now everything works great. Decided I liked it better without electricity, left it unplugged. Can still un/lock the rest by the door switch, but do the driver door manually. Note: getting the assembly out is not very easy and getting it back in is worse. To get the window track out of the way: take off the screw below the latch on the end of the door, peel the rubber track out of the metal channel, and set metal channel aside. The rest is just paying attention and not forcing anything.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Nice job..

I bet you are pretty handy around the house, too... Wish you were my neighbor... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aplinaplin Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have any experience troubleshooting Honda CRV electric door locks. The issue I'm having is a bit different than the others. The drivers door will lock/unlock with the remote and when inside by pushing the button. However, the other 3 doors will not respond to the remote or the button that locks all doors on the drivers door. I've toggled the master switch on and off. I've looked at the fuses and they're all good. Any thoughts?
  • jmccurryjmccurry Member Posts: 1
    Our 2007 CRV is having problems with the front passenger door lock.When I put the vehicle in drive and begin move the doors all lock and then the front passenger lock slowly unlocks itself.This also happens when trying to lock all doors from the drivers door or with the remote.Any suggestions?
  • gosabgogosabgo Member Posts: 1
    This should be a recall because too many of use having the same problem. Obviously, it must be a defect on this actuator. Within one year, two of minds broke and they told me that it is wear and tear when I don't even go in the back seat of my car and now the driver doors actuator.
  • jkhicksjkhicks Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 CR-V. I am also having intermittent problems getting the hatch to unlock so that I can open it. I think that it is related to lock on the front passenger door. Did you get your issue resolved? If so, what was the solution? Thanks.
  • razorramonrazorramon Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 07 crv. I end up replacing the door lock actuator myself.
  • billyjo_jimbobbillyjo_jimbob Member Posts: 1
    Have you found a solution to this! My son has 1998 CRV, and only the drivers side door unlocks. the other three doors do not. I replaced the drivers door actuator, but no change. I even swapped parts from my 1999 CRV to no avail.
    So any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • kinzjjjkinzjjj Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 CR-V had the same problem: Suddenly the air conditioning, power door locks, and the intermittent wiper setting all stopped working and the brake light came on. The solution was to replace the multiplexer (not the electronic modulator). We had a used multiplexer installed and everything is working fine now.
  • mochibombmochibomb Member Posts: 1
    My 02 CR-V is a heap. First my stereo went out. Then my A/C. Paid $125 to fix it and it just immediately broke again. Only it's $1000 to fix this time. Then my cup holder broke. Then the cruise control stopped working. Then the light on my "D" for drive burnt out. Then my wiper fluid jet on the back window stopped. Then my passenger window quit rolling down. Then my keyless entry quit. Then my driver side lock quit working from the outside. Then my passenger side lock quit working outside. Now I have to crawl through the hatch to unlock my back door. Open my back door and unlock my driver door to get in my car. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. Seriously I thought hondas were supposed to be reliable. Even my mechanic is stumped at why everything is breaking because I take such good care of the stupid thing. I used to be a honda fanatic. Never again.
    Surprising to hear how these cars must differ. My 02 CRV is the best I ever owned. It has 206,000 miles and I only changed the spark plugs once, brakepads once, tires once, serpintine belt once and typical oil changes. The only problem was the drivers side remote door lock, but I learned to live with using the key. Someone else I know has a 2008 CRV and also has had no problems. mmm I wonder what the diffence is.