Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    Is there any information on the 2006 4Runner, I'm seriously considering buying one and would like to know something/anything about it...
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I doubt it will be much different from the 2005.
    But...do you know a time table for its release or where any information on it can be obtained?
    August or September. There won't be much information before then.

But don't expect much if any difference. It's only a few years old and they just upgraded the engine this year. I doubt there will be many changes at all. You can probably get a good deal on a 2005 in August.
    Is there a good website to get updates as they become available?
    toyota.com
  • 4runnersport4runnersport Member Posts: 5
    I am considering tinting the windows of my 04 Sport, including the windows in the trunk with the defrost lines. Does any body knows how long a tinted window job lasts before it starts bubbling? In case it starts bubling and I want to replace the tint film Do you guys know If the defrost lines get damage with scrapping of the bubbled tint film?
    Thanks for the any input.
    toyota.com doesn't have any advance info and such man, you know that!
  • hlanhamhlanham Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 4runner
    the two I am looking at are both 1998 limited 4wd
    one has 110,000 miles and the askin price is $11,500
    the other has 68,000 and $15,595

edmunds' appraiser says the the first ($11,500) is a better deal, but is 110,000 miles too much? if not how far can I expect it to go before problems start popping up?
    info pretty close to their vest, so I think you'll be hard pressed to find advanced information on the net.

Furthermore, as I said previously, it's unlikely that there is much advance information to get on the 2006 4Runner since it is likely to be pretty much unchanged from the 2005. The 4Runner is relatively young in its product cycle and last year got the revised, more powerful V8. So there's no there there.
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    hlanham -

Just my 2 cents... I've heard the guys on Car Talk say that, in their subjective opinion, 120-130K is a milestone amount for any car. Vehicles that pass this amount are apt to run "forever". The logic is that major issues which would spell the end of the vehicle would have cropped up by the time it has reached this point. A lot is going to ride on how these vehicles were maintained, something that you just aren't going to know. Some issues are somewhat unrelated to maintenance (for example, my radiator started to leak and needed to be replaced at about the 130K mark). Bottom line, though, I'd rather roll the dice on purchasing a Toyota vehicle with this amount of mileage as opposed to any other make.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    If you get a quality tint job such as 3M, etc. it will never bubble. All of the tint jobs that I have received have had a lifetime warrany. You pay a little bit more money for it but it's worth it. I haven't had to scrape tint film so I don't know the effect on defrost lines.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I wouldn't worry at all about buying at 110K. Those 3.4s were a great series of engines, they last a very long time. As does the rest of the expensive hardware on the '96-'02. Just have it checked out independently before buying - it is worth the $100 paid to a shop to know if anything is up. And as mentioned above, a lot will depend on the relative maintenance given to the two trucks, as to which is the better deal.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mountgirnarmountgirnar Member Posts: 9
    Off topic. Sorry.

Does anyone know where one can get roof handles for the 2005 4 runner? Stange and cheap.... but Toyota doesn't provide a driver's door side roof handle. I hesitate to even ask what Toyota would charge. Oddly, ther is a roof and window handle for the passenger.

Thanks,

Clark
  • rjenkinsrjenkins Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to buy a 2001 SR5 with the 3.4L V6 but was told by someone at work today that they have heard of reliability problems with this engine. Specifically about bad "sludge" problems and poor oil flow thru the head! Anyone heard of engine problems on this model year? Do I need to avoid?
  • rharverharve Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Limited and for some reason the auto open and close function on the moon roof has turned to a manual operation meaning I have to hold the swith to open or close the moon roof. The dealer says there are program instructions in the owners manual to change this function but I don't seem to be able to find them. Does anyone know how to get the automatic open/close function back? If at all possible I would like to save a trip to the dealer. Thanks
    Rharve18
    No, there were never sludge-related problems with the 3.4 V-6, the problems occurred in a different series of engines (the 2.2 4-cyl and 3.0 V-6 in some of the cars, Highlander, and Sienna). The 3.4 is a resounding success story as Toyota engines of the last 20 years go...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bswbsw Member Posts: 1
    My wife bought the 2001 SR5 FWD for me Christmas of 2000. The only time spent in the shop has been for oil changes. I only have 48k on my baby but my former Colorado neighbor and a co worker both with a 2000 model had well over 100k and
    never had a problem. We only use the Totota oil filters, just heard somewhere to do that because of the build in valve.
  • hometownhometown Member Posts: 1
    Any one know that how many years toyota will change the body style on 4 runner models
    ran six years and seven, respectively. I don't think Toyota will let the current Runner go 7 years again, I would expect to see something all-new for '09, perhaps '08.

• biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I’m planning on getting a 29 foot Fleetwood Pegasus Travel Trailer, dry weight is about 5500 lbs and GVWR is 7500 lbs. I plan on loading it up to no more than 7000 lbs. I presently own a 2004 SR5 V6 and have been dickering with a local dealer to trade it for a 2005 SE V8. He wants $8100 for the exchange and I’m coming back with $7600 (my limit) and he might take it. I was just wondering if the 7000 lb trailer is too much for the 4Runner V8. I’ve been told that wheelbase is very important too. I know the spec on the 4WD SE V8 is 7000 lbs, but has anyone had any experience with a travel trailer this large (and long) hooked up to a 4Runner.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    If it was me, I'd be looking at a different vehicle, preferably a 4-door pickup. You add gas, water, and supplies to that trailer, you'll be maxing everything, which will be fine if you don't mind climbing upgrades and inclines at 35mph. Of course you'll have the weight of whatever is in the 4Runner too.

I'd be looking at a loaded Chevy 1500HD 2WD with the 6.0L engine. With the standard 3.73 gears, the Chevy will tow 8200lbs. (7900lbs in 4WD). With the optional 4.10 gearing the tow capacity jumps to 10,200 lbs. And the average truck is $8,000 off sticker right now.

The Toyota might do better than I think it would, but I'd get a smaller trailer if it was me.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    11,000 posts, there have numerous comparisons between the 2005 new Pathfinder and the 4-Runner...anyone have any realistic comparison summaries, pros and cons of each one, aside from the Pathfinders that pull 4Runnders out of the mud and vice-versa???...there used to be a comparo topic here, but it seems to be shut down, and there is no need to start it up, if summaries will do...looking to the future, I would be interested in the fall with a Pathfinder vs 4Runner vs 2006 Explorer, as the Expy is being redesigned and might just compete with the Path and 4R...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    there used to be a comparo topic here, but it seems to be shut down

That's was archived over three years ago due to inactivity. However, just say the word and we'll reopen it.

tidester, host
    Towing at or above the towing weight limit is more excitement than I would want, particularly when braking and paying repair bills...
  • raystarraystar Member Posts: 6
    :) Here's a good one. I have a 2003 4Runner Limited which I purchased in May 2003. Fast forward to today (2+ years), my truck drives and feels brand new just like the day I took it home. Now here is my problem (not really a problem but a concern), My truck has 12,000 miles! Here's my question; outside of the oil (Mobil 1 SuperSynth 5W - 30) and air filter change back in May 2004, what else should i do to keep up with maintenance? I take the train to work every day and for the most part the truck is parked inside the garage and driven mostly during the weekends. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    Clark;
    I have an 05 SR5 V8 and noticed the same thing as far as the driver's side handles. I bought from the dealer & with the install it was about $70. A lot cheaper if you buy the part & put it in yourself. BTW, it's the same part # as the passengers side handle.
  • djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone have experience with the K&N air & oil filters for the 05 V8?.Will it invalidate the warranty or cause the check engine light come on? Also, I seem to be having problems with my seat seeming to shift from side to side when I turn a corner. It's subtle and doesn't seem to be related to the seat track itself. Almost like one of the other seat adjustments is a little loose.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    An aftermarket air filter shouldn't cause a warranty issue unless excess oil gets on a sensor or something.

K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?

Check out the consumer information and FAQs at SEMA.org too.

Steve, Host
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    I have installed a K&N in my 2005 4Runner V8. I have them in all my cars and I think it really is only a psychological advantage in terms of performance. There is a cost savings over a period of time if that is a concern and you don't mind cleaning it every 40K or so.

TRD makes similar filters for other cars. Not sure if they are rebadged K&N's or their own product line. At the time I could not get a TRD version so I got the K&N.
  • peiomipeiomi Member Posts: 20
    Anyone know what options will be added or deleted? I am specifically looking for BlueTooth, will it be available with Nav. in 06?
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Thanks for the reply and bringing me back to reality. I want the V8 SE though, (or should I say that my wife wants it), so I'll deal with the trailer issue (smaller one) down the road.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I too own an '03 4Runner limited. Every 5000 miles, I use Chevron Techron Concentrate in order to keep the fuel system clean, and I also rotate the tires every 5000 miles, along with changing the oil (I use Quaker State 5W-30 Full Synthetic).
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    So far Toyota has given nothing away as to what will be included/deleted from the 06 trim.....am anxiously waiting to purchase an 06 model.....and I know I have to wait until at least August to get any info regarding the 06 model.....you're not alone.
  • ricochetkiddricochetkidd Member Posts: 1
    Dude, thanks! I'm glad I am not the only one that had this "parking light" concern. I had some, ok alot, of body work to the passenger side of my 04 4Runner (thanks to the clown who decided to pass me on the Interstate via the shoulder - not to menition it was sleeting at the time!) I took it to the dealership the other day after spotting other 4Runners with the turn signal lights as parking lights on soild. Thought maybe something got screwed up in the repairs. They thought I was nuts! :P At any rate I'll be giving them a copy of this fourm to prove my sanity!!! :shades:
    Again thanks...............
  • toyotaguy21toyotaguy21 Member Posts: 9
    Towing at or owner limit is never recommendened unless you have a very short distance ie 2 miles.
    I have a 2003 4runner sport and tow about 5000 lbs out of my 55oo lb limit with out an equialization hitch. I can tow higher with one of those hitches(the kind that bolts on to the trailer).
    We tow live weight(horses) which is harder but a good test of a vehicles ability.The 4 runner tows better that my previous 01 sequoia. Probably because of a combination of transmission(5 speed) and weight to power ratio. Power is not the issue to towing a high weight, the 4runner easily accelerates with full load. It is stability and weight. We live near the mountains(Calgary) and see all to often the result of towing over weight. You lose control and the trailer comes around on you. Then all is lost. Bottom line is nothing tows better than a 3/4 ton pick up when you get to heavy wieghts.
    Then is you can go diesel. Alot of people here buy a 10 year old truck as an extra vehicle just for towing thier camper 6 times a year. That way they don't have to drive a 6 litre gas hog year round.
    Also if your going to stay with towing with a 4runner the limited v8 has the airbag rear suspension which is specificaly for , and I'll quote from the Toyota technical manual "more comfortable ride and occasional heavy towing."
    Good luck
    Steve D
  • mountgirnarmountgirnar Member Posts: 9
    Many thanks Djod. Seems pretty cheap for a $39 k car/truck not to have a driver's side roof handler. No?

Ref yours: " I have an 05 SR5 V8 and noticed the same thing as far as the driver's side handles. I bought from the dealer & with the install it was about $70. A lot cheaper if you buy the part & put it in yourself. BTW, it's the same part # as the passengers side handle.
  • toyotaguy21toyotaguy21 Member Posts: 9
    There's a site trademotion.com
    go your model then go collision
    then drill down to interior trim
    then grip handle

Good site actually. I found it while trying to find a replacement for my roof rack cowling after the
    truck was driven into a low overhead door.
    cheers
    steved
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Hello all. I have an 04 V8 SR5. The manual calls for premium unleaded. Obviously, with gas prices the way they are, I've often considered putting 87 or 89 octane in the tank. Has anyone done this? If so, what result? Thanks!!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Read your manual more carefully. It recommends premium, but only requires 87octane. The premium will give you added performance, but the engine will work fine with reg. unleaded.

Ken
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter wishes to speak with people who have recently purchased a Toyota 4Runner. She would like to discuss your ownership experience and what other cars you considered. If you would like to speak with her please send your name and daytime phone number to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com by 12 noon Tuesday, June 28. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• owiseoneowiseone Member Posts: 1
    I had posted a separate thread regarding my dilemna and got little response. I believe people on this thread will be of assistance. I have spent an hour or so reading about the 4runner on this thread (and it is difficult to still want one as it seems there are many problems with them. However, I know that most people here love their 4runner and these appear to be minor issues with them.)

Now, I have just sold my '01 Isuzu Trooper (an SUV I would not recommend to anyone). I am now deciding between leasing a 4runner and a Tahoe. I negotiated very competitive prices for each and am now looking at lease payments given the same down payment. The 4runner ($32,500 sticker) is an SR5 with the moonroof and the lease is 36 months at $350 a month for 15K miles. The Tahoe ($41,500 sticker) is a lease for 48 months at $399 a month for the same mileage.

Most of you having owned 4runner's...what would you do? Is the Tahoe (size and seating) worth the extra $50/month and extra year or is the 4runner the best bet. I know I would like either. Either serves our needs in terms of towing capacity and each are similarly equipped. The only real difference is size and likely gas mileage. I have had several friends tell me they get 17-20 mpg in the 4runner and several others tell me they get very similar numbers in the Tahoe (which I find hard to believe). All of our friends that own either love their vehicle.

What should I do???
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    That question would all come down to what you feel more comfortable in. Yes the Tahoe is bigger and more powerful, but do you need it? Yes, the 4Runner is $50 less, but could you get it for $80 less.
    I would say drive each vehicle for more than a 10 minute test drive to make a better determination of which you like. I really like both the vehicles myself but when my wife and I went to look at cars, we drove the Yukon (GMC Tahoe) and my oldest daughter complained that the rear windows only roll down about 3 inches. I know it sounds stupid but this is something on the vehicle that can't be changed because of poor engineering. The longer test drive will expose the pros and cons of each vehicle to you. Good luck!
  • alize2004alize2004 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone else experienced the terrible exhaust smell when the back window is down and you increase your speed? I remember seeing this problem with another 4Runner owner before I purchased my 04 Sport, but I never heard anyone else complain. I don't recall if there were any suggestions, besides the obivious of rolling up the rear window, listed anywhere. I never had this problem with my 2000 4Runner. I would always drive in the late spring - fall with all windows down and sunroof open to give the illusion of a convertible SUV. Now when I do that, I have to cover my nose everytime I increase my speed. Any suggestions before I take it to the dealership?

Thanks in advance!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Sulfur from 2003 4Runner too.

Steve, Host
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I know what the manual says. My question was whether anyone has put 87 octane in their V8 4Runner and whether they noticed a difference.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    While I've got the V6 and not the V8 in my 4Runner, even my manual states that 87 octane is fine, but for "added performance", 91 Octane is preferred.

I'd suggest you run a couple tanks of 87 octane in your V8 to see if you notice a difference.

If the engine "pings", then go back to 91 octane. If it doesn't, and you don't notice a drop in power, you're good to go with 87.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Read your manual. It specifically says not to drive with the rear window down. You've found out why ;)

This is not unique to the 4Runner. It's basic aerodynamics.
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    Hi Owisone--I would highly recommend the 4Runner over the Tahoe. I have an 04 SR5 V6 4WD will ~8k on the clock so far and have had zero problems. One thing you will find about these forums is that people rarely (not never) write in to say how much they love their vehicle. Too busy driving it I guess :)

I went with the Toyota because I liked the size, power and comfort. Mine handles great! It has just enough room for the odd weekend jobs (just got a new house so there are plenty of those) We recently moved from the DFW area to Atlanta and the 4Runner with 3 dogs, myself, my wife and some of our belongings was great for the entire 13 hour trip. My mileage is right on par with what you are being told in the city and a few ticks above that on the highway. To me it is the "right size" fits in the garage no problem, plenty roomy, especially with the seats down and can haul a trailer if needed. Hope this helps.
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 v8 4r. Used both reg. 97 and premium. Engine runs fine with either because of knock sensor. However performance is noticeably worse with the regular fuel. I also had a 2003 v8 4r, and the funny thing is, there I did not notice the performance difference. Likely result of the changes they made to the v8 to make it more efficient and powerful. The 2005 v8 does have better economy with better performance, though looks like premium fuel should be used to get this.
    Polartoy