Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Nissan Maxima

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Maxima = FWD
    G35 = RWD

I'm not sure as to whether they are built on the same "platform" but that's a meaninless comparison between a FWD and RWD car. While the G35 isn't as balanced and crisp as a BMW 335i, it's a lot closer to 50/50 than the 60/40 Maxima. Also, the G35/G37 can be had with a proper manual transmission if there is any "4-door sports car" desire in your blood. If that matters to you.

I suggest you drive both - extensively - before making a decision. And, by the way, don't automatically assume FWD means better rain/snow traction. I had horrible wet traction in my FWD TL compared to my 1995 FWD Maxima. Difference was high performance Z rated 45 series summer tires compared to H-rated 60 series all seasons. With the 2009 Maxima and the 18/19 wheels and tires it comes with, you may end up with the worst of both worlds - not as good dry handling as a RWD car like the G, but not any better wet/snow handling due to the tires. A RWD car with all seasons will beat the FWD with summer tires everytime, as my neighbor with a 5 series proved last winter.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Except QX SUV Infiniti and Nissan do not share platform

IMHO G35 is far superior car then Maxima...but little "more" road feel then MAX and some folks dont like that.

Maxima probably is better highway cruiser then G35.
  • ph01832ph01832 Member Posts: 1
    My friend has the Infiniti M35 and did not like the ride. He went to a different tire and is very pleased. If you want the tire info. I would be happy to provide it.
  • out4catout4cat Member Posts: 91
    Hey thanks for the offer, I drive the 07 Max SE with 18 in wheels, no issues with ride or comfort there. I like the Infinity M series design forward of the C-pillar, something about the back and rear end that just does not sit well with me, the tail lights especially, it looks like the back up lights were an afterthought and they just threw them on top. In looking up the dimensions on the car, the wheelbase is 3 inches longer than in the Maxima but sitting in the back seat does not seem like it, oh well.
    Not to burst anyone's bubble but has anyone seen the new Mazda 6, and the prices on the car?
  • user421229user421229 Member Posts: 6
    Hey has this happened to any of you that own the 2009 maxima. Today I went in for a dr. appt , when I got out of the clinic all of my windows were down. I was like what the hell. I dont even know how the hell that happened..I never drive with my windows open. So why did it do this??
    In my TL, if you press the unlock button once, the drivers door unlocks; twice , the reamining doors unlock; three times and hold it, the windows and sunroof open. Any chance you did it by accident?
  • nemesis04nemesis04 Member Posts: 15
    I remember reading that a certain amount of button presses on the pod will lower the windows.
    Before I purchased my 09 Maxima I test drove the new Mazda 6. Overall a very impressive re-design. A loaded 6 is definitely cheaper than the Max but the two cars definitely feel different. The 6, even though bigger and has the same dimensions as the Maxima still has a tighter feel. As far as fit and finish go, the grand touring has the best of the materials and would have been my only option if I chose that car. The lease packages were pretty crappy when I talked with the salesman.

The overseas version of the 6 is sharper looking, they definitely neutered some of the looks with the US version.
    Interesting how I have the opposite happening to me. With my 04, non smart-key Maxima, I could lower the 4 windows from far far away, not the case with the 07 with the smart-key. I sometimes have to be up close to get the 2 windows on this model to go down. I wonder if it is the battery or the key itself is faulty, the car is only 1 year old.
    I was impressed with the rakish design of the car without getting overly quirky, balanced design is a good thing. I can imagine that the foreign version is sharper looking, for some reason even the American car companies give us the toned down version of these cars and send the good stuff overseas (see the Ford Falcon for example). I was pricing the different trim levels and for me it would mean an 5k reduction in the sticker price for a good looking 6 with the same room. I do agree that Nissan has the most attractive lease deals, Toyota has the worst.
    Hey I have only seen one 09 Maxima on the road and it was in Precision Grey which is the color of my 07, I have not seen one in Tuscan Sun, does anyone on this page have one in that color? Is it hard to keep clean? I am glad they made the color deeper and darker than the old Sonoma Sunset (04-08).
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    I'm considering new car. Currently drive an '06 TL 6MT. Test drove the '09 Max SV Premium and Tech package. Loved the looks, handling, interior, and tranny. Not sure if I want to give up a MT and my reasons in the past was b/c I could not stand regular automatics and the jarring downshifts when making passing maneuvers or going up twisty mountain roads. The CVT seems to solve these issues. To me it was a very good thing. I guess I don't understand why this tranny is not what most would want or why they feel it is not sporty enough. It was buttery smooth compared to a normal AT.
    If "buttery smooth" is a priority over direct driver control, go ahead and trade in your TL 6-speed for a Maxima CVT. Just don't call that CVT "sporty" or yourself a driving enthusiast, please. The CVT is indeed a formidable cure for insomnia and it won't disturb your snooze in the drivers seat with the feel of a shift (or heaven forbid, the need to shift yourself). But if you have any warm blood running through your veins, and on occasion want to take control of the car you are driving, the CVT is every bit as castrating as a slushbox automatic.

I'm not arguing that the 2009 Maxima CVT won't be attractive to "most" Camry, Accord and Buick shoppers. It certainly will. But, IMHO, if Nissan wants any chance whatsoever of recapturing even semi-serious driving enthusiasts (and making their 4DSC label less of a joke) they need to offer a manual transmission alternative. Or, at a minimum, ditch the CVT in favor of a SMG/DSG if they are only going to offer one transmission. Nissan offering a sport suspension and high performance 19" tire option on a CVT transmission is worse than Toyota putting a spoiler on a Camry and calling it a sport version. At least that spoiler doesn't need to be replaced every 15-20k miles and doesn't give those who want "buttery smooth" a rougher ride in the interim.

It's challenging enough to keep even a "sporty" label on a FWD car that has bloated from 3,000 to 3,600+ lbs, but doing so with a rubber band CVT is beyond credible.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I don't have a dog in this fight but you really seem to have some sort of grudge against the Maxima. What gives? Any time someone posts about how much they like the Max you feel you have to rant about how bad it is. We get your point and now it is getting tiresome.

If you prefer BMWs, that's fine, but you realize that not everyone does. The vast majority of folks drive mostly in bumper to bumper traffic, on 35 mph residential streets, or cruise on an interstate, and still manage to fined plenty of excitement in their lives.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I must say that as direct and critical of the Maxima as habitat1 may come across, his opinion of the CVT is right on target. A sports package should allow the enthusiast driver to feel the rush of the car shifting, the CVT is as he states, for Buick and Oldsmobile (gee we know what happened to those). For the price of the sport package Nissan gives you 19in wheels (dress up), sport tuned suspension (what does that mean) and seats with an extra long cushion on the front (the cushion is too soft and by no means anything like the same bolsters on a BMW). Oh yeah and paddle shifters on CVT transmission. You know there is a reason why BMW takes an extra year or 2 to bring the M series cars into the market after the original versions hit the streets, fine tuning, real power, sophisticated and respectable performance, not just play dress up like Nissan. After all from the base line S to the SV-Premium and SV-Sport, the engine is the same on all 3, what gives?
    I agree that every day driving is what most of us do in bumper to bumper traffic but if Nissan is going to charge a couple of thousand dollars to portray their car as sporty, then by all means don't just give the Maxima a bark, make the darn thing bite and bite hard.
    I have nothing against the Maxima, have owned and loved all 3 of mine (the 04 was a challenge quality wise). I have something against Nissan talking the talk but not letting the car walk the walk. The engine can easily exceed 300 HP but they put that version in the fufu snob appeal Infinity and not the Sport Package Maxima, just not right.
  • cyberpunkcyberpunk Member Posts: 39
    Broken record, anyone???!

Friggin' go away, already.

It's hogwash to claim that the definition of a driving enthusiast is predicated on manual or rough automatic transmissions.

cecilt1 - as habitat1 has made abundantly clear, the CVT tranmission is not for everyone. He clearly doesn't like it. That's fine - but that opinion is no more valid than that of those that recognize that the CVT is the transmission of the future.

The world changes. The CVT is progress in automotive technology. It's a phenominal transmission, and a lot of fun to drive...and yes, that includes being fun for driving enthusiasts.

The '09 Maxima is a FWD vehicle with virtually no torque-steer whatsoever.

It's extremely responsive, handles great, and is a heck of a lot of fun to drive. It's a pricey, luxurious, sporty car.

Is it a true sports car? No - but come on, people, get over that 4DSC spin. Nobody that buys one of these things thinks the Maxima is a Corvette. We didn't take that tag as being literal when we bought the car...why are you taking it so clearly personally?? :confuse:
  • eric106eric106 Member Posts: 13
    I was wondering who had the Sport with Nav and how you like it. I was looking at the Prem. Package and really like the wood trim but its more expensive. Is there any big difference between the Prem and the Sport. Talking about Interior. Thanks for the feedback.
    Hey punk, grow up or go away yourself if you feel the need. I will continue to express my opinion about the Maxima and CVT transmission whenever I want and you are certainly free to do the same.

On your opinion that a CVT is "a heck of a lot of fun to drive", we clearly define fun differently. A CVT has NO "friggin" driver involvement whatsoever. How in the hell can that be much "fun" or "sporty"?

On your opinion that the CVT is "progress in automotive technology". I'll grant you that compared to a old style poorly engineered Nissan 4-speed automatic. But, as much as I'm not a fan of automatics, BMW's 6-speeds and Lexus 8-speeds are better performing AND more fuel efficient than Nissan's CVT. And if the metric for progress is "sport", everyone from BMW to Audi to VW and others have developed far superior SMG's and DSG's that can be set to automatic mode when preferable. Nissan tells you humm a fake shift, if you want to remember what it was like driving an old Maxima with a manual transmssion.

For the record, I don't have a "personal" dog in this hunt. I am now fortunate enough to have a 911S as a third car and not currently looking to replace my TL 6-speed. But I still would like to see, for the benefit of others that can't or don't want to dish out $45k+ for a 335i 6-speed, a decent, more affordable "sporty" sedan alternative from Nissan. I guess I'm taking a stand for the sake of others who, hopefully, don't get all of their sports jollies from watching ESPN while eating pizza and all of their driving jollies from humming shifts to the drone of a CVT.
  • teddy7117teddy7117 Member Posts: 2
    I love the constant pull of the CVT and I am a driving enthusiast. So while you are struggling to grab a gear please enjoy my taillights! Your argument is backasswards, there is no good reason why a FWD car should not use CVT. However, a RWD with a CVT would seriously diminish the amount of fun you can have with the car. Since many of the maneuvers one can achieve with a RWD are not even possible with a FWD I see no valid argument for opposing a FWD with a CVT!
    If you prefer BMWs, that's fine, but you realize that not everyone does. The vast majority of folks drive mostly in bumper to bumper traffic, on 35 mph residential streets, or cruise on an interstate, and still manage to fined plenty of excitement in their lives.

I can accept that. And believe me, driving is not my primary source of excitement. But, as old4cat said with less rant than me, if Nissan wants to talk the "sport" talk, they should walk the walk.

Here's an offer, get Nissan to relabel and advertise the Maxima a 4DCC ("4-Door Commuter Car), and I will exit this forum never to be seen again. That's exactly what a CVT Maxima is - and a pretty darn good one at that, with all the techno do-dads.
    I love the constant pull of the CVT and I am a driving enthusiast. So while you are struggling to grab a gear please enjoy my taillights! Your argument is backasswards, there is no good reason why a FWD car should not use CVT.

I don't think stoplight drag racing is a valid metric for driving enthusiasm. But since you brought it up, the 2009 Maxima with 290hp and a CVT manages to go 0-60 in a whopping 0.3 seconds faster than my 1995 Maxima with 190hp and a 5-speed manual. And my TL 6-speed with only 258hp will leave you squinting at my taillights by at least a similar margin. Granted, FWD is a significant limitation compared to RWD, but the CVT transmssion definitely has its negative impact on performance.

But beyond stoplight drag racing, the satisfaction of shifting your own gears and having direct control of the cars transmission and rpms is not uniquely limited to RWD. If push came to shove, I'd probably rather have my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed to take on a drive through the twisties than a current BMW 3 series with an automatic transmission. Ultimate performace would go to the BMW, fun and driver involvement to the Maxima.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Here's an offer, get Nissan to relabel and advertise the Maxima a 4DCC ("4-Door Commuter Car), and I will exit this forum never to be seen again

No, I have seen people leave forums before over disagreements and when that happens the forums are diminished and sometimes die. We need differences of opinions here to make it interesting.

Even though I disagree with you on this car you certainly have the right to your opinion. My feeling is that all cars are compromises to some extent and the Max is just what it is....and isn't.

Have you driven the new Mazda 6? Sounds like it would be to your liking.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    In August, I visited over 10 Nissan dealerships in North Carolina and only saw 1 red 09 Maxima. My personal view is that its the hardest color to find - but dealers were telling me that Blue was the hardest color to find. Of course, I was looking for a Blue Maxima:-).

One of my cars is red...On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (hard) to keep clean, I'd vote the Sunset Red as a 7.
    The remote does seem very easy to set off the "all windows down" function when the unlock key is held down. The key at the bottom of my wifes purse has been accidently set off at least once already. Infiniti owners have been complaining about this remote design for quite a while - some even going so far as disabling this feature from the remote.
    From an interior cabin perspective, the Premium Package gives you these extra amenities over what is already included in the Sport Package:

1) Air conditioned driver seat
    2) Dual moonroofs
    3) Rear seat air/radio controls in the armrest
    4) LED "mood" lights in the front door handles and ceiling
    5) 7" Color monitor w/rear view backup camera
    6) Rear sunshade
    7) Auto up/down feature on all 4 windows.

Nissan's website does a pretty good job of showing you the four different levels of interior accomodations (S, SV, Sport, and the Premium).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yo, let's avoid the name-calling.

Everyone is welcome here as long as opinions are expressed civilly and respectfully. It's easy enough to ignore posts we wish were not here. Some of us need to practice that a bit.
    habitat1,

Based on what could you possibly make the claim that the BMW and Lexus transmissions you mentioned above are more fuel-efficient transmissions than Nissan's CVT? I submit that you couldn't possibly know this, or make this statement, based on the published (or even real-world) MPG these cars achieve, as a little variable called the engine influences MPG just a bit.

I think I can sum up your beef against the '09 Maxima as being that a) there is no manual tranmission available and b) Nissan's marketing spin refers to it as a 4DSC.

I'll grant you this: If you are looking for a sports car with a manual tranmission, the '09 Maxima is not for you. That is what it is not , but in no way, whatsoever, does that take away from everything that the '09 Maxima is.

As of last year, manual transmissions accounted for less than 9% of all cars sold in the US. That number is heading south, and many estimates expect it to be around 6% within the next 4 years.

I know of no product that is successful at being all things for all people. I can hardly knock Nissan for focusing their energies on the 91-94% of the US market, and foregoing the expense of catering to the rest. And Nissan did this by providing one of the best automatic tranmissions on the market, the best CVT on the market, and a transmission that also gives the driver the ability to simulate 6 gear ratios (should one desire).

I do enjoy manual transmissions. If I were in the market for either a sports car or a car with a manual tranmission, I would not have purchased the Maxima. However, any lost sales that Nissan may experience due to the Maxima not having a manual tranmission will be a statistically insignificant number.

For its class (the flagship sporty sedan for a non-luxury badge), the '09 Maxima is the best overall package on the market.

But wait - don't bother responding. As the host of this forum just reminded us, we've got Ignore options, and you're now on mine.
    Just a suggestion/hint to anyone who has their 09 Maxima in Precision Grey, there is a wax available from www.topoftheline.com called pizazz that brings out the depth and brilliance of this color like no other wax I have ever used. The wax is less expensive than Zymol and Pinnacle products and works just as well if not better. One thing I do to make things easier and faster is apply it when the car is wet right after washing. You will notice the water beading gets smaller which means the wax actually does some of the drying for you, then I buff and rebuff with a clean dry towel and just watch the gloss. I used the product with my previous Maxima in Coral Sand (no longer available). I am sure the product will do the same with other colors but I just have not tried it in anything but Coral Sand and Precision Grey.
    As far as spray detailing products, I have used almost all of them, the one I find to be LEAST effective is Quick Detailer by Meguiars. It does spray off smudges, prints, and stuff like that but it does not add gloss or cover up fine hairline marks on paint like the other brands.
    These are just my suggestions based on experiences, everyone here seems to be passionate about their 09 Maxima and keeping it clean should be part of that. Don't forget to use detail spray on your wheels, they are also painted and clear coated these days. Have fun!!!
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    the flagship sporty sedan for a non-luxury badge...

Some creativity! You could also add large FWD and guess what, there is no one else in suck class. Avalon is not sporty, Passat is not large enough, makes Maxima a sure winner.

BTW, what's with using BMW name in Vein? No one in their spare mind should compare the current Maxima to the UDM.
    Does all premium Pack come with Navagation. Thanks.
    I think I can sum up your beef against the '09 Maxima as being that a) there is no manual tranmission available and b) Nissan's marketing spin refers to it as a 4DSC.

That's pretty close. I also have issues with the Maxima's weight bloating 20% from 1995 to 2009, but the dichotomy of calling it a 4DSC and not offering a manual transimission is my bigger "beef".

any lost sales that Nissan may experience due to the Maxima not having a manual tranmission will be a statistically insignificant number.

That's where we disagree. IMO, the elimination of a manual transmission option from the Maxima coincides too directly with its loss of interest among enthusaists, its dissapearance from comparision tests against the 3 series and other ELLPS and the 75% reduction in annual sales form 1995 to 2008. And, at the same time, the Acura TL significantly reinvigorated its sales with the 2004 redesign which just happened to include a 6-speed manual, sport suspensioned version of the car. Nevermind that less than 10% of TL buyers selected a manual transmission, the automotive press went ga-ga over the TL 6-speed and all of the comparison tests were with that "sport" model. Manual transmission sales were only 10% of the total, but overall sales wer up over 100% between 2002/3 and 2004/5.

I apologize for my "passion" on this issue which makes it difficult to accept where the Maxima has gone without expressing my dissapointment and hope that they are listening. In fairness to you and others that think the current 2009 is a well balanced car, CVT notwithstanding, I will concede that point. I am only suggesting that if Nissan wants to get back the serious enthusaist and capture the full market potential via the "halo" effect, it needs to "walk the walk" with a true sport version that includes a manual transmission. I believe the benefit of doing so will, over time, far exceed an additional 8% in sales volume.

Let me also say that I appreciate a passionate debate on both sides and although our opinions may be at odds, it sure beats the hell out of apathy.
    the flagship sporty sedan for a non-luxury badge...

Fine - call it the flagship for a non-luxury badge.

BTW, what's with using BMW name in Vein? No one in their spare mind should compare the current Maxima to the UDM.

Now you're singing to the choir. I'm only responding to these repeated "Maxima vs. BMW" or "Maxima vs. Lexus" comparisons that the naysayers keep throwing out there.

I too find it ridiculous to compare the Maxima to the BMW.
    I think you are giving the manual transmission (and lack thereof) too much credit for the TL's rise and the Maxima's fall throughout those years.

The TL improved nicely throughout the years, overall. The TL was becoming a better car, while the Maxima was (again, overall) losing its way and becoming "just another" Japanese sedan.

The Maxima's loss of sales was symptomatic of its overall transition into a very boring car. Sure - those that would only buy a car with a manual tranmission were part of the many that jumped ship. But no matter how you look at it - that segment of the Maxima's customer base had little impact on Nissan's overall decline in sales. You can't possibly blame the loss of a feature that very few people ever bought in the first place for a 75% decline in overall sales over a period of years. Nor can you credit a feature that less than 10% of consumers purchase for a sales increase of over 100% over a period of years. Clearly, Nissan's decline and Acura's rise, throughout those years, must be credited with something more.

Nissan did many things wrong throughout those years.

The '09 Maxima is an example of Nissan once again firmly establing a brand flagship, and righting the ship.
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Thanks for that info. Precision Grey is at the top of our wish list.
    I usually think that grey is the most boring color on cars and is at the bottom of my list. Something about Precision Grey though really looks sharp on the Maxima IMO--maybe because it looks more like a dark silver to me than grey.

MDX: did you find a blue one? Early on they were rare at introduction. I see a fair number of blues in dealer inventories now, not as many reds, very few of whatever that green color is.
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    The Maxima's loss of sales was symptomatic of its overall transition into a very boring car. Sure - those that would only buy a car with a manual tranmission were part of the many that jumped ship. But no matter how you look at it - that segment of the Maxima's customer base had little impact on Nissan's overall decline in sales. You can't possibly blame the loss of a feature that very few people ever bought in the first place for a 75% decline in overall sales over a period of years. Nor can you credit a feature that less than 10% of consumers purchase for a sales increase of over 100% over a period of years. Clearly, Nissan's decline and Acura's rise, throughout those years, must be credited with something more.

I think you and habitat are both right - and wrong - to an extent.

Case in point. I own and run an engineering consulting firm that, since the early 1990's has employed roughly 100 professionals engineeres / scientists, along with a few MBA's and attorneys. We recruit up to a dozen or so new engineers annually, so our average age is in the low to mid 30's. I've watched with some interest the cars that fill our parking lot over these years. Without a doubt, the "4th generation" Maxima competed with the BMW 3 series as a "frugal" sport sedan. I distincly remember the enthusiasm for that car at the time it was intorduced. I ended up with at least 7-8 in my lot, 2 of which still survive. Probably no more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the Maximas or BMWs from that era were manual transmssions, but as habitat claims, the manual transmission was a necessity to create the brand "image" that the Maxima was a sport - or at least sporty - sedan. And if you don't think brand image is an important factor in all sales, consider that Titliest is the #1 golf ball company in the world in spite of the fact that fewer than 10% of its sales are of the $50/dozen "Professional" model used by touring pros. And Nike has become #2 in spite of the fact that you or I can't even buy the ball that Tiger uses at any price. Nissan may try its hardest to recreate the sporting image of the Maxima through advertising, but a CVT only transmission is a glaring contradiction that can't be advertised over.

I am looking out over our lot right now as I write this and there is not a single Maxima I can see from the later vintages. A few Accords and Camrys, a few G35 sedans and coupes, several late model TL's, a few Audis, 8-10 BMW 3/5 series, but not a single post 2000 Maxima.

Now, on your side, I would agree that the manual transmission is not the only factor affecting the Maxima's slide from grace as a sporty sedan. I believe they still offered a manual option well into this decade. But between the increased weight, stodgy styling and Nissan's decision to promote the Infiniti G35 as their primary sport sedan, the Maxima became a "has been".

Personally, I think habitat is fighting a losing battle, albeit for very honorable reasons. Even with a manual transmission, I don't see the Maxima ever regaining the competitive position it had in 1995. As indicated, the G35 is now the "BMW 3 series fighter". And a 2008 328i will outperform a 2009 Maxima on all counts for only a couple thousand more, killing the former Maxima's 30% lower price advantage. The Acura TL jumped in with a much sportier car in 2004 and is now going to an 300hp AWD version. A manual transmission option might help dispell some of the ridicule Nissan is getting by calling the 2009 CVT Maxima a "four door sports car", but it won't roll back the clock to 1995 anymore than I could roll back BMW's clock to 1980 when I owned an original M1 sports car. (The M6 is an abomination, IMO). So, habitat, it may be best to enjoy the memories.
  • carcass29carcass29 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all, this is my first post and just wanted to share this.

I went to purchase 2009 Maxima SV premium package in Silver for MSRP $36,465 at Middletown Nissan/ Kia in upstate NY leased at 479 month 15000mi 39 month term. Salesman's name is John....said that this price was negotiable and once qualified we would talk about getting me a better deal. Approval went through and gave them insurance info...everything still going smooth.

They register it(get the plates) and insurance and call me to say they had the car shipped from other location to come in and do the final paper work...car is on site and ready to go. So I ask the salesman upon arrival "hey lets talk about that price per month and MSRP"(In Jersey and NYC) this exact model is $34,500-600 MSRP... the same vehicle with the premium package. He acts like he doesn't know what I'm talking about in front of the finance manager saying, " I never said we would discuss price?" WTF?

All of a sudden the monthly payment shoots up to $525 a month....hahaha imagine that. Oh and due to my credit not being perfect was the reasoning behind this price....credit is not as bad as they said it was....I checked months ago.

They basically said I signed a paper to approve this price (contract)which I didn't...it was just to show I paid $100 cash to show that I paid for them to run my credit! Do not give these guys any money up front...they made me pay $100 saying they could not check my backround without it. Make you sign a paper that you gave them the 100 as a receipt but really later on they are saying that you really signed contract. I'll be calling the better business bureau if I don't get my $100 back....BEWARE of these scammers! Unbelievable!
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    Is the '09 Maxima getting the stated 26 Highway miles or are people getting better. My '06 TL gets 31-32 Highway which I know back then before they changed the SAE ratings was stickered at 30 miles/gallon highway. I also don't go under 75 on the highway and have hills/mountains to transverse so before I give the Maximan any more consideration I wanted to see if anyone had real life numbers to share. Thanks
    Dude - where to begin with everything that went wrong with your experience (both the many things you did wrong, and the dealership).

Nope - I give up. Too much could be written.

I'll just leave it at this: Change your title. You have "leasing-experience woes", not "Maxima woes."
    Does all Premium's come with Navagation. Thanks
    My 09 is not broken in yet but my first real highway trip was 28 mpg. After my 07 was broken in I averaged 30 mpg for highway trips. I am not sure if I will hit 30 with this one though.
    The premium package does not have navigation. The technology package contains the navigation. There are cars available that do not have both packages.
  • mumble88mumble88 Member Posts: 9
    I had to get a new paint job because I got in an accident. The paint job came out great. I was very satisfied with it. To keep my car clean I purchased a car cover from www.carscover.com....but i'm just waiting to see if i should use it or not. I'm still unsre if its the right itme to use it...but yea, I like the paint job on it tho. So don't really want to ruin that.
    No, Premium Package does not contain Navigation. Its an additional $1800 (or so) to get the Technology package which contains the Navigation system and the hard disk unit to save your music CDs. It has capacity to save about 290 CDs to the hard disk.
    I own both an 09 Maxima and an 04 Acura TL. On the pure highway, the Maxima gets 28 mpg whereas the TL will get about 30 mpg. In mostly city driving, Maxima gets about 22mpg whereas the TL gets 23mpg. So, TL gets slightly better gas mileage.
    Maxima Fans,

Today's USA Today newspaper contained a full review of the 2009 Maxima. Overall, a positive review with some minor gripes. In my opinion, he spent too much time discussing the "little stuff" like praising the glove box size and criticizing the noise of the sunroof open/close function. Personally, I've not noticed any unusual noises opening/closing the sunroof.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2008-09-11-nissan-maxima_N.ht- m
    Thank you for your comment, I also hate grey tone cars for the same reason as yours, especially silver (no life to that color at all especially boring when bought with black seats). For some reason when I was on the dealer lot the day I got my car, Precision Grey looked especially nice, it had depth and gloss, and continues to catch my eye especially when just washed and waxed.
    I am more of a gold tone customer but they did away with sunlit sand, coral sand, pebble beach, and spirited bronze so precision grey it is.
    In checking inventory in 5 dealerships near my zip code, I found that the 24 cars available were available only in some shade of black/grey (from white, silver, precision grey, slate, and black, they are all some shade of black in my opinion). To add insult to injury all the cars had charcoal (black in my book) interiors, it was like going to a funeral home and picking out a coffin, just not good. The blue is a carry over from last year. Tuscan Sun is a new better looking, deeper, and darker version of last years Sonoma Sunset. The the new green color is called Mystic Jade. So in reality only 3 colors are non-shade-of-black, not much variety in a flagship vehicle.
    The interesting thing about precision grey is that most often it looks like a darker color than it is especially in the shade, very nice.
    My 07 with 8k miles averages 27 mpg hwy at speeds below 70, 24-25 mpg at speeds 70 to 74, and below 24 above 70. Keep in mind that the car now has 6 speeds with the CVT, my 04 had only 5 speed non-CVT and got me 30-33 mpg hwy at even 75-80 mph. I just don't get the math, one more gear and less mileage, how does that happen? I won't even tell you what I get in the city....
    WOW a polyester suit salesman can surely ruin the experience of getting a car.
    I got my 07 SE, $32,830 sticker, out the door by giving the dealer a check for $429.00 for the first monthly payment and nothing else, 39 months, 15,000 miles, tax, tag, and fees included. Really just 429.00 and out the door with only 38 payments left to pay. Monthly payment formula I use is .012 to .015 multiplied by sticker price, as long as I am within that, I sign and run, it has worked for me 5 times so far.
    Not for nothing but the TL and Maxima comparisons are getting old on this page. One thing to consider is that the Maxima is a Nissan product. The TL is an Acura product which is a dressed up Honda, fufu car from its upscale luxury division (what a crock).
    If you are going to accurately compare vehicles, based on the division they are produced by, and target market, then do Maxima vs. Honda Accord and TL vs. Infinity G34 (Nissan's fufu upscale luxury division (what another crock)). Any continued comparison of the non upscale Nissan division product to the upscale Honda division product are unfair and not accurately matched.
    So let's see how it would work:
    Honda Accord vs Nissan Maxima vs Toyota Avalon /and/ Acura TL vs Infinity G35 vs Lexus ES 350