Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    I went to a local Toyota dealership yesterday and inquired about the 2006 model. The guy there basically knew nothing about the 2005, so I wasn't surprised that he had no information on the upcoming model other than it would come out in September (he thinks). Has anyone else tried going to the dealership for information? I had a friend go to a Suburu dealership and get information about a next year's model of one of the cars...just wondering if I'm cursed wanting information AND a Toyota.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I don't expect that the '06 models will be ariving until late August or September. Toyota is notoriously stingy about information on upcoming models. That being said, from what I've heard, there should not be any major changes to the upcoming model. It is still in the middle of the current generation and after the upgrade to the V8 engine from last year, they should not be making any drastic changes. So expect a new color or two available possibly, but other than that and a $200-$300 price increase, not much.

Ken
  • 4runnersport4runnersport Member Posts: 5
    I am looking into buying a navagation system. I am thinking on getting the portable ones since I have the 6-CD changer in dashboard. I would like to know if anybody have an idea of a brand is best and what specs should i be looking for.
    thanks
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Garmin is probably the best known brand, but you might want to do some Googling in order to learn about other brands.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Navigation / GPS Systems too.

Steve, Host
    OK, talked to another dealer today. He said that he heard NO changes whatsoever. Not even small changes to the interior. He also said that Toyota only does option packages, no individual picking and choosing (i.e. if you don't want the spoiler, your only choice is the SR-5 or having it removed). True, Untrue, Sort of true?
    No changes that I'm aware of, possibly another color, and deleting one, but that's about it. As for options, he's somewhat true. He should have what's called a pipeline schedule showing how Toyota is building vehicles in your region. It will show how many of each model they're building and how they're building them. Factory equipment, for all intents and purposes, is not cusomizable. PPO (post production options) such as floor mats, etc. are choosable if you catch the truck prior to being built/shipped. So in your example, correct if you don't want the spoiler, go with the SR-5 or go to a body shop and have it removed and the holes filled and painted.

Hope this helps clarify.

Toyota Ken
  • rosiesdadrosiesdad Member Posts: 2
    Yes the towing package on the limited had an oil cooler. Open the hood on one and it will be very easy to see. If that dealer can't answer your questions. You need to find another dealer that knows his product.
  • rosiesdadrosiesdad Member Posts: 2
    My opinion on my new 4Runner Limited V8 is that it is the sweetest vehicle I have ever owned. And I have been through a lot of vehicles in search of the best. I had a Acura MDX, Silverado, Avalanche and a Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD. The Jeep was a lemon. Quite common from what I hear. Chrysler actually bought it back. The rest could not hold a candle to the 4Runner. The 10 speaker stereo is wonderful. There is nothing bad I could say about this vehicle. I think I finally found the best ! I even got lucky with the dealership and found a salesman that wasn't a low life. You can't go wrong with this vehicle. Gas milage so far is 18 1/2 mixed driving with the V8 on regular. But this is a fast engine and typically you will want to blow people off at a light now and then. So it has the potential to use a lot of gas with a lead foot. But now and then for me the smile is worth the lower MPG. I am sure I have found the perfect fit for me.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    4Runner compare with the current Explorer, in terms of physical dimensions...front and rear seat room, especially cargo room behind the second row of seats (I do not care about 3rd row seating), width, length, etc...are the Runner seats supportive and comfortable for long drives (4-6 hours)?...do they come with adjustable lumbar supports, for driver or driver and passenger...do some models have the lumbar support (say, limited) but not the others (Sport, SR5)...and any other thoughts that Runner owners (especially those who owned an American product prior to Runner) may care to offer...thank you...

Also, which models is the X-reas offered, since anything that makes an SUV corner better then a Caddy Fleetwood is worth considering...

Lastly, to the Runner owners...did you consider a 2005 Pathfinder, and why did you buy the Runner???...again, thanks...
    As for dimensions vs. the Explorer...
    length 4-Runner 189in, Explorer 189.5
    width 4-runner 73.8in, explorer 72.1
    height 4-runner 68.5, explorer 71.4
    wheelbase 4-runner 109.8, explorer 113.8
    Ground clearance 9.1 vs 8.5

x-reas suspension available on Sport and Limited models only, and does have a significant impact on squat, dive, and roll.

As for cargo room behind the rear seats and front and rear leg room, I would recommend that you actually look at both and take a tape measure with you. Each company measures these things differently and the measurements can be very decieving. On top of the volume of storage space isn't necessarily what's helpful. It's the layout of the cargo area, how flat is it, how square is it, how tall is it, how easy is it to get to and lift things into it.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    Hi
    I own an 04 4Runner V8 SR5 with 15000 miles. The truck is one of the best rigs I have ever owned with the exception of it having the most ungodly uncomfortable
    driver seats. The seat in all last generation 4runners all have an adjustable lumbar support, even though it actually hits your back way too high, not in the lumbar area at all. I'm 6 foot 1 inch tall and weight 170 lbs(not big at all) and the seat in way too narrow in the area where your but sits. This you will not notice unfortunately un till you have spent about an hour behind the wheel. This is in reply to those who will say If the seat didn't fit why did you buy the vehicle. I'm now in the process of trying to locate a seat from an 05 Tacoma as they seam to fit me really well( they are actually quite a bit wider where your but sits in the seat. If I can locate one of these it will save me the money of trading this vehicle off as I really like all other aspects of this truck
    I'm 5' 10" tall, 200 lbs., and FWIW, I find the seat of my '03 4Runner Limited to be very comfortable, even on very long trips. That said, those who may be expecting the cushy, boggy, mushy seat of an older Cadillac Deville, may be disappointed in the 4Runner's furniture. Then again, the newer 4Runners are among the most agile, responsive, and fun-to-drive SUVs around, so its firmer seats are perhaps more suited to such a machine than ones more akin to an overstuffed easy chair.

On the other hand, I will say that in my opinion, Japanese automotive manufacturer's still don't seem to understand that American drivers tend to be larger and more fleshy than our Japanese brethren. We Americans still often prefer seats that are wider, softer, and more supportive. Indeed, I think the 4Runner's cabin width and length could stand to be a bit larger, since this would allow for bigger and better seats, among other virtues.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I just traded an '02 Explorer XLT(41,000 miles w/V6, leather, six-cd changer, etc) over the weekend for a '05 4Runner Sport Edition. That X-Reas Sport suspension is really something. The wife and I wanted a medium-duty tow vehicle and she did not in anyway want an Expedition. I was really skeptical of the live-axle setup on the 4Runner, verses the independent suspension setup of the Explorer we drove for two and a half years. The way Toyota has the chassis tuned-you can hardly tell you have a solid axle back there. We will probably end up towing a little less than 6,000 pounds with it.

This is one of the best driving vehicles we have ever owned. And the V8 is GREAT!
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I traded a 2004 Ford Explorer for a 2005 V8 4Runner. The Explorer was a nice vehicle. It has more cargo capacity than the 4Runner, although the two level cargo system in my 4Runner makes up for some of that difference. Back seat room is about the same, but I would give a slight edge again to the Explorer. The big difference between the two vehicles, in terms of driver comfort, is the seating position. The Explorer's seat is more like a traditional truck or suv seat, meaning your feet will be hanging down from the seat. The 4Runner's seat is lower, closer to the floor of the vehicle, and your feet will be nearly straight out like in a car. It is really personal preference as to which is more comfortable, but the 4Runner is very comfortable to me on long trips. I have taken several of 4-6 hours and have never complained of any comfort issues. I have the SR5 model, and the lumbar support was standard.

However, the Explorer just cannot compete when it comes to interior fit and finish, engine performance, and refined characteristics. The Explorer's engine is thrashy, and runs out of steem when loaded. The 4Runner (although a V8), is effortless and never runs out of power. The interior of the 4Runner is far superior, and reliability is a huge issue for me. The transmission of the 4Runner is in a different class than the Explorer, with shifts being nearly un-noticeable.

Finally, the price. The 4Runner is more expensive, hands down. I think they are worth every penny. Because of the rebates, the Explorers are losing value very quickly. You will pay more for the 4Runner up front, but hang on to the vehicle for 5 years and just look at the difference in resale....not to mention vehicle upkeep. Drive both, and decide for yourself, but I think that the 4Runner is just a better vehicle.
    "However, the Explorer just cannot compete when it comes to interior fit and finish, engine performance, and refined characteristics. The Explorer's engine is thrashy, and runs out of steam when loaded. The 4Runner (although a V8), is effortless and never runs out of power. The interior of the 4Runner is far superior, and reliability is a huge issue for me. The transmission of the 4Runner is in a different class than the Explorer, with shifts being nearly un-noticeable."

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe how more refined the 4Runner is over the Explorer. The powertrain of the 4Runner is one smooth system. And to top it off, if the onboard computer is correct, I am getting the same mpg as with the V6 Explorer! Happy Motoring! :shades:
    In 11/01 I bought a new, '02, V8, 4WD Explorer XLT. (This was shortly after 9/11, and I decided to buy an "American" SUV in a patriotic effort to help stimulate our economy.) Everything went well until shortly after the 36,000 mile mark (hmmm..?), after which the transmission developed problems. (Fortunately, I was wise enough to have purchased Ford's 100,000 mile extended warranty.)

Following my 36,000 mile honeymoon with my new Explorer, it went on to spend most of the summer of 2003 in a Ford "Blue Oval" (supposedly "top notch") service shop. They would keep the vehicle for several weeks at a time, while claiming they were diligently checking and rebuilding this and that. On numerous occasions, the dealer used the old trick of claiming that the lengthy delays in completing repairs were never their fault, but were instead due to Ford allegedly sending them some wrong parts, or that they were waiting on certain parts to arrive, blah, blah, blah. The dealer never admitted any errors on their part, when in fact I think they just flat out lied to me throughout that summer.

Each time the vehicle was shopped during this ordeal, I had a very hard time reaching one of their supposedly "Blue Oval" service managers by phone, and when I did, I got the run-around. I even got the run-around from the Ford dealer's General Manager. And, when I'd finally get a call to come pick up my vehicle, each time I drove it home, it was no better, so back it would go to the shop where it would just sit for another several weeks, without the problem ever being fixed.

Meanwhile, I found much evidence that the hood of my Explorer was being used as a makeshift coffee table for the shop crew, and it also obviously served as a convenient leaning post for smoke breaks, etc. I would also find the previously immaculate interior of my Explorer to be filthy with greasy footprints, fingerprints, etc. Moreover, on one occasion I discovered that the previously immaculate exterior of my vehicle was peppered with roofing tar from work being done on the roof of the shop...

Before long, I tried contacting Ford's 1-800 "Customer Care" hotline for help, but after my lengthy initial conversation with them, they failed to keep their promises to follow up with me by phone, and in fact I never heard from Ford "Customer Care" again, despite my numerous attempts to re-contact them.

Finally, in 9/03, I'd had quite enough of Ford, where quality is "Job None". I got rid of my miserable lemon Explorer (along with the transferable extended warranty), took a financial loss in the process (live and learn....), and bought a new '03, V8, AWD 4Runner Limited with X-REAS, DVD-Nav., Michelin Cross Terrains, etc..

In brief, my 4Runner has been the absolute finest and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Moreover, my Toyota dealer's level of service has thus far been superbly competent, attentive, and above all, highly professional and trustworthy.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    It's good to see some things never change. I, too, had a similar experience with my Ford car, however, it was about 15 years ago. From that point in time, I have purchased 4 4-runners and have been happy with all of them. I usually drive them into 6-figures without any issues. I only turn them in to take advantage of the upgrades Toyota has made, like airbags, XREAS, etc. Until Toyota and their dealers treat me like Ford treated me back in the late '80s and early '90s, I will keep going back to them.
    :)
  • fido67fido67 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Elle,

I thought I was crazy too and i ask my wife to drive the truck and she felt it too. I drove to Houston last friday after been in the dealer for two times. Yes, because a vibration that starts right at 62mph, and man, it was a pain. I took the truck back to the dealer saturday and had the service manager drive with me again so he could feel what you and I feel.
    They have change the tires twice to Michelin from Dunlop. They said that this a common complain and I shouldn't have any problem after that; jajajaja ;-) . No way.
    Dealer says that they seem to have a problem with the balancing machine and they called the manufacturer for recalibration. After three days in the dealer we got the truck back today. However, vibration is still present.
    The dealer's customer service manager gave the Toyota customer service phone number to my wife and suggested to call them and file a formal complain.
    There is a law that protect consumer from defective automobiles; it's the Lemon law. Read it and I will email you again with the number my wife got at the dealer.

Pedro.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    Oops, here's my question:

I recently drove my 05 V6 Runner until the trip computer "range" said I had 1 mile to go. The yellow empty light came on when the computer said 20 or so. Has anyone driven until the tank was totally empty? I was just curious how many miles are left in the tank after the computer says 0.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    Not driven till totally empty, but have driven to where the trip meter has shown zero then another 10 miles or so. Typically my fill ups (including 2.5 gallons of topping off - sorry) are between 23 and 24 gallons. I'm guessing there are 24.5 gallons of usable fuel in the system. I am getting a real 18 to 19 MPG on my V8 4wd vehicle. Most of my driving is freeway and is done close to the speed limit.
  • muddin_funmuddin_fun Member Posts: 1
    okay i had to replace the clutch in my '89 4 runner. i got everything back together but when i tried to drive it, it is hard getting it into gear. it will not go into reverse unless you turn it off, put it in reverse, then turn it on. i checked all the fluids and bled the clutch but its still not working. any suggestions on what is wrong or how to fix it would be a big help!
  • toyotaguy21toyotaguy21 Member Posts: 9
    The furthest I've gone once the light goes is 60 miles/100 km. I probable could go further as well.
    Just reset one of the odo's once the light comes on and then when you fill up , fill it full. You will know how much gas you had left by subtracting your fill up volume from the tank capacity. Often I think I'm almost out and had over a couple of gallons left.(this usually happens when my wife and I switch cars and mine comes back empty.)
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    The lowest I have had the range is 8. The gas warning light went on with the range showing 15. Even then, the most gas I could put in was barely 22 gallons. Based on my mileage, I still could have gone about 35 miles before I REALLY needed gas. It seems to me that the computer does not keep an accurate range for miles left in the tank.
    I noticed that when I fill up, the range is set to 372. However, when I get gas, the addition of the miles left in the tank, with the miles I put on the tank are in the 325-335 range. Somehow, the computer loses 35 miles or so per tankful.
    :confuse:
  • yaroshyarosh Member Posts: 14
    hi, i have a new v-8 limited 4 runner that i just bought and love. i am curious about something. why does the 4runner have a 2 piece body instead of the popular unibody which i understand is more stable. does anybody know? also, what is the connector that lets you run stuff like a vacuum cleaner, computer etc on the interior outlets? thanks.
    Fully boxed, ladder frames are good platforms for vehicles that are designed for Towing, payload, and off-road use as this is the "backbone" of the vehicle. In a unibody vehicle, all parts of the vehicle are integral to its integrity. So for example, if you have a fender crumpled, it changes the integrity of the whole vehicle. That is why something as simple as a sunroof on many vehicles can make a significant difference in how it handles or rides as it is cutting a hole in a structural member of the vehicle. With a ladder frame, the body sits over the frame and is, for the most part, just to house the people, stuff, etc.

So in short, the ladder frame is better for heavy loads and work, while unibodies are better for space utilization and saving weight while integrating the latest in "crumple zones" into the body of a vehicle.

Ken
  • yaroshyarosh Member Posts: 14
    ken, thank you.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    sounds like you need to bleed it again, unless you had big problems with the transmission before you replaced the clutch. The manuals in these trucks go forever without needing repair, so I would imagine bleeding the clutch will solve the problem.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kalokalo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '86 4runner, and am looking to fix'er up. Can you recommend any sites I can check out? I've been a bowtie boy so far, so, I've got the s-10's down pat. This will be my first toyota. Looking to restore this as best as I can. Always liked this truck actually. Anyway, any info would be of great help.
  • one4racnone4racn Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 4Runner with the V-6 and 5 speed automatic and wanted to know if any has, or knows if it can be towed flat behind my R.V.? I didn't even consider this when buying it. I am sure I'm can back it onto a car dolly, but this isn't the preferred way of doing it.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jeff
    The only Toyota's that can be towed "dolly style" or flat on 4 wheels behind an RV are those with Manual transmissions. The only way you would be able to do so with the 4-runner would be to disconnect the front and rear drive-shafts. I had a customer who had this done with "quick disconnects" on a Tacoma, but don't know if it's possible on a 4-Runner.

Ken
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    This will read like a comment, ken, but it is really more of a question...I thought the best reason for ladder frames (or, I believe, a real chassis) is that the entire vehicle is strengthened, and will hold up better in a wreck...hence, my Crown Vic, built on a chassis like the 4Runner, should have excellent crash ratings, because the steel (?) chassis will take much of the impact...the downside, if I may pursue my thinking further, is that once the frame is bent from impact, it may permanently alter the vehicle dynamics, as I really do not believe it can be re-bent perfectly (any more than a paper clip, once bent, will never be like it was new, even if re-bent back to its "original" configuration) back to normal...

since the body and chassis should protect you in a crash, better the chassis be bent and totalled instead of the driver being bent and totalled... :D :shades: :confuse:
    I have an example I use often to show the difference between ladder frames and unibodies for someone. Hold your arm out with your hand upright at the end of your straight arm, and lock the elbow. Have someone push on your hand. If you're doing this right, you'll feel the push up through your shoulder and it will rock your whole body backward. This is an example of a ladder frame. Lots of rigidity in 2 directions. Energy front to back or side to side (arm is long side rails and ladder "rungs" are cross members) is spread out evenly throughout the whole ladder. This works well for pulling, pushing, etc.

Do the same thing with your arm, but bend your elbow about 30% and have the person push your hand again. This time, your elbow will flex/bend and you shouldn't feel as much pressure on your shoulder/body pushing you backward. This is like a unibody. In a crash, the vehicle "crumples" in pre-stressed areas to absorb the energy rather than transmitting it to, into, and through the passenger space. The unibody has more 3-dimentional strength than a ladder frame, but not as much strength in any one or two directions.

Keep in mind that a vehicle, no matter how costly is replaceable, while a life is not.

The last part that a unibody helps with is use of space. Because you don't have dedicated frame members taking up space, you can place needed equipment in more usable positions. Engines and transmissions can be placed lower in the frame without frame-rails in the way (better handling), they can also be moved forward (larger passenger compartment) and the floor can be lowered without lowering the overall height of the vehicle (still more passenger space).

There are still appropriate uses for ladder frames. You cannot put on a plow or tow extremely heavy loads without one currently.

Hope this helps explain the difference.

Ken
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    The range until empty computer does not have a linear relationship with miles driven. It also takes into consideration your gas mileage and adjusts accordingly. All vehicles that I have driven have given a range that is short of what can actually be driven. From my understanding, this is intentional for those that are still driving when the miles until empty says zero.
  • paul99paul99 Member Posts: 1
    In April of 2004 I leased my 3rd Toyota 4Runner. Two months later I noticed a 2 inch indentation below the left rear view mirror. No paint was broken. It looked like it was just pushed in. I had it taken out by a company called Dentpro. A few months later I noticed a similar indentation on the boot door just below the window. A month ago two more on these indenations appeared on thr boot door, all with no paint cracks. The idents do not seem to be caused by another vehicle. My Toyoto Dealer said while pushing a Toyota (4 Runner) by hand the metal indented. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Appreciate your reply. Thank you.
  • ddarlingddarling Member Posts: 4
    At least in my experience with a 2000 Limited 4WD, the vibration can be fixed.

First, change the front brake pads - no need to resurface the rotor (even GM says this is not needed except for bad scoring). The new pads add rigidity against minor rotor warp and stop vibration in the steering wheel. Use original Toyota pads of course. The other thing important to check is the lug nut torque. Even a few ft-lbs difference greatly affects the balance of the large wheels on the 4Runner. Untorque the lug nuts on a tire and retorque with a torque wrench using the appropriate star pattern. You will be amazed at the difference obtained.

Of course, also keep your drive train lubricated. There are 10-12 lub points for all of the splines and u-joints. Before finding the torque solution, I always found the vibration less after making sure the front spline was well packed.

And of course check your air pressure. Varying it a few pounds every month (e.g., 32 to 35 to 32) helps change where the tire is riding and smooth out tread wear.

Try these and let me know if any worked for you.
    So all of these will help minimize vibration.
    Finally, in 9/03, I'd had quite enough of Ford, where quality is "Job None". I got rid of my miserable lemon Explorer (along with the transferable extended warranty), took a financial loss in the process (live and learn....), and bought a new '03, V8, AWD 4Runner Limited with X-REAS, DVD-Nav., Michelin Cross Terrains, etc..

If the warranty was from Ford, you can get a refund for the unused portion. Just contact the Ford Dealer where you purchased it. I just got a $500.00 refund. I also purchased a 4Runner after my "Explorer Experience".
    Ken:

Couple of questions to a guy who seems to be able to simply describe things.

1. What is unsprung mass and why is it so important in handling? Is it different for unibody and ladder frames
    2. Is a monocoque chassis the same as unibody?
    3. Are solid axles better than independent suspension for towing?
    4. Is recirculating ball steering getting replaced by Rack and Pinion because R & P is better or just less expensive to manufacture?

Thanks

David
    First, thank you. I try to translate into "plain english" whenever possible. BTW, I had to look up some of this stuff so I hope this helps.

1. Unsprung weights are everyting not supported directly by the suspension, typically consisting of the weight of the wheels, tires, brakes, spindles, bearings, and part of weight of the half-shafts, springs, and suspension links. Because this part of a vehicle is in direct connection to the road and therefore subject to all of its imperfections, it is important that this weight be as low as possible, or at least much lower than the weight of the sprung part of the vehicle, in order that the wheels maintain contact with the road surface. It is not different in unibody or ladder frames, but unibodies often allow this to be lower as components leading to the wheels to be lower, they allow better on-road handling. The drawback is that when not on paved surfaces, being lower to the ground is not always a good thing. (Imagine a boy-racer celica going through a freshly plowed field)

2. Unibody and Monocoque are the same thing, just different terms.

3. For towing, you will get people who will argue this question to a standstill. Without question, solid axles are typically built more heavily. I have yet to see a Semi or full-sized dump truck with and independent rear suspension. However, the frame and suspension have alot to do with this. A big beam axle with a weak suspension will do you no good. My personal opinion is that if you're planning on doing any extensive towing, lean toward a solid rear axle.

4. Rack and pinion is a smaller package, faster in response(typically), and gives more "feel" of what's going on with the wheels and vehicle. Mostly it's for packaging and customer preference, although rule of large numbers prevail in that when you're producing a large number of the R&P's the cost per unit is lower.

Hope this all helps.

Ken
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    1. Unsprung weight -- think of this as everything below the springs, i.e., the mass that must be controlled by the springs and shocks. The heavier the unsprung mass, the harder it is for the springs and shocks to control it, the worse the ride and handling.

2. Agreed, unibody and monocoque are the same.

3. For towing, I lean prefer body and frame. I don't think independent rear suspension versus solid rear axle make any significant difference towing. However, most body and frame trucks also have a solid rear axle.

4. Rack and pinion is simply better than recirculating ball. Better feel, better tracking.
    Add one other thing with the R&P vs. recirculating ball. The recirc ball setup is a much heavier duty system. Usually used for larger trucks, semi's, etc. Not necessary with power assisted steering in modern cars.

Ken
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if you do a lot of offroad work, you will wear out your R&P steering a lot faster than your recirc ball, because R&P is designed to be more precise and communicative. Who needs MORE communication and precision offroad? The shift to R&P steering in SUVs in the last decade merely marks the attitude of the automakers that trucks need to behave better on road to please consumers.

Also, once the rack goes, repairs to R&P steering become VERY expensive. Of course, this happens late in the life of the vehicle, so not everyone will care.

Funny sidenote: was reading the 50-year retrospective in C&D from last month, and they had a list of the fastest and slowest vehicles they had tested for every year back a good ways. What did I see listed for 1990, but my truck! Yes, the 4Runner SR5 V-6 was the slowest vehicle to 60 mph that C&D tested in 1990, with a time of 15.7 seconds. LOL

I thought it wasn't so bad, considering that 12 years later, the 2002 Prius was the slowest with a time of 13+ seconds. Besides, I know my truck is slow. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I suspect very few SUV owners will go offroad enough to wear out their rack and pinion steering.

My 2003 4Runner does 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds. That's about as fast as my first car -- a 1978 Trans Am with a 6.6 and 4-speed. And the 4Runner gets better mileage as well.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Ran across this link for the minor redesign of the '06 HiLux Surf. I imagine the changes for the 4Runner will be identical. A bit disappointed in the few color choice changes, as well as retaining the quirky HVAC controls, among other things. Click on the vertically stacked gray boxes.

">link titlehttp://toyota.jp/hiluxsurf/index.html
    it's purty
    Guys:

Thanks for the great responses. I really appreceate it and got some answers that have puzzled me for years.

David
    David,

You're welcome and I'm glad it was informative.

Ken
  • gregp3gregp3 Member Posts: 1
    Help. Can anything tell me where I can add transmission fluid to the 05 4 runner? I recently bought the truck and I was changing the oil for the first time and I accidently opened the transmission fluid case. Now, I'm having trouble locating how to refill?
    Thanks
  • ajivoinajivoin Member Posts: 7
    Here are some other links:

Body color:
    link title

Interior:
    link title

Even if you can't read Japanese all you have to do is move your pointer
    over a link and look at the description in the bottom left status bar of
    your browser window. The name of the html file will give a clue what
    feature the link is for.

What I like about the 'updated' design is the curved fender flares. The
    flat surfaced ones on the 2003-2005 4Runners are extremely ugly.
    The round surface of the tire totally clashes with the flat surface on the
    fender flare of the current models.