Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Nissan Maxima

Comments

• poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Final note. Why are Acura's resale values the highest in the business and Nissan's mid to bottom pack?

My guess: Because those resale values haven't yet been diminished by how ugly the new TL truly is.
  • out4catout4cat Member Posts: 91
    In reading other Blogs in Edmunds, I find that the level of passionate discussion on the Maxima Vs. TL topic is unsurpassed. The topic also goes way back, started a few hundred messages ago.
    Here is the way I see it from afar, I neither own an 09 Max or the 09 TL, instead I went from the 04 Max to the 07 Max which I currently still drive and except for the CVT, find it a very nice car.
    Living in the DC area and having just landed from a shorty trip to Miami, I can assure you that in these 2 areas of the US, the TL is outselling the Maxima by a long shot. The streets are full of TLs in every trim and color. On the other hand, an 09 Maxima sighting is rare and far between. The Maxima may look good while on the showroom floor or the lot but on the move in traffic, when compared with the rest of the vehicles, the car looks awkward. The styling is too busy with obvious attempts by the design team to distinguish it from the previous version.
    Yes the TL grill is pretty awful to get used to, some area dealerships are addressing that by painting it in body-color, it seems to do the trick. By the way, as unpopular as statement as this may be, has anyone noticed the similarity between the exterior design of the 09 TL and the previous Maxima? Even the metal strips over the roof line and the buttress C pillar are right from the previous Max. Yes Acura decided to sharpen up the edges and it works great (Cadillac CTS-likish), but the similarity is there. Even the TL grill is as much an eye sore as the grill on the 04-06 Maxima. Park an 08 Max in line with the 09 TL and you might notice the resemblance; not similarity, I know better than to say that.
    I also find the interior of the Maxima as ordinary run of the mill, not too different from some Toyota products mixed with the Infinity dash and center stack. The 04 - 08 model, as unpopular as some may think, had a unique and distinctive interior design. Too bad it was plagued with cheap materials and terrible fit and finish. In my 04 the rattling and squeaking drove me nuts along with the panels that did not line up. In my 07 the rattles and squeaks are gone but there are still panels that do not line up (thanks Carlos Gohsn, poor materials at a high price and Nissan becomes profitable again, what a concept).
    Last point - Nissan owners may find it flattering that their Maxima is being compared to an Acura. Clearly the Acura line of cars is the upscale Honda product, similar to the Infinity by Nissan yet the Maxima is teamed up with the Acura.
    Oh well keep up the dialogue, especially the great lease deals on the Maxima. Inevitably I will eventually drive the 10 Maxima when my 07 lease is up.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Tony, Tony, Tony I hardly know where to begin.

draz, on that we are in total agreement.

The Maxima's nav screen is decidedly inferior to that in the TL and the nav system itself is much slower and doesn't provide anywhere near as much useful information as the TL's. It doesn't have navtraffic or weather and it's audio system can't hold a candle to the ELS system in the TL.

For all I know, you are 100% right about this. Which is one of the reasons I said nothing about this topic whatsoever. Who are you replying to?

You can call the engine intrusive noise level "feral" if that makes you feel better.

draz, I don't own the car, I merely test-drove it. I, for one, have no need to feel better.

As to the Bangle issue you really need to do your homework. Under his design leadership, BMW sales and market share jumped dramatically, both in the USA and in Europe. He was not "kicked" anywhere...he wanted the change.

Sure he did. And I'm sure he's equally enthusiastic about BMW walking away from all his most trademark styling cues. ;)
  • strehlowstrehlow Member Posts: 15
    Hello!
    I just got my new 2009 Nissan Maxima SV with premium and tech package. Awesome car! I was going through the manual and on page 4-126 through 4-127 it shows that you can access tire pressure information through the voice commands. When I tried to do it, both the tire pressure and trip computer options are not showing up. Any ideas why? Do I need an upgrade on a new car? Thanks for any help
    Nevermind, got my answer. That feature only applies to the Pathfinder and I think the Rogue. Not available for the Max although it's in the book.
    Here is a link to a custom shop that paints the front grill on the 09 TL.

http://mcdesignwhips.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/view/3033115-mc-design-whips-20- 09-acura-tl-sh-awd-for-esserman-
    Hardly the "refined sports sedan" look that I'm looking for. Looks like something that would be focused towards a much different demographic. Not to mention the cost of the additional customizations.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Latest rankings of JD Power Initial Quality were released. Overall, 2009 Maxima received 4 out of 5 stars for an "above average" rating. I've now got nearly 8k miles and 10 months on my 09 Maxima - no issues nor problems to report.
    When it comes to having state-of-the-art Navigation in terms of accuracy (new roads) and reliable information (POIs), aftermarket systems from Garmin (or TomTom) are FAR SUPERIOR to anything found built into cars. I own both an Acura TL w/Navi and a Maxima w/Navi and can speak from first hand experience.

A case in point, I live in Raleigh and I-540 was completed two years ago. Neither the 09 TL nor the 09 Maxima have this major interstate on their maps. Don't even get me started on points of interest!! I pull out my Garmin 255W, voila, all of the maps and data points are accurate!!

That said, I REALLY do like how current Navi systems have a hard drive so that you can have a TON of music onboard the car without having to bring DVDs or an iPOD. I do enjoy this feature - but probably not worth the cost of the complete Navi system.
    Why not simply say what you mean? hiding the prejudicial attitude behind "much different demographic" doesn't cut it.
    I simply used the link as an example of what the car can look like with the grill painted body color. I could not find one without the additional modifications that I guess automatically make the car attractive to what you refer to as "much different demographic."
    And exactly what is prejudicial about discussing demographics? And by prejudicial, are you insinuating racisism?

Demographics are the categories into which individuals are divided for marketing or census purposes. Commonly-used demographics include race, age, income, disabilities, mobility (in terms of travel time to work or number of vehicles available), educational attainment, home ownership, employment status, and even location.

Hasty conclusions often expose one's own bias!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ahhh, let's not make this personal okay, either of you.

I'm not sure how (well, yes I am, actually) this turned into a TL discussion, but it's not the right place for that either.

How about we either meet up in an appropriate TL discussion or someone makes a comparison discussion with the Maxima and let this discussion get back on track?
  • cyberpunkcyberpunk Member Posts: 39
    I haven't been on here in awhile - thought I'd post a quick update on my experience with the '09 Maxima.

I just past my 1-year mark at the end of June with this car. Mine is an '09 SV w/ technology package. I've put 33k miles on it over the past 12 months, which means I may well have more mileage on the '09 Maxima than anyone in the country.

In a nutshell, I'm almost as pleased with the car today as I was when I first bought it. I've hit every scheduled maintenance visit (many oil changes during the year, the 15k service, and the 30k service), and the car has been trouble-free.

I'm really surprised at how well the original tires have held up! I've still got a lot of life left in these tires. I thought I'd be getting close to replacing them by now, but they've held up really well. (Almost too well, as I've planned on upgrading to some after-market wheels when I finally do need to replace the tires, but at this rate that won't happen for another year!:))

The only annoyance my car has given me is a slight "pop" sound. Entering my driveway, I go over a bump, and when I do so while going slowly and turning left into the bump, there is a strange popping sound. It might be coming from the suspension - I'm just not sure yet. I've been meaning to get it into the dealership to see if they can find out what is making the sound. I'm due for another oil-change right now, so I'll have them look at it this next week. The sound is almost identical to a sound that my 2000 Nissan Frontier used to make. It took the dealership weeks to figure out what was going on at that time: Turned out a small break had occured in the weld between the truck's frame and body, and when turning at certain angles, the weld seam would 'pop'. Perhaps the same thing is happening with my Maxima? I'll find out.

In any case - aside from that popping sound under the right conditions - the Maxima has proven to be a great purchase.
    I've heard that same sound in two previous generations of the Maxima (2003 and 2006), and both times it turned out to be a failed tie-rod end. When they fixed the 2003, the dealer told me it was a common failure. In 2006, they wouldn't admit that to be the case, but seems to me that if I had the same thing happen in two different installments, then Nissan might have some trouble with the engineering on those components.
    Good to know! Thanks for the info - I'll use that when I take my car in this next week. I'll post what they have to say.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I didn't realize my comparison between the 2009 maxima and 2009 TL exterior appearance would generate such discussion. I simply was just comparing the exterior appearance and changes. The TL was change so drastically for 2009 that I feel the exterior has become ugly looking. That is my opinion but I have read many professional opinions who agree with me. I can make this statement because I currently drive a 2008 TL which is gorgeous inside and outside the vehicle and I hate what acura did to the TL for 2009. I would not get one and am thankful I got my 2008 when I did. For god sakes, the 2009 TL changed so drastically that it's dimensions now could classify it as a large luxury sports sedan. I had brought up the maxima because I like what nissan did to the vehicle for 2009. The exterior appearance is far superior to the TL. I do agree that the interior of the maxima is not as nice at the 2009 TL but Nissan has made great stride in the interior of their vehicles since 2007 and while the TL has a better interior the maxima interior is very nice. What I am sick of is people constantly comparing the maxima to the TL in regards to performance, quality, etc. You are comparing a luxury automaker (Acura) to a non-luxury automaker (Nissan); that is like comparing apples and oranges. A luxury automaker is almost always going to have a nicer and better quality product (mechanically and quality) because they charge more for their vehicles and can invest in better materials because of their higher price. Lexus has better quality than toyota, infiniti better quality than nissan and acura better quality than honda. You need to compare luxury division to luxury division, not non-luxury division to luxury division. Stop comparing the TL to the maxima and start comparing the TL to the G37 sedan and ES350. Those are the appropriate comparisons for material quality. The Nissan Maxima's interior is very close to infiniti quality but a little shy. The problem is toyota and honda have not had a vehicle in awhile and should really come up with a decent model that can slate above the accord and camry that can be compared to the maxima because those divisions are non-luxury manufactures such as nissan. All you can really compare the maxima with is the avalon but that is not contest because the max wins hands down in all areas. I know someone will argue that you can compare the maxima because of price but that just doesn't cut it. I do agree though that nissan needs to scale down the price on the maxima because even semi-loaded the maxima severely encroaches upon G37 sedan territory and the G37 is obviously a better vehicle to the max but there again you fall into the trap of comparing to luxury division vehicle to a non-luxury division vehicle. Both the TL and maxima are good cars in their respective segments and lets stop comparing them.
    I currently drive a 2008 TL which I love and my Dad has been shopping around for a 2009 Maxima SV for himself. A lot of people on hear have been saying Nissan has been given large rebates which have what helped to sell the cars. I don't know if it is the area of the country but hear in the Mid-Atlantic area, PA, NJ, DE, and MD we have been to five different Nissan dealers shopping for prices and all the salesman have said there are no rebates on the Maxima right now because they are selling really well without them and each dealer we have been to is selling 10-12 max's a week; my Dad has had a really hard time getting a good deal because they are selling so well so I'd love to know where these rebates are so I can tell my Dad!!!!
    This month's Popular Mechanics had its final review on the long term Maxima. It had roughly 8000 miles. Over time, gas mileage had improved. Only defect they experienced was the battery went dead in the key fob. Repair cost was $35 at the dealership.

If any of us hit this issue, they recommend we just fix it ourselves (at a cost of $2) as this was not covered under warranty.
    I know someone will argue that you can compare the maxima because of price but that just doesn't cut it.

Sorry, but in my opinion price is the FIRST basis of comparison, or at worst second only to vehicle size / class. If you're going to charge nearly $40k for a sedan with all of the modern amenities and technology, I'm going to compare it to whatever else I can get for around $40k.

The problem with comparing Nissan is that they've actually positioned the Altima as the competitor to the Accord and Camry, leaving the Maxima in it's own class.

For my money, I wish they'd put a bit less into maximizing HP and refining the interior. I'd gladly take a 250hp engine with better gas mileage and slightly less refinement for $32k.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Regarding the battery of the Key FOB, I just replaced mine, I have a 08 Altima, I was notified by my dash Infomation center that the Battery in my FOB was low and needed to be changed. So why did Popular Mechanics take it to a dealership? Also 8K on a long term driver???

Tony

P.S. It took my less then 15 minutes to change the battery, this includes reading the owners manuel on how to it.
  • dmccallumdmccallum Member Posts: 5
    2009 MAXIMA 3.5 SV 4DR PREMIUM PACKAGE

WINTER FROST, CAFE LATTE, FLOOR & TRUNK MATS

I really need help, how can get the best deal with putting $500 -$1000 down? In live in GA. I need my payment to be $400 per mo or less.

I'm working with the dealership via the internet. Here are the numbers they sent me. They gave me a deal of:

Vehicle Price: $37,900.00
    Theft Protection Program: + $299.00
    Preferred Customer Discount: - $3,416.00
    Selling Price: $34,783.00

Sales Tax (estimate): + $2,476.74
    Title Fee: + $46.00
    MVWR: + $3.00
    Documentation Fee: + $599.00
    Balance Due (estimate): $37,907.74

This would be for a 36 month lease @ 12k per year.
    The money factor is .00139
    The residula value is $20,446
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think you need to look at a much less expensive car.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    DMC:
    After reading all the comments on the 09 Maxima, including my own critical comments, I finally walked into a dealership and got myself one. Mine is Precision Grey with Frost Seats (no-way would I ever buy it with black seats). I must say it took some driving around to find the car without black seats but well worth the extra effort. Here is the deal I got.
    Sticker for SV + Sport Package + Splash Guards + Trunk and Floor Mats = 36,505
    Wholesale below dealer cost 29,900 for the car, plus taxes and fees. So I think your dealer can do better with the price of yours. Rebate may very well be in the deal package. Add to that the fact that I gave in my 07 Maxima 16months before the lease end on that one and was 5K upside down on that car. I still walked out paying 499.00 a month for 39 months with ZERO (0) money down, just the 1st monthly payment and that is it. If you calculate all those numbers, the dealer really went to bat to sell that car. Now take into consideration that it was the 30th of the month, at about 11pm and the dealer needed to make its quota. Nevertheless, I got the deal I needed to say yes and went from paying 429 for an 07 to 499 for an 09. How the additional 2,800.00 covers all the taxes, upside down payoffs, fees, and 6K higher sticker price on my 09 compared to the 07, I will never know but don't care either.
    In general I miss the 07's power folding mirrors, rear sonar parking assist, trip computer display on the center stack in large numbers vs. on the instrument panel in small numbers, dual auto dimming side mirrors, and the ability to have only one side mirror fold down in reverse vs. both.
    I gained a much better handling car, sweeter sound from the engine and exhaust, more horsepower and quicker pick-up, paddle shifter, way better CVT, and better fit and finish.
    I have only had it a week so more to follow as I drive more miles. Bottom line is I have to now put aside all my past criticism of the vehicle and enjoy having the latest Max on the road.
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Smarty,
    I think you might be visiting the wrong places.
    Do an inventory search on these places:
    Fitzmall.com Chambersburg, PA
    Antwerpen Security Nissan Clarksville, MD
    You can see that significant discounts are available in the DC area.
    Antwerpen shows MSRP of 37585 for 32460; 39205 for 33907; and 31205 for 26840.
    Brown's Sterling Nissan and Brown's Fairfax Nissan in NOVA used to post similar aggressive prices online but stopped a few months ago. You need to contact some of these places by internet first and see what they say.

I found these places online a few months back when I was considering the Maxima but ultimately bought a CPO BMW instead.
    Thanks for the info. I live about 4 hours from DC so I don't know if I'd go all the way down that way buts thanks for giving specifics on dealers with the rebates. I will def look into it. I do agree the frost interior looks the best in the max because it has the two tone color palate like the blond interior in the altima. The parchment interior with all that black interior panels looks terrible. Frost or slate exterior with the frost interior is def the way to go color wise.
    Smarty if you can wait until the week of the 18th June and are willing to come to the DC area (I know it is 4 hours for you), I can set you up with my salesman to work out a deal. Like I said in my last posting, I do not know how he jived the numbers to give the deal I got but if he can do the magic, you might want to give him a try. I always recommend dealing on the last day of the month though.
    Well, finally got my car in to the dealership to replace a cracked windshield, get an oil change, and have that 'popping' sound I mentioned looked at.

Turns out, I've got a defective front-right strut. Probably just a ball bearing or something, but the sound is definitely annoying. Funny thing is, the parts are on backorder and my dealer has no idea when they'll be in. Seems very strange that they'd be on backorder. I suspect this may be a pretty common defective part with Maximas...perhaps they are in the process of changing suppliers? In any case, the sound is only annoying, and does not impact my car's safety...and I've been listening to it for months now, so I suppose I can wait patiently until the part comes in.

My first warranty repair with this car!
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    Just bought my wife an 09 Maxima. We've noticed a popping sound coming from the left front. Turns out it is the struts too. I've looked on this forum and others and it seems Nissan does have a problem with struts and sometimes tie rods. My dealer said the parts would be in in a couple of days. Hope that is true and the parts are not on back order. Anyway we both love the car.
  • redbullredbull Member Posts: 26
    Congratulations on your purchase! I've had mine since November, and after 7500 miles I still absolutely love the car. I have had zero problems, and it is fast, comfortable, and beautiful with all the cutting edge electronics. I really love the air conditioned driver's seat, and the voice activated Navi works great (unlike the Navi in my wife's 2008 Highlander Limited, you can program a destination while driving). The iPod interface works great too.

I have Premium + Technology, dark slate with charcoal interior. Although not what you wanted, I think the black interior looks very sporty and masculine - I wouldn't have gotten it any other way. This is just a matter of personal taste.

I find it interesting that some who post here take pains to try and differentiate Honda, Toyota and Nissan with Infiniti, Acura and Lexus, as if it's some kind of class struggle with clear-cut lines of product differentiation. What about the GT-R? Is that somehow a lower-class car because it isn't an Infiniti? Before I bought my Maxima, I compared it to similar sport sedans at a similar price point: Acura TL (both FWD with similar power), Lexus GS350, Infiniti G37, etc. The Maxima compares very favorably in fit and finish, and quality of materials with all of these cars. What's in a name?

I did not like either the exterior or the interior of the new TL - but this is just subjective. The Maxima, IMHO, is better in both respects. Ditto the G37, I think the Max is better in both respects as well. I like the exterior of the GS350 a bit more, but the driver's seat is not nearly as comfortable as the Max. I was actually ready to sign the papers on a GS350, but the lack of padding in the driver's seat back caused me to walk away after a last-minute test drive. Why would Toyota skimp on padding in a Lexus? The salesman said it's because the GS is supposed to be more sporty than luxurious - that's not an excuse in my eyes - the car retails for almost $50K. The driver's seat in the Max is just perfect, the only one that I found to be better was the upgraded 20-way adjustable seat in the BMW 535i.

The G37 sedan with RWD and a real transmission on paper was more appealing to me, but the car is too small, and I just don't like the styling that much (the G37 coupe, on the other hand, is gorgeous though). Also the constant exhaust drone in the interior was irritating after awhile. And, the interior in the Max is more plush.

The CVT is okay, I don't mind it in every day driving. I would have preferred a real gear-shifting tranny though. The paddles are just a novelty, I haven't used them since the first week I had the car.

What about the exhaust sound in the Max? It has a rorty sound when punching it, but is quiet when cruising - to me the perfect combination. The Lexus had no sporty sound at all.

Fuel efficiency - My average for 7500 miles is now 21.5 MPG per the readout on the dash - and I am not at all shy with the gas pedal...

Overall, this is an excellent choice if you are looking for power, luxury/comfort and sportiness. Also, I get a lot of compliments on how handsome the car is in dark slate.
    JD Power just came out with its "Best Loved" car selections. Maxima won the large car segment. Volkswagon's won at least 5 of the car segment. Since I'm not a huge VW fan, I gotta wonder about these selections!!

BTW: Here's the link to the article.
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0907/gallery.2009_jdpower_apeal/11.htm- l
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Volkswagon's won at least 5 of the car segment. Since I'm not a huge VW fan, I gotta wonder about these selections!!

We VW owners love our cars because of the driving dyanmics, dash stroker interiors, ergonomics and Euro panache.

We VW owners don't always like our cars because of the random CEL's, bad coil packs, sludging turbo engines and various electrical gremlins.

But they have soul!! :)
    Hi, I was hoping someone could clarify something for me; do the 09 max's steering wheel controls illuminate at night? because I asked the salesman when I went for a test drive last week and he said they didn't yet in the brochure it says steering wheel illuminated gauges? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    HI smarty!
    I have a 09 Max SV with the Premium and tech package and my controls are illuminated in the red light like it is on the dashboard. I assume that all models are the same. It is hard to read what they say at night because the type is small and you have to watch the road but they are illuminated and it make them easy to find. Besides a few things I would do differently, the car is AWESOME. I am getting a lot of compliments, everyone loves it. And as much as everyone complains about the CVT and front real drive I don't mind it at all. It is nice to go from 20 to 90 in seconds without feeling the jerky shifts and as far as torque steer, I find it very non-existent and I have no problem controlling the car which handles great!
    Thanks strehlow for the information; I thought they were lit up at night; I think the salesman I had was new to the dealership because he didn't even have a business card to give me; I just finished up a Acura TL lease the buttons lit up which was really helpful at night and I figured the maxima would do that to
    I have a 08 Atlima Coupe and am looking to move up, when I drove the MAX at night I too found the controls hard to read, my streering wheel controls are VERY easy to read at night, I found that to a problem for me, it seems that Nissan didnt think this through very well...
    I think the reason why the maxima's steering gauges are harder to read at night are a two-fold problem, one is that the red-orange lighting Nissan uses is extremely dim and difficult to see compared to makers like Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus who uses blue or white illumination which are brighter to see at night; the second reason is that the maxima's controls/lettering on these gauges seems to be smaller than that on the altima's steering wheel; so both the dim color illumination and smaller lettering contribute to the problem; at least they are illuminated compared to my 05 FX35 which has no illumination and I have to feel around for the buttons which stinks!!!
    Do either of the dual-panel moonroofs on the Premium Package open? I can't believe they would sacrifice the ability to open the roof in order to provide the second panel. My back seats are used like 5 times a year, and so I could care less about the second panel, I just want a roof that opens!
    Yes the sun roofs does open on the Premium Package plue it comes with a shade for the rear window. I've had my car for two weeks now and I love the Premium Package. I hope this helps
    I would like to change my 2009 Maxima grill. What are a some web sites i should check out?
    I am sure it was the salesman. I knew more about the car than the 4 salespeople that I went through at my dealership. I don't think they train the salespeople at all. Nissan needs to step up on their customer service levels. Love the car, not real excited about the company from a customer service standpoint.
    Thats the way it is at all dealerships; I've had salesman at Nissan, Toyota, Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus over the years who know absolutely nothing about the vehicles I've test drived and my questions have never been really complicated like about package options, gas required, what kinds of technology it has and things of that nature. The problem now is they don't just say they don't know they make a guess and give the wrong information. I would be better selling the vehicles much like yourself cause me know more information then the salesman do. It just fustrates me to go buy $30 and $40k vehicles and the salesman act like they don't care or don't know anything about the cars. If your a car salesman you should be taking all the brochures home and learning them front to back. I'm also sick of salesman giving crappy 5 minute test drive and then when you ask to take a slightly longer one to get a better feel they give some [non-permissible content removed] reasons like insurance or we can't do that, etc - oh well
    Recent discussion on the steering buttons being lit got me thinking of one of my rare dislikes on the Maxima....

When you enable (turn on) the cruise control, there is a green light that turns on in the dashboard. However, when you actually engage the cruise control, there is no additional light to indicate the cruise control is active - you just need a "seat of the pants" feel to know the cruise control has kicked in. I keep thinking my Cruise light must be burned out but owners manual seems to imply there is no such light.

One other "design flaw" is that the trunk open button is not visible nor lighted. It also in a terrible location right under the steering column. It needs to be moved further over to the left.

There...I've said my peace. I still love the Maxima but these issues could be easily improved.
    how interesting, when I turn on my cruise control in my Altima where the computer read out is the word "Cruise" lites up, then when I set the cruise, the work "On" lites up... I find it odd that the Max wouldn't do this too.
    Thanks for saving me a trip to the service department, I thought the car came with a burnt out indicator. I find it interesting though that Nissan thought it was more important to have a little green indicator that the lights are on, which no other car I have had included, but no cruise-on light. And since trading in my 01, no fog light on indicator either. The new location for the trip info is awkward, I have not driven the car long enough to just get used to it but I did prefer the information off to the side where the radio display was.
    I think all the misfires on regarding indicators can be overlooked considering the addictive exhaust note (WOW), and in my case the improved (though not perfect) CVT; just my opinion.
    go mdx1, is this a 2009 maxima you are talking about with the cruise control issue?
    Yepper...2009. I also agree the lack of a fog light indicator is also a problem.

By the way, 2009 JD Power "New Vehicle Launch" success index has the Maxima as the 4th best launch out of the 27 "new" vehicles launched in 2009. Hyundai Genesis took the top spot. Acura TL was 23rd. Overall, a decent showing for the Maxima.
    "Rumor" is the following will be changed with the 2010 Maxima.

- alloy wheel finish will be different
    - two new color choices
    - diesel engine option from Renault (due out mid-2010)
    - iPod changed to be a USB port
    - NAV system to include Weather data
    - packaging changes
    - rearview camera a separate stand-alone option (don't need NAV nor Premium)
    - satelite radio a separate stand-alone option
    I'm interested in getting either a 2009 Maxima SV with tech but without sport or premium or a fully loaded 3.5SL altima; both are really nice cars and what ever one I get will be determined which one nissan is giving a better deal on at the time I go; I'm curious to know if anyone has test driven both these vehicles and if one vehicle has a better ride quality than the other in regards to control, bumpiness, etc? I know both have independent suspensions without a sports tuned suspension but I wanted to know if the max with its wider and bigger wheels would give a more bumpy ride than the 3.5SL altima?
    It's no match,,,,,,go with the 09 Maxima with the premium package. It's a very smooth ride. I didn't like to "sports" suspensions.
    I agree....Altima is also about to have some minor re-styling. If you decide to go with Altima, it may be worth waiting for 2010 models.