Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008.5 MAZDASPEED 3

indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
edited July 2014 in Mazda
I am starting this discussion to hear the latest from new buyers of the Speed3, especially those built in January '08 and later with the new body colors and interior upgrades. Let's hear about your buying experience, how long it took to get your car, how you like the new alcantara seats and piano black interior trim, white and gray colors and prices paid. I will be buying soon. I was just offered $300 below invoice for an in-stock purchase by March 31.

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I guess that is a desperate dealer. We have gotten full MSRP for every Mazdaspeed3 we have had. If I were you, I would take that deal before that dealer wakes up and realize how stupid they are being.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I would take that deal before that dealer wakes up and realize how stupid they are being.

I agree; my local dealer-Oxmoor Mazda in Louisville KY-has an ADM sticker on all their MS3s and won't let you drive one without a signed buyer's order. I wound up buying my MS3 from Kings Mazda in Cincinnati for MSRP, but they didn't charge me for trucking in the car I wanted from Cleveland, and I get free 5K mile oil changes for as long as I own the car. Best of all, the Kings sales and service staff are first-rate and have always treated me with respect.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Did you get a 2008.5 i.e., manufactured after Jan. 08 with the interior upgrades? I am looking for feedback on the quality of the upgrades and whether it is worth ordering from the factory.
    Did you get a 2008.5 i.e., manufactured after Jan. 08 with the interior upgrades?

Sorry, forgot to mention that mine is an '07. As for the '08.5 interior upgrades, the only thing I've seen that I don't like is the piano black trim. It looks like a cheap aftermarket kit and it shows every fingerprint and speck of dirt. To each his own, however...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

It probably depends on how healthy your particular local market is. It sounds like you work for a dealer, where?
    What is a "reasonable" doc fee for a dealer. I see it as pure profit for the dealer.
    I don't think I really have much to stand on when I say what I think is fair for a doc fee, since the company I work for has one. Ours is $249. I have seen then as high as $499, and as low as $99 in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT). I think ours is fair, because most of my competition has much higher doc fees.
    I know roadburner disagrees with me, but, I think the 2008.5 upgrades are much nicer. I really like the new cloth interior inserts as well as the piano black accents. I also like the white gauge needles. Also, the 2008.5 upgrade will set you apart from other MS3 owners because they look different, and there will be less of them. Dealers should have them on their lots now. I have two, a white and a metro gray. You should go see for yourself.

BTW, I think April is the last month you can actually order a Mazdaspeed3. As of now, there is no plan to continue the Mazdaspeed3 for 2009. Good luck.
    Thank you for your response and your insights. As I have researched many MS3 forums, I have seen many helpful insights from you. Here in Indiana, doc fees typically run around $150, however, we have a positive "market adjustment" on all Mazdas sold here. On the GT I'm looking at, it is $212 and it is on the invoice. Based on the aggressive pricing I'm seeing here, I suspect that Mazda suspends this on occasion for those dealers receiving high customer satisfaction ratings. I'm hearing 90% is a key level. Anyway, I know I've got a good deal going here and I certainly plan to take advantage of it. I'm trying to locate a black 2008.5 for immediate purchase, and I already have a factory order as a back up. While I haven't seen them in person, I am hopefully agreeable with your observations of the improvements made by the mid-year interior upgrade. While you are correct that Mazda typically produces MS models for two years, I wouldn't be surprised if with the success of the MS3, they continue producing it into '09 and perhaps beyond.
    BTW, I am assuming the interior upgrades are applied to all colors, not just the new white and grey. Can you confirm that I should expect the same interior on my Black Mica produced after Jan. '08?
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    I have loved the MS3 since it was announced and came "this close" to buying one... the only thing that prevented me from doing so was that I didn't like any of the 4 colors that it was offered in. Now it's offered in my favorite color - CWP :) and :(
    You wouldn't believe the runaround and outright lies fed me by dealer #1. The last lie was that the factory only takes orders for Speed 3's every three months. Turns out, they've used up their allocation. To make a long story short, I have taken my business to Dealer #2 who, not only gave me a better deal, but the straight scoop. They order whenever their allocation opens up. They had a black unit ordered March 7 which had not yet been built so they got the option order changed to my exact specs which are: Homelink mirror (tough to find on the lot), wheel locks, mats and cargo net. Hoping for production and delivery in approximately 60 days. Now I can focus on my wash/polish plan (Zaino) and start planning some mods. TMC short shifter first? New car jones at full speed.
    The last lie was that the factory only takes orders for Speed 3's every three months

Actually, that is true. Mazdaspeed3 orders are taken quarterly.

Turns out, they've used up their allocation

That is totally possible.

They had a black unit ordered March 7 which had not yet been built so they got the option order changed to my exact specs. Hoping for production and delivery in approximately 60 days

Don't be surprised if you have to wait an additional 30 days more. Typical order to delivery time is 16 weeks. However, Mazda has altered their production process, and seems to have cut out about 2 weeks of wait time. I'm not saying you wont get it in 60 days, just don't be surprised if it's longer.

Congrads on your new MS3. BTY, there will be a MS3 in 2009.
    I appreciate your insights. I am very happy with Dealer #2. They really wanted my business and gave me a great deal. Hopefully, the delivery process will be as good. I will be a long, hard wait.
  • jp41jp41 Member Posts: 2
    Care to elaborate on who Dealer #1 and Dealer #2 are? Located in a northern suburb, eastside, westside? I'm in Indy and looking to purchase in the next month or two. Thanks
    1=north 2=west. Ask for Ryan Johnson. Tell him GT referred you.
  • jp41jp41 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! #1 didn't seem too interested in budging much except for discounting their bogus dealer installed paint protection. I'm hoping to get an 08.5 GT in the metro gray as soon as they are available in our area.
    #1 is definitely a disaster. The internet salesman was making written offers his manager wouldn't back. He may have gotten fired over my situation. So, there was a big clamp down on discounts and deals so they could show the staff who's in charge. On the other hand, Ryan was great. He promised that he would earn my business if I gave him a chance, and he did. Everything he communicated to me was backed by his sales manager. Just like it should be. Dealer #1 will never, ever see me again and I'll steer everyone I can away from 1 and over to 2.
    My car was manufactured April 21. It took a week to get it on a boat. Two weeks from Hiroshima to Port Tacoma. Two more weeks by rail to Woodhaven, MI, a Detroit suburb that serves as the Midwest prep depot for Mazda. It is scheduled to arrive there today. Hard to say how long it will take to prep then find a trailer for its one day ride to Indy. Hopefully, no more than a week. For anyone waiting on a factory order, ask your dealer for the "VIN Inquiry". This internal document provides step by step dates on the production, shipping and prep of your car. Dealers should use this to their advantage and keep this updated to customers with factory orders. It definitely gets you locked in to your order.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    YUP I AGREE WITH HIM IM A SALESMAN FOR MAZDA IN COLORADO IF THERE SELLING IT TO U AT 300 BEHIND INVOICE I WOULDENT WALK BACK I WOULD RUN BACK BEFORE THEY DO COME TO THERE SENCES.
    Are you drunk or what? If you are really a Mazda salesman, I feel sorry for the way Mazda is being represented. You are pathetic. It's a tough time to be selling cars, especially those that require premium gas (now selling for $4.40/gl in IN). Many dealers are discounting EVERYTHING because they are indeed desperate, for good reason. There are many forum reports of Speed 3's being sold for $500 under invoice. So, we know it's possible when the dealer wants to move a unit bad enough. I wish you would identify your dealership so everyone would know to stay far, far away.
    Remember, the Mazdaspeed3 is a "specialty" car. It's a low volume car. If you want to try using the "it uses Premium Gas" trick to get a below invoice price, you might lose. Mazda as a company is not suffering, hence dealers are not suffering. Right now, the regular Mazda3's are in such low inventory, and high demand, that discounts are not as common as they once were.

If you believe every person who says they bought a Mazdaspeed3 "$500 under invoice", then you are just too gullible. There are a lot of liars here that roam these threads. I'm not saying it is not possible to get a speed3 below invoice, it is just not common.

For me, times have never been better! We had our biggest volume selling month last month, and I made the most money I ever had in one month too! I guess too bad for me, since times are so bad, right? :P I have seen people begging me to get them out of their gas guzzling cars, and into a fuel efficient Mazda3. It's the general public that is desperate, not the dealers (unless you are a domestic brand that sells nothing but SUV's and trucks)
    If I remember correctly, you are in CT and perhaps the market is just different there. For one thing, with all the flooding and hardship here in the Midwest, no one is thinking about buying a car. I don't doubt the reports of <$500 vs. invoice because I bought my car in March at <$300 below. So, I know you want to protect your commissions by not letting potential buyers know what's going on in the rest of the country, but these are the facts. It may never happen in CT, but that's just one more reason not to live on the East coast. ;)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
    Times are tough over here too. Gas is $4.47/gal for 87. These CX's are not selling as well as they once were. However, the Mazda3's, Mazda5's, Mazda6's and MX-5's are selling very very well.

Like I said, $500 under invoice is not common practice. A dealer may be inclined to let one go at that if it helps him reach a volume objective set by Mazda. Who knows! $300 under is definitely a good deal. How are you liking your 2008.5?
  • tripiiiextripiiiex Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys. I'm just ready to pull the trigger on the Speed3. What are the differences between '08 and '08.5? How are you guys liking the car in comparison to others that you were or are driving? STI is not in a budget right now so Speed3 is the next best thing for my.
    I finally got it last Friday. I drove off the lot straight to the tint man, then spent the whole weekend in the garage stripping, washing, clay barring then multiple coats of Zaino polish and glaze. Also removed the door moldings. Now, driving it is a blast! It's a lot smaller, lighter and more powerful than my last car. I also love being back in an MT. In summary, I'm thrilled with it. It has really brought excitement back to driving for me. It reminds me of my old motorcycle days with the way it dispatches traffic. And the Potenza RE050s stick like glue. It is very difficult to find the limit of this car on the street. Anyone thinking about getting one should do it now. They won't be around forever.
    See above. Just buy it and don't look back. I guarantee you won't be sorry. The differences are fairly minor and are entirely related to interior changes (seat fabric, dash and steering wheel trim (piano black) plus the addition of white and gray exterior colors and the dropping of silver and blue. So, first off, if you're looking at a silver or blue car, it was made prior to Jan. '08. I'm not sure I would want one that has sat on a lot that long, but that's just me. Mechanically, they are identical. PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!!
  • tripiiiextripiiiex Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot. I am getting a nice offer from the dealer. Although, the value on my '05 Xterra is terrible on the trade. O'well, it will be even worse next year. Thank you for the update. I am looking at the gray or red color. I have to drive it one more time and will most likely do it. Thanks indydriver.
    Go for it. It will literally change your life, especially getting out of an Xterra.
    How are you guys liking the car in comparison to others that you were or are driving?

After one year and 18,700 miles behind the wheel of my MS3 I am about 95% certain that I am going to sell it in favor of either an E36 or E46 M3(preferably fitted with the Competition Package). Prior to the MS3 I had never owned a FWD car; I bought it because thought it would be fun to try something different. Well, in my situation, different was definitely not better. I've grown sick and tired of the torque steer, wheel hop, and inconsistent power delivery. I'm going to give the sled one last chance on a road course in a few weeks, but I don't expect my opinion to change much- if at all. To be fair, the car has been absolutely trouble free, and my selling/servicing dealer(Kings Mazda, Cincinnati) has been great. The car just isn't a good fit for me.

Yeah, if you're a RWD sports car fan, you'll really never be happy with FWD. I'm coming out of a series of large four door FWD sedans with 230-250 hp and AT. I'm used to FWD and the MS3 is so much lighter, quicker steering and faster that it's pretty thrilling to drive to me. It would be better RWD though. I find the torque steer kind of fun actually. I haven't experienced any wheel hop yet--is that from dropping the clutch on wet pavement? But, I've got a cp-e rear mm sitting in the garage (which reportedly solves it). Glad to hear its been trouble-free.

Hey before you hit the track, be sure to watch the Nurburgring videos on U-Tube. I figure when I develop the talent (never) to drive the MS3 like that, then I'll complain about its shortcomings.
    I haven't experienced any wheel hop yet--is that from dropping the clutch on wet pavement?

Nope, just accelerating on wet pavement- at anything more than @1/2 throttle. And it happens in the first three gears. It sounds like someone is hitting the firewall with a ten pound sledgehammer.

Hey before you hit the track, be sure to watch the Nurburgring videos on U-Tube. I figure when I develop the talent (never) to drive the MS3 like that, then I'll complain about its shortcomings.

That was actually kind of a secondary reason for buying it. I instruct at a few BMW CCA driving schools every year, and I thought that accumulating a significant amount of seat time in a FWD car would help me assist students who drive FWD cars. I guess I've learned about all I can stand... :P

Have you investigated the aftermarket rear motor mounts? They are claimed to eliminate wheel hop. Many of the early ones had polyurethane bushings which are stiff and transmit a lot of vibration through the shifter. cp-e introduced one recently that has an EPDM (rubber) bushing in a massive (and beautiful) CNC machined, billet aluminum body. Users are proclaiming it the best yet in terms of minimal vibration and elimination of wheel hop. The raves were so good, I bought one before I got my car! I haven't installed it yet, I'm waiting for the first oil change to get under the car. If wheel hop is spoiling your enjoyment of the car, I would highly recommend checking out aftermarket rear motor mounts.
    Hey -
    Just curious if anyone on here had owned an Integra GS-R in the past? I owned a 98 and it was the best, most fun car I have owned to date. I miss that thing! Anywho, if you have, how does the MS3 compare?
    I own a TSX now (auto) which is quite nice and I like it alot, it just doesn't have the "soul" the GS-R did. I was looking at the MS3 when I got the TSX, but didn't like any of the colors... now they have my favorite - white!
    Love reading this board, keep up the posts. Oh, and if you have another forum to talk about MS3 please let me know... my profile should have my contact info in it. :)
    No GS-R experience here but interesting that you are comparing the MS3 to the TSX. I loved the original one and nearly bought it. The car was (is) so good, it can get away with only 200 hp. I had signed up on the Acura site for updates on the new one thinking for sure they would drop the turbo'd 250hp+ motor in there. I was really disappointed to find out it was heavier, had no more power and an ugly snout to boot. Anyway, I got an indepth survey from a third party firm representing Acura as to why I didn't buy one. And, I let them know in no uncertain terms. I think Acura will be puzzled to find that their potential customers are going downmarket to get more car for $5,000 less. I only test drove the original TSX so I don't have a lot of time in them but I remember it fondly. The MS3 has a little sharper steering and much grippier tires so its limits are higher than TSX. Its easy to induce torque-steer, but its kinda fun and not really a nuisance to me. Of course the greater acceleration is always fun and useful. I think you'd really enjoy the MS3 if you are looking for much higher performance levels and can tolerate a stiffer suspension and a little less overall refinement.
    The reason I compared the two was because of past experiences with prior products in each line (GS-R and 2 Protege5's). I loved both cars. I am more set on handling with some comfort than on pure luxury or pure sport (ie: STI) and liked the balance of these in each of the two cars. Yes, the TSX dips a bit more on the luxury side than the MS3, but it's sporty enough to keep me happy. (I love the seats and it corners great for a four door sedan.) It's quieter than the P5 for sure, but by no means quiet like other luxury cars.
    I do not like the new TSX at all. This was cemented when I saw in person this weekend... All I can say is "ICK". Where did all of the Honda/Acura designers go from the 80's and early 90's??? Now all of the designs look so contrived. I loved the 80's/90's Preludes, the 93 Civic Coupe is the best of any that they've had (imho), and the CRX... ahh... Although Honda seems to have come back a bit with the new Accord Coupe. (I like the styling alot but don't think I would ever get one myself.)
    I'm only 15 months into a 36 month lease, so not sure I want to take the hit to get out of it... at the same time I'm not sure what the future of the MS3 is... Hopefully they'll continue making them in the new body style (??).
    Mazda is making '09 MS3s now. How long they will make them is uncertain. At some point they will stop to convert the production line to the new 2010 3 model and that will be the end of the Speed 3. Press rumors are mentioning a new Miata-speed and perhaps a 2 speed when they bring that car to the states. So, if you want a Speed 3, you're going to have to get one of the '09s before they disappear.
    Hey, thanks indydriver, I didn't know that they were going to make 09 MS3's! Knowing that I can wait until next spring and get out of my lease just a year early... depreciation is tracking pretty good, so I will probably (hopefully) "breakeven" next year!
    So, is the 09 the same as the 08.5 that you know of?
    AVI-can help here since he works at a dealer. I believe the 08.5 is exactly the same as the 09's, except: A dealer told me Mazda was discontinuing black mica so that 09 colors would be white, gray and red, but I haven't confirmed this. One caution: Just because there is an "09" model doesn't mean they're going to be producing them or that they'll be available all next year. Since they are planning for the model changeover to the 2010, they could complete production of the '09 Speed late this year or early next year. This is just speculation on my part but my point is, don't wait too long or they will be gone.
    Lemme see if I can help you here. Mazda is producing the 2009 Mazdaspeed3 as we speak. Expect them to arrive on dealer lots in early fall (September-October). They are identical to the 2008.5's. Colors are Black Mica, Metropolitan Gray, True Red and Crystal White Pearl.

Good Luck!
    Well thanks to both of you for the information... Maybe I'll take a look at the end of December or January :-)
    Have a great 4th everyone!
  • sudiesudie Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying this model and am wondering how it will handle in snow - any thoughts? Still debating manual or aut. Also, would 16" tires handle better in winter driving conditions?
    Thanks.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    You're in the Mazdaspeed3 not the Mazda3 forum.

But to answer your questions, with snow tires you should have no problem. Many drivers choose tires for the snow that are downsized from regular summer tires (e.g. go from 17" summer tires to 16" winter tires). I run on 16" in the summer and 15" in the winter.
    And the reason for this is, psi of weight or downforce on the tire contact patch. So, if the car's weight remains the same and you do a -1 or -2 winter wheel/tire application, you will have more weight per square inch pressing the biting surface of the tire into the snow or ice.
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    Got my new MS3 Sport for 21950 including destination charge which is invoice price. Options were wheel locks, all-weather mats and auto-dimming mirror.

Some features are a downgrade from my previous 3 5dr GT like the HID's, LED tails, Bose and my moonroof. I'll convert to HID's in about 2 months, the LED tails, I like the aftermarket ones and they're cheaper, the stock speakers are fine for my tastes. I'm really missing the moonroof though. But I'll just drive somewhat aggressive and I'll forget the lack of moonroof. ;)
    I'm really missing the moonroof though. But I'll just drive somewhat aggressive and I'll forget the lack of moonroof.

The lack of a moonroof was a selling point for me. I don't want an extra 60-70 pounds added in the worst possible place. As racer TC Kline puts it, "It's like bolting your battery to the roof.

• peddler3peddler3 Member Posts: 10
    Does the O9 MS3 have that same ignition key removal button as the other manual transmission mazda 3's? I find it a bit irritating and outdated? Does anyone have a trick for bypassing it? I don't see whay they need it when every other manufacturer can have a manual trans w/o it.
    Does the O9 MS3 have that same ignition key removal button as the other manual transmission mazda 3's? I find it a bit irritating and outdated? Does anyone have a trick for bypassing it? I don't see whay they need it when every other manufacturer can have a manual trans w/o it.

It is a pain, but you get used to it. I'd also like to ashcan the ignition/clutch interlock.

• noochnooch Member Posts: 3
    Here here, with a new salesperson (saleswoman no less) I felt like a dope flapping around trying to turn the key for 20 seconds or so while we mutually learned the car's nuances.

Haha, come to think of it she even left the car's hood unlatched (hook still engaged though) so when I "tested the acceleration" onto the interstate i got a little nervous when i noticed the hood vibrating.

Oh well, I'm hoping to nail down the specific vehicle this week and negotiate down well off invoice for a 2008.5 since I read the 2009s are coming out soon.

To the original complaint... the little button click (as will most funky new features) actually becomes mechanical after a few months of ownership.
    Good luck with your purchase negotiations. I bought my 2008.5 in June at $300 below invoice. The factory began making '09's in June so they should be arriving at dealers this month. I've only had my car for two months and I don't even notice the key release button anymore. BTW, it doesn't involve the starting procedure, only key removal.
This discussion has been closed.