Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008.5 MAZDASPEED 3

2»

Comments

• indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Unfortunately, I've got a CEL already. I will be going into the dealer later today to get it diagnosed. Yes, its got a full tank. Yes, the gas cap is on tight. The service advisor said a solid light probably indicates a sensor problem. Apparently, a flashing light is more urgent as it indicates a driveability issue and should not be driven. My light is solid and it drives just fine.
  • noochnooch Member Posts: 3
    BTW, it doesn't involve the starting procedure, only key removal.

Oh yea, I was talking about the clutch startup lock.

Also, this is the only forum that mentions the 2009 speed 3 being a definite go, are there any published sources?
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Plenty. They made a batch of '09s in June which should be arriving at dealerships now.
  • noochnooch Member Posts: 3
    I was hoping for link to an article or something of that nature :)
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Are on dealer lots... at least in MN. Same as 2008.5's.
  • m_thrizzlem_thrizzle Member Posts: 6
    I want to hear more on what people have been paying for MS3's lately! Unfortunately they are not included in the financing incentives Mazda has for all its other cars.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I've heard of some good deals on some of the other Mazda forums. I know ou can now get an MS3 on S Plan(a friends/family plan similar to Ford's X Plan).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cheeseplzcheeseplz Member Posts: 5
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never leased a vehicle so I wasn't sure if thats considered an "incentive". If they do lease them, does anyone have any ideas what they would run per month? Any estimate numbers wise would do. Thanks.
    Mazda hasn't advertised an attractive MS3 lease. You can almost certainly lease one, but it won't be a very good deal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• orca3orca3 Member Posts: 11
    Bought my '09,true red speed3 last Oct.- $23460.00 - traded my '07 mazda3 touring(17,000 miles) - price after trade $19,000.00 - bonus is that here in NH we have
    NO sales tax! Was this a good deal ? I was happy - took me over an hour to
    negotiate - thought I did well.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    $23460.00 - traded my '07 mazda3 touring(17,000 miles) - price after trade $19,000

So you supposedly got only $4460 for the '07 Mazda? This has to be a joke.

Was this a good deal ? I'd have to say, if true, it was a fantastic deal...for the dealership.
    I owed $12,000.00 on the '07 which dealership paid off - 12,000 plus 4460.00
    so total came out to $16,460.00 against the speed3.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
  • markmazda3markmazda3 Member Posts: 2
    Mazda just announced a $2500 rebate on all remaining '08 speed3's. The rebate only runs through Tuesday, Mar. 31, afterwhich it will expire because the start of Mazda Corporate's 2009 Fiscal year is April 1.

You should be able to land a Sport in the ~19,500 range, and GT's from ~21,000.
    Thanks for the info, where did you find it? Does this include 2008.5 models as well as early 08 production cars?
  • hakkyhakky Member Posts: 8
    The $2500 rebate is listed on the mazda website.

After 6 months of wrestling with this decision, I pulled the trigger today on an 08 Mazdaspeed 3 GT in Black Mica. It was the last non-red 08 GT within 100 miles of me. MSRP 24,805, I paid 20199 which includes title and doc fee (no tax as I'm in NH). Also they gave me 2k for my 98 A4 with 169k miles on it. I financed the entire balance, 18199. Got it at Tulley in Nashua, they were fantastic to work with and I got that price with little haggling.

Had an internet offer of 22,100 (from a nearby, high-volume dealer) on the same car but 2009 version. I decided to take the rebate money and go with the 08.
    Sounds like you got a good deal. I almost pulled the trigger on an 08 GT today, but the dealer wouldn't go below $23.9k ($21.4k after rebate) + taxes and fees. That was the only 08 GT in the area left. I got an internet quote of $23k for an '09 so it was really only $1600 savings for the 08. I ultimately decided that if I can find a used MS3 for $18k, that is a lot of money savings and I can buy an extended warranty and have peace of mind anyways. Or who knows, if I wait long enough maybe I can score a good deal on a new 09.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Oh no... there's an '08 Speed3 sport still on the lot in my area. Crystal white pearl, whatever they call that color, I just love it! I am so tempted to try and talk my wife into it... it's more practical for the family than my sedan after all :D ... With that rebate, it's the deal of the decade, and I'm not real crazy about the new looks for 2010. SO tempting... And the Sport trim level has a few extra doodads compared to my 3i touring - leather wrapped steering wheel, auto climate control, electroluminescent gauges... Someone talk me out of it, quick. Remind me that I'm getting 31.5 mpg, and only have 18 payments left, and gas prices are going up (and probably food prices with it), and if I ever do trade up it should be for a Mazda6 with a bigger back seat. But that color just does it for me. Damn you, practicality and frugality and adulthood!
  • tmorr42tmorr42 Member Posts: 10
    Went to Mazda last night to look (not drive) @ a 2008 (new) Speed3 in the showroom. MSRP $25315. They said incentives were still on it and they got down to $21000 without filling out a single piece of paper or taking it for a test drive. The TMV was $19800 but that doesn’t specify options. If they’re willing to come down like that w/o so much as a test drive do ya think I can get $6000 off sticker or am I wacked??
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Give it a shot,maybe $5500.00 What's the invoice? I'm looking at a Speed 3 starting at $23,410. It's beside the post I'm writing . A nice looking red. :shades:
  • rockymtnhirockymtnhi Member Posts: 19
    Does Tully sell Mercedes too?
  • gluzgluz Member Posts: 10
    Guys, I have driven fast cars in the past but this thing is scary fast.
    Last time I was this scared to drive something was my friends 1985 300Z with twin turbos.

I might be getting too old( I am only 34) but this thing is too fast for me.

I think somewhere around 200 horses would have been much better for this car, it would feel more manageable.

I am sure a lot of people would disagree with me but this is what I feel after driving this thing. For folks that are crazy about speed and sheer power, this thing is an insane deal and totally worth it.

I am still debating the idea of getting left over 2008 but might have to choose WRX.
    I might be getting too old( I am only 34) but this thing is too fast for me

Well, I'm 52 and I want something faster. I'm fitting a Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake(+24 hp) to my 2007 MS3 along with Hawk HP+ front pads and Dunlop Direzza Star Spec rubber. If those tweaks don't keep me near the front of the pack at this summer's HPDEs I'll start looking for something with more grunt...

• dentchdentch Member Posts: 4
    Q.: Does anyone know about a recall for a power steering problem with this MAZDA model?
    I am apologize for my detail msg but I am medical scientist and have limited knowledge of mechanic.
    Briefly, I have this car since june 2008, bought it as a new and so far made 6.8K. I did not have any, repeat any problem until now.
    - visit service dealer for oil change, tire rotation and annual inspection a week ago.
    I took the car and after 3 hrs driving in unusual hot April day in my attempt to park the wheel became a stiff and the indicator for "power steering" light up. I followed the manual instruction but in my first try the wheel was still "stiff". After 5-10 min I tried again and power steering was restore but I was scared to drive.
    Now my car is for a fourth day in dealer service and they claim it is a manufacture defect.? I could not find any information about this and I am losing a confidence in the service competency. I would like to thank in advance for any advise and suggestions.
    Q.: Does anyone know about a recall for a power steering problem with this MAZDA model?
    I am apologize for my detail msg but I am medical scientist and have limited knowledge of mechanic.
    Briefly, I have this car since june 2008, bought it as a new and so far made 6.8K. I did not have any, repeat any problem until now.
    - visit service dealer for oil change, tire rotation and annual inspection a week ago.
    I took the car and after 3 hrs driving in unusual hot April day in my attempt to park the wheel became a stiff and the indicator for "power steering" light up. I followed the manual instruction but in my first try the wheel was still "stiff". After 5-10 min I tried again and power steering was restore but I was scared to drive.
    Now my car is for a fourth day in dealer service and they claim it is a manufacture defect.? I could not find any information about this and I am losing a confidence in the service competency. I would like to thank in advance for any advise and suggestions.
    I haven't heard of any chronic problems with the power steering on that model. It simply sounds like a bad pump. If the pump becomes too hot the problem that you described can occur.Once it's replaced you should be fine.

Thank you for your time reading my painful story with the car we love it.
    It is puzzling me that no complains regarding this problem.
    Is it possible that something went wrong during a tire rotation those reflect the occurrence of this problem?
    It may be the type of problem that is called an "infant mortality"- meaning it is a failure that occurs early in the life of a component. I doubt that it's a common or chronic problem based on the lack of internet chatter. Once your problem is fixed I wouldn't worry about it; my wife had a power steering rack fail on a new BMW with less than 500 miles on the odometer. The dealer replaced it and the car was problem free from that point on. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

My son takes my Mazdaspeed3 to the dealer for maintenance and he told me
    that the Mazda3 & the Mazdaspeed3 take different SAE oils and that many dealerships mistakenly do not put the correct oil in Mazdaspeed3's. Anyone
    else know anything about this - he said he heard of other Mazdaspeed3
    owners having problems because of this mistake(on another Mazdaspeed3
    forum) - also I just had a CPE cold air intake and an upgrade motor mount
    put on(non dealer) can my dealership legally void my warranty for this.
    I know there is a Magnuson-Moss act that protects owners as long as the part did not cause a mechanical problem. Dealership told me I would have to put on
    their brand(at twice the money) to avoid this.CPE is high grade(over $300.00)
    and the choice of many serious forum members also my mpg have gone up
    by 2-3. ??????
    My son takes my Mazdaspeed3 to the dealer for maintenance and he told me
    that the Mazda3 & the Mazdaspeed3 take different SAE oils and that many dealerships mistakenly do not put the correct oil in Mazdaspeed3's. Anyone
    else know anything about this - he said he heard of other Mazdaspeed3
    owners having problems because of this mistake(on another Mazdaspeed3
    forum)

Unlike the Mazda3, the Mazdaspeed 3 uses 5W-30 oil. I seriously doubt-and no one has been able to establish-that using 5W-20 in everyday driving will hurt the engine.

also I just had a CPE cold air intake and an upgrade motor mount
    put on(non dealer) can my dealership legally void my warranty for this.
    I know there is a Magnuson-Moss act that protects owners as long as the part did not cause a mechanical problem.

It all depends on the dealer; some don't even like the Mazdaspeed CAI.

Is your dealer wrong? Yes.

Would you win in court? Probably

Would it take months or years to reach a final resolution of the case? More likely than not.

If I decide to keep my Mazdaspeed I'm fitting the Mazdaspeed CAI. No CAI has been shown to be markedly superior to any other. Anyway, I already have it, it's good for 24 hp, it only cost $315, and my dealer won't give any grief over it.

• poconsumerpoconsumer Member Posts: 1
    Hi Dentch!
    I too have had this problem. As a matter of fact just today I was leaving the grocery store and while in reverse my steering wheel went stiff. The Steering wheel light lit up on the dash and I could not move it at all. I parked in the space i was in turned the car off and called my local Mazda dealership. i over heard one the service people tell the other this was a common defect affecting this model and yr. Tried to have it budge a few more times and still nothing. So I called Roadside assistance. I walked around to burn some fumes and attempted one last time( 30 min later) and the light had gone off. I was able to cancel the wrecker service and drove off. But Mazda wants me to take it in b/c the error code is embedded into the computer. So yes! It is a defect; has to be.
  • gavinsmommie24gavinsmommie24 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently having the same problem with my car, the dealer I am dealing with is GREAT they are paying for a rental for me and everything. It must be a defect because when this happened they said it did pull a code and I am getting new pump and line's. Hopefully this is the only problem I have because I have owned this care and already put 20K on so only 16K left on my warranty.
  • virwillvirwill Member Posts: 3
    All: The power steering light on my '08 2.0 came on twice in the past six months -- once in my driveway and once while cruising out of DC during rush hour. Kinda hairy. Anyway, the light went away and the steering returned when, stopped, I turned off the car and turned it back on -- sorta like rebooting a computer, I guess. But the second occurrence prompted a visit to the dealer, Gaithersburg Mazda in MD. I was told this was a safety issue and that they would be replacing my power steering pump and the whole shebang -- would have cost more than $900 if I'd had to pay. Fortunately, I was still under the warranty (I've put 33,000 miles on it in 17 months), so I didn't have to pay. They kept it overnight and gave me a loaner. (This dealer has exceptional service, I might add.) The service manager told me that "this is the problem that we've had with the Mazda3s" -- so I imagine they've done it more than once. He didn't say anything about a recall, so I guess I would have been up the creek if I had been over the limit.
  • 08speed308speed3 Member Posts: 2
    I agree its a great car, and for the money your running with higher sticker cars in looks and preformance... I have an 08' without the leather inserts but most everything else... and its def. worth the msrp. I changed intake and exhaust and run with STI's all day, cant do that with anyother mid 20k cars...
  • paj22paj22 Member Posts: 3
    I just had this happen to me this past w/e. The power steering pump blew. I was out of state, it was 98 degrees, sitting in the car with the dog waiting for my passenger to return and the steering light comes on. No warning other than that. I put the car in reverse to get out of the parking lot in the strip center and it locked while trying to get onto the street. Here I am stuck now. And there I sat for 5 hours waiting for the Mazda Emergency (under warranty) Tow Service come to pick up the car. After an awful day waiting for a tow truck, the Mazda dealer out of state quickly fixed my car and I was able to return home the following late afternoon. They claim to have had a pump available for one of their own customers and used it in my car to get me back home. No charge other than awful towing services that lie to you. Mazda needs to try to find a better way to deal with that service. I am annoyed though that i was told they were having problems with the pumps and yet no recalls took place, nor did my dealer contact or let me know about it when the car was in for servcing less than 3 mos prior. :sick: This experience has left me feeling most uncomfortable. PAJ22
    This experience has left me feeling most uncomfortable. PAJ22

Is your car a Mazdaspeed 3?
    How many miles on it?

• paj22paj22 Member Posts: 3
    My Mazda is a 2008 Mazda 3 grand touring hatchback which had 14,330 miles on it last w/e when this happened.

Paj22
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    For the non-MazdaSpeed3 cars, the Power Steering pump is a known issue that is affecting the vast majority of 2008.5 cars and a supply of new pumps has just recently reached the distribution chain. It is unknown at this point whether the issue will surface on the 2009s, however, my 2009 Mazda3 recently crossed the 18,000 mile threshold and has yet to have a problem.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    My Mazda is a 2008 Mazda 3 grand touring...

Since your car is not a Mazdaspeed 3 it would be much more helpful for you to post that information in the "Mazda 3 Maintenance and Repair" topic.

Q.: Does anyone know about a recall for a problem with dash board indicator"Check Engine Light" of this MAZDA3 2008 5spd manual model?
    I am apologize for my detail message but I am scientist and have limited knowledge of mechanic.
    Briefly, I have this car since June 2008, bought it as a new and so far made 15.4K. I did not have any problem until now.
    I went to take my car from the garage at the end of the day when I finished my work, I start my car, all indicators light up as normal and in a few seconds they went off but the indicator for "Check Engine Light" continued light up. I followed the manual instruction and checked all suggestions. After 5 min I tried again the indicator for "Check Engine Light" continued light up. I drove very slowly on my way to go home. Will check with the dealer tomorrow but will appreciate your opinion/suggestions what went wrong. Also skeptical to my dealer experts.
    Thank you.
    It could be something as simple as a loose fuel filler cap. If you live near a Autozone store they can read the code and tell you what is wrong- for free...

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    edited June 2010
    You have a warranty, just take it to the dealer. As long is the light is not flashing, it should be okay to drive.

While Autozone and others can read the code and this may tell you the problem it is detecting but not necessarily what the underlying cause of the problem is.

You may want to make sure the gas cap is tight, turn it until it clicks several times. But I thought most cars had gone to separate light for loose gas cap and no longer use the CEL for that?
    You may want to make sure the gas cap is tight, turn it until it clicks several times. But I thought most cars had gone to separate light for loose gas cap and no longer use the CEL for that?

Nope, my 2007 threw an "Evap Leak" code CEL due to a loose fuel cap about a month ago...

This discussion has been closed.