Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• 4runner064runner06 Member Posts: 2
    I bought it in CA...for Octane I was planning on using 91...I'm going to add my security system so I will find out the recommended octane.

Options:

All Standard Options for the Sport Edition---LOVE THE POWER SEATS!...finally standard on both sides

--also added the Valor Exhaust Tip...Auto Dimming mirror/compass...

--in dash six-disc cd changer....wish it had the 10 speakers..but...i like the mirrors in the rear once again very handy....

--homelink--

--115V AC Power outlet
  • stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    What kind of pricing from MSRP or invoice did you get?

Did you buy or lease ?

I'm kicking around getting an 05 or 06.

Thanks
  • c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    Toyota Motor Co..... is recalling 978,000 sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks amid concerns over the power steering system. The affected vehicles include 4Runner SUVs, compact pickups and T-100 pickups built between 1989 and 1998.

Toyota said a rod linking the steering wheel and the wheels may fracture under conditions where the steering wheel is turned while the vehicle is stopped. Owners will be notified beginning in mid-September, the company said.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can read the full story here.

tidester, host
  • messiasgmessiasg Member Posts: 3
    Hi jaredmsd,

Thank you for the information. I have a 2003 V6 4 Runner. So what your saying is that the V6 does not need the timing belt changed because it has a timing chain?

My manual doesnt state anything about changing the timing belt, but when i called the dealer they said it needs changing at 60k to 90k. It would be great not to change it but it would be great to know it it does.

thank you,
    :D
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    Does the 06 owner's manual tell you what the recommended octane is? I am just wondering what is the reason for ten less horsepower from the 05 to 06, not that 10HP is a big deal.

Thanks
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    Is the hookup in the center console cool? Can it handle any handheld MP3 Player??
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    99% sure it has a timing chain, which does not need to be replaced.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    The new HP ratings are different because the new measurement standard includes a requirement that necessary accessories must be attached (ie alternator, power steering, etc). Larger vehicles with more taxing accessories will see a hit in HP RATINGS, but the actual vehicle performance is unchanged. Some models/manufacturers under-rate or round their ratings to avoid competition (HP wars)--those will stay the same or possible increase.
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    How does the AUX audio plug in work?
  • burner7burner7 Member Posts: 17
    Hi all. I'm looking to buy a 2006 4runner. Toyota's website is abysmal; it does not allow me to build my own vehicle to price it (maybe it's just my computer)...I have three main questions regarding the 4runner.

1. How are the mileage ratings for the V6 and V8?
    2. Is it possible to get leather seating in either the Sport or SR5 editions?
    3. How is the acceleration for the V6?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out with these questions.
    I believe the MPG for the 6 cylinder 4WD is 17 city and 21 highway and the V8 is 16 city and 19 highway. As far as I know the leather seats for the non-limited models are after market only, not from the factory.
    I drove both the V6 and the V8, the 6 cylinder engine is very nice, the accelaration is strong. If I have to take a guess, its around 0-60 in about 8 seconds or a bit less. The V8's accelaration is a bit better but not much, off the line, the V8 perform better than the V6 because of the torque. I believe the best 0-60 number for the V8 was tested at 7.2 seconds to 7.4 seconds. The V8 is quieter, which is to be expected, but the V6 will give you more than enough highway speed passing power for everyday driving.

Good Luck
  • rocknrollrocknroll Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide which way to go. I'm considering either the 4runner 4x4 offroad sport v8 or the pathfinder se 4x4 offroad. Besides the v6 vs.v8 power being close to the same, What are the pros and cons of each will i like one more than the other? Please help.
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I've owned 01 pathfinder 250hp (5spd, sunroof) and currently own 05 4runner v8 sport. The pathfinder was an excellent vehicle, great reliability, decent ride. The 05 4runner has a much better ride and feels like a better build vehicle. Ex: the doors on 4runner are nice and heavy-- the doors close very easily. 4runner has an electronic rear gate lock--excellent feature. I know the new pathfinder is bigger and more HP, but the new 4runner v8 is a full time 4wd. Toyota has a better resale. Ex: MY $30K pathfinder was sold 4 years later for $15K w/ 49K miles. My old '94 toyota pick up-- $8K new, sold for $4000 6 years later and 150K miles. Bottom like, I would go w/4runner.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Examine and drive them all. I think you will be convinced that the Toyota 4Runner 4WD Sport V8 is the clear choice.
    I think it depends on what you're going to use the vehicle for. If, on the off chance, you are actually going to use it for off-roading, you may NOT want the sport, which frankly doesn't have anything to do with offroading.

The XREAS will actually reduce articulation offroad and, if you ever decide you want to install a lift, you'll just end up removing the XREAS anyway. You may be able to sell the XREAS, though, so this might not be that big of a negative. The hood scoop will reduce your visibility, meaning you'll need a more frequent spotter.

The V6 in the Toyota and the Pathfinder are pretty comparable, so you might consider the V6 4Runner if you were willing to go with the 6 in the Pathfinder and you aren't going to be pulling anything over 3-4000 lbs.
  • oaktons11oaktons11 Member Posts: 7
    Before I go to a dealer and have to deal with a salesperson, let me ask here. Does the backseat on the 2006 fold down flat? In the pictures I have seen, it looks like the back of the seat folds down, but is higher than the cargo area. That would make it very difficult to slide big items into the back if you need all of the space.

thanks
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I'm sure it's exactly like all 2003-2005 models. Pull up the rear seats and lay flat the rear seat backs. Easy and flat as a pancake.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Just to add to what "friday" said, I'm actually getting better MPG on my '05 V6 4R SR5 4X4 than the sticker indicates I should be getting. I use only 87 octane.

I've taken mine on two trips (one was 700+ miles, the other was 350 miles). On both trips, I got 22 MPG-24 MPG using cruise control......70 MPH-75 MPH.

In all city driving, I'm getting 18-19 MPG. It's not great MPG, but certianly better than I expected.

To me, the V6 has more than enough power. But, I don't tow anything either (which would be the only reason I could see to get a V8).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    I have the same model as graphicguy and my mileage numbers are similar. I think they are very acceptable highway numbers, afterall this is not a small vehicle. As for the V-6 vs V-8, unless you are going to tow heavy items, the 6 is fine. It has plenty of pick up for my taste. I believe the difference in HP ratings between the 6 and 8 is minimal, just the torque where the V-8 is better.

As for the rear seats, they do fold flat. Doing lots of home improvements lately and have had everything from an antique dresser to bales of pine straw in the back with no problems.
  • nrg224nrg224 Member Posts: 1
    OK....never done this before, but you seem to be a pretty well informed group....so.....I've be obsessing about buying a 4-runner for FAR TOO LONG, and I need to make a decision. Herein lies my dilemma. I have kids.....so I want the third row seat.....I KNOW that it's small, but so are my kids, and when they want to bring friends.....we need the space (scouts/camping/soccer and the like). The inventory now, is not such that I can get the color I want.......but I MIGHT find "something" with a third row. Well, this is a big deal for me, and I don't want to "settle" for something I won't be thrilled with. NOW, just to complicate things.........I've run across the opportunity to get something that is technically, out of my reach, or so I thought. A dealer near me has a 2004 Land Cruiser, that hasn't been titled, but is a demo. I know that gas is an issue, I do commute alot, but also will keep this FOREVER. So, he said right of the top, he'd take $10,000 off and negotiate more. Is this something that I should even think about. Would sitting on a lot for 2 years be cause for concern????? Dry rot and the like?? I had been looking at the LTD 4-runner, so this would be approx. $10,000 more. What do you think?? Opportunity knocking or do I run??????
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    with a third row. Take your kids. Try to put one of them in the third row and strap them in.

I suspect that may cure you of your desire for the 4Runner.

Whatever you decide to get, I strongly suggest that you run the numbers on what your fuel cost will be. I'm getting about 18 mpg on my V8 4Runner, but I do mostly highway miles. Stop and go will dramatically reduce mileage. At 15,000 miles per year and $3.00 per gallon, that's $2500 per year. If the LandCruiser got 15 mpg, that would cost $3000 per year.

Do you really need an off-road capable vehicle? If you do, great, keep looking at SUVs. If not, then a minivan would be much cheaper, get better mileage, have a lot more room, and be easier for the kids to get in and out (lower step in height and easier third row access). If you are worried about performance in snow, just get a good set of snow tires.

Personally, I need the offroad capability of my 4Runner for hunting and fishing. But I think most people who buy SUVs would be better off with a station wagon or minivan.

As far as the used Land Cruiser, consider it a used car and price it accordingly. Only $10,000 off sounds expensive to me at first blush.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I own a 2003 4Runner LTD, and I don't have the 3rd-row seat, nor do I have any kids. That said, I too don't think you'll be happy with how little room there is back there with the 4Runner's 3rd-row seatbench, especially as your kids continue to grow. In addition, you may quickly grow tired of the restricted avenues of access you'll have to the 4Runner's 3rd-row seat. This means that every time you load or unload any kids from that 3rd-row seat, it may quickly prove to be be a tiresome and frustrating chore. Likewise, if you would ever have to QUICKLY remove kids from back in that 3rd-row seat during an emergency, you'll have your work cut out for you.

The new 4Runners are truly magnificent mid-sized SUVs, but in my opinion they simply don't have enough interior space to easily and safely accomodate two adults along with several growing kids and their friends, not to mention cargo, pets, mother-in-laws, etc. Rather, the 4Runner is perhaps better thought of as more of a "personal" SUV.

If you want to invest in the legendary reliability and engineering of a Toyota; and, if you have your heart set on an SUV rather than a minivan (very understandable), my suggestion would be to consider either the Sequoia (a truck-based SUV) or perhaps the Highlander (which is based on a stretched and modified car frame). However, neither of these SUVs will be quite as convenient and functional with kids as a Sienna minivan.

If you're lusting after the 2004 Land Cruiser demo, and you're fully prepared to pay the price of the demo, you might do better buying a new (or newer) Sequoia. If you decide to go for the Land Cruiser demo, I would walk away from the deal if it doesn't include a full "as new" factory warranty, as well as an option to buy Toyota's Platinum, 100,000 mile extended warranty. (I'm a believer in extended warranties if we plan to keep the vehicle for a long time.)

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge about the 4runner to me! I'm liking the truck more and more.

One thing I was curious about was on how the Limited models, the X-REAS (I think that's what it's called?) is optional. Everyone writes glowing reviews about it, saying how it improves the suspension vastly, helps with turning, body roll, etc. If it's so good, then why is it only an option on the Limited, and not standard as in the Sport edition?

Does anyone own a 4runner without the X-REAS? I have yet to test-drive a 4runner , I've only sat in one. Based on what I've read, it seems the X-REAS is a must for city driving, which is where I'll be doing most of my driving anyways. Any thoughts on this? Are there pros and cons to having the X-REAS?

Thanks in advance to anyone with any information.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have an '05 Sport Edition with the X-REAS suspension. What it does is interlink the shock absorbers through a hydraulic line to the opposite corner. (Right front shock to left rear, etc.) The reservoir pumps fluid to the shock the needs it in order to keep the vehicle "more flat" through curves. Is this a must have? Not really! Does it make the SUV handle better and fun to drive? Yes! However, if you are not a "demanding driver" the base suspension in the "SR-5" is fine.

Good luck and let us know!
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I have the XREAS on my 03 Sport. I use my 4-Runner for a lot of hauling. My previous 3 4-Runners would lean heavily in the rear, especially for a heavy load. With the 03, I can put a heavy load in the rear, and the truck stays pretty much flat.
    I test drove the sports edition with the X-REAS and the limited without it 2 weeks ago. During normal city driving, I did not notice any difference in handling. When the road got bumpy, the X-REAS was a bit more of a stiff ride than the limited. On the highway was where the X-REAS out perform the limited. It kept the 4Runner flat during high speed lane changes, the limited had some body lean but not that bad at all. Frankly, after all the glowing reviews I have read, I was a bit disppointed. On the plus side, the X-REAS system does use higher quality shocks which should last longer than the standard shocks.

My advice is to test drive them both and make the call yourself.

Good Luck
  • tnagletnagle Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are looking at an 2005 SR5 V6 4Runner which we will keep (knock on wood) for a minimum of 10 years.

We plan to put our kid (kids?) in the 3rd row only when we have a carful of adults, none of whom are game enough to fold themselves up in the back. If we had to have them in the back all of the time, I don't think we would go this route and would opt for the minivan instead.

V8 vs. V6. We might tow a small sailboat from time-to-time, probably not enough to merit the V8. Besides, aren't the V8 engines a fairly new thing? Seems like I just started seeing them this year...are we to believe (as the Toyota rep was trying to convince me) that the V6 doesn't provide enough power for towing or "serious" offroading?

(Side note: The dealer did not have any V6 4Runners on his lot. He also didn't have any Highlanders other than the 4x2 and was kind enough to let us know that they weren't real offroad vehicles anyway and we would be better off without the 4WD. I loved all this...if he hadn't had any 4x2s, I am sure the 4x4s would have been the only thing worth living for. ;) )

We are living in Hawaii right now and one motivation for purchasing the Toyota now rather than waiting until we get back to the mainland in a year or two is that all the Toyotas here are actually manufactured in Japan. I have heard scuttlebutt that the Japanese made Toyotas are even better than the already excellent American made Toyotas. Does anyone have any comments on this notion?

Once we select a vehicle, I am basing my offer on the Consumer Reports New Car Buying kit information. I suspect that the prices here in Hawaii are higher than on the mainland, but don't know for sure. Anyone have any input? Obviously I want the best possible deal, so I need as much info as possible.

Gas was just under $4 / gallon here on Maui last week, thankfully a little lower this week. The Prius and other hybrids are practically jumping off the lots while the SUVs are moving a little slow...thinking this will probably help us get a better deal.

Nice forum, thanks in advance!
    The third row is very small and hard to get into. Take your kid with you to the dealer and see if your kid can actually get into and out of the third row. See whether you can get your kid buckled in as well. How comfortable is it for them? Also look at the room behind the third row seat -- there's not much there.

As for the V8, the basic block has been around for quite a long time, much longer than the V6. They did just add variable valve timing to it, boosting the HP. Toyota has been doing variable valve timing for many years, so I would not worry the fact that it is new on the V8.

The V6 will get a bit better mileage than the V8.

As for towing, you MUST find out how heavy your sailboat and trailer are. What is "small" to you may be "large" to someone else. Find out the weight of sailboat and trailer and compare that with the rated towing capacity of the V6 and V8 4Runner. The V8's towing capacity is much higher, but if you don't need that much...

I thought I had read that the 2006 V6 4Runners don't come with a towing hitch, but I don't have direct knowledge. So check up on that. The V8 does come with a trailer hitch.

All 4Runners are made in Japan, including the ones sold in the mainland US.

As for "serious" offroading, first, are you likely to do any? Second, the V6 is fine for as serious offroading as you are likely to do with a stock 4Runner (ground clearance is not all that great). Sounds like the salesman was just trying to sell you what he had on the lot.

If you don't need to take it offroad and you won't be towing, then you might want to reconsider a minivan -- it will give you much more room and better mileage as well.
    If you're doing offroading, you'll be in low gear. The V6 will have way more power than you'd ever need in this situation. So that is part is definately not a benefit.

If you are going to keep it for ten years, then you may want the fuel savings you'll get with the V6, especially if gasoline keeps going up. It is only in the 10-15% range according to the EPA, but for me driving 15,000 miles a year, that is $300-450/year.

And it looks like Toyota is having trouble selling the V8s lately so they may not hold their resale value as well as the 6.
  • tnagletnagle Member Posts: 2
    Excellent feedback, thank you. Interesting about the V8 and about all 4Runners being made in Japan, I had no idea.

My mention of serious offroading was basically just a jibe at the salesman: he did indeed have a reason why we would not need or want every feature that he did not have in a vehicle on his lot.

We do light offroading: easy trails in Colorado and dirt roads that are just past what would turn back a sedan; I have no desire to get myself hung up in a mess in the back country somewhere...if it's that bad, we hike it.

Don't have the boat yet and won't until we are back on the mainland. We're talking Hobie Cat or some sort of small "trailer sailer".

The towing package is standard on the V8, optional on the V6, fyi.

Even though we only plan to use that 3rd row every once in a while, we'll take another look at the minivan. If we really need 4WD that bad, we could always use my 98 Tacoma TRD and fold the child up in the XtraCab...I fit, so will she. ;-)

Heck, all that said, last night my wife took a look at a loaded 2006 Camry XLE and *really* likes it. The 4Runner may end up waiting until my TRD dies or gets too ugly to drive to town, which could be many years, the way it is going (I already have a nice farm retirement planned for it).
    According to the Hobie web site, the 20' Hobie Cat is 420 lbs. Even with a trailer you'd be under 2000 lbs. You could probably tow that with a minivan. 4WD or AWD would be better for a slippery boat ramp, but there are AWD minivans. A 4Runner V6 can tow 5000 lbs -- you wouldn't even notice the Hobie behind you when towing.
    hey guys. I'm on the eve of making my decision. It's between a 2006 Sport Edition and a 2006 Limited, both in Galactic Gray.

The only reason I would get the limited is for the leather and the premium sound system. I don't really care much about the leather, but the stereo is a big deal.

Anyone have a 4runner with the base stereo? Is it worth it to get limited for the comfort of leather and premium sound? Thing is, I just love that hood scoop and the tubular side rails!

Thanks!
    Anyone have a 4runner with the base stereo? Is it worth it to get limited for the comfort of leather and premium sound? Thing is, I just love that hood scoop and the tubular side rails!

The base stereo is a piece of junk! It's only 14 watts or so. What many have done is to buy a Scion radio and switch it out. A question.............If leather is not that important, why not buy a Sport and just upgrade the radio? It can be done for a lot less money. That being said, you can even get after market leather for around $1,500.00 OR SO. IT IS STILL CHEAPER THAN A LIMITED!
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    Other things to consider about the Limited, which is what I have, V8 Limited. Heated seats and outside mirrors, which if you live in a cold climate like I do will be much appreciated. Only the vehicles with leather get the heated seats, cloth is never heated. I have the premium sound system too which I really like. I also have automatic climate controls which is great, I don't think you get that on the V6 Sport but I believe it is optional on that vehicle.
    Why not just get a sport edition with the JBL 10 speaker sound system? It is a option on the sport edition. If you don't want all the added features of a limited, I would say thats the way to go. BTW, the JBL system sounds sweet.
  • husker7husker7 Member Posts: 1
    All Toyota 4Runners are made in Japan. I ordered a 2006 4Runner and it will be made in Japan and delivered to me here in the Great Plains.
    All of the trim levels have automatic climate control. I think that the Limited has a dual-zone climate control, which is unique to that trim.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    In a nutshell, the differences between 2005 vs 2006 are ???????
    Hey all. Just wanted to say that today I drove home my 2006 4Runner Sport, Galactic Gray. It's a V6 with cloth interior.

This truck is GREAT! Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Did I mention this truck is great???? :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats Burner!

Please take a couple of minutes and provide some details about your deal in the Toyota 4Runner: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I purchased my '03 4Runner Limited as new in 9/03 (it currently has 45,000 miles on the odometer) and it is the finest vehicle I've ever owned, with no problems until its moonroof recently began acting up.

The first signs of trouble were intermittant and involved the moonroof not always tilting, opening and closing properly. Until recently, I could fiddle with the switch and eventually get it to function properly for a time, but last Friday it finally gave out and became stuck in the fully open position. (Thankfully, it was not raining at the time, I was on my way home from work, and I own a home with a fully enclosed garage.)

Anyhow, last Saturday I drove my 4Runner to my dealer (it was raining lightly at the time!) and they said that until they could speak with Toyota today, they wouldn't know whether my Toyota Platinum (100,000 mile) extended warranty (~$950.00) would cover the cost of repairing the moonroof. However, the service advisor mentioned that to the best of his recollection, Toyota's standard factory warranty has tended to provide rather poor coverage of moonroof problems, and that the extended warranty would be an open question until they could consult Toyota about this issue.

Well, today I received a call from my dealer (Toyota Direct in New Albany, OH.) and I was informed that my Platinum extended warranty does indeed cover the entire cost of repairing my 4Runner's moonroof. The problem reportedly involved several cables, pulleys, etc., and the necessary parts are now on order.

Now then, on to my real point: Here at this Edmunds.com forum, I've previously recommended purchasing Toyota's Platinum extended warranty, depending on how long one plans to own the vehicle. In response, several forum members have opined that given the legendary reliability of Toyota's vehicles, the Platinum, 100,000 mile, extended warranty is probably unnecessary, particularly if one doesn't plan to own the vehicle beyond the terms of the factory warranty. (My experience here would seem to indicate that the Platinum extended warranty covers potentially costly items not included in the factory warranty!)

Thus far, my dealer has logged ~3-4 hours of labor (at a cost of ~$75.00/hour) just to diagnose the problem and to begin ordering the necessary parts; even more parts and labor may be required to fully fix my truck's moonroof, not to mention any storage fees required to keep my vehicle stored in the shop, protected from the weather. Moreover, my Platinum extended warranty is once again providing me with a free loaner vehicle for as long as it takes to complete repairs on my truck.

So, begin to think about how much money it would otherwise end up costing me to have all of this service rendered and completed (ie, labor, parts, shop fees, loaner vehicle, etc.) and I'll bet that my extended warranty will have paid for itself with this problem alone, and I still have another 55,000 miles of excellent, extended warranty coverage coming to me, should I need it.

I rest my case.
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    I have to admit that I am in the same corner with Kurt on this one. I too have an '04 4-Runner, which I picked up on Christmas 2003. It has given me zero problems, and it was purchased after much research on this forum. I remember reading many posts by "kheintz1" and appreciate the wisdom that he and others provided to me and all of the readers here. I also will admit to NOT purchasing the Toyota Extended Warranty, as I bought into the theory that their vehicles were reliable and enjoyed an enviable reputation. As my 4-Runner is less than three years old and has less than 36K miles I think I can still add the extended warranty. The vehicle has now been "taken over" by my wife and she absolutely loves it, after driving a Highlander for many years.

Here is what changed my mind about the Toyota Extended Warranty: just two weeks ago I took delivery of an '06 Toyota Avalon Limited. I spent a lot of time over on the Avalon board, and they are a very active bunch just like the 4-Runner fans. I put all of the toys on the Avy, including NAV (my first NAV system...) and Remote Start and Laser Cruise, etc etc etc. I still wasn't going to buy the warranty until we started signing all of the papers. Have to admit, after they made me a little deal on the 6yr/100K version that I changed my mind. This vehicle has so many electronics and gadgets and features that I really worried about the possible repair costs down the road. Some folks have mentioned the $4K replacement cost for the NAV system, for example. Ouch! So I bit the bullet and bought the extended warranty, and I don't regret the purchase. A lot depends on how long you project the vehicle will be kept in the family, and both the 4-Runner and the Avy will be keepers. That's why I am thinking about buying it also for the wife's 4-Runner.

Your mileage may vary, you may have a different view and that's great... I just think for me the piece of mind is now worth it, and Kurt's experience with his moonroof just underscores that point. Just wanted to share my changed view! :) Mike
    In the past, I think that it has been said that the warranty is not worthwhile if you won't keep the vehicle past the manufacturer's original warranty. That's a no brainer if you are going to trade the vehicle back in, but you might get some money back out of it in a private sale if the warranty is transferrable.

Otherwise it buys piece of mind. However, the average buyer will not get his/her money back out of the purchase price of the warranty. It is like any other form of insurance in that, in the aggregate, the manufacturer makes money on the warranty and thus does not expect to make repears equal to the purchase price. The average buyer loses some money on the transaction and a (un)lucky few actually come out ahead.

Also, those electronic gadgets are likely the most reliable thing on a new vehicle -- that is unless its a German vehicle. For some reason the German vehicles have very poor reliability with their electronics. Probably has something to do with their tendancy to go overboard on complexity.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I also have an 04 4Runner, now with 30k miles, and am agonizing over an ext warranty. I'm, looking at a 7yr/100k warranty, from Toyota for $700+tax, which a dealer in upstate NY, who posts here occasionally offers. I plan to keep it for 6 or 7 years, and tend to put on a lot of miles. Mine is a Sport model, with the XREAS suspension. I'm told that if a shock goes out, it requires a whole system replacement, which could be as much as $2000! My problem is, my dealer is part of SE Toyota, which sells a 3rd party warranty, which is probably ok in the SE, however, when outside this area, the owner pays the bill and then tries to get reimbursed from the insurance co.. I have misgivings about this arrangement. My dealer has been terrific is all respects, and I frankly don't know if he can sell the standard Toyota warranty, but I'm going to ask. Any thoughts? :confuse:
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Patrick,

A lot of the folks over on the Avalon 2005+ forum have addressed this issue, with good results. You can buy the "official" Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty from most any Toyota dealer, regardless of where you bought you new Toyota. Some of the dealers even sell through the Internet, and they sell the Platinum 100K mile warranty for around $995.00, which retails for $1695.00. I would check into that option. In my opinion, I would NOT buy any third party warranty, especially one that makes you pay up front and then beg for reimbursement. Go with the official Toyota version. If you need a source let me know. The Avalon crowd seems to like a dealer in Maryland that sells a lot of Platinum warranties for the low buck price of $995.00 or so... PS I used this dealer and his Web sale to get my local dealer down to close to the $995.00 price. Might help you out also.

Mike
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I own a 2005 SE V8 and am wondering if it's possible to purchase the Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty when the basic factory warranty is nearly up (36 months/36,000 miles)? What would be the point in buying it earlier? How much less would it cost?
    If it's like all the other car manufacturers, you can purchase at anytime up to three years of 36,000 miles. There is really no-need to purchase it at the same time you buy your car. Some people will finance the amount in with their car payment. That is about the only reason I can come up with.
  • true2utrue2u Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been able to find a 2006 4 Runner with NAV? I live in Southern CA and have called several dealers and they all have told me that it is not easy to find one as it is not a "normal" option for our region. I read the brochure and it said that the 2006 had a back up camera, voice recognition and bluetooth. I'd really like to see one or hear some of your opinions before I start hunting all over CA to find one. I realize that it is early in the model year and some may turn up somewhere, but I'd like to know if they are good systems. The last dealer told me to go and look at the one on the Highlander or the Sequoia-that they'd be the exactly the same thing. Does anyone know if they really would be the same? Thanks in advance.
  • runner13runner13 Member Posts: 1
    I know that they up'd the power in '05 from 235 hp to 270 hp in the same engine. Now it looks like they dropped the hp down by 10 hp to 260 and the torque down a whopping 27 lb-ft to 303.
    It's almost better to get a 2005 V8 now with the huge rebates or the 2006 V6.