Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Power is exactly the same, they are just using a different method to measure (rate) it.
  • skibumuvaskibumuva Member Posts: 3
    I went to the dealership yesterday to get my first look at a 2006 model. I was very surprised, but I think I like the 2005 better. The lights seemed bludged out as well as the grill. The 2006 model was a sport, the tubular rails are cool, but I think the old rails look more smooth. The grill was chrome and it was huge. LED tail lights were cool, but the projection head lights did not impress me. Will they work better at night, b/c I have a hard time seeing, they didn't seem very bright? I think that the 2005 models look more refined vs. aggressive for 2006. I will really miss the ipod connection and thicker glass, but I found a new 2005 for the price of a used 2005.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    As biglatka posted, there is no difference in the engine between 2005 and 2006. What changed is that the SAE changed the way horsepower ratings are determined. The horsepower rating of the engine is less using the 2006 methodology than it was using the 2005 methodology. But the engine itself is unchanged.
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    How does the Ipod connection work? Does it charge the ipod, do you need to buy a cord to connect it? If so what cord? Does it play on it's own setting on the stereo or is transmitted to the radio??
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    "are we to believe (as the Toyota rep was trying to convince me) that the V6 doesn't provide enough power for towing or "serious" offroading? "

Well that's totally crap. Some of the best offroading vehicles on the planet are '85 yotas with a 4 banger in it. He doesn't know anything about serious offroading. Engine has little to do with it. Lockers, proper gearing, and good transfer case has *much* more to do with it.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    Once you are in low range, the V6 provides tons of torque, especially since it is always mated to an automatic.

In low range, it is hard to imagine the slightly more powerful 8 having any noticable advantage.

Now, if you had 35 inch swamp tires on and you're going mud bogging, that might be a different story, but don't worry 35s won't fit on a runner without major modification. A 3 inch lift and minor modifications (cutting) will only get you to a 33.

I wish Toyota had given us a little more ground clearance and slightly larger wheel wells.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    It is a BS statement on the towing front also. The towing rating on the V6 is 5000 lbs. As long as you're under that it'll do fine.

You might have to drive up the 6% grade on I70 at 55 mph instead of the 62 you could do with the V8 since it makes a whopping 12% more power. People need to realize it isn't safe to pull their huge horse trailers at 85 mph down the interstae anyway.

If I were dragging something around heavier than 5000 lbs, I'd be more worried that the 4Runner isn't heavy enough and doesn't have a long enough wheel base to handle well with the load. Braking and turning are more important than top speed.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I tow a 21.5 foot trailer at approx. 5,000 pounds w/ an '05 4Runner with the V8. It handles fine. It is properly equipped for towing. I wouldn't recommend going much longer.
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    I am dying to know this also. We went and looked at an '06 ltd tonight (after having my mind made up on a Lexus RX) and we were pretty impressed, but I could not find where they hid the aux port! The sales guy didn't know, and I didn't want to tear the console apart then & there. I guess once you pack your CDs in mothballs in favor of digital music, there is no going back!
  • burner7burner7 Member Posts: 17
    Hey, I just found the aux port in my 4runner. It's inside the center console armrest,below where you can put your change in. It's not very visible, but it's there. I'm going to get the connector cable to test out my ipod tomorrow.
  • grantschngrantschn Member Posts: 3
    I haven't heard anyone mention the fact that the "sport" now comes with power seats std. Until now I think only the LTD's came this way. Am I correct? :confuse:
  • chrisslechrissle Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I was just reading your post and wanted to tell you something. I have a 2003 4Runner which I bought new. It's completely loaded - Navigation, Air-ride suspension, etc. However, I too noticed that the headlights were only truly effective when I switched on the fog lights. I had wished that Toyota had put xenon lights in but they didn't. Therefore, I went to "proxenon.com" and ordered an HID kit for it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! It's made all the difference. However, the only reason I did it is because the truck has an autoleveling suspension. Otherwise, you'll blind oncoming traffic.

Lastly I just outfitted it with an aftermarket bluetooth setup...doesn't it figure that the 2006 has it built in? Doesn't it also figure that they finally put voice-activated navigation in it? lol

- Chris Ducharme
    Rhode Island
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    I found the following post from last May. I have not received anything in the mail from Toyota nor have I been able to find anything searching the internet/recalls. I have a 2001.
    Does anyone know the skinny on this ?
    thx
    #2165 of 2171 4Runner Recall by transpower May 18, 2005 (11:24 am)
    | E-mail Msg
    Tsk, tsk, a 4Runner Recall: 2001-2002 4Runners (along with other Toyota models) have been recalled to fix potential steering/suspension problems. See p. D4 of today's Wall Street Journal
    I have found that 'transpowers' post about the Recall for potential steering/suspension problems is not a recall but there is a TSB.
  • vurvur Member Posts: 1
    I am sorry for posting it, since I couldn't find a definitive answer on this or other forums (I guess I am not the first one who asked this question).

I have Toyota 4runner V6 4WD year 2000 with ~92K miles. I have heard that starting from certain year 4Runners doesn't need a 90K timing belt change.

Is it true ?

Thanks a lot for your help
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    I can't speak to the 2001 model, but I did get a recall notice (#50-N) for "steering relay rod replacement" on my 1995 4Runner. It's going in tomorrow. Since your Runner is a different generation, this probably doesn't apply, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • soldier1soldier1 Member Posts: 10
    I am currently waiting to buy a 2006 V8 SE 4Runner. I am also a muli-ti era military veteran. I have tested the dealer waters here in Pennsylvania to see if any of them would provide any kind of military discount ( college grads get one, and have never been shot at) some gave me the song and dance that they could, however, Toyota does not have such a discount. Are there any other veterans in this forum who have any experience in obtaining any kind of military discount from dealers or Toyota?
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 V8 Limited 4x4 that I just got about 2 weeks ago (I love it so far!). I have only put 130 miles on it though so I haven't had to put any gas in it yet.

I was wondering though what do most people use in their 2005 V8's? I know the manual says 87 is fine, but 91 will get better performance. I would be really interested to know if there was someone using 91 or 89 and swiched to 87 when gas prices skyrocketed. Do you notice any degradation in power and mileage, and if so, how much?

Just trying to figure out when I fill up if it is worth it to go premium or stick with regular unleaded. Thanks!
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    gurgs24, I have a 2004 Toyota 4-Runner Limited V-8 which I have owned since purchasing it new in December 2003. It's used for daily commuting, a few trips a year and some horse-trailer towing in the summer months. I have routinely used 91 octane but lately (due to those gas price increases you mentioned!) have been using regular 87. I can't say I notice any difference at all, to tell you the truth. The engine seems to accomodate it just fine and doesn't complain. When towing, I try to always put the mid-level or premium grade in, but again I am not sure that it really matters much. It is a fantastic vehicle and seems to adapt to any situation. My wife liked it so much she sold her Highlander, took over the 4-Runner and I just purchased a new Avalon. I miss the 4-Runner and try to drive it every chance I can on the week-ends! :)

Mike
    I haven't noticed any difference. But I've been driving more gently lately. With more gentle acceleration and driving 65 mph on the highway instead of 75 mph, my gas mileage is approaching 19 mpg.
  • mzopinonatedmzopinonated Member Posts: 24
    My son, who is in the Air Force, bought at 2005 taco about 6 weeks ago and got a $500.00 military rebate from a Toyota Dealer in Tampa, Fl.
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the responses mstem and nedzel It sounds like I won't see much of a difference if any by using 87 octane. I think that is what I will do unless gas ever goes back under 2.50 a gallon.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Bluetooth is available on the new 06MY 4Runner along with a 4-disc in-dash CD changer. Plus you get the newest navigation system from Toyota too. ;)
  • stuartpsstuartps Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 SR5, automatic, with standard (factory standard,that is) shocks. I was wondering if there was an after market shock that would contribute to a "smoother" ride. By that, a more "car like" ride,even if it resulted in off road decrease in ride quality or performance. I hear good things about the adjustable shocks,but don't really know anything about them.

Or is the ride more determined by the suspension system and won't really be affected by change in shocks??

Thanks!
  • wishywishy Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a 4runner but I don't know if I should get the SR5 V6,V8 and/or 4WD? Or which combination? I live in Wisconsin and will be doing city and highway driving. Do I need V8 and would I want full time 4WD? Also, which is better 2005 or 2006? And what has anyone paid for a 2005?

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should find Toyota 4Runner: Prices Paid & Buying Experience useful!

tidester, host
    Shocks do definitely affect the ride quality. I unfortunately don't know what suspension system the 3rd gen 4runners run, but if they have coilovers in the front (like the 4th gens), you will have a hard time finding a suspension that is going to make your on road manners better. Most people replace their shocks on a 4runner to make them better offroad rather than worse.

You might have some luck if you talk to Toyota's TRD department. Who knows, maybe they make nicer shock for your year that will improve ride quality.
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know if the fog lights can be adjusted on a 2005?
    I prev. owned a 2000 and I was able to adjust them a bit (each light assembly had two adjustment screws).
    The setup on the 2005, at least to my first eyeball of it, looks like the light assembly clips into a housing with slots/clips and seems to be stationary...I didn't notice any adjustment screw(s)...
    Thanks. :confuse:
  • wishywishy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the link, but I was looking for more help with comparisons and help deciding which a better vehicle overall. Any suggestions?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can compare up to 5 vehicles with the Vehicle Comparison tool.

Steve, Host
    You live in Wisconsin and you're asking whether you should get 4WD? :confuse:

Get the 4WD. The V6 4WD system will do everything that the V8 system will do. Both can be run in 4WD on dry pavement. The V6 allows you to run 2WD -- something you don't get with the V8.

As for the engine, unless you're planning on towing, get the V6. It may not be much more efficient than the V8, but with gas prices as they are now, every little bit helps.

The 2006 has an aux port for your MP3 player. That would seal the deal for me ;)
    How does the Aux Port work?!?!?! No one has answered this question yet!
    I suspect that you use a cable that extends from the earphone jack on the MP3 player to the aux port. Then you use the MP3 player controls to play the music. Turn the stereo on and select the aux input, stereo controls for volume.
    Anyone know if the 2001 V6 has a bleed bolt for coolant flushing/refill ? If so where is it ?
    thx
    Does anyone definitively know how the Auxiliary input works with an Ipod?
  • burner7burner7 Member Posts: 17
    yes. it's exactly how nedzel said. I bought a cable from radio shack that goes directly from my ipod's earphone jack into the auxiliary port in my 4Runner....sound quality is excellent. very simple to do.
    The Ipod is not special in any way. Anything with an earphone jack will work.
    What about charging? Where does it plug in?
  • texashatotexashato Member Posts: 1
    Hey wishy, listen to nedzel -- don't buy a "2"Runner especially in Wisconsin. I live in Texas--just bought a 2005 6 cyl 4WD 4Runner. I almost bought the 8 cyl for the heavier duty hitch, plus it has higher towing capacity and more payload (must have heavier suspension...). I'm getting 22-24 on flat highway at 60-65 mph, but I drive easy. We love our 4Runner.

I'm a techno nut, so...Questions for those who really know their stuff:
    1. Mine has the ECT 5-speed transmission: is this the very same tranny as in the V-8?
    2. Are they replacing this tranny in '06 with a 4-speed (with the 6 cylinder), and only offering the 5-speed ECT with the V-8 in '06?
    3. Is the 4-speed a lighter duty tranny than the 5-speed?
    4. Is the final gear ratio (and thereby engine RPM) the same in the 4th gear of the ECT 5-speed as in the 4th gear of the 4-speed transmission?
    4. What are the suspension differences in the 4WD V-6 vs V-8?
    5. Is the 4WD while in 2WD going to have more slippage than the 2WD version due to the LSD in the 2WD model?
    Shato
  • gostrosgostros Member Posts: 10
    whats your opinion of the new Shadow Mica, available on 2006 4 Runners? For those who haven't seen it, the shadow mica is a dark charcoal grey (almost black) with a sheen to it (not unlike the sheen of gasoline on top of water).

Is it close to "Gun-Metal grey" or does its sparkle take something away from the "toughness" image of the 4Runner?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    4. What are the suspension differences in the 4WD V-6 vs V-8?

Depends on the model and if it's the standard or optional suspension, i.e. SR5 - Sport - Limited.

Read the brochure.

I hope you don't lie awake at night not knowing the answers to the above questions......
    Hey,
    I am planning on purchasing a 4runner on Dec. 13th. Why the specific date you ask? The money I have saved up for it is tied up in an interest bearing account until then. My question is. If I want to drive off the lot with my 4runner with all the options I want, how soon should I look into hitting the dealership? Is it possible to negotiate and just have my pickup date as Dec. 13th?
    Thanks.
    they say it takes 12-16 weeks for a specially-ordered 4Runner to be pick-up-ready...depending on your flexibility, you may not be able to find the 4Runner that you want on the lot. if its there, you can drive off the lot with the car the same day.
    So...are you saying I should be at a dealership tomorrow?
    just saying that i ordered a 4Runner last weekend and, based on my conversations at the dealership, I'm not expecting it until sometime in January at the earliest.
    Wow...
    I just spoke with my dealer out here and they said if I can get it ordered this week, it'd be no problem to have it middle of December and that it would probably come earlier, but they'd hold it for if it does. All I have to do is put down a refundable $1000 as a placeholder.
  • chris_gchris_g Member Posts: 4
    Folks,

I have a 2004 V6 4wd 4Runner that eats front brakes. The originals were down to the metal at 14k. I then had premium pads installed and the rotors turned and they lasted 11k. Toyota only covers brakes for 10k and they are calling this normal wear. I haven't towed anything yet and the wife drives it mostly to run the kids around but 11k? That can't be normal. My friend has the 2003 model and still hasn't had to do brakes at 38k, which is what I would expect. Anyone else seen this issue? Please point me to the right discussion group if this isn't it. Thanx.
    You may want to do a discussion search in the Toyota 4Runner: Problems and Solutions discussion and there's also a Stop here! Let's talk about brakes discussion that may be helpful to browse while you are waiting for 4Runner specific responses.

Perhaps your friend isn't doing lots of stop and go driving in traffic and perhaps your wife is, ahem, a spirited driver? :shades: 10k between brake jobs is a bit extreme ... maybe check for dragging calipers. Is the SUV pulling to one side?

Steve, Host
  • chris_gchris_g Member Posts: 4
    I just posted this in the 4runner Problems and Solutions also. My wife is admittedly hard on the vehicle so I have been driving it more the last few months to give it a break but the premium pads lasted less than 6 months. The brake shop (not Toyota) replaced them for free since the pads were warrantied for a year but they won't do it again since they too feel there is something wrong with the vehicle. If it was the calipers dragging would that be obvious to the brake shop? The vehicle does not appear to pull to either side.
    I used to have a sticky caliper on my old '82 Tercel now and then but I'd think it'd be unusual for both to be dragging. Hopefully some more mechanically inclined people will weigh in.

Steve, Host