Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006-2009 SE 6 cylinder Sonata Power!

asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
Let's hear about the power of these cars! What are your experiences? I saw on youtube a few 60 mph runs that are crazy. It looks like it must be hard to keep the car under 70 on the highway.

Comments

• sonata4lifesonata4life Member Posts: 20
    Yes, it's really hard to keep it under control. The V6 engine is so smooth and quiet and you wonder, sometimes, whether it's on or not at/around 65 mph.

It's fun to drive and only drawback I see is it revs to easily 2000 - 2500 rpm when you take off slowly from a traffic light and feels as if it struggles a little bit when it starts rolling. I am not pushing too much gas but still feels little sluggish... Once it goes to 30 and above, it's very smooth and quiet. Not sure whether its becos the engine hasn't broken-in yet (mine is close to 1000 miles now).
  • gary_sonata_08gary_sonata_08 Member Posts: 1
    I love the pickup over the 4 cyl. ...

I am having a bit of trouble with the TPMS system ... dealer inflated and reset the sensor twice ... in two days. Any suggestions
  • lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    Well... I don't know about yours, but, I have to feather the the throttle when I take off otherwise I tburns rubber like a dragster, it flys off the line like a V8 and even even takes some V8 and beats them off the line every time.
    When you take off from a light, how does the engine sound? And, what about the rpm? How high do you go when it starts rolling?

I want to figure out whether there is some tuning that I have to do (it's a brand new one but has been sitting in the dealer's lot for more than 3 months before I laid my hands). Mine too will take off really fast if I pump it up to 3500+ rpm but I am just trying to feather it and it feels little sluggish... Not sure whether it's becos of the new engine or sth else!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Are you, maybe, starting off so slowly that the car shifts into second gear early, making it seem as it you are starting up in 2nd gear?

If you're getting up to 2K or 2500 rpm in 1st gear the car shouldn't seem sluggish at all.
    Yes, I try to start slowly and the engine doesn't pick up steam and hence, I pump the gas a little bit more and it revs up to 2000 - 2500 rpm and the engine roars and goes faster. My earlier car, which was a Maxima, doesn't behave that way... So, again, not sure whether it's a new engine or maybe, some tuning that needs to be done... Don't have a clue!

Would be interesting to know why does it go into 2nd gear if someone starts slowly? I would expect it to go in the first gear until the rpm reaches a certain level or maybe, there is some other theory behind the gears shifting process?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    It could be the adaptable transmission if you are too easy on the gas.

Try, for a month, to give it a bit more gas when starting (it won't materially affect your MPG) and don't pump the gas pedal, apply steady pressure.
  • lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    Thruthfully I really don't look at the tach, all I know is that when I hit the throttle it takes offf like a bat out of hell, and it doesn't take much pressure on the throttle to get it off the line. Mine is an '06 which I bought with 24K and it has run like a frigin jack rabbit right from the start. I don't know what to tell you, unless you take it to a dyno shop and have them check it out to see what if anything is wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • krishnakonlinekrishnakonline Member Posts: 8
    Recently bought a 2009 Sonata limited V6 with NAV, ......and now its 350 plus miles and since past 2 days... the engine cries(noisy) like anything....when I start the engine and till the time it reaches 0-35 mph(with jerks while it shifts the gears), it feels like I am driving a used car/truck. Real terrible...no pickup...even if its a V6.

One of the dealers said it needs 89 Ocatne gas....I should not put 87 Ocatne..where as per my user manual... 87 Octane gas is fine.

Where as the dealer from whom I bought the car asked me to get the car tomow. to their service center..... as they said they r going to fix it..if not then replace the car. Where as its not typically expected of a new car if it really passed Quality tests.....

Let me know if anyone had similar problem in the past......??
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's continue this conversation here where you have gotten a reply: krishnakonline, "2009 Hyundai Sonata" #575, 28 Aug 2008 3:05 pm.
  • dave868dave868 Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2009 V6 Limited. Power is adequate, but I don't feel it's anything to write home about. Could use more low end torque.

Don't get me wrong, I am big fan of Hyundai, and love my Sonata... .but the Nissan/Infiniti VQ line of engines are definitely stronger, particularly in the lower rev band.
  • sripreesripree Member Posts: 2
    I have two problems
    1) If I am driving in 50 MPH and I come to a complete stop, the car does change to a lower gear it simply turns off the engine
    2) If I am driving in 40 MPH and then If I press the brake to reduce the speed and then make turn and then press the gas pedal to increase speed, the car just jerks for a few seconds before changing gear.

I have a feeling that the car has problems going from 2nd to 1st bear. Does anybody have the same problem. Are there any solutions?

Sridhar
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    The problem is the torque converter for #1 and probably #2. The torque converter in locked when you are stopping so there is no slippage to allow the engine to idle. This should be 100% in warrenty unless you have driven 100,000 miles.
  • sripreesripree Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.

Do you know how long it takes to fix it?
    The dealer would know that probably a day of labor. The dealer will verify the problem first.
  • tgrosetgrose Member Posts: 1
    I installed a pair of 40 series 2 chambers. They sound very good - no bumble bee sound, but my highway gas mileage dropped from 32 to 26. I guess it's a mistake to cut off the factory mufflers and sacrifice that many MPG's. My mileage to and from work has not changed??
    Maybe the engine will adjust to the new mufflers or you are on the gas more because you like the sound
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    If your new mufflers restrict the flow any at all it will drop your HP and MPG. It
    happened to me before. With catylitic converters the system may be thrown off.
    Just the opposite happens if you open the flow you will gain HP and MPG like
    when headers are installed, have done that also. I used to work on my own vehicles
    but with all the new junk they have on them it takes a computer now.
This discussion has been closed.