Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• dm157dm157 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the update. Do you have any pictures yet?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just what the US needs, bigger engines in what few fuel efficiency oriented hybrid available. Why not smaller, a LOT smaller, but with a engine belt driven independently variable speed SC for the times of requirement, 1% maybe...??

99% of the time even a 1L Atkinson cycle engine would probably be excessive.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I hear that the new 2.5 is more efficient and cleaner than the current 2.4. True, they could have made it smaller and even more efficient and cleaner, but the US population as a whole puts a large value on HP.
    If the new 2.5L had DFI then I would approve.

"..US population.."

Yes, certain segments of the US population, the "red-neck" segment (Hi Bob, Merry Christmas) for sure, will never be willing, unless forced, to give up their V8's.

But the FUTURE has now arrived, the re-education of the US population has already begun, by Cadillac, yet.

No more V8 engines in Cadillac's future....

And it appears that future Cadillacs will NOT be patently UNSAFE FWD or even F/AWD.

Good-o, Kudoes, to Cadillac.

And I HATE having to CHAMPION Cadillac....But give them their due, I must.

Now if they would just QUICKLY adopt their new DFI V6 to the "truckster" I might even go back on my lifelong promise to myself that I would NEVER own a Cadillac.

But before I switch horses I'll have to wait and see how Lexus has implemented the AWD system in the upcoming 2010 RX3X0. R/AWD and their DFI V6 and I'll remain in their corner.
  • seatoyotasalesseatoyotasales Member Posts: 36
    I THINK the 4 cyl will be getting a new 6 speed auto but I am only assuming since that trans is also in the 4 Cyl Venza.

No pics of it yet. Rebates on the current 09 model Camry are at an all time high of $1500 in the Seattle area. We have about 50 of them on the ground and hopefully can sell them all before the 2010 comes out. Week after CHristmas is usually a very busy week for buyers so we expect to move a lot of Camry's during that period. Also, we have had days and days of snow with a lot of wrecked and totaled cars so people will be needing to replace their current ones.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Not true at all regarding the end of Cadillac V8s. 2009 Cadillac CTS-V has a turbocharged 6.2L V8 engine that delivers 556 hp.
    Cadillac recently announced the end of the V8....
    Both the 2.5 4 cyl and the V-6 will have a 6 speed auto trans.

Interior and Exterior of the Hybrid version says it will have more "dramatic" changes to differentiate it between the gas version.

And thats it....production starts in March 09
    6 speeds, 9(10??) gear ranges, be prepared for LOTS of shiftiness..

For best, more optimal FE the engine/transaxke ECU keeps the engine right on the cusp, or closely nearby, of just barely having enough torque for current speed and roadbed conditions. Downshift results at even the very slightest pertubation in the roadbed and then an upshift afterwards.
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for sharing the info seatoyotasales. Any info on the colors for 2010? We're trying to decide between the 2010 Camry or 2010 Prius. Will purchase in Summer '09 or earlier.
    Another reason I will get a 6 speed MANUAL.
    The only thing I read a few months ago was that there would be a new "green" color although I think they need to mix up the palette a little more with some new colors. Just my opinion though.
  • chicagocamrychicagocamry Member Posts: 29
    I agree that the Camry could do with more/better choices of colors.
  • atb2atb2 Member Posts: 30
    Re: 2.5 4 cyl

Hope the new I4 will have less vibration and "drone" than the current 2.4. Although, the current engine has been pretty bullet-proof over the years.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    I already have an 09 camry but i was curious in what the refreshed one will look like. Are they going to be show the 10 camry at the upcoming autoshows or is it going to be released in a quietly manner and not at the autoshow.
  • atb2atb2 Member Posts: 30
    It's hard to say considering the state of the economy. In normal times I would say in the same manner as the last three MY's, but with car sales in the tank, there may be more fanfare with this rollout.
  • usfmarineusfmarine Member Posts: 7
    I just read this entire thread, it sounds like a few here have their fingers on Toyota's pulse. Does anybody know what the cash rebate/financing incentives will be after Jan 5, 09?

Trying to figure out if Jan 5 is the last opportunity to snag an LE with $1000 rebate or 0% financing. Thanks for any help.
  • dm157dm157 Member Posts: 4
    I found this on a car spy shots website. Although it is a Natural Gas Hybrid (NGH) prototype, it seems the SE-style lower lip is different than the 2009 Camry, maybe a little more angular, and it is hard to imagine they did that solely for this NGH prototype. It does not look like anything else changed (except of course that the grill would not be covered with that plastic in the real 2010 version). I hope I am wrong. I actually think the Asian Aurion got the hood/logo piece right. Follow this link and then go down toward the bottom of the page (past the pics of the Aurion) and you will see a baby blue NGH.
    http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=16385&page=5
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Detroit auto show revealed the new 2010 Toyota Camry today with a new 2.5L I4 engine, 6-speed auto, and grill look. Stability control is now standard as well as four auto up/down power windows. Interior looks to be unchanged.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6415201/auto-news/toyota-gives-camry-a-minor-makeover-- - for-2010/index.html
    The colors for the 2010 Camry are listed here: http://www.toyotaofmorristown.com/new/index.cfm/page/vehicles/action/veh/year/20- 10/make/toyota/model/camry/ADID/USC00TOC021B1/

There is a new spruce mica, which I believe is a green. There is a sandy beach metallic, which is a darker version of the current desert sand mica.

This site also shows the colors: http://www.toyotareference.com/
    Also, prices have been announced. MSRP goes up by $281.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/13/refreshed-2010-toyota-camry-to-start-at-21-11- 5/
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the link. The Green Mica looks very nice - almost black.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    With Ford bringing out the Fusion Hybrid in 2010, how will Toyota compete against it? The claims made so far, higher MPG, in the 40's, higher on EV mode, up to 48MPH, and with the fact that the Fusion is showing a better overall quality than Camry, and better overall consumer ratings, what will Toyota do so keep up with the new challenger? I think Ford is quietly taking up some of the hybrid market that Toyota has exclusively held for the past few years.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi there. Possibly you are looking for the Hybrid Vehicles board. This discussion is about the regularly powered new Camry.
    um, this was in the Toyota Camry Hybrid thread. :confuse: ;)

What is this discussion about? Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Future Vehicle, Automotive News, Sedan
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sorry, the categorization was wrong and has been corrected. Thanks for pointing that out! :)
    Has anyone seen the new spruce mica color in person? How does it look? It's a new color in the Toyota family. I don't think any other Toyota model has it.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Toyota has brought out green metallics before and they never seem to last. Greens tend to cost you on resale unfortunately.

I saw the 2010 Camry. It doesn't look all that different to me and while the new I-4 may have a bit more power, the mileage is only 1 mpg better. I'd probably go for the 09 and take the big savings right now.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Power controls for windows / door / mirrors are illuminated? Interior quality is improved? Any improvements in driving dynamics?
    "...Any improvements in driving dynamics?..."

No, it remains a patently unsafe FWD vehicle.
    No changes, other than the 2.5 L engine, 6 speed manual/automatic, and different tail lights, slightly different grill, and stability/traction control standard on all models. I have never needed to look down at the power windows or locks to find them. They are at your fingertips, and you can easily feel which button is which. The drivers' power window switch is lighted, just like most Toyotas in the past.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    FWD patently unsafe. :surprise:

Thats hysterical. :D
  • 1lpn1lpn Member Posts: 11
    I would like to hear more opinions about this...

Anybody out there been able to do a good interior comparison of old v. new?
    Very few 2010s have been purchased, so the comparisons are not available yet. Wait a few weeks. Interior is going to be the same, from what I read.
    FWD patently unsafe.

Thats hysterical.

Based on what criteria I myself wonder. AFAIC the Camry handles well, I dont have any issues with it and where the "patently unsafe" comment came from is beyond me. The Prius OTOH does have a few flaws that I deamed unsafe, poor traction control that shut down the motor, very bad when trying to accelerate into traffic and there happens to be some gravel or sand on the road, not very happy when that happened. Over 23000 miles in the Camry, and not once do I have a complaint on its handling. It is what it is, a family sedan, if you want a sports car, get a frikin sports car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Some people need a family sedan for practical reasons, but still want some sporty driving, or dare I say, fun behind the wheel of their car. For them, there are other options (Mazda 6, Accord, Altima). The Camry is a sofa on wheels; relaxed, comfortable, and a great place for a nap. :)
    OTOH, taking a sofa and putting it through a course can be a heck of a lot more exhilarating than a sports car. Coming from a background driving Crown Vics, the Camry is a fun car to put through its paces. You haven't had a heart pounding experience until you drift a Camry through a open road course. I did it last year up in WI just for fun, I also had the thrill of having the first Hybrid on that track.
    I can't imagine the non-defeatable VSC Toyota has would let you have much fun?
    From what I am reading, the backlit trim around the stereo and hvac is gone, the stereo is updated (among other things, with matching optitron look), new window switches, and other unspecified trim changes.

I hoping that the unspecified changes include an honest center console, not the retarded tray that's there (which is really a step back from gen 5 - I own a 2002 V6 SE), and maybe do away from the cheapo plastic pocket on the back of the front seats, among other things.

Not much to ask, but you are right, people are biting on the tasty 2009 deals out there, so no reason for many to buy the 2010.

I, on the other hand, already plotting for deals that will enavitably come around for the 2010 models. I avoided the first 2 years on purpose after my sour experience with the 2002. Solid mechanically (120k on it now), but the hardware/brakes/sunroof problems sucked. Always have to give them 2-3 years to work out the issues, always.

When my wife was up for a car in 2007, I had no choice but to go for the last year of the previous gen Accord. Being the last year production, it has 20k miles on it and not a single issue. The deal was tasty and I punished Toyota for the experience on the 2002 Camry.

Before any of you Malibu\Taurus fanboys out there decide to gang-up and comment on what I said or toyota's "slipping quality": Put your money where your mouth is - go and buy yourself a Malibu/Taurus, and when you got 120k miles on it, come back and report, please.
    Do many Chevy and Ford owners chime in often, here? It's a dedicated Toyota Camry forum. Just curious; I don't check in here too often (I own an Accord, but am not suffering from "Honda-Vision," as I like to check out what else is out there).
    I have a few Fords in my garage as well as the Camry. The Crown Vic/Grand Marquis cars are always tough dependable cars with good quality in them, they are just dated. With the exception of the 2007 Town Car, they are all over 120K miles on them and still going strong. The 1995 Grand marquis looks like hell since it has some weather damage to it, but on the coldest days, starts right up, only work put into it was new steering components, they took a beating on the crappy roads around here. My F30 is 10 years old, has 133K on it, no major repairs other than ball joints, and it is a 1 tom Behemoth that takes a beating. None of the Fords we have has had a trip back to the dealer for anything.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    wwest....I value almost all of your comments, usually backed up by your personal experience, but that statement about front wheel drive is below your usual expert response. Now don't go off quoting some silly results of testing using some dangerous moves performed on some test track by some people trying to prove the danger of front wheel drive. Those findings are about as acurate as the fact "even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then", true,,,,but not real world. JMHO.
    Well, my 2007 I-4 manual has been perfect, except that I had the computer reprogrammed for the occassional hesitation on acceleration. It only took the dealer 25 minutes, and the car has been perfect ever since. Most of the mechanicals on this car are tried and true. The engine is the same as the 2002-2006, and the tranny (5 manual) is also the same. Many other major components are also the same. So I had no reason to fear a first year car, and I do not regret it. With the 2010, it is a new engine, but I still wouldn't have a problem buying one. I have had another first year total redesign Toyota from 2001, and had no problems except for a few rattles that were fixed. Honda, etc. is the same way.

I have no complaints about the backlit trim - strange they are changing it. I may be buying a 2010 or 2011, so I'm curious.
    The Panther platform is one their better efforts, though, as you said, a bit dated.

I hope I am not openning this thread for a flame war, I just wanted to pre-empt the Malibu/Taurus/Fusion fanboys boasting about mileage this and feature that when they never owned the thing.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    He's totally serious, believes FWD cars are inherently less safe than RWD cars because of a supposed tendency of the former to be more susceptible to understeer on pavement that's not dry. Silly me, I always thought oversteer was more dangerous for the average driver because it can cause a car to swap ends! The latter was one of Nader's chief criticisms of the original Corvair.

I know I'd take understeer any day. Front wheels lose traction, the natural tendency is to immediately ease up on the gas. Result: car slows down, weight transfers to the front, and traction (and steering control) regained. With oversteer, you have to be very quick with the steering wheel to keep the rear end from coming around!
    "..poor traction control that shut down the motor..."

There is a good, SOLID, foundation for dethrottling the engine of a FWD or F/awd the very instant wheelspin/slip due to too much engine torque for roadbed conditions is detected.

Many of today's RWD and R/awd vehicles also have TC, Traction Control, but the design parameters often differ in that while the moderate braking of a spinning of slipping wheel will still be virtually INSTANTANEOUS, the engine dethrottling will often be delayed. The dethrottling delay will sometimes be for multiple seconds and in some cases only a few hundred milliseconds.

Why...??

With loss of traction, wheelspin/slip due to too much engine torque for roadbed traction conditions on a RWD or R/awd the driver still has the ability to maintain directional control. Not so with FWD or F/awd, therefore the design engineers must do their utmost to prevent an extended period of loss of traction on one of these vehicles.

So I stand by my statement, while FWD & F/awd vehicles are being made less unsafe via the specific TCS implementation they remain patently UNSAFE. ons.

Most learned or experienced 4WD and 4X4 drivers are well aware that it is patently UNSAFE to drive, even on a low traction surface, above dead slow with the front drive engaged. Regretably there is no FWD or F/awd with automatic transaxle vehicle wherein the front drive can be disengaged, nor even QUICKLY disengaged(***) when conditions warrant.

*** Of course you could, as the AAA recommends, quickly shift the transaxle into neutral to alleviate the potential from loss of control due to engine compression braking.
    The biggest problem with the Corvair was the potential for a rear axle/wheel to "tuck-under" in a severe stearing maneuver. Otherwise it had the same shortcoming as today's Porsche 911 and original VW beetle, so much rear weight bias that once you let them, CAUSED them, to start coming around, swapping ends, it was/is practically impossible to stop the rotation.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I agree that the rear swing axle causing "tuck-under" and subsequent rollover was the most serious problem with the original Corvair. However the inherent tendency of the car to oversteer was not disclosed to the typical buyer, who was led to believe the car would handle like a typical RWD car of its day -- that is, understeer at the limit.

I disagree with you though that today's FWD cars are inherently unsafe compared to their RWD peers. If this were even marginally true, where is the evidence -- wouldn't we have seen an increase in deaths/injuries on the roads over the past 30 years when FWD became far more popular among cars?

But this really isn't the place to be discussing this...supposed to be talking about the 2010 Camry.
    "..-- wouldn't we have seen..." ??

No, developments and inventions like airbags, ABS, VSC, F/awd and now especially TCS have helped to keep all that in check.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes precisely..

Now that you've had your say on this subject in this forum like you have in every forum you participate in ... let it go. We've heard this same rant over and over and over and over and over and ..... in every FWD vehicle that comes along.

We understand your pov. Not that many agree with it but we understand where you stand.

Next subject.
This discussion has been closed.