Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I can't argue with your statement that front wheel drive cars are patently unsafe, but rear wheel drive cars are also patently unsafe. So is getting out of bed in the morning. That's life.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    In regards to the TC on a Prius, you don't understand what I meant. The engine completely shuts down, not powers down, shuts down! I fully understand traction control, and have had it in both FWD and RWD cars since 1992. The Prius(maybe they fixed it post 2007) literally shuts down all power to the drive wheels when slip is detected, making for a dangerous situation at times. There was one time I could not get up a slight grade when snow was on the ground, I would move forward a few inches then stop, spin, stop, spin, stop, get the picture? No other car that I have driven did that, they all used the pulse of the anti lock brake system to control wheel spin. When pulling out, if the wheels spun for just a bit, all power was disabled for nearly 2 seconds, and when you have traffic coming, 2 seconds means a lot, and I am not talking about rain, or snow, I am talking about a little sand or gravel in the intersection. IMO the Prius has a bad flaw when it comes to the Traction Control, and was the major reason I got rid of it in less than a year of owning it. OTOH my TCH does not have the same TC setup, and works just fine.

Oh and BTW, from a previous post, yes you can defeat the VSC on the Camry, its a secret handshake that does it. :P
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    For the majority of owners, they won't do it without a button or something. Thankfully, all the cars I've driven don't have such a hindering ESC system (if they have one at all). Those that have had it were cars from the big H, and as we all know, they come with a button to turn it completely off. :blush: Why can't Toyota do something so simple?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I haven't driven many cars with TC, and even fewer in conditions wherein TC actually activated. But going all the way back to our '92 LS400 you just adequately described the operation, TC activated = NO GO FORWARD.

Our '92 has the ability to turn TC off and I developed the practice of doing just that each and every time I started it. On the subject of the Prius as an engineer I understand the TC design. Using the brakes for TC would be a poor compromise when you have linear functionality of the synchronous A/C drive system at hand.
    Basically, turning FWD & F/awd TC off, for many engineers, is a tad beyond engineering comprehension.

Why is TC activating, why has TC activated?

Because there is TOO much drive torque being applied to the driven wheels for the level of trcation available....

So think of TC, first and foremost, as an early warning of roadbed conditions.

Now that TC has activated what is, should be, your next move...??

Try to "feather" the throttle ever so lightly as to get moving forward without breaking through the "traction barrier". Try applying just enough torque to get the vehicle going forward.

Doesn't work...??

Call a tow truck or add traction. Tire chains..??

Most folks with even a minor level of experience driving in wintertime low traction conditions will tell you that disabling TC so as to allow unlimited wheelspin/slip will almost never be of much help. If the slippery "layer" is thin enough that the heat of a spinning tire can break/cut through, then yes. Or if you need to use wheelspin/slip to rock the car back and forth to get unstuck, then again, yes.

But keep in mind that had that Prius TC system allowed you to go "spinning out" across that intersection what would you have done if a quick turning maneuver had been required and then, ONLY THEN, you discovered the poor traction conditions...??

What then...!!
    On all cars EXCEPT the Prius, you still have some forward momentum or power being applied, the Prius TC=ZERO power being applied! Ask anyone who drives a Prius with stock tires how disconcerting it is to try to pull out into traffic or go up a hill when there is a little sand or gravel on the road and you wind up not going anywhere quickly. There are some out there who couldnt make it up their own driveway with stock tires! The whole point of giddy up and go is lost when it kicks in. In any other car a little wheel slip wont put you in a ditch, so the tire slips a little, but you still go. The TC on the Prius is HYPERSENSITIVE! Just a little slip of a tire kicks it in, and that is my whole point here. The same intersection with the Camry, the tires slip a little still, but the TC doesn't kick in at all, get the point? Prius Vs Camry, both Hybrids, same amount of traction, Prius no go, Camry go. No matter how you "feather" the Prius, when you have poor traction, it doesn't go because the TC prevents any power to be applied. In all the other cars, at least you still have some power being applied to the wheels still turn, they may still slip some, but they will still turn, NOT in the Prius, they STOP!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I used to own a '63 corvair convertible, and tuck under was not even on the radar compared to an extremely happy rear end. Driving at speeds that a Camry could do easily (trying to stay on topic) the rear end would suddenly try to pass the front end when going around corners. :surprise: To say it is like a Porsche is quite an insult to that brand.

Maybe your experience in driving a first generation Corvair is different. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    2010 Camry anyone?
    First, the low speed torque of those synchronous AC motors is nothing short of phenomenal. So it may just be that torque is being applied but results in wheelspin/slip so quickly that it only appears that no forward drive is available.

Also....The OEM tires are undoubtedly selected primarily for low rolling resistance. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but I suspect that might also mean relatively low traction.

And while I have no exposure to the actual firmware code, the few FWD vehicles I have driven always seem to activate TC even before I had a sense of wheelspin/slip. But in reality it may very well be the tire selection that is making the difference.
  • chicagocamrychicagocamry Member Posts: 29
    I believe the 2010 Camry has a switch to turn off traction control, whereas the 09 didn't (for the optional traction control).
  • djs3djs3 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know when the 2010 Camry Hybrids will start showing up in dealer showrooms? Some dealers in NJ are saying not until June but I get the sense that they don't know or are just pushing to sell the 2009 Hybrids they still have on the lot.

Thanks!!!
    Given that the viability of DFI, Direct Fuel Injection, is now well proven technically, and clearly results in a rather dramatic rise in FE, I wouldn't buy any new vehicle, hybrid or no, until the engine is adapted to/for DFI.
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    In LA county, the Camrys are stacking up on the dealer lot. They're not too anxious to receive more inventory, even though the new models have more to offer. One of the local dealers also mentioned that they would not have any 2010 Camry or Prius in their inventory system till Summer.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    I'm surprised this thread is dead for 2 months. It's a new engine with new 6-speed with better fuel economy, so there should be more anticipation here.

Took a look at one today, and the only change in the interior I dound is there is now a cover for the holder just below the shifter.
    Ford Fusion is kicking Camry's butt. Both Hybrid and non hybrid models are selling better than Camry, and after sitting in one I can see why, such a nicer car.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Not true. Someone can post the link to the actual numbers.
  • jacko6jacko6 Member Posts: 3
    That all changes after you turn on the engine and actually drive it.
    Actually, that's where things go south for me as far as the Camry goes. Outside, its not offensive, but not "pretty" either, like most competitors. The driving experience in the SE V6 and LE V6 I have driven in the past year (the SE was an 07, the LE an 08) were yawn-boxes with lots of power.

The 2008 Fusion SE I4 I drove was much better to drive, allowing for *gasp* steering feel.

If you want comfy and quiet and don't care about actually DRIVING, get the Toyota. It's the better ride, but not the better drive. If you want a car that you'll actually enjoy driving, the Ford is the better of the two (at least pre-2010) by a long shot.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    So, does that mean the Ford Fusion will win higher resale value this year than Toyota Camry? (yeah right)
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    The performance numbers look fine, fuel economy is competitive, exterior looks ok (score in the lower pact to me though), but interior is just typical American - ugly and cheap. Worse of all, I know for a fact that if someone spend 20K on a Big 3 car, of the 20K, about 14K would go to the car company itself, then, compared to Toyo/Hon/Nis, 1-2K out of 14K will not be used for the car, it goes to UAW etc., which I am personally not interested in making a donation to.

All non-car factors aside, why would anyone choose a Malibu or Fusion is beyond me, maybe the exterior really clicks for you?
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    Buying a car for my wife. Anyone driven the new 2.5 + 6 speed? I test drove the old 2.4 before, compared to V6, it had acceptable power for regular highway/city usage, but the noise under acceleration put me off, don't know if the new R series has improved on that? That V6 is surely a cheap fun but wonder if it is wise (safe) to put it under her feet... :)
    From what I've read, the new 2.5 is quieter under acceleration than the 2.4.
  • yfyuyfyu Member Posts: 5
    I own a 1993 Camry, it has 240000 miles and still running good. That is why I trust toyota's quality and decided to get an new Toyota Camry instead of getting a new Honda Accord.
    On last Memorial weekend, I bought a 2010 Camry standard 4 cylinders CE from a dealer in Los Angeles area. Just got it couple days, I found that the seat is rocking when in stop and go traffic. I brought it back to the service dept of that dealer and they found that there is welding issue on the seat track. They said that they tried re-welded it, but still having issue. My car is still in the shop and has been there over a week now and it get me so frustrated. I am thinking of calling Toyota USA's customer service to help me resolving this issue.
    I would like to know if anyone out there has experience Toyota's quality issue like me.
    I am kind of regrat that I did not get a Accord instead.
    Ehh, you had bad luck. Honda has a few bad ones too. You should have a free rental car while they are repairing it. After being in manufacturing (not auto) for a long time, I know that as good as the Toyota quality system is, humans can still make mistakes and not get caught. I have never read about anyone else having a problem like this.

So you have a 2010 2.5 manual tranny - how do you like it otherwise? I have a 2007 2.4 manual.
    I drove it just for couple day before I took it back to the dealer for the driver seat problem. For driving, I like the car. Ride is smooth and has good power. Acceleration is not quick but responsive. (All are sujective). Infact, It is a 2.5L auto basic model. I apologize for confusing you by saying it is a standard (manual shifting).
    I am still waiting for their call back about the driver seat fix. I am not sure if I should call Toyota on pushing for replacing a new seat for me.
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • chris789chris789 Member Posts: 37
    I'm looking at both the 2009 and 2010 models of the Camry. The main difference I see between the two years is the engine was changed. Does anybody know how much better this engine is over the 2009? I may get the 2009 if the price is much lower than the 2010 unless the engine is a lot better.

Chris
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You don't indicate which trim level you are looking at, but from a standard LE perspective....................

in addition to the engine, the transmission is changed, and VSC is now standard.
    Very minor updates to front and rear styling (mainly LED tail-lamps instead of bulbs, etc...)
  • wclarkjr1wclarkjr1 Member Posts: 19
    Looks like Toyota is offering 2.9% financing for 2010 Camrys in the North East.
    Any idea if/when this will extend to the South East?
    Just try to update my post.

The dealer replaced the driver seat frame. It works very well and the seat has no more clicking when driving.

So far, the car is smooth and its power is adequate to me even my whole family in it (4 people). I think the 6 speed transmission did help to smooth out the engine a bit.

I never drove a 2009 model before therefore I can't tell which model year is better.

Interior is not that great, pretty much everything are plastics. I feel a rough edge on the door handle plastics. The air vent is pretty noisy when the fan is on high setting.

Overall, I am satisfy with the purchase.

I paid invoice and got the special financing from Toyota.

I hope my review will help you.
    Does body side molding prevent car doors from getting dented in parking lots? Toyota wants $209 to put it on the camry and wanted to know if this was worth while.

tia,
    Chris
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Not very much these days, with the side moldings projecting out very little and height mismatches between cars, trucks, and SUVs.

I'd recommend parking away from other cars or using end spaces, where you can park close to the edge away from the next car. My 11-year-old Nissan Frontier is almost dent-free by using these methods.
    Not much, but a little. I also park FAR away from other cars. I have the side moldings on my '07, and I happen to like the looks of them.
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    I agree that it doesn't help much nowadays. Many years ago, Kragen/Pep Boys/Napa/etc used to sell a DIY kit for under $50. Basically you lightly scrub away the wax where the molding will go and then peel off the paper backing on the molding and and stick it on. It worked well and held up for years on my older vehicles. Nowadays I try to park away from other vehicles as the other posters suggested, but that's not always possible if the lot is full, etc.
    Not worth the cost, and sort of ruins the lines of the car. They wont even protect your car from a hungry horse that likes to chew on fenders

(ask me how I know, I dare you!) :sick:
    LOL, oh do tell!! :shades:
    A good "ding doctor" will get a reasonable sized dent out of your sheetmetal for $40-$60 bucks. I'd save my cash and get some dings knocked out in a couple of years, if you have any.
    My new 2010 Camry LE has been averaging a disappointing 24.5 mpg. I have a 2003 Camry LE and it averages 29 mpg. I expected the newer model would get 29+mpg. What can be done to increase it? Is there a K&N air filter for this engine? Can anything be done with the exhaust to get better mpg? Thanks
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    First off, don't waste money on K&N or exhaust modifications. It just may be your driving conditions have changed, or the car isn't broken in enough.

FWIW, I have two Camrys, a 2004 and a 2005. Both have the same 2.4-cylinder engine, but the older one has a 4-speed auto and the latter has a 5-speed. The overall "grand average" gas mileage on the newer one is 25.8 mpg, starting from day one (the car now has 39K miles). The older one has an overall average of 28.0 since about 29K miles (it now has 62K miles). The difference is the older one is driven longer distances every day.
  • mcpoppopmcpoppop Member Posts: 1
    hi all,
    I just purchased a 2010 Camry XLE w/ the 4 cylinder engine. I always do my own oil changes but am having trouble finding the oil filter wrench for the new 2.5 engine that uses the disposable element filter. The dealer says it's $70+ for the "Toyota special tool" Anybody out there have an alternate source and specs on what size it is. TIA :confuse:
    Did you know the filter for the 2009 Camry Hybrid is the exact same one for a John Deere X500 riding mower!
    I have a Camry LE 1996 that I've been able to fold down the rear seat and put my rode bike in. I was looking at the 2010 and the opening from the trunk into the inside looked smaller. Will I be able to put a rode bike in the trunk with the back seat folded down?

tia,
    Chris
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Do you think many people know what size your rode bike is? You looked at it, and you know your bike. If you can't answer the question, then you're going to need to take your bike to the dealership if that is a showstopper decision for you.
    I've been coming across posts about the 2010 camry having interior plastic issues. I've test driven the 2010 and didn't notice any quality flaws but then I was only in it for 20 minutes. What flaws are people referring to? they do mention the seat in some of them.

tia,
    Chris
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Do you mean road bike? ;)
    I measured the opening in my 96' Camry and it was 13" where the seats fold down, measured from inside the trunk. Does anyone know what the 2010 measurement is?

tia,
    Chris
    Does anyone know if there is a difference in Splashguards between 2009 and 2010 Camry?
  • acesk8eracesk8er Member Posts: 16
    I'm shopping for a new vehicle and the 2010 Camry SE V6 is in the running. I test drove the 2009 version and noticed that there was a huge throttle response lag. I Googled around and found that this has been a problem in the past few model years and that it was mitigated somewhat with software updates.

Has this problem been corrected in the 2010 version?

Does the 2010 actually have a Slip Control / Traction Control switch that can turn SC/TC off and what is the effect on the throttle response?

Are three any of the transmission issues that plagued the 2007 version?

This is a great forum, thanks in advance for replies.
    Before you jump on a Camry, give the Fusion a go around, The Camry does not hold a candle to the Fusion. I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid, and the quality, fit and finish, along with comfort level in the Fusion is so much better that I wish I had one of those instead. The seat material in the Camry is not what I would expect it to be, in fact there is a lot material wise that I expected to be better than it is. To me the seat in the Fusion fits nicely, and is more comfortable than the Camry, and from what I have read so far, there haven't been many changes in the 2010 Camry over the 2009.

Not to besmirch the Camry too much, but the Fusion happens to be a very hot competitor now. Give it a look, you may be pleasantly surprised, I know I was.
This discussion has been closed.