Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    integrated satellite radio, (not satellite ready), does mean it is ready to receive satellite..be aware that on the early release 2010 camrys, the jbl's came only with satellite ready setups meaning you still had to get a satellite receiver...recently built models do have the integrated tuner but double check the window sticker on the specific car you want to buy...
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I'm about to take a test drive in a V6 Camry. I remember seeing a number of posts a year or two back when the first of this generation, the '07 model, came out, from owners experiencing transmissions that didn't shift properly. I haven't followed this thread since then. Do you all feel that Toyota has put that problem behind them?

If this dealer has both '09 and '10 V6 models in stock, will there be any significant differences in the cars?

Thanks very much for your guidance.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Aren't the alloys a factory option rather than a dealer-installed accessory? If so, the former would be the way to go.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Does anyone know if Toyota had resolved the problems with the 6-speed automatic transmission in the V6 of the 2010 camry? I know it was a major problem with the 07 and 08 models. If anyone with a 2009 camry 6-speed automatic transmission I would love to know if your having problems or not?
  • kfrohlichkfrohlich Member Posts: 6
    Jason,
    I also live in Houston and am interested in buying a 2010 Camry, LE, V6.
    Could you please email me the following?
    The model and price of your 2010 Camry.
    List of all the fees and the amount
    List of all taxes and the amount

My email address: kkhuu@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.
    Kenny
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    I'm looking at the XLE, 4 cylinder. One dealer says I can get smart key, the other says it's only available on the V6. What's the real answer?
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Check the Toyota Website, build your own. You can get exactly what answers you need from there. The cars are all built off of packages, and I think the SmartKey is part of a specific package for all models except the low end. It is standard in the Hybrids. Just because they are a dealership, doesn't mean they know everything on a car. If you build a car on the website with the options you want, then you can print that out and take it to the dealer and say, this is what I am looking for.

Speaking of Smart key, don't do like I did this morning. We normally drive the Camry Hybrid everyday, so I automatically grab the key for that and put it in my pocket. Today we took the Hyundai instead, I didn't grab the key for it, but my wife has both in her purse, so the car started, I drop her off at her office, and drive the 4 miles to mine, shut off the car, and decided to restart it to check something, when it wouldn't start I realized I didn't have the key. DOH!!! :cry: :mad:
  • rlongwellrlongwell Member Posts: 6
    Check the sticker for what? what wording will tell?
    The sticker will list whether or not the XM/Sirius receiver is installed. There will be a $400 or so charge. The JBL system is XM ready, meaning it has a SAT button, but that doesn't mean the receiver is installed.

If there is a package that includes the receiver, it will be listed on the right hand side under the package details. It will not be listed under standard items.
  • atb2atb2 Member Posts: 30
    All good. Speaking of cruise control, a number of cars I've driven (including the Sonata) indicate "cruise set" on the dash with the system fully engaged. Nice safety feature imo.
  • chris789chris789 Member Posts: 37
    Is there a noticable improvement between the standard radio and the JBL? I don't care about having the cd player take more than 1 disc. I only listened to the standard radio and it sounded fine.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    I haven't purchased a base 2010 Camry yet. Still looking around. Also, considering the Accord LX Auto. I can tell you that the Camry(base model) and Honda Accord LX should be very close in pricing. There is no reason the two vehicles should be far apart.
    Have you considered the Fusion? You really need to NIX the idea that the [non-permissible content removed] cars are better than domestics. Give the fusion a once over then decide. After owning a Camry for a year, I think they are over rated. If I were to trade up to a Fusion Hybrid from my Camry hybrid, the only thing I would miss would be the smart key. The ford was more comfortable than the Camry for both me and the wife.

Then again, if you really want a Camry, I can sell you my 09 Hybrid for $24K, and I can go buy the Ford! :D
  • idlhidlh Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the two are very close in price but I do favor the 2010 Camry. The Safety Rating is 9,9 and the Reliability rating is 10. These two items I feel are most important and often overlooked. Vehicle looks are important as well and there will always be compromise, but safety and reliabilty are two areas I would rather not compromise.
    Where did you see the Reliability rating is 10 for the 2010 model? Consumer reports gives the 2009 model an average rating.
    very recently, within last few weeks, integrated satellite receiver is now included on the jbl if you order from the factory, most vehicles on the lot probably were built before this recent change so they would need a dealer add on of the satellite receiver...
    Most expert reviews of the jbl system are very favorable..the edmonds review of it a couple years ago stated it was one of the best sounding systems for a car under 30K..I briefly compared both and the difference on fm radio didn't seem huge..the std stereo sounded pretty good to me but then it could be my hearing...probably best to check both yourself on the dealers lot..all the xle's have jbl...at least toyota offers it on the le versions..on most competitors models, you have to pay thousands extra for a higher level trim line just to be able to get an upgraded stereo at extra cost...
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    Fusion looks very nice but I never even drove it. In the owners manual it says THIS VEHICLE MAY NOT BE USED FOR TOWING. A few times a year I have to tow 1000 lbs or less. The Camry is rated at 1000 lbs in the handbook. Deal breaker for me.
    I have read so many reviews I can't tell you where I saw it but the 2010 gets higher marks than the 2009 - I think this is because the 2007 transmission issues have worked their way out of 2010 ratings but are still affecting the 2009 ratings.
    1000 pounds is not much at all in the way of towing capacity. That weight includes trailer weight and cargo. Towing with a FWD car is not really a good thing, and I can see why it has such a low limit. Since FWD uses the front wheels for traction and steering, when you load the rear up, you lighten the load on the front reducing traction and steering. Most trailers alone weigh in at 500+ pounds, leaving you with very little cargo capacity, making it very easy to overload the tow vehicle and make it unsafe for driving. The safest method of "towing" in a FWD vehicle is with a cargo carrier that attaches to the hitch instead of pulling a trailer, making it very easy to carry more cargo, yet limiting the weight of the cargo to safe weights that the car is designed to handle.

I have a 2009 TCH, and I would not even consider towing anything with it, ever! I also have a 2008 Veracruz, and even though it has a tow rating of class III(not sure the weight rating), I still wouldn't consider towing anything other than the cargo carrier. For towing anything over 1000 pounds, I have an F350 for that. I used to drive 18 wheelers, have a ton of miles under my belt, and have seen too many incidents where someone overloaded their vehicle with a trailer and caused a crash, injuring someone, or worse yet, lost the trailer due to overloading the hitch and killed someone.

Ford is just CYA with towing, you could find a hitch for one and tow something with it, but for liability purposes, Ford says, don't do it.
    Reading my message I see I wasn't clear. It was a deal breaker on the Fusion - not the Camry. We own a sailboat that weighs 650 lbs - the trailer is another 250. We have to tow it on level ground for about six miles twice a year and often there is another vehicle available to do this duty - but still we would rather have the capability in a pinch than buy a vehicle without the capacity to do the job. The other duty the car has to perform is to tow less than 500 lbs on a more frequent basis, an aluminum row boat and trailer whose combined weight is under 500, and the occasional haul of very light props for the odd craft show here and there - weight around 500-700 trailer included. This light duty rules out Fusion=0 , Civic=0 , Sonata= 500, Elantra=750 (1500 if you have trailer brakes) Jetta=0 and Prius=0. Camry and Accord will do 1000 without voiding your warranty.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The most danger, the GREATEST danger, from towing comes if you need stop or slow quickly or on a low tractive surface, FWD, F/awd, and to a lessor extent even RWD.

The effect is called Jack-Knifing, the braking effect is in front of a significant portion of the load while at the same time the inertia of the "tow" shifts the weight onto the rear bumper thereby "lifting" the front of your vehicle....no stearing control.

In your case while the load is not very heavy remember that the effects of that weight get multiplied significantly in teh above conditions.

Add trailer brakes as good insurance, LIFE insurance.
    These are new for this year - should I be worried about these? Doesn't this change really almost constitute a new model, rather than a refresh? Should there be concerns about reliability or do most people feel pretty good about these changes?
    I've test driven them - they are quiet, smooth, seem to have plenty of power, But will it last 20 years? (or at least 5-6?)
    Within a few years, maybe only one, you'll be wanting to trade your "new" Camry for a DFI engine with muchly improved FE and to avoid the horrid shiftiness of these new 6/9 speed automatics in favor of a SMOOTH "shifting" CVT.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    wwest...Hard to believe a fanbelt type CVT, will last anywhere near a common gear on gear metal transmission.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I think the 2.5 liter has been used in other cars, right? How about the transmission?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I thought the 2.5L was new for this year, in the RAV4 and the 2010 Camry.
    Metal link "fanbelt", but yes, that seems to be the way things are moving.

No more blown engines from downshifting a bit too far.

And how many of us nowadays really know how to shift a manual....??

Or even want too..??
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Just did a little research - the 2008 Rav got this 2.5L engine, and the 2009 Rav still has it. The 2010 Camry is the first year that the Camry is getting this engine. I just wonder now about the transmissions. I
    Toyota CVT is neither belt, nor chain driven. There are quite a few variances of CVT transmissions, ranging from two cones to the ECVT of the Synergy Hybrid System. The Toyota system is actually a set of planetary gears, not a belt and cone setup as most think of the CVT setup. The non hybrid version is pretty close to the hybrid system, it just doesn't have electric motors installed, and the input/output sections are different, the base unit is the same though. For overall fuel efficiency you just cant beat the CVT transmission, for power though, you still cant beat a geared transmission. Still to this day, you really cant have both unless its a diesel.
    While the E/cvt is the functional equivalent of an actual CVT it really isn't. Toyota tends to refer to it as a PSD, Power Split Device. More like an old Analog Computer from my standpoint.

"...for power though.."

Power is a function of the engine and/or the lowest gear reduction ratio in the context of torque to the roadbed. Do you have information indicating that 1st gear in a geared transmission is lower than with a traditional CVT...??
    Bought a new 2010 Camry LE under the CARS program. I feel pretty good about the engine as the new 2.5 4 cyl went into late year 2008, and 2009 RAV4's. That model is getting Much Better than Average Ratings. The transmission remains the only real question mark. In two test drives I thought it shifted very smoothly and the manual mode paddle shifting worked really well. So hopefully the issues of the 2007 tranny's (more problems in the V6 versions) are a thing of the past and I will be able to drive this boring, rather no frills car trouble free for many years. The plastic interior looks about the same as what was in my old 4Runner. That cheap plastic held up pretty well for 15 years... I thought it handled well, but I'm 57! Very quiet, roomy, seats felt comfy, stock sound system was pretty decent, trunk is cavernous with 40/60 folding seats - tows up to 1000 lbs, got the color I wanted.
    The 2.5 4 cyl. has a timing chain not a belt.

There is no (easy) owner/operator way to check or fill the automatic transmission fluid - no dipstick. Apparently you have to gain access to fluid through some inspection point on the transmission. They said all Toyotas are built this way now.

Don't forget to get your splash guards in your deal - (like I did!) Never thought about it until I picked the car up.
    Does anyone know how manu cubic inches the Camry LE 4 Cylinder 2010 is? My insurance company is asking and I've searching the web and even the toyota website but not able to find this information.

Thanks,
    Chris
    The toyota website tells you the # liters of both the 4 cylinder, and 6 cylinder engine. Convert liters to cubic inches, and you have your answer. Liters is a volume (metric), and cubic inches is a volume.
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    There is no way to check the Auto Transmission fluid? How does one check the level or condition of the fluid?
    My 2004 Ford is that way as well. No transmission dipstick or filler up in the engine compartment. And I know that the vehicle engine and transmission have to be cold when they do anything with the fluid. The fill procedure requires a certain temperature, so that the right fluid level is obtained.
    I just got a new Camry 2010 and the dealer filled up the tank and I saw the gas level as being full. The indicator is almost to the half way mark and I haven't even gone 200 miles. For a tank that holds 18 gallons thats going to give me approx 22 mpg. I was hoping I would get better gas mileage. Does the 2nd half of the gauge go down slower?
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I read extensive articles on Wards website, you know the one that puts out the Wards 10 Best Engines lists; if you want a well made/reliable V4 your better off going with a toyota because their 4 cylinders are supposed to be top notch; the V6's on the other hand are not; if you really want a reliable V6 engine your better off getting a nissan; the V6 engines in the altima and maxima have been on Wards list for many years now and are considered supper reliable!! it all depends really if you want a 4 or 6 cylinder; the 6 cylinder nissan's are actually more reliable than there V4 counterparts; I'm making a overall generalization based on everything I've read; thats not to say a few people won't have a problem with a nissan V6 or many people won't have a problem with a toyota V6
    Reliable, Toyota, and V4 don't go together in the same sentence.

Saab used to have an early 70's vintage V4, right when they shifted from 2 cycle to 4 cycle....and that certainly wasn't reliable. Most everything else 4 cylinder currently produced, is I think an inline i4.
  • acefan42acefan42 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 toyota camry and I added contacts to the system by voice, but when one of my friends call, the display on my radio shows the number and "unknown caller."
    My question is: How do I add a name so that my contacts name shows up on the display?

Thank you
    You don't.

If the calling party has opted out of the caller id program your phone doesn't recieve the calling number.
    Hi,

I bought a Camry XLE 2010 last week and I'm truly impressed.

The display shows among other things MPG since last fillup. I topped it off today
    so that I can see what I get for gas mileage and the display's MPG did not change. How long before I truly get an accurate MPG? I thought it would reset upon refill.

Thanks!
    Read the owners manual about resetting. In most vehicles when you reset the trip mileage, the avg mpg is reset.
  • aqibshahaqibshah Member Posts: 1
    My dealer ordered Camry SE 2010 manual for me around JUL 3rd week, does any one know how much time Toyota George Town (Kentucky) Plant takes to deliver a car once order have been placed. I really appreciate the help.
    I reset both Trip A and Trip B to zero. No change, still says the same as it did before I reset. I'll check and see if anything specific about resetting in the manual.
    Yeah, nothing in the manual specifically about resetting the mpg per tankful to zero on filling up at the gas station, and I did set both trip odometers A and B to zero at the time. It just picked up where it was before the fillup and started calculating from there?? hm...
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    You can't determine gas mileage based on the position of the fuel gage. The fuel gage is just an estimate. Also the tank may not have been completely full. I would worry too much about this tank and begin tracking with the next fill-up. Remember it takes a few thousand miles for the engine to break-in.
    The computer is an estimate at best. The best method is to fill up the tank - set the trip meter to 0 - when you fill up the next time, divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons you just put in the tank. My first trip in my 2010 LE 4 cyl took me 399 miles on 12.23 gallons for 32.6 mpg. This was about 33/33/33 city, two lane highway, and interstate. Cruise was turned on a little bit, mostly just to make sure it worked. I drove so as to vary the engine rpm as much as possible most miles were driven at 65 mph and below, a few times up to 80 and as much as 4000 rpm in short segments. Car wants to drive at just below 2000 rpm most of the time though unless you force the issue by using the transmission in manual mode. Based on this I expect to exceed 35 mpg on interstate trips when I drive like I usually do. Cool! - the 2.5 i4 is a strong engine too - I don't really miss the big V6 I had in my ten year old Infiniti - this engine has everything you need for merging and getting around tractor trailers. Very quiet and fairly nimble too. I'm pretty happy so far.
    When doing the per tank method, for a better idea of what the car is doing, average it out over at least 5 tanks or more. This is becasue you will never get the same fill twice, it will always be different due to the pump, the temperature, the humidity, where you top it off, how much goes in with each click, etc. After dividing by 5 tanks of gas, you will have a more accurate assessment of the MPG. With my Hybrid, I write down the miles off the trip, the gallons I put in, and the the price. About every 6 months I put all that into a spreadsheet and calculate my fuel costs, and my MPG. I then use those numbers and compare them to my other vehicle and what my savings are compared to if I drove the Veracruz everyday instead of the Camry Hybrid. I need to get around to that, it's been at least 6 months since the last time I did that.
  • bird12bird12 Member Posts: 1
    Does the 6 cylinder ride better and steer easier than the 4 cylinder?
This discussion has been closed.