Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
edited October 2014 in Toyota
The 2009s have been out for a few months and the updated 2010 model may be here in less than a year. They current style hasn't been updated since it was introduced in 2006 and is due for a styling update in the next model year.

Is there any news or rumors on the 2010 Toyota Camry yet?

Maybe a new 4 cylinder engine, standard stability control, interior and exterior updates, better nav system etc.?

Comments

• prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    Camry was introduced in early 2006 as 2007 model so it will not have any major upgrades atleast until 2012 model. They might add standard safety features and new color choices.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    No, it should be completely replaced by the 2012 model, but updated for 2010.
    They almost always make an update by the 4th model year. How "major" it is varies, but is generally a lot more than just new paint colors. The 2010 will be the fourth year of this body style.
    Look at the 2005 Camry vs the 2002-2004 models.

The absolute minimum you can expect is standard VSA on most if not all models and a minor styling update (maybe new grill, headlights, tail lights etc.).
    Maybe they will update or replace the 2.4 liter engine that's kind of old and address some complaints about interior quality.

The 2010 will probably be released earlier than average next year otherwise there was no point in making the 2008 Camry model year extremely short and releasing the 2009 Camry so early this year when there were no changes between 2008 and 2009 models.

I could see them adding some features seen on the 2009 Corolla such as pre-wiring the satellite radio antenna from the factory and making XM standard with the JBL.
    There are also lots of complaints about the nav system being substandard vs the Honda's because there is little you or the front passenger can do with it while the car is in motion (even with the voice commands).
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The upcoming Venza will get an all new 2.7L I4 engine pumping out around 190 to 200 HP. My bet is the next generation Camry will get this as the base engine. I don't think the 2010 will get the 2.7 liter engine although it is possible they will tweak the current 4 cylinder to produce an extra 10 hp or so to keep it competitive with the competition's 4 cylinder engine. The most likely change for the 10 model will be some cosmetic appearance change.
    Even a cosmetic change (different front and rear end caps) and widespread availability or standard VSC, factory installed XM etc. could be a nice improvement.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Yea, I don' believe they will make any major changes besides refreshing the headlights or tail light and the grill. Compare the 94 to 95 camry, or the 99 to 00 camry, or the 04 to 05 camry. All of they major changes are very minor. They may make some things standard like VSC. Also, as I said early some minor cosmetic changes.
    No, they did more than only minor cosmetic changes. The 3.3 liter V6 became available.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    ... the platform's and the engines generally have 10 yr lives.

92-01 vehicles were about the same size
    02-11 vehicles will all be about the same size

However with the lukewarm reception to the Accord's size increase ( almost Avalon ) I wonder if Toyota will grow the Camry any further. I hope not.

2.2L I4 ran from 92 to 01
    3.0L V6 ran from ?? to 06 ( the 3.3L was a modified 3.0L )
    2.4L I4 should run from 02 to 11
    3.5L V6 should run from 07 to 16

These would be the SOP runs. The Venza with the 2.7L will be out as an 09 but I'd guess the Camry keeps the 2.4L through MY 2011. It makes the Venza that much more attractive. It sets it apart. Valvematic additions across the board are likely additions in all models at that time frame.

Then there's the THS 3 options.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    With advent of teh new CAFE we may begin to see more rapid acceptance of new engine technologies such as DFI, miller cycle, and maybe even "simple" engine compression braking.
    It's still possible they could add the 2.7 for 2010 as long as they're building it for the Venza anyway especial if it would get the same or better fuel economy.
    People thought they wouldn't put the 3.5 in the Camry since the competition was only using 3 liter engines and so the Avalon could be further differentiated, but they were surprised when that engine did appear in the 2007 Camry.
    about the size of the Camry and the size of the Accord? The Camry has gotten bigger and bigger every 10 yrs ever since it came out. Its due to get bigger again with the next Gen.
    Is it an optical illusion or does the 2007 + Camry looks smaller than the 2002-2006 Camry? I don't think Toyota will increase the size of the next gen. Camry. My 2003 is about as big a car as I and probably most people need and want a mid size car to be. And given high gas prices I would imagine improving fuel efficiency would be a greater priority than increasing size or power.
    Yes it is an optical illusion that this Gen seems smaller than the previous Gen. Actually they are exactly the same size. I think the curvy lines makes it seem smaller.

I agree about the size. I think it's as big as it should get especially since the Avalon is already larger. It's due for something significant but just what I can't imagine other than the 2.7L and a sheetmetal overhaul.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    It's not an optical illusion. This generation Camry is smaller than the previous gen. The roof line was lowered, the trunk shrunk so you have more "useable" space in the interior, etc,etc,..
    Mack

Now if we would have gotten this instead of what we got we would probably sell more!
    I think they could replace the 2.4 four cylinder with 5-speed automatic with the 2.7 with a CVT like the one already being used for the Camry Hybrid.
    That could give better performance without hurting fuel economy. Maybe it would even add an mpg or 2.

It might be a bit much of a change for the 2010 MMC, but not impossible. I would definitely expect this by the 2012 fully redesigned Camry though.
    One thing they should do is update the interior with better quality.
    At this point the 2008 Accord and 2009 Sonata have interiors that seem to be better quality. The Malibu has a some cheap interior parts, but is still overall slightly nicer quality in the interior than the current Camry.

If they did an upgrade in quality on 2010s similar to you Hyundai upgraded the 09's interiors, that would make the Camry a bit more attractive even with few "new" features for 2010. They need to spend a bit more care making sure trim pieces fit together properly and are padded to prevent rattles.
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    Ideally, I'd like to see the following for the 2010 model. Most of these changes are reasonably easy to implement (except perhaps for 2.7L engine and C pillar blind spot). Of course, keeping cost down will be an issue.

- Leave the 2.4L in the 4cyl models (except SE 4cyl) and improve gas mileage (instead of bumping up hp/torque)
    - 4 cyl SE: use the larger engine 2.7L engine
    - 4 cyl LE: make alloy rims standard
    - 4/6 cyl SE - make sun/moonroof + spoiler standard
    - 6 cyl - improve gas mileage (instead of bumping up hp/torque)
    - Interiors: change the ugly plastic "silver" to stainless steel or aluminum or similar
    - Please Please Please fix the blind spot caused by the passenger side rear C pillar!
    - LED brake lights for all models
    - Keyless ignition on all models
    - VSC on all models
  • lauflauf Member Posts: 6
    I do think horsepower should be raised w/o compromising fuel economy. The four cylinders especially need a raise in horsepower. I don't think making rims on the LE will happen perhaps better looking wheel covers and making rims standard on the LE V6 models. I think it would be smart for Toyota to offer what Honda has offered on the Accord the LX-P model. I see the new 2008 Accord with the LX-P as the mainstream model. I haven't seen any LX models driving around except sitting in dealer lots where I live. Perhaps if Toyota makes this move it'll be a smart choice considering the LX-P Accord is.

I would really like to see interior quality improved.

*More cupholders even the new Corolla has eight now including door pockets.
    *Silver color interior to be changed to a darker silver with more detail such as aluminum. (The Accord in other countries has the matte black steel look which I think looks appealing.)
    *Perhaps a little 2.5 inch screen displaying rearview when backing out. (New Highlander and future facelifted Tacoma have it.)
    *LED tailights I noticed just about every facelift from Toyota now includes LED tailights.
    *Get rid of those nasty seatback plastic pockets that just screams GM cheapness!!! My old 06 Camry had nice cloth seatback pockets.
    *Active front headrests the Camry would be rated above the Accord for safety if it only had this useful safety feature.
    *Better seat fabrics in the CE and LE something more modern and appealing looking. I like that fraichir material in the XLE but I guess that's too expensive to produce.
    *XLE V6 with cloth should be reintroduced not many people like leather. And i'm sure itll sell well with that fraichir material.
  • seatoyotasalesseatoyotasales Member Posts: 36
    Just saw some of the changes going in place for the 2010 Camry and although I can't remember them all right now, here are the highlights.

NEW 180HP 2.5 4 Cyl engine mated to a 6 speed automatic.
    New rear tail lights (probably LED's) front grill and headlights.
    Smart key available on more models including the SE
    Two new colors, a green and a tan/beige
    New wheel designs
    XM radio standard on JBL sound systems.
    Active Headrests standard.

Production to begin in Feb 09
    that will be great if it is really true . but what is your source for the information ?
    I work in sales at Toyota and there is info on our internal website. Tells the changes on ALL the 2010 models in a pretty cool powerpoint presentation. There were a few more changes on the 2010 Camry but I can't remember them all.
    "NEW 180HP 2.5 4 Cyl engine mated to a 6 speed automatic."

The big news here is NOT the engine but the fact that someone has figured out that a 6 speed transmission mated to a 4 Cyl is better optimization relatively than with a 6 Cyl.

Makes me almost want to move to Tucson so I could own/drive a Camry with reasonable safety.
    Thanks for sharing the info. Any idea what the gas mileage will be for the 4cyl Auto SE or LE? Hopefully 40+ mpg Hwy with the 6 speed transmission.

Edit: oops, sorry, the question is directed at seatoyotasales
    No idea about gas mileage. I was too excited just watching for all the upcoming changes. I wish they would change up the colors a bit more including a darker blue and a different red other than Barcelona Red. But the other changes I mentioned are enough to keep a lot of people happy!
    I agree about the Barcelona Red - they need a deep dark red instead of the Barcelona Red. The other changes are very exciting, especially the 6spd auto trans. I assume this is the same transmission that is used in the Lexus lineup. Anyone know of the reliability of this tranny? The older 5 speed is very reliable when mated with the 4cyl - not so much with the V6.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    What about manual transmissions - I am hoping for a 6 speed manual?
    BTW, did Toyota redesign the rear "C" pillar to remove/reduce the blind spot?
    No, no redesign of the C pillar as this is just a refresh and not a full body change. Getting new front grill and lower fascia, headlights with projector beamw, new tail lights, and VSC standard.
    Glad to hear that VSC will be standard. The Camry is getting better and better. I hope the new 4cyl+6spd auto will offer 40+ mpg. Too bad about the C pillar blind spot. Hopefully the interior plastic will be upgraded as well. The "silver" plastic around the radio looks and feels very cheap. My mom has a 2007 LE auto and is very happy with it.

We drove the Accord and were not impressed. Accord was smaller, louder engine, more road noise and noisy front shock/absorber system. It creaked over speed bumps at very low speed!
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    do you remember what's equipped on this 2.5L engine?
    VVT-i? or Dual VVT-i? or Valvematic?
    Nothing was stated in the items I read, just a "New 2.5 180hp 4 cyl" engine with a 6 speed auto trans.
  • lauflauf Member Posts: 6
    Hey seatoyotasales thanks for keeping us informed about the facelift. I'm having more faith in this facelift and hope Toyota also addresses quality issues.
  • gks1gks1 Member Posts: 1
    Please let us know about the gas mileage when you find out. If the 2010 Camry will get 40 mpg then I know of 4 or 5 potential buyers just in my extended family alone. My aunt's '08 corolla is getting 40mpg Highway with a 4 speed transmission, so hopefully the new Camry will do the same or better.
    It probably won't be until at least February of 09 that we know any gas mileage ratings etc. Car is scheduled to start production in Feb or Mar of 09
  • mayowmayow Member Posts: 1
    Toyota is pretty smart. It wouldn't surprise me if the 2010 LE hit 40+mpg. Edmunds says that the new Prius may hit 100mpg. If that is true, the 2010 Camry hybrid could give over 50mpg. With the new Chevy Volt coming out in 2 years, Toyota is really going to crank up the mpg numbers on all of its cars. We are also thinking of buying a Camry or Camry Hybrid next year. MPG is our major concern right now even if gas prices come down temporarily.
    Oh ya, I forgot...2010 Camry SE will be offered with the Smart Key. Only available on the XLE up to this point.
  • premonitionpremonition Member Posts: 1
    Is there a possibility that the Camry's with V6's HP can be bumped to 270+ or 280 to match the altima or 09 Maximas?
  • phd86phd86 Member Posts: 110
    "Please let us know about the gas mileage when you find out. If the 2010 Camry will get 40 mpg then I know of 4 or 5 potential buyers just in my extended family alone. My aunt's '08 corolla is getting 40mpg Highway with a 4 speed transmission, so hopefully the new Camry will do the same or better. "

I wouldn't hold my breath - unless they reduce the size to that of auntie's corolla; camrys need to get to 30 mpg before they get to 40 mpg, which they haven't yet. This rumbling that extra gears in an automatic transmission translate into better mileage is worrisome, especially since, in my experience, their 4 speeds do significantly better than any of their 5 speed transmissions that have been standard since 2005. Be wary. There are all sorts of claims of 2003+ camrys getting 30+mpg and just because you read it here doesn't mean you will get it. Don't buy a car based on what people claim on the internet. Go drive it 1,000 miles and see for yourself....the results will be educational to say the least.
    The advantage of a CVT, Continously Variable Transmission, is that regardless of roadspeed, engine load, etc, the engine/transaxle ECU will be able to keep the engine RPM right on the "cusp" between just barely having enough torque output for the situation and not.

So the more gear ratios you have, within reason, the closer you can get to the FE of a CVT.

DFI is already in use in many of today's engines, allowing FE to be improved via lean burn mixtures AND higher compression engines, ~12:1 typically.
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    I would guess that with Lithium-Ion batteries and perhaps a smaller engine that the Camry Hybrid would be able to reliably provide 40 MPG. I do better than 40 now on trips, but can't get that in suburban driving.

It's not going to happen with a conventional gasoline engine, especially with people still clamoring for "more power".
  • limasawalimasawa Member Posts: 3
    Why do we have so few 4 cylinder engine choices in American Japanese cars? Why not give us a choice of smaller more efficient 4 cyl engines rather than only increasing the displacement and hp while trying to (mostly) hold mpg constant? Corollas in Asia used to have choices of 4 cyl engines - 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8. Not here. Always and only bigger in America?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Oh, so now you've moved into another thread with allegations that the current and last generations of the Camry 4-cylinder can't get over 30 mpg.

This is hogwash, low 30s on the highway at posted 65-70 mph speed limits is no sweat for my 2005 4-cylinder with the 5-speed auto, and my 2004 with the same engine but the older 4-speed auto is capable of mid to upper 30s. I know you've argued with me and everyone else about the validity of such claims, but I stand by my measurements (calculated by miles driven divided by gallons to fill; the trip computer on the '05 is wildly optimistic). Put up your e-mail address in your profile and I'll send my spreadsheets.

OTOH, 40 mpg is a stretch I'd think unless you go a constant 50-55 on a level road. I highly doubt the 2010 will have any significant engine changes.

For the other poster regarding the V6, aren't 263 horses more than enough?
  • phd86phd86 Member Posts: 110
    "Oh, so now you've moved into another thread with allegations that the current and last generations of the Camry 4-cylinder can't get over 30 mpg.

This is hogwash, low 30s on the highway at posted 65-70 mph speed limits is no sweat for my 2005 4-cylinder with the 5-speed auto, and my 2004 with the same engine but the older 4-speed auto is capable of mid to upper 30s. I know you've argued with me and everyone else about the validity of such claims, but I stand by my measurements (calculated by miles driven divided by gallons to fill; the trip computer on the '05 is wildly optimistic). Put up your e-mail address in your profile and I'll send my spreadsheets.

OTOH, 40 mpg is a stretch"

It sounds like you're agreeing with me (4 spd outperforms 5 spd, 40 mpg a stretch) at least in part. I'll keep this short....remind me, didn't you post theterm efficiency at something like 28 mpg on your 2004? That's still pretty good. I would say mine is something like 22-24 mpg (mixed).
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, my running average from 29K to its current 53K miles on the '04 Camry (continuous records) is 28.0 mpg. The average from new up to 15K miles was 27.3 mpg. The gap represents the period my son had the car in Los Angeles and didn't keep records. Worst believable mpg on that car is around 23 mpg, and best is 38 mpg. I'm aware of not completely filling the tank and discounting fills where only small amounts (say 6 gallons or less) are added to "top up".

On the '05, I have complete records from new up to its current 32K miles. Worst believable is 20 mpg, best is 35 mpg. We've taken enough long-distance trips (including a 2400-mile round trip to Florida this past spring) to count on 32 mpg on the highway, using cruise and keeping to the speed limit. Also included in this trip was a 602-mile run on a single tank -- meeting your challenge -- where I refilled with 18.53 gallons, yielding (surprise!) 32+ mpg.

I have the records; just put your e-mail up temporarily on your profile and you can check them out yourself.
    Sorry, I don't buy the argument that a 4 speed gives better mileage than a 5 speed. All else being equal, the extra weight of the 5 speed does not significantly decrease the mileage. If anything, the ratio of the gears helps increase mileage. Think of the "gears" (cassette/chain rings) on a bicycle. A 15 speed (gear) bike has many advantages over a 3 speed - better ratios going up/down hill, speed on straightway, etc. The 15 speed actually increases efficiency as the rider has to use less energy, can "get the power" as needed, etc. I agree that for cars, adding extra gears may have diminishing returns at some point. I don't think this is the case with adding one more gear though (i.e. 6 speed vs 5 speed). I think Mercedes has an 8-speed transmission in development, which seems to be overkill (why not CVT?). Note that the article in the link mentions an increase in fuel savings, even with an increase in gears from 6 speed to 8 speed. Increase in power to weight ratio is also discussed.

For the record, we have quite a few Toyotas in our extended family. One is a '98 Corolla VE 3-speed auto, another is a '98 Corolla CE 4-speed auto. Both are similarly equipped and driven very conservatively and are shared by family members. Both are extremely well maintained and have just over 100K each. The 3-speed VE gets 32mpg mixed mileage while the 4-speed CE gets about 35mpg. Note that the cars are shared, so driving style is not a significant issue in this particular family.

I've read your postings in the mileage forum. My mom's 2007 Camry LE 4cyl auto gets about 36 mpg on Hwy driving only, at about 65mph. Yes, I tried it both ways (fill the tank up to the max vs stop at the first click). Both yielded similar results over a 1000+ miles total trip. As such, I don't think 40+mpg is a stretch for the 2010 Camry with 6 speed auto transmission. I will definitely buy one if mpg increases significantly with the 6speed. Unfortunately, as another poster pointed out, car makers in the U.S. try to keep the mpg constant while increase HP in new model years. I hope that changes in 2010. Toyota: We have enough power already! Please please please increase the MPG instead of power in the next models!
    Well if I remember what the training items said for us salespeople, the 2010 Camry will have a 2.5 4 cyl engine that puts out 180 HP, current one on the 09 model has 158 hp
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    My 2 cents, I think 2010 will have 2.7L as the Venza.
    It isn't just the number of gears but also the ratio of/and between gears that must be considered. For instance with the 4 speed only the top gear is likley to be an OD ratio and maybe the lockup clutch engages only in OD.

The newer 5 speed more likely uses the lockup clutch in 2 or even three of the higher gear ratios and with a 4 cylinder only the top gear is likley to be a true OD.

Obviously the 4 cylinder cannot remain in OD and/or with the lockup clutch engaged as much as would a 6 cylinder with a 5 speed. Let's acknowledge that the 5 speed in the 6 cylinder will not likely be as "low" geared overall as would be the 4 cylinder.

The bottom line is that with a 4 cylinder the top gear, OD, ratio in the 5 speed might very well be the same ratio as the top gear in the 4 speed. That would mean no real hwy FE advantage for the 5 speed.

Not such a simple equation as one might at first think.
    "Why not CVT..??"

CVT's cannot yet handle "higher" levels of HP/Torque.
    > The bottom line is that with a 4 cylinder the top gear, OD,
    > ratio in the 5 speed might very well be the same ratio as the
    > top gear in the 4 speed. That would mean no real hwy FE
    > advantage for the 5 speed.
    >
    > Not such a simple equation as one might at first think.

Excellent points wwest. That's why I stated "all else being equal". Obviously there are many variables to consider. Also, the top gear does not necessarily have to be the same ratio in your 4spd vs 5spd example. In the example I mentioned (2 '98 Corollas), I believe that the final gears in the 2 transmissions have different ratios as the 3 speed revs a lot higher at 65mp than the 4 speed does. Point taken though.

Back on topic: seatoyotasales thanks for the updates on the engine sizes. It's too bad that Toyota has chosen to go with the larger engine. MPG would have been a better choice for the consumer. I understand that Toyo has to compete with Honda, etc, but they should also balance the one upmanship with consumer needs. I rather see new technologies applied to the existing 4 cyl engine as it provides more than enough power for the average consumer. BTW, our family has owned several 4 cyl and 6 cyl Camrys (mostly 6 cyl) but this generation of Camrys (and very high gas prices) have convinced most of the family members that the 4 cyl is the better choice for our needs. For everyday use like commuting, it provides more Torque and HP than we need. MPG is the next major area of improvement for all automakers now.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    What about transmissions - I heard a rumor of a 6 speed manual.
This discussion has been closed.