Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No, they're about the same as far as ride and handling.
  • rlongwellrlongwell Member Posts: 6
    Well, yeah, I know all that, but I was thinking when they included this as part of the car's features it would do it autmatically and do it pretty well. Otherwise what's the point of having it as a feature? Anyone can figure it out via math. As I say, I filled up the tank after I bought it, and just before I did that, it said it was getting 15 MPG. And this car came to my local dealership via the interstate being driven 250 plus miles, since I was looking for a specific color they didn't have locally.

Refilling didn't change anything, but I have seen it steadily rise in the last week thereafter. Seems odd it didn't either reset to zero on fillup or change to whatever I got after a couple of miles after fillup. But we'll see what happens when I get closer to a quarter left.
  • skilauskilau Member Posts: 26
    I just bought a 2010 Camry LE V6 about 4 days ago (C4C deal)

The ride and "feel" felt the same to me when I test drove both of them.

What you COULD tell, was that the V6 had more "OOMPH", even with the more powerful 4 cyclinder they put in the 2010.
    (Kind of an obvious detail, huh?) =)

I just really liked how the V6 accelerated when I needed it to, so I decided to go with it.

BTW, the SE *defniitely* feels different than either the LE/XLE V6, so if you are pondering SE versus LE/XLE, you should definitely test drive both flavors before choosing.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    You've just bought the model I've recently test driven and am seriously considering buying. The light aloe green is my favorite color -- what did you get?

I asked the question a few weeks ago about the V6 models and the automatic transmission problems that some owners were having back in '07 when this generation first came on the market, to see if the problem has been solved, but got no responses.

I'd be very interested to hear of your experiences in owning and driving this car over the next few months, in terms of the transmission performance, to be sure it shifts smoothly.

Everything seemed fine on my test drive, and, like you, I really appreciated the extra power of a V6. Hope you enjoy you new car!
  • 07pilot4me07pilot4me Member Posts: 52
    could you elaborate on how the SE drove. thanks
    Sure!
    Let me prefix this by saying I am by no means a car expert or anything like that. =)

The SE drove much stiffer and you could "feel" the bumps on the ground a whole lot more.
    Its suspension sure felt a whole lot more like my truck that I was trading in, versus a 4 door sedan.

I was told that the SE was supposed to be more "sporty" (SE = Sport Edition???), and that was why it had a tighter feel to it.

I just felt that if I am going to buy a 4 door sedan, I wanted a smoother ride...

BTW, I was *REALLY* close to buying a 09 V6 Maxima, which I felt also drove as nice as the LE V6, and had the same, if not MORE power/OOMPH, but looked a whole lot sportier too...
    But the HUGE drawback for me was the *REQUIREMENT* of Premium fuel.
    Not recommended, but required!

Its one thing if I am buying a Vette, or a Beamer or something, but a Maxima? C'mon! You really have to wonder about those engineers designing the Maxima... Did they not see the $4+ gas just a year or so ago?
    Or perhaps they are hoping they can climb up to the sports car "genre" with this car?
    In any case, I passed on it, and went back to the Camry V6.
    Hi!
    I really wanted Black + Sunroof + upgraded sound system.
    None of the dealers had exactly what I wanted, except for 1, who had a Dark Red + Sunroof + upgraded sound system.

Normally of course, I would just go and have the dealer order exactly what I wanted, but the C4C stuff makes things a lot trickier.

One of the rules is, you have to have both VINs (the clunker AND the new car) at the time of the deal.

And since, if you order, you won't have the VIN for a couple weeks, the C4C just doesn't really work.
    So you are kind of limited to what each dealer has on the lot.

I don't really mind the red, as its exactly the same color as my truck I traded in.

So far the riding experience is great!

At mile 254 or so right now.

I am still in the "break in" period, so I can't really drive the way I generally like to drive.

I am really bad on the transmission, (and for that matter, gas milage), in that I like to speed off the gate no matter what.
    Its just one of those things. =)

I have NOT experienced what some other threads were suggesting, in that the transmission seems to delay your response to the pedal...

But again, since I am still in the break in period, I haven't really slammed on it yet. :P

But I can say this, you can tell there is a V6 in there. I am barely pressing on the pedal, and I am still going 70-75+.

It is going to take some time to get used to that.
    (Hopefully without getting some speeding tickets!)

I have been up to about 85 or so, but need to wait till this weekend to get on some of less busy freeways to try higher than that. :P

My Dakota could get up there in speeds, and then some, but you knew you were up there, because you had to really trounce on the gas.

I will keep posting back as time goes on, to let everyone know about any things I run into.

So far so good! =)
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    skilau,

Thanks for posting all that information about your new Camry. Sounds like you are enjoying it. That red is a nice color -- I see a lot of them on the road. Glad the transmission is shifting smoothly, as it should be.

Here's another question -- I've seen some posts about the dashboard lighting being unusual -- blue and green? How do you like it?
  • chris789chris789 Member Posts: 37
    I got rear ended and having the bumper replaced for my 2010 Camry LE. Has there been any design changes in the rear bumper since 2007. I want to make sure the body shop puts on the correct one for the 2010 model year.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • dovandovan Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Camry with a "naked" roof. I bought a kayak and would like to have roof rails installed so I can carry my kayak. Has anyone done this? How do I go about buying and installing an aftermarket set of roof rails? Thanks.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Google is your friend

try this on for size

I would doubt there's any change in the rear bumper system, but you can check with your Toyota dealer for parts numbers on the main items: cover, reinforcement bar, and foam insert.
  • ejaneejane Member Posts: 1
    I have been all over the internet looking for best way to get a price for a new Toyota Carmry v4 le model automatic... Seems to be around 19.7 and up.. Anyone know of a better source before I start dealer visits.. Not having a clunker leaves no extra discounts, the zero financing is a plus...
  • abhijit1abhijit1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2010 Camry LE AT 4dr sedan. Sunnyvale Toyota has quoted price 20480 (dest charge , floor + trunk carpet mat included). Is this a reasonable price?
  • mike_smithmike_smith Member Posts: 11
    Abhijit

The prices for 2010 Camry LE used to be in the range of 18500 +Tax and license about 2 weeks back. Currently due to C4C the prices are up and the dealers are making their share of the profit.

If you get a dealer to give you this car at 18500 (about 20,500 out of the door in CA) then go for it, otherwise i would suggest waiting a little bit and let the C4C program end before buying.
  • Mike_R1957Mike_R1957 Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2010 Camry LE on order and I was debating about the spoiler. I noticed today an older (but current body style) red camry with a more traditional style spoiler that is raised up with a gap between it and the trunk. Did Toyota change the style of the spoiler because I like the more traditional spoiler better than then small fin they have now that fits on the corner of the trunk?
    What you saw was probably a dealer installed option. dealers tend to do that. apart from that the spoiler that comes with toyota is the small fin at the corner of the trunk style that you are talking about.
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    For the East Coast this is a pretty good price - but California and Texas seem to have much better offers. Sticker price is about $22,650 for a bare bones LE I4 AT.
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    The last time I filled up - my light came on indicating low fuel with the needle was above empty by a small margin. When I filled it - it took 14.94 gallons to top it out and for the tank to register as (well above) full. My light is coming on with over 3.5 gallons in the tank? Is this what other people are seeing too? Is the tank smaller than advertised, does it just have a really big margin for low on fuel, or is my guage messed up? Car only has about 900 miles on it.

FWIW Got 32.6 mpg on first tank and 26 on second tank - second tank driven through a lot more variable driving speeds and conditions.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Normal. My TCH will show about 50 miles to empty when the light comes on, and even when down to 0 it still had about 2.5 left in the tank.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, normal.
    Perfectly normal. I have 2 Camrys and they both do the same thing as yours.
    Yes mine did the same when i took the car for a first refill after the low fuel light came on. i was expecting to pump in about 17 gallons but to my surprise it took only 15 gallons before the pump automatically cut off. So it looks like there is a lot of gas in reserve even after the low fuel light comes on.

Seems normal to me i think.
    I bought my 2010 Camry LE V6 a few weeks ago, and have filled up twice now.

After the low fuel light came on, I drove about 10 "extra" miles or so before filling up each time.

The 1st fill took 16.02 gallons, after driving 414 miles.
    With me kicking in perhaps .25 gallon more after the auto-shutoff occurred.

The 2nd fill took 16.19 gallons, after driving 416 miles.
    With me kicking in perhaps .25 gallon more after the auto-shutoff occurred.

(So far I am getting ~26mpg, with mostly city driving.)

Since these tanks are supposed to be 18.5 gallons, and I am getting a warning at 16 or so, we are looking about about a 2.5 gallon level...

Which in my case, leaves me with about 65 miles or so from the time the warning goes off, before I will be walking to the gas station... =)
    Hi Austinman7,

My inside color is a light gray.

All the lighting for me is a gray color too.
    Its almost dead on exactly the same color as my inside color of the fabric.

Now, I got the "middle flavor" style of the stero system, so it has the XM radio in it, but it is NOT the JBL. (Optional Equipment option "EX").

Even the color of the stereo lights is the same gray color.
    (Per the "EX" option, it has "Vacuum Flourescent Display", whatever that is)

It definitely is "different" light color-wise, but not horrible.
  • hoflax01hoflax01 Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased a 2010 LE in Barcelona Red on Saturday. It's 4 cyl 2.5 - What kind of fuel should i use - Regular,Mid grade or Premium? Also is there a break in period that I need to restrict speed. Thanks,Howard
    regular

Of course restrict speed, and easy on braking.
    under 70 ?
    The answers are in your owner's manual. The biggest thing is to vary your speed - don't drive for long distances at a constant speed. You want to vary the RPMs. The other thing is avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles. Highway speeds are fine, but don't set the cruise and go for long distances - remember, the owner's manual specifically says to vary speed (meaning engine RPMs). This is for the first 1,000 miles.

Fuel - also in the owner's manual, but just use regular. Anything else is a waste of money.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The entry point for the fuel pipe into the tank is intentionally, by design, BELOW the top of the tank...!!

How much.....??!!
    Well, to prove a point to a constant naysayer on the Camry fuel economy thread, I once went 602 miles on a single tank in my 2005 Camry 4-cylinder. The low-fuel light came on maybe 50 or so miles earlier, the gauge was reading below empty, and the trip computer had been showing 0 miles to empty for some time. It was a little nerve-wracking, especially after the 600-mile mark (in Nashville, TN), when we had to get off the interstate and there was no gas station in sight. The GPS came to our rescue though, by hitting the "fuel" search button.

I filled the tank with an indicated 18.53 gallons. Don't try this at home!
  • aolongaolong Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm planning to buy a new Camry through dealer's internet sales department. Does anyone know where I can find the email addresses of dealers around LA area? Thanks.
    All that means is that in YOUR particular case the stated tank size is actually EQUAL to the full fuel FILL level..., or the pump was gypping you.. Which size are the manufacturers REQUIRED to state, actual tank size/volume, or actual fill, useable, capability.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Fuel tank size I believe. Overfillng isn't reccommended by anyone, and only costs you more money.
    You can go to Toyota's website and type in your zip code, and it will give you the dealer info for the area, or search the web, or Edmunds "New Cars" will give you the info also. Lots of ways of getting the info. Good luck!
    I don't think there's any requirement regarding fuel tank capacity, but I believe most manufacturers specify useable capacity (that is, excluding air space that's not useable).

The gas pump could have been off slightly in my case, but also from the photos I took, my car was angled downhill somewhat to the right, which may have made it possible to put a little more gas in (on the left side) without spillage.
    My new 2010 Camry came with the Toyo package from the factory. What is the polish bottle for ? Regular waxing or is this a once a year special application?

Thanks,
  • camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    I got mine last Friday 8/21, 2.5 4cyl automatic. I availed of the C4C with my 1993 Previa which I had for 16 yrs. $3.5 went toward the new one.

The acceleration is greater than the 02 and 05 5th gens I had. The SE came with JBL AM FM 6 disc, MP3/WMA playback, aux/usb port, bluetooth, satellite radio [could be free for a month], lip spoiler and moonroof. Also has the 17" 5 spoke alloys with Toyo tires. One thing I noticed is there's a lining on the rear wheel wells identical to the fabric of the trunk liners. I would think this would get mushy and dirty during rainy days. I still have to enjoy driving this and will post my experiences.
    The lining on the rear wheel wells (purpose is to make the car quieter) causes no problems in rain, snow, etc. Toyota put it on their Lexus cars first, so it's been tested for a long time. I have never had any issues at all with it (almost 3 years), nor have I ever read/heard of anyone having any problems with this.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    They also have foam in the front fenders, problem to reduce noise and to provide crash protection.
    My 2010 Camry has a heavier feel to it is this real or any I just imagining this. I have owned other Camry's before so I think I know what I am saying.
    heavier, compared to what?
    Heavier than previous years Camry's. The weight feels good - substantial and the new 2.5 4 cyl is faster too.
    well nothing substantial as you may think, at least for last couple years.

06 (prior model) weight was 3164 lbs, 154 hp
    07 (new model) was 3307, 158 hp
    10 (mid model year) now 3373, 169 hp
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    While not substantial in the Camry, it is nevertheless a continuing trend among many manufacturers. Over the past several years, overall length, width and weight have been creeping up on many nameplates. For example, BMW 5 series six cylinder cars used to run about 188 inches long and roughly 3450 lbs. Now they are closer to 192 inches and around 3800 lbs. The new Caddy SRX CUV (e.g. Equinox) is a real porker. The Accord is another one that has grown noticeably in length and weight. Some of this has come about because of safety/emissions requirements, but it is a trend that you would think auto makers would want to control, given the increasingly stringent fuel economy requirements they will face in coming years. It has become a regular topic that writers at Edmunds, C&D, etc, beat them up on all the time.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    yeah I've noticed that trend as well with the majority of auto manufactures increasing the size and weight of their vehicles when a new generation comes out; a prime example of this is the 2008 Honda Accord and the 2009 Acura TL; in just one year, the TL increased a half inch in height, over a inch in width, and over 6 inches in length (189.2 to 195.5); the car is so much bigger now it borders on the large sedan category rather than mid-size but some people like large sedans; it is all on personal preference; luckily Toyota kept the size of the Camry pretty consistent from the prior generation (2002-2006); I think except for gaining a tiny weight the camry's exterior dimensions stayed pretty much the same and actually lost about a inch in height while gaining a inch in width; there are a few manufactures, nissan is one that comes to mind, with the 07 altima and 09 maxima, who didn't follow the current trend and actually decreased the size of their models for the new generation compared to the prior generation
    I don't notice any "heavier" feel between the 07 and 10, but the 10's I4 engine is definitely quicker, smoother, and quieter than the '07.
  • ginman06ginman06 Member Posts: 4
    Only owned this for one week. Don't know what happened, but all of a sudden my security LED is blinking, the engine immobilizer kicked in, and my ignition is locked and won't turn. Key fobs work for locking, opening, alarm, and trunk, but that's all. Called Dealer. Only help they had was to unlock the door with the key itself (old fashioned way) not using the fob. The ignition worked, but upon getting to my destination, it did it again. How do I get out of this mode and get my car back to the way it was?
    Wow.
    Take it back into the Dealer. Period.
    Show them what it does. They will fix it.
    Make sure you do not have a second security "code" key near the ignition cylinder when using "the" key, not even a second key for the same car.
This discussion has been closed.