Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The Gen 7 is due here in about 14 months. As usual Toyota is zipped-lipped about it. As you noted though past results may not accurately predict future performance.
  • Options
    geaux4itgeaux4it Member Posts: 9
    Interesting that the 10K announcement is coming. Especially for those of us who purchased the advance maintenance plan. I paid 1200.00 for all recommended service for 50K or 4 years which ever comes first. Based on that, I plan to still take my car in every 5K and use my prepaid coupons. I expect they will still honor the 5K interval as being recommended maitnance'. in this case.
  • Options
    That's part of the reason for the delay in the announcement I believe. There are a whole host of issues that must be addressed by a whole host of people. Some are very significant in a business perspective having nothing to do with the vehicles themselves.
  • Options
    oscarlettoscarlett Member Posts: 7
    JUST WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR POSTING REVIEWS AND FORUM DISCUSSIONS ON YOUR 2010 LE...I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE STYLE THIS YEAR AND NEARLY BOUGHT ONE TODAY AT 0% APR FOR 60 MONTHS UNTIL I STAYED UP ALL NIGHT READING ABOUT THE PROBLEMS/ ISSUES...NO THANKS..UNTIL THEY GET THE HARSH, CONFUSED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CORRECTED AND ALL THE OTHER SMALL BUT ANNOYING DETAILS THEY RUSHED THROUGH
    I'M SAVING MY $ AND ENJOYING A SMOOTH PROBLEM FREE RIDE WITH MY 96'
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    "JUST WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR POSTING REVIEWS AND FORUM DISCUSSIONS ON YOUR 2010 LE...I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE STYLE THIS YEAR AND NEARLY BOUGHT ONE TODAY AT 0% APR FOR 60 MONTHS UNTIL I STAYED UP ALL NIGHT READING ABOUT THE PROBLEMS/ ISSUES...NO THANKS..UNTIL THEY GET THE HARSH, CONFUSED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CORRECTED AND ALL THE OTHER SMALL BUT ANNOYING DETAILS THEY RUSHED THROUGH
    I'M SAVING MY $ AND ENJOYING A SMOOTH PROBLEM FREE RIDE WITH MY 96' "

There's NOTHING wrong with the 2010 model year Camry LE. The 2010 Camry LE has a "different" and "brand new" engine "and" transmission. The transmission and engine on the 2010 Camry LE is NOT the same one as the ones that are in the 2006 to 2009 Camry LE. It is a whole new engine and transmission and there are NO problems that we know of with them so far.
  • Options
    I had an '89, '94, 97 and '00 Camry. This generation is so far ahead of all the others - and the best looking to boot IMO - that not to buy one, especially at 0% interest, nonsensical. But to each their own.
  • Options
    From another site where Toyota Torrance participates directly on a regular basis...

10K OCI is official for vehicles using synthetic oil

The notification, dated December 15, 2009, includes a 19 question FAQ.

The included vehicles are:
    2010 Toyota Camry (4 cylinder)
    2010 Toyota Prius
    2010 Toyota Tundra (small V8)
    2010 Toyota Sequoia (small V8)
    2010 Toyota FJ Crusier
    2010 Toyota 4Runner (6 cylinder)
    2010 Scion xD

The notification defines "severe use" as:
    -mainly being used on dirt/dusty roads
    -consistently used to tow trailers or with car-top carriers or heavy load use
    -primarily used for short trips below 32 F / 0 C
    -extensive idling and low speed driving like police/taxi/door-to-door delivery

Severe use only applies when the majority of your driving falls into the listed special operating conditions. Occaisonal driving under those conditions is not severe use.

There will also be a coupon program available for customers who paid for an oil and filter change at 5000 miles. The coupon will give these customers a free oil change. Customers will be notified in early February 2010.

Images of the notification are attached.

UNQUOTE
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    That's great - it makes sense. I wonder if Toyota will update the maintenance reminder light. You can imagine all the confusion that it will cause for some people.
  • Options
    pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    Today I called the Service Dept. of the dealer I bought my 2010 Camry 4 cylinder from and asked about the 10k oil change. They did not have a clue as to what I was talking about. I then called another dealer in next city and same reply. I guess news trickles slow down to Florida:)
  • Options
    Actually it was a dealer in So Fla that first got wind of this back in July or Aug but at that time it was very very unofficial. That dealer jumped the gun and told all its customer at that time. Toyota didn't even acknowledge the possibility until Jan 1 of this year.

The notifications will be sent out in due time.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Or else the dealers do not wish to willingly/readily "distribute" this "bad" news.
  • Options
    It's in the public domain now. Any dealer denying it or delaying it will be soon caught 'red handed'. Anyway if you read the link I posted the official notices to everybody will be going out in Feb.
  • Options
    My dealer claims they have not seen it and asked me to find a copy from the internet. Why is there such chaos among Toyota corporate and its dealers? My dealer also still says you can only use 0-20w synthetic oil only, even though the other nearby dealer did not even carry it until October. What a mess. From another link> http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-217911.html

I would say this never happened when I owned a Honda, but I forgot how Honda denies there has been a brake problem with the last couple of years of Accords. Another reason why I made the switch to Camry.

How much is your dealer charging for oil change?

One dealer is doing 5-30w regular oil change and tire rotation for $23.65. check this out..They do the 0-20w oil change and rotation for $43.00 but they only furnish 2 qts. We can buy the other 3 qts elsewhere and bring it in for the oil change. This is almost funny.
  • Options
    I posted this link before. It's pretty self explanatory.
    10K OCI official

It was confirmed by the Prius Team from the HQ in Torrance on that site right after the 1st of the year. Read the whole thread, in fact there are several there. The explanation is that the official written word is going out this month. Owners will receive a coupon for one free oil change at their local store.

Patience, in good time everybody will be notified. It's no bigee. We were told about it back in mid Dec because we're the largest store by a factor of almost 3 in our large region.

As to the costs...Jiffy Lube here in Hampton Roads wants $79.95 for a synthetic oil change on a 4 cyl engine.
  • Options
    I sent the dealer this link w/4 pages of Toyota heading material on it. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/- 73815-some-2010-toyota-vehicle-oil-change-intervals-officially-revised-10000-mil- es-1-year-verified.html
    I will wait to see if she will affirm or deny that it is actually from Toyota. I imagine it is but look forward to her reply. I did not get any coupons when I bought my car. The dealer asked me if I received any and I said no. She then told me that they are not giving them out anymore...Well of course not..... My dealer had me down as a 6 cylinder Camry and I had to correct her that is was a 4 cylinder. Geeesh! My 3 month free XM radio expired today. Nice while it lasted.
    Jiffy Lube for $80.00!! The price I quoted included tire rotation and 27 point inspection with every oil change. Careful of Jiffy Lube. Either them or Firestone stripped out my old honda oil pan during an oil change. Every Jiffy Lube in my town closed.
  • Options
    silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    The word must be getting out to other dealers. :D

I just purchased a 2010 Camry SE in Alabama and the Sales Associate stated that I should get the oil changed at 10k mile intervals and that I should use synthetic oil. I later spoke with a Service Writer a the same dealer and he said the same. The Service Writer also stated that letters would be going out to owners in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Oscarlett, I had the opportunity to rent a 2010 Toyota Camry this past weekend, and I was very impressed with how the car drove! The 4 cylinder engine in this car is so refined and quiet, it's even more quiet than the 6 cylinder in my Lexus RX350!! I was really surprised! The car had great pep and even a little tighter steering feel than my RX.

I don't care what the naysayers are saying about the Camry, it's still the one to beat in the midsized sedan segment. I guess now I understand why I see so many on the road and around town! :D
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Yep,

I have an '07 w/50K miles on it now, and will be buying a new one as another additional vehicle within the next 6 months. The '07 has been a great vehicle.
  • Options
    Yes, and as a person with an '07 and a '10, I can say the 2010 is better than the 2007, not that the 2007 is bad! Better MPG, acceleration, and quieter, not to mention traction/stability control.
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I really was surprised by how quiet the little 4 cylinder engine was on the rental Camry that I drove this past weekend. Every time I would pull into a parking spot at a rest area or to get something to eat, I couldn't even tell if the car was on, I was thinking I had turned it off, but I hadn't. Again, I was impressed. I've always preferred six-cylinder engines in my cars, but I would reconsider the Toyota 4-cylinder that is produced in the Camry.

I had rented a Nissan Altima back in November to drive down to South Florida, and I was very disappointed in that vehicle. I had owned 3 Nissans up until I got my Lexus in 2006. I was always a Nissan fan. But that Altima that I rented, the 4 cylinder engine was noisy, coarse, just awful. Although the car handled well, it was just a big disappointment. I would much rather drive the Camry than the Altima, if that's how the current Altima's drive.

By the way, McDawgg, you mentioned better acceleration on the 2010 Camry. Did Toyota increase the horsepower on the 4 cylinder engine from the '07 to '09 models?
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Toyota updated the '10 to 2.5L w/ a little more HP.

OTH, as everyone knows, quiet and smooth ride is not in Nissan blood. They care more about handling. If you need those 2 features, Toyota is your best options.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    What does Altima bring to the table any more for the money? If you want smooth - Camry, sportier - Accord, in between - Fusion. I think Altima is long in the tooth and saddled with a CVT that really works better in V6 applications, yet its stickered rather expensively vice these competitors given what it offers, plus its a rental car queen these days. I'm thinking that carlos Ghosn (or whatever the CEO name is) has gone old school Detroit and its gonna backfire.
  • Options
    You're entitled to your opinion but I'm happy w/ Nissan/Infiniti. I'm not like some people who try to bash others b/c they don't agree w/ them. :P
  • Options
    I'm not bashing anyone because of what they own or think. Heck, every vehicle I've owned has had its good and bad points. However, I am disappointed in how Nissan has let the Altima decline. This car started out as a great, innovative alternative, only to be left out to dry. I feel that despite the media hype, this guy Ghosn has really just ended up following the old Detroit route of letting bean counters run the show. Cost cutting has led to declining quality and product focus. Doing the Mississipi truck plant in a hurry and on the cheap was a fiasco. Moving from California to Nashville ended up losing a lot of product talent. Design seems to have gone from leadership to too often also ran. Meanwhile Detroit is waking up while Korea is climbing. Nissan needs to get it mojo back.
  • Options
    I'm not bashing anyone...

You're good. I've seen other people here who try to bash others if they say something bad about Camry. :cry:
  • Options
    Whatever - I've got a Camry and am quite open about its good and weak points. I don't see how my comments about Nissan have anything directed at you unless your name is Carlos Ghosn.
  • Options
    When I said you're good, I mean you didn't try to bash me or anyone. However, if you read the discussion, you will see that some people here got really personal if other said bad things about the Camry...about safety issue.

I don't really care if you or someone say bad things about Nissan that's why they don't buy Nissans. Actually, I was thinking about getting the Accord last month when I shopped for the '10 Altima. However, I'm afraid that when I trade in the car 2-3 years from now, Honda mights not be willing to give me a good deal on their used Honda as Nissan.

I used to drive Toyotas, '97 Avalon, 99 Corolla, '02 Camry, and '03 Solara, before I switched over to Nissans in 2003. I find that I can negotiate better deals w/ Nissan than Toyota.
  • Options
    Sorry, I guess I misread your point. I incorrectly thought you were taking things personally. I'm with you, this is America and people should buy whatever they prefer. Everything has its good and bad, I've yet to find perfection in anything and doubt it will ever really exist anyway. I think some posters may work in the business and have affinities thereto. Personally, I believe competition always improves things for everyone in the long term and don't like seeing any failures.

PS - don't know if you like them, but I found Toyota dealers were pretty aggresive on Camry - I saved over a grand compared to a similar Accord. I also own Honda, but don't find the Camry all that sloppy of a handling car as some feel. It does trade a bit of handling finesse for quiet and smooth cruising, but I was quite comfortable driving it on winding hilly roads.
  • Options
    Yes, you can find the Camry LE for a little cheaper than the Accord LX. I don't have a problem with the new car price but they don't offer good numbers on my used car as Nissan dealers.

I don't really drive the Altima, so, I don't really care too much about the noise and handling. I drive the G. However, I like the Altima design more than the Accord or the Camry.

Opp, I don't want to talk too much about other cars here b/c this thread is for Camry 2010.
  • Options
    geaux4itgeaux4it Member Posts: 9
    Up until I purchased my 10 Camry back in September, my 95 Altima was my most recent purchase. Bought it new and today has ~100K and runs like a champ. All it's needed over the years are batteries, tires, and a one time distributor cap.
  • Options
    camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    I finally hit 5,000 miles today eastbound on 101 to home from work. The "Maint Reqd" light remains on and it's been blinking when nearing 5k. Glad to hear that Toyota changed the OCI to 10k but this is still up in the air as I have not received any correspondence or read any public announcement except from a posting. I don't intend to change the oil soon but will stick to the contentions of fellow owners from this board. I estimate that I will reach 1 year in late August and attain the 10k +/- reading.

I read the manual but didn't see the instruction on turning off the light. Is it the same as in the previous models or the 5th gen? Thanks for any feedback.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I believe, but am not certain, that you use the same procedure to turn off the light.
  • Options
    "I believe, but am not certain, that you use the same procedure to turn off the light."

Please tell me HOW to turn off the light?
    Thank You
  • Options
    See your 2010 Owner's Manual, page 369.

Another good page to look at is page 333, where it tells you the proper use of the floor mats. If the Lexus dealer in CA would have read and followed that, the big accident would not have happened, and other people would not have had problems with pedals getting stuck down. Note that this manual was printed before the accident happened.

Lots of good info in the Owner's Manual!!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If the floor mats were the actual problem/cause....??

I find it very hard to believe that a State Patrolman could have driven that car that far at those speeds and not released the brake pedal at least once and thereby discovered that the engine RPM decayed as/when he did so. Plus he would have to have been an absolute idiot to have not tried shifting the transaxle into neutral, or even reverse, of in the extreme case into park. "Who" cares if the transaxle self-destructs.

No, the engine/transaxle ECU control firmware found itself a trap door or entered a "deadly embrace".

I have personally experienced the floor mat problem twice over the past ~15 years and in both cases it was my heavy or extreme foot pressure on the brake pedal that was forcing the floor mat, that had slipped up behind it, to depress the gas pedal.

The first time (Mazda Miata test drive) took a little figuring out but the second time (Mazda minivan rental) I recognized the problem immediately.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Mcdawgg answered the question nicely. I don't waste time giving detailed instructions here (I have in the past, but no more) when the full procedure is spelled out in the owner's manual.
  • Options
    acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I have had several cars where I had two floor mats in place, the factory one, and a rubber one on top, only one time did I have a mat slip enough that if touched the gas pedal when I braked. I used to have a Camry Hybrid, only had the rubber mat, the factory mats were in the trunk, the mat did not slip, but at times I did have the sensation of the car accelerating when I was trying to slow down. The throttles are drive by wire on these cars now, not a physical cable that can stick. It is quite possible for the signals to get mixed and for the throttle to open instead of close when braking. I find it hard to believe that someone trained to drive pursuit would not be able to figure out that the accelerator advanced when he stepped on the brake, and to think wait, the floor mat may have slipped. The car is flawed, plain and simple, I have never had a car that I could not stop with the gas floored. My mom had a Corolla wagon from years ago, it was an 80 something model rear wheel drive 4 banger. It had caught fire one day and wiped out the carb. I replaced the carb with an aftermarket one and had some linkage problems, the throttle stuck wide open, yet I was able to stop the car, in gear. It took a lot of effort, but I was able to stop it. I also know for a fact that it is very easy to knock the shifter into neutral on the Camry, I did it by accident and thought the car had died.

I do believe there is a glitch in their system that is causing the problem.
  • Options
    This is not the place to discuss it, but there are many checks already built in to the car. For instance, the software checks the pedal position with the electronic signal that it is getting. If the two don't match, it ignores the signal. There is zero evidence of anything except a floor mat physically interfering. Ever heard of a cop making a mistake? I have - no one is perfect. I think it was Car & Driver that did a test and they were able to stop a Camry with the brakes with the throttle open. If you pump the brakes, though, then it would not. I am done with this discussion here - there is another forum where people can debate the issue (and some that hope Toyota goes out of business. I quit wasting my time on that.)

Bottom line - just follow the directions on page 333 of the 2010 Owner's Manual, and you will be fine. If I had ANY doubt about the safety of the Camry, I would not be risking my families' lives, because I have 2 Camrys! But, I have no doubts, and can only find people that hope there is a problem and the media that makes it a problem, but NO evidence of a real problem with the electronics. Only the pedal IF you don't follow the directions on page 333. I had pedal interference on an old Ford and Mazda that did not have clips and the mats moved under the pedal and caused it to stick down. Fortunately, I was not in traffic, or there may have been an accident. So I am very sensitive to the situation, not to mention having my whole family in these cars. Anyway, back to the 2010 Camry, a car that I own and enjoy.
  • Options
    VERY well said mcdawgg.
  • Options
    My dealer will still not confirm the 10K oil change. Is there any new Toyota links that finally confirm it? I have seen the photos online info with Toyota letterhead and sent it to the dealer but they did not accept it as proof and they have not received anything from Toyota as of last week.

I only came on here today to see if anyone had posted about the recall and Toyota finally admitting there was a gas pedal problem and not just the floor mat. Drive safe folks! I guess we hope for the est until our vehicles are fixed. This is very disappointing and potentially dangerous.

Toyota Motor Corp said on Thursday it will recall millions more vehicles in the United States, its second massive recall in four months, this time to fix potentially faulty accelerator pedals.

The newest recall, affecting 2.3 million vehicles, marked an acknowledgment that potential problems with dangerous acceleration on Toyota vehicles run deeper than the automaker had first announced and broadened a recall that already ranked as its largest ever.

The recalls have damaged Toyota's reputation for market-leading quality and safety at a time when the automaker's U.S. sales remain under pressure.

Toyota had previously maintained that there was no evidence of a mechanical fault linked to reports of unintended acceleration that prompted the recall of about 4.2 million vehicles last year.

The automaker said the recall announced on Thursday was separate from the earlier action, which Toyota said was aimed at addressing the risk that the accelerator pedals could become entrapped by loose or improperly installed floor mats. The latest recall includes the 2009 and 2010 RAV4; the 2009 and 2010 Corolla; the 2009 and 2010 Matrix; the 2005 to 2010 Avalon; the 2007 to 2010 Camry; the 2010 Highlander; the 2007 to 2010 Tundra; and the 2008 to 2010 Sequoia. Toyota said its own investigation in recent months had found that some accelerator pedals on those Toyota brand models might stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to idle. The problems could occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn, it said.
  • Options
    pixshooter,
    I ain't going to worry about it. I will be driving my leased 2010 Camry LE for the next 3 years. So far, I like the car a lot. It drives very smooth and it's very quiet on the road. When my lease is up I am going to give it back to Toyota and lease another one. Preferably a newer 7th generation hybrid Camry. :)
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I am going to chime in briefly about the acceleration and it is not really off topic as it does effect the 2010 Camry.

Historically brakes have been way stronger than engines - didn't matter what the engine did, you hit the brakes and you would stop.

Now you have family sedans pushing 300 hp, and almost exclusively with an automatic transmission. With a stick shift you hit the brakes and the slower you go the slower the engine is turning so it loses hp as you slow down even if it is fighting you. With an AT the car will downshift and regain revs so it is at full strength.

Another issue is that brakes fade. Any car can stop more powerfully than it can accelerate if the brakes are cool. But that may not be the case especially as it may take a while to go into a full panic stop.

Example - your engine starts to race so you instantly slam on the brakes full force, the car fights you and downshifts to gain more power, but you bring it to a stop no problem.

Example 2 - the car starts to race, and you hesitate for a few seconds and gradually push to brake and try to figure out what is happening (brakes heat up a little). This does not seem to do much, but you don't want to slam to a stop in the middle of the highway so you just give a little more pressure (brakes heat up more). You slow a little, but the car shifts down to 4th and gets more power so it keeps accelerating. At this point you are very concerned and apply firm pressure to the brakes, but not yet a full panic stop (brakes are getting really hot) again the car starts to slow, but you have been riding the brakes for long enough that they are beginning to fade and the car shifts down to third for even more power. Now things could get out of hand if you do not apply maximum braking power, and make some good quick decisions.

Of course with the safer transmission type ;) (an MT) you can fix the situation right away without taking either hand off of the wheel - just push in the clutch.

One more reason to go old school and row your own. :shades:

Thank goodness the 2010 Camry still offers the choice. I hope they continue to for a long time.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Of course with the safer transmission type (an MT) you can fix the situation right away without taking either hand off of the wheel - just push in the clutch.

One more reason to go old school and row your own.

Its just as easy to put the auto into neutral :shades: . Maybe not easy to remember to do it though if your car is accelerating into traffic on its own power.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That is true, but I imagine many would be reluctant to do so at speed because if you "miss" the next gear is R, and you would need to take one hand off of the wheel an probably your eyes off the road to make sure you get it right. Even though many new transmissions don't let you do stupid things like shift into R or P at speed.
  • Options
    pfecua1pfecua1 Member Posts: 2
    hi everyone,i need some advice on what kind of gas should i put in my 2010 camry se,(regular,plus or premium???) i''l be happy to get some advices please the reason that im asking about the kind of gas is because i drive on the highway 1 1\2 hours to go to work and 1 1\2 hour to go back home and i been putting regular gas but full thank dont even last a week , i love this car runs great but my concern is i been wasting money in gas just like my old car i bought this car for saving money on gas please need help thank you so much. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    regular, cheapest you can find

You're complaining that you can't drive 15 hours on a tank of gas? How many miles is that trip? Stop and go, or highway?
  • Options
    camry2k5camry2k5 Member Posts: 38
    TORRANCE, Calif., January 21, 2010 -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572- .aspx

There's a lot of information on this site but nowhere can I find an official announcement about the 10K miles Oil Change Interval on 2010 cars.
  • Options
    oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    I read the advice here and elsewhere on the "stuck pedal" scenario and have one question... Can't you place the transmission in neutral at any speed? And if so, why not a "and if you have time to think then you may also place the transmission in neutral to allow for swifter braking"...Surely I must be missing something.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    What mileage are you getting? I have to fill up every 4th day, and I only drive 45 mintues each way. I'm getting 29-30 MPG though. Quite good for 70 MPH in a 14 year old car, I'd say. You can't make assumptions before you make those calculations.

Fill up, and reset your trip meter.
    At your next fill up, divide the gallons it took to refill vs miles driven. For example, if you drove 320 miles and the fillup took 16 gallons, you got 20 MPG.
  • Options
    pfecua1pfecua1 Member Posts: 2
    it's about 75 miles a day back and forth so im not sure if it will help if i change it to premium gas
This discussion has been closed.