Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No way that's going to happen.
  • pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2010
    Sheet is going to hit the fan real soon I think. Even if your car has been repaired be careful until we find out about this.

Expert: Electronic Design Flaw Linked to Runaway Toyotas

A flaw in the design of Toyota's electronic acceleration system prevents the car's onboard computer from detecting and stopping certain short circuits that can trigger sudden speed surges, according to a professor of automotive technology, Dave Gilbert of Southern Illinois University's auto technology department. As a result, Gilbert told ABC News, the Toyota computers will not record an error code, nor will they activate the "fail safe" system designed to shut down the power and put the car in the "limp home" mode.

"This is a dangerous condition, it is not fail safe," said Gilbert in an interview to be broadcast Monday on ABC World News with Diane Sawyer.

"If there was this kind of fault, it will never set an error code," said Gilbert. As a result, he said, there will be "no fingerprints, no trail" when Toyota engineers inspect a car after an accident or incident of sudden acceleration.
    Must see video!!! http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota-recall-electronic-design-flaw-linked-toyota- -runaway-acceleration-problems/story?id=9909319 <Hope this link works. If not then google the story in bold letters
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    What gives on this sporty model, or did I misread something???, or is it just the 2010 SE which is not being recalled???

Having spent a couple years with a Japanese automotive cable mfgr in the early 80s at a plant near Battle Creek, Mi, I found out they did operate then at a level of very attractive pricing with decent quality on most products..Some items were questionable, however to hit goals it was pushed out the door..

At this time in history, the Japanese were in an expansion mode looking for joint ventures and opportunties to grow quickly since they were given by our Congress some 5 years to obtain 75% domestic content to their production of cars in the USA..They obtained that goal by bringing their suppliers from the island to the USA. and very little content was used from the traditional Big3 supplier..

They did escape the UAW, however the climate is changing for that scenerio with the Obama guys in charge and the current recalls...The Asians bought their way into this country with payoffs and it will only cost them more kickbacks in the future..Having spent some 34 yrs on the supply side to the automotive end, I watch the transition slowly invade our markets..

Blame bad quality, unions, or whatever makes you happy on the dismal state of our automotive Big3, for the landscape has changed and jobs disappeared overnight, and those "good times" aren't coming back..

The Japanese started in this country with a clean sheet of paper, and used our alot of our tax $$$$$s to kill our industry...Kia and Hyundia are really going great guns using our funds and the Korean govts funds to further decimate our industry..

Buy whatever works for you!!!!!! My history has been "41" Big3 offerings and 2 Porsches which were purchased in Germany..
    One little detail not mentioned in the broadcast: Gilbert was hired by Sean Kane's Safety Research and Strategies, an "expert" safety group funded largely by trial lawyers. Kane's been on a bandwagon promoting sudden acceleration as a genuine vehicle issue having nothing to do with driver error. He has only one engineer on his own staff.

A little conflict of interest here to drum up more support ($$$$) from the trial lawyers?

BTW, Gilbert didn't do all that well during the congressional hearings yesterday, probably not used to being in the limelight. Kane had to step in and take over.
  • rick03rick03 Member Posts: 3
    We bought a 2010 Camry SE Jan 12 2010, the dealer called me 2 times to say No Recall on our Se.Looks like the floor has been reworked at the factory(dip in floor under pedal), came with no floormats, had Denso sport pedal which looked shorter than 09
    Good thinking on the floor mats for the pricing is a ripoff, around $300. I assume you are driving the 4-banger..Any displeasures at this time..A dealer in Tampa quoted me 19,500 on 2010 SE w/sunroof only..last week.

Being retired, I do shop SE Toyotas, and Mustang GTs, for it is time to dump one of my cars..They are certainly different cars, but at my age the GT is really more of an "ego purchase" than practical..My Detroit background keeps me away from the Camry SE., even though I think it is a neat 4 banger w/great suspension, but lacking any excitement..Got to make a decision within the next 2 weeks...
  • rick03rick03 Member Posts: 3
    We did buy the 4cy, my wifes car, she loves it. We traded in a 98 Avalon, she says the Camry is just as quick. Purchased mats with clips on line
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    I purchased a 2010 SE on Jan 8. Denso sport pedals. No recalls on it either.

For the record, my wife and I are really enjoying this car. No worries about SUA. I am not convinced that there is an electronics problem.
    If I am a lawyer then I play this tape....

Family Killed in Santee Car Crash 911 Call- The Lexus Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGSWs4uJzY

Accelerator stuck at 120mph
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I've heard it before. We know from the sheriff's investigation that car had an unsecured rubber mat from a Lexus RX placed on top of the factory mat for the ES he was driving. As I've already mentioned, an older driver of the same loaner car experienced sudden acceleration a few days earlier, but was able to bring the car to a stop without much drama. He then yanked out the offending mat, and the engine revving stopped.

He complained to the dealership about the problem, but no action was taken. To me, the dealership bears most of the blame for putting in an incorrect mat, on top of the existing mat, AND not securing it, all in clear violation of Toyota's written instructions. As has been pointed out, it's silly to use a rubber mat in SoCal in the first place, where it hardly ever rains.
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    Did the moderators finally yank it?
    Toyota needs money, they will gut pricing as I have seen in the larger city dealerships in Fla..18% on some Camry sedans, even low inventory SEs.

Their stock on Wall Street really hasn't been gutted too bad..It's a good daily play to grab a couple bucks a share..

I am chasing an SE 4cyl w/sunroof only, only 2 in stock and pricing is being shaved. They have 6-6cyl SEs, so I may switch the game..I assume the 6cyl has the same suspension setup as the 4-banger, I see the tire is the same size, and the premium for the six really is the extra zippo...Maybe we can get a 20%+ discount and a little more dough on the tradein.. It's a fun game!!!!!

The real thing holding up my purchase is---sick of FWD cars, and the IS-350 Lexus is high on cost, only one dealer within 30 miles, Camaro comes to mind, but the Obama ownership of GM doesn't excite me, Caddy CTS is a 2 ton creation, however I still like the simple Mustang GT..Who knows???

Don't worry, Toyota will come out okay and flatten GM and Chrysler..Maybe they will be forced to unionize their assy plants..to appease the left..Follow the money..
    Get the Mustang.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Not sure what thread you are talking about but no, I didn't yank it.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    I got 16% off of list on an SE 4 cyl with moonroof and spoiler back in early January. That was before the media blitz over the recalls. I'd think that you could do even better now.
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    Not sure what thread you are talking about but no, I didn't yank it.

This one;

"Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall"

Anyway it's back again. Didn't see it the other day.
    I don't think it ever went away.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are correct, sir! :)

It's on the Automotive News board anyway, not here in the Camry group.
    Too simple, not enough trashing of Toyota as yet, and the Obama team of radicals will start picking their pockets..Great time to buy a Camry!!!!!
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    Do you have to keep up with all scheduled maintenance in order to keep the warranty valis? My Toyota sales person said that you don't have to.
    Also - my 5K maintenance required light came on and won't turn off. I got the revised maintenance schedule booklet from Toyota re the 10K oil change interval. So the only things for 5K are - rotate tires, check floor mats (stupid), visual check and check fluids (stupid). I'd like to take the car somewhere else than the Toyota dealer for the tire rotation. Any way to turn off the annoying Maint required light without taking it to the dealer? It overrides any of my other displays like odometer and temp. I'd like to have it disabled permanently.
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    Oops - I see stuff about the Maintenence light in a previous post. Answers to the warranty question above are appreciated.
    You do have to have the scheduled maintenance done to maintain the warranty, but not necessarily at a dealer. You can go to an independent shop or even do it yourself, provided you keep receipts/records.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2010
    I have a tracking log (excel spreadsheet) which I use to track and log maintenance for all of my vehicles. After any maintenance, I attach the spreadsheet to an email and send it to myself..............and in the email text summarize by saying something like: 2007 Camry Oil & Filter change, 54322 miles, 3/4/2010, Mobil 1 5w20.

That way it gets time stamped by the email system, and I can't have someone accuse me of dummying up records after the fact.

It's much less cumbersome than it may sound, as I tend to do many of the vehicles the same weekend, so it's one updating of the spreadsheet and email, which covers all of the vehicles maintenance.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    I'm willing to bet there are alot of other secrets Toyota has kept from the public especially with Consumer Reports magazine aiding them. For some reason I was always weary about Toyota I never owned one but when I was working at a tire shop part time I test drove alot of them and they always seemed tinny even when you closed the door it sounded like a soup can hitting the ground.

The best was once I was putting gas in a guys Corolla, and thank God he had the radio on loud when I put the hose in and leaned on the car with my backside the panel dented and I started to sweat. The good thing that happend was when I closed the gas lid the dent poped back out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rig there crash results.
  • geaux4itgeaux4it Member Posts: 9
    For those like me who paid in advance for routine maintenance based on the 5K interval make them adhere to it. I called and told them I want my oil change at the 5K interval since I have already paid for it. They said no problem. I also told them to do the rope a dope on the mats, pedal while it was there. On that note, I have not heard from my dealer on when I could expect them to do the work otherwise.
    Local dealer in Venice, Fla using email only is quoting a cash price of $20,223 based on an MSRP of $24,430..Basic 4 banger SE w/SE Value Pkg, sunroof &spoiler, a $490 option.. So what's left is my tradein value which is where the fun begins, a 2006 Pontiac GPGT, loaded all goodies w/gas loving 3.8 S/C engine 42.5k mi, sunroof, leather, etc..Keeping the 99 Sedan Deville w/46k miles, and the 2002 Camry XLE which belongs to my friend..

The dealer has 4-2011 SEs with sunroofs, floor mats, and the Toyo policy, a $699 upcharge to the Southern district middleman which encompasses worhtless goodies such as Vin# etched on windshield, under body and paint treatment along with a "Free OIL Change", plus a $599 dealer fee.

The $699+$599 or $1,298 adds no value to the car, so I told the dealer when you get a 2011 SE w/ sunroof only option, give me a jingle..Can't show my hand yet, for there is nothing to buy..This is the same dealer where I take the 2002 XLE for oil change, however I have not clashed with the sales force as yet, or the GenMgr..

The XLE goes in for brake job tomorrow at a small shop 2 blks from the dealer..
    Consumer Guide withdrew their recommendation on many Toyotas due to the recalls. Will our cars always have the * stigma and be worth much less when we want to trade in? Should we be compensated and I don't mean the $1,000.00 off if I trade for new Toyota if I buy another one now.
    I hope auto insurance rates are not affected from all of this.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    It will be no different than what happened with the Ford Explorers, even though it was a Firestone problem, and not a Ford problem, the fact they were on the Explorer and caused them to roll over when they blew put the brunt of the blame on Ford. Resale values on the Explorers plummeted, and stayed low for a very long time. I had one at the time too, though it never popped a rubber, I do know the left rear tires do take some heat, and I did get a new set all around for free, but I lost my butt on the value on it. It will be a few years before the value of these cars gets back up to pre-crash numbers. I got rid of mine just before this all hit, and the dealer was stuck with the car for several months until they found a buyer who didn't like the ride in the Fusion Hybrid, and just happened to have the Camry Hybrid to sell him.
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    We have a 2010 Camry XLE. My wife and I are on the fence about trading it in. I would like to know what everyone else is doing? Wait it out?

Thanks.
    Good question. After hearing about the latest episode in California the issue is on my radar. I can only imagine the beating one would take in working a trade,
    I got rid of my TCH just before the SHTF, barely made payoff on it. We had surge issues with it, which was the breaking point on our decision to get rid of it. Good luck on getting a fair price if you do decide to go elsewhere.

A coworker of mine has an older Prius that is starting to experience surge issues while braking. Pretty soon there will be a flood of reports as little things like this start to come out on older cars. I feel for those, who like me, thought buying a Toyota would be a good investment in a car, only to find out how bad the quality has gone down in them. I remember when a Camry was like top notch Toyota, with only the Cressida being better, sadly, I can't say the same anymore.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    I'm still comfortable about driving my 2010le..big picture wise, these incidents, although serious, are happening to way less than 1% of all the affected toyotas on the road..I would educate and practice with my wife on what to do to ease her mind..nice thing about the 2010 model is that it is very easy to reposition the gear lever into neutral without even having to look or worry whether you may accidently position it into reverse..the shifter gate prevents that..also might need to be more alert to any changes in the way the gas pedal acts...I think eventually toyota will find a permanent fix for it...they can't afford not to
    I might have mentioned this before, but when the gas pedal is released in my 2010 Camry LE it likes to keep coasting. Speed bleeds off very slowly without applying brake. Not since my dad's old mid 70's Delta 88 have I experienced such momentum in a car. I know it is not gas initiated as I have tested at 50 mph by releasing the gas, shifting to neutral and the tach indeed drops.

I guess the improved aerodynamics and a 6 speed trans make it slow to slow. lol...

Overall though, I love the car. We feel safe driving it.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your Camry is FWD, making it potentially quite hazardous for engine compression if by happenstance the roadbed is slippery. Some FWD and F/awd vehicles are now programmed to use a lower level of engine compression braking, or regen braking for hybrids, if the OAT is hovweing around, near, or below freezing, conditions when an icy roadbed is more likely.
    There were two more episodes, one in NY and another one today in PA. Rav4 and another Prius.

I know I'lI get hit by trading in the Camry but I'm more concern for my family's safety.
    I'm reading there is/will be more class action lawsuits because the affected cars have lost value on trade. I have to agree. In the meantime I got my insurance statement today. State Farm jacked up my bi-annual premium by around $50.00. Coincidence? I have been a loyal State Farm customer for over 25 years. They usually beat the competition. I will start shopping for another company.

I finally got my appointment for my recall problems. The pedal looks like kid took a jigsaw to it. So pizzed off at the quality of the repair. Toyota finally sent my recall letter the day after my car was worked on. They also sent a letter stating that there will be another pedal to replace the repaired one later on if not happy with repair. Yes, I want the new pedal! Dealer had to keep the car all night for the recall repair and other problems. They fixed 1 of 4 other problems. The one they fixed was the trunk that you have to slam very hard to close. My dashboard light dims by itself. They could not find problem. So I am stuck with dimming dashboard light?

I noticed that local dealer is swamped with repairs but can only do a few per day, but they made sure to fix all the new affected cars on the lot while owners had to wait weeks. This is wrong in my opinion.
    I will have to contact my insurance company to see if my premiums have changed as well.
  • princeofkashiprinceofkashi Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an XLE manufactured Jan 2010. My heart sinks a bit every morning hearing a new Toyota UA incident. Scared to drive. Did we do a mistake choosing a Camry after having wonderful experience with two camryis in the 90's, they were Japanese made?
    IL rates shot up ~ $60, so I doubt it is related to the Toyota issues. It may be a global rate hike for your area. As far as the dimming dash, my TCH did he same thing. Do you hear a click when it does?
    Did not hear a click. There is a click when you turn the dimmer switch all the way to the right. That locks it on very bright (too bright). What happened was when I got my first oil change at dealer, they reset the maintenance reminder (same switch). As I left the dealer and I was a few miles down the interstate and a slight bump in the road caused the dash lights to dim. Now the dash lights never get as bright as they did before the dealer reset the switch and had that dimming incident on the interstate. The dashboard dimming has happened randomly a couple a times now when I have hit the slightest bump in the road. The dash light does not seem to get as bright as it did before the first incident and as mentioned, when it is turned on all the way to the right (the click) it is much too bright.
    edited March 2010
    I spoke with my insurance co and no increase in my premium.

Speaking of noise, when I turn off the Camry there is a low buzz or click sound coming from the driver side. Anyone have this symptom?
    There's nothing to be scared of. Drive and enjoy your car.

I have two older Camrys (2004 and 2005) and both have been great cars.
    Who is your insurance company? I know rates vary according to area, traffic and driving history. My premium is now $445.41 per 6 months. Again, no infractions and I get Safe Driver discount. This is with $500 deductible. Now that I think about it there are other variable that can make policy more or less but I did not change anything on my policy from last 6 months. By the way, I traded an Accord in and the cost to insure a 2010 Camry is more then an a Accord. State Farm told me that the Accord is a little safer according to insurance rates.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I just reached over 5,000 miles in my 2010 Camry LE and no problems whatsoever yet. The car is very smooth and drives like a charm. :)
    Based on my experience, you should be fine. My '05 Camry XLE just turned over 44K miles the other day and hasn't had ANY problems, not counting normal maintenance items such as oil and filter changes, 1 round of tire replacements, and wiper blade replacements.

My '04 LE has nearly 72,000 miles and has had one minor issue -- a slight stickiness in the steering when making a right angle left turn at low speeds, not counting a hit-and-run crash and a hailstorm pummeling. The steering issue is so subtle and hasn't gotten worse, so I haven't done anything about it.
    Sounds like a loose connection. The Dimming I saw was due to the auto on lights. There is a sensor in the dash and if there is enough light to see, but not enough to go without lights, then it brightens the dash, but keeps the headlights on. I guess it is for times like when it rains, or going through a tunnel, this way you can still see the dash as your eyes become accustomed to the dark. You hear a click when it does this. Since yours does it over bumps, I would have the harness looked at.
    5 years can make a big difference in cars. I'll bet the quality in your cars is better than what I had on the 09 Hybrid. The only good thing I can say about the Toyotas I had, I did not have to worry that they would run and get me to where I was going. However, there were too many negatives in them that I would consider getting another one.
    Yes, I know different rates apply to different regions. I use Allstate. I asked the rep if my rates would change to the Toyota fiasco. The rep said that would not affect my premiums to go up.
    edited March 2010
    If you believe Consumer Reports (and a lot of people don't), the reliability of the Camry dropped noticeably with the 2007 models. The 2008s and 2009s are better, but still not as good as the pre-2007 models, based on the charts in the April auto issue. I'm planning on keeping mine a long time, barring any unforeseen events.
    Dealers are discounting heavy to move inventory, however the blips noted on this message board kinda cooked my desire for any Camry of 2011 vintage..It's a basically a 2007 with some improvements..Toyota went the GM road with all of it's sales glory and butchered the quality to improve the bottom line..The 2012 offering should be an improvement..

Off the subject---tires---Had 4-Hankooks installed on the 06 Grand Prix GT about 12k miles ago, pure junk!!!!,H-rated,directional tread, noisy, noisy,noisy, and prone to flat spotting..Tires are Chinese-made...Had the local Pontiac dealer install them and road-force balance them..Car only has 42k mi, so Monday I am going to have Michelin Harmonies installed, only T-rated, however from experience on a 2002 Olds Intrigue they were good for high mileage, no flat spotting, or noise..no shake..Just keep the speed under 118 mph..This week I had a 2002 Camry XLE reshod with Yokahamas and brakes redone, first time rears were turned, 79.5k mi., friend's car..Not a great tire, but balanced out good, and smooth running..If it lasts 30k mi, no complaints..

Tire Rack was the supplier, ordered one day, arrived and installed the next day..In Florida..Will do the same with the Michelins..

Thanks for the input on Camrys, and I can now wait for the 2011 Mustang GT..Really hate to give up my S/Charged Pontiac, it's too young along with the bargain purchase price..it loves gas, v-plus Shell...

Happy Motoring---Camry Owners---Thanks again for your honesty..Back to the Motorcity offerings..Toyota will get out of its current mess, will probably cost them 4-5 billion, but the Japanese banks will cover the mess.

The California Prius owner who went 20+miles on a stuck accelerator pedal is not a beliveable character, and the story is bogus..
This discussion has been closed.