Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 3.3L Timing Chain Replacement Interval ??

robertwillisrobertwillis Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
I am attempting to confirm that the timing chain on a 2008 Santa Fe with the 3.3L engine does not have to be replaced at 60K miles similar to the 2.7L

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Our Maintenance Schedule may have that info for you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    From what I've read, the 2.7 has a BELT, which should be replaced at 60,000, as should most other engines with timing belts. The 3.3 has a CHAIN, which does not wear as the belt does, so it doesn't normally need replacement. That said, I had to replace the timing chain twice on my old Nissan, because a guide broke (twice) and allowed the chain to break - twice. (I'm thinking the first repair wasn't done properly.) But that was at well over 100,000 miles.
  • chiwlfchiwlf Member Posts: 6
    The 3.3 has 5 timing chains as opposed to the 2.7 which has 2 chains and 1 belt. The chains are internally lubricated engine parts which are covered 10 yrs 100,000 miles by the powertrain warranty. The main chains have automatic tensioners to compensate for wear and stretching of the chains so in theory as long as the engine oil is changed at the proper intervals they should outlast the warranty. I find no maintainance interval information on these chains, These aren't like the old style nylon gear chains of the 70's and 80's. The gears used to fail, not the chain. Unless you begin to hear a rattling from the front engine area it is best to leave them alone and again if the noise shows up during the warranty period just let the dealer handle it.
    Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.