Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That was a very early production model and I'm suprised at how few problems you've had! That's great considering it's probably one of the first mass produced units.

-mike
  • rbabcockrbabcock Member Posts: 4
    I had a 04 armada with serious brake problems... Complete brake failure 8 times. The Armada had 41,000 miles. I fought like hell. This truck sucks. I got my refund $35k and going to buy a new car... not a Nissan. Questions? [non-permissible content removed] it would be my pleasure. Fight like hell this truck is dangerous. One word of advise, Nissan will continue to tell you there is nothing wrong and you have too many miles ( over 30k)Keep fighting. 1-800 Nissan is a joke. Nissan arbitration is worthless. Keep calling and writing. Go above the dealer, the dealer will not do [non-permissible content removed]... Trust me.
    -Nissan sucks
    -Rob
    Perhaps YOUR nissan sucked, mine tows 9000lbs w/ease and 90% of my miles have been towing miles. Once they got the brake issues worked out, I haven't had any problems.

Most likely you had an incompetant dealer who couldn't track your problem down. But don't lump all Nissans together my friend.

Too bad it didn't work out for you, but show me another SUV with 9000lbs towing capacity, there are none except a 2500 series Suburban and if you think Nissan is a Joke, try a GM on for size.

-mike
  • gbajagbaja Member Posts: 13
    hi guys,
    I know that there is an issue with the brakes, what I want to know is if they extend the warranty? I have an 2004 'mada that needs a new pair of rotors. thanks
    If you had the brake upgrades done, there is no extended warranty available.

I had my brake upgrade done several of them (there are various different ones they came out with) and after the last one, my dealer was able to cut the rotors once, after that I'm on my own for rotor turning/replacement.

-mike
    Well I am aware that not all Nissans Armadas suck. The 2004 Nissan Armada has a serious brake problem....I was nearly killed because the damn thing had complete brake failure and I am by far not the only one with this life threating problem...The dealer was not able to fix the problem or the several nationwide Nissan Experts tech could not either.... Anyways are you reading the posts?... I guess you got a good one and the rest of us got a piece of Sh*t...Good luck with your Armada and ya a GMC looks great...Least it stops when you need it too!!
    Can you describe the post-mortum on it?

Brake systems are fairly simple systems, and I'd be interested in what was the final result or cause of the "complete" failure.

Simply coming on here and stating things like that are not useful in any way to a solution if someone is having a similar problem.

I guess I should go play the lottery as mine stops w/o issue since having the last brake-update done on it, and I don't drive lightly, I've done several 100mph+ stops down to 40mph, stopped an un-braked 6000lb trailer, and routinely heat up my brakes in NYC traffic.

So do please tell us the details of your problem and what the cause was.

-mike
    they did fix my brakes at least 7 times since 2004, the main problem it vibrates at high speed. I think the rotors are 'kinda messed-up & needs a new one or needs to be cut.you think they extend the warranty on this issue?
    Its very simple.... I would need to stop. I would press the brake, the brake would go to the floor and would not stop. Turn the Armada on and off again and problem fixed. Happened 8 times. The last time the wife was nearly killed, off the road into a ditch.
    Yes it is helpfull. I told people to email me if they are having the dreaded 2004 brake failure issue and perhaps I could help them.
    They could not find the cause and could not fix the issue. Nissan flew experts in and nobody could figure it out.
    Dont get me wrong your Armada sound like all is well. I wish I had one like yours, so do tons of other people. Good luck with it.
    I wish nobody have the same issues I did. Somebody will get hurt.
    God Bless
    I take it they replaced the ABS Unit, all the sensors, and possibly the VDC ECU, and the Car ECU.

There isn't much else that could cause a problem like that, I also find it very hard to believe that there would be NO BRAKES, they aren't brake-by-wire.

Seems odd to me, something isn't straight on this story, sorry I don't buy the brakes completely failed. That's not how brake systems are setup.

-mike
  • austin55austin55 Member Posts: 3
    My parents have had similar issues with their 2004 Armada. Twice while my mom was driving the car simply would not brake...luckily no one was hurt. When she took the car into Nissan they told her nothing was wrong with the car. Then a few months ago the brakes gave out while my parents were driving on highway. They rear-ended the car in front of them. Luckily they were driving at slow speeds and no one one was hurt. Once again Nissan says they can't find anything wrong with the car. I'm curious to know whether Nissan is doing anything to address your issue?
    Rob -

Would you mind sharing what steps you took to get your refund? I won't let my daughter ride in my parent's Armada because I'm concerned about the brake will give out again. Obviously the ideal situation would be for my parents to get a new car. I'd appreciate and insight you can share.

Thanks.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I agree with Paisan. Something is missing from the stories here, or there is a piece of information that's missing. Complete brake failure on a modern vehicle (especially in the U.S, which the stringent DOT standards) is virtually unheard of here on a late model vehicle. Anyone who has indepth familiarity with servicing brake system will know what I'm speaking of. Granted things can happen with older vehicles that are not properly maintained or serviced, but the examples cited here are vehicles that are less than 3 years old. If there was a real issue here, NHTSA would be all over this immediately as complete brake failure is so obviously inherently dangerous. Is it possible that the examples being cited have other factors the writers did not mention?...for example slippery road conditions or operator error? Sure, it seems painfully obvious that the early Armadas has brake rotors that probably weren't beefy enough for American drivers and the weight of the truck (this is not unique to the Armada, and a lot of it is a function of the manufacturers trying to reduce vehicle weight, not to save a few dollars as you might think), but complete brake failure???
    My dad was also skeptical about my mom's claims that the "brakes gave out". He also chalked it up to "operator error" that is until it happened to him. Everytime the problem occurred it was a sunny day (we live in TX) so no slippery roads. I don't know what the problem is but I'm just hoping they can find some resolution so that I can feel comfortable letting my daughter ride in her grandparent's car.
  • bradj3bradj3 Member Posts: 3
    Please read the messages concerning Armada brake sssues listed in the below edmunds link.
    Brake Problems
    Yup, you are making my point in a more eloquent manner. Perhaps they weren't complete failure, rather power-brake failure? Most drivers of today's cars would think that failure of the power brakes is equal to total brake failure, however there was a time when power brakes were optional. If the power brakes were to fail, you'd need to push very hard against the pedal in order to get brakes, however you would in fact get brakes by pushing hard.

I think there is some facts missing from these stories that we (or even those posting) are unaware of.

-mike
  • susanlemaysusanlemay Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved in the 2007 version of the vehicle? If not, does this issue occur also in the Infiniti QX56?
    I think this is an isolated issue on 2004 models only.

05+ have not reported any issues.

-mike
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Mike, see the link that bradj3 posted. Could the VDC be affecting the brakes that significantly? One would think that the VDC would have a fail safe mode that would prevent that.
    My guess is that it is involving the VDC computer or the ABS computer (may be one in the same). That's why I was asking if they had replaced all the ABS sensors and the VDC/ABS ECU.

-mike
  • oscosc Member Posts: 2
    My Armada did the same thing for a year. The dealership did nothing because they said when they put the tester to it did not read anything was wrong. They told me I had to leave the car running, I told them what am I supposed to do when it does It again drive 10 miles with no brakes and end up in an accident. I happened to be across the street from a dealership when it did it again I pulled up and left the car running so they could put the tester to It and they told me I could not use the car because I had no brakes and they got me a rental. It turns out that It was some kind of booster. I called a layer but he said I had no damages so I could not Sue for endangerment. I feel we should file a class Action law Suit for negligence. What do you think since it happened to you. Let me know ASAP. Thank You, "O"
  • oscosc Member Posts: 2
    It happen to me and your right the Armada will finally come to a stop. But when you are driving and everything is normal then to have to make a quick stop it is not the same and you as a drive do not think something like this is going to happen so you are not prepared so if you are close to another car you WILL hit that car ( it takes longer for you to stop ) I guess you have not had this happed to you so I'll tell you what. Get your family in the car and drive on the rain and come to a situation were you have to stop suddenly so you will avoid an accident!!!!
  • kjohnson334kjohnson334 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Nissan Armada SE 4x4, and I tow a enclosed trailer that with my bikes and everything else in it weighs about 6000 lbs every weekend. I always have a full vehicle as well and the car now has 15,000 miles and i haven't had a problem yet. This truck runs circles around my previously owned 04 Ford F-150 4x4 with the 5.4 liter motor. My Nissan gets better gas milage and out tows the ford 10 to 1. I have driven fords all my life but never again after owning this Armada. I also work on all types of vehicles (I own a car stereo and accessory shop) and Nothing I have driven compares to the Armada in any field. It sits more passengers with more comfort, the ride is great and has more power than the expedition, tahoe, saburban, or durango. Also it holds its value a lot better than any american SUV on the market. I love this truck and will own Nissan for the rest of my life.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/turbo_talon08/Armada.jpg
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    I just put on a set of these Michelins and am amazed the difference in the ride... I highly recommend if you are in the market for tires to give them a try on your Armada..They are quieter, feel better in the curves and even seem to absorb the ruts and bumps better than the old Contis... Got all 4 installed at Costco for $850...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you get the Costco-Michelin $60 coupon sale that's going on now until 2/4?
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Yes I did.. I was holding out for that.. Covered the cost of installation and taxes...
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    It is good to hear about those tires at costco, because I am also planning to get them. Actually, last month I was going to get set of 4, but the guys at costco told me I am still fine. So I did a round trip from TX to CA. Did lots of snow and off-roading and the truck was wanderfull. Tires are still fine, almost no difference after 5000miles.
    A friend of mine, who ownes hummer-1(real military I guess), drove mine in the mountains north of LA, off interstate 5, and after an hour he offered me to pay complete price I paid for my truck(I bought it used, 2006) and also purchase my tickets back to TX :)
    He was really impressed how Armada 4x4 LE handled the off-road anywhere he took to. He is a really off-road guy, so I trust him and now I trust my truck as well for off-roading.

-haro
    Just take your running boards off and the front air-dam below the bumper and you'll be good for offroading.

-mike
    Mike,

I agree, there was lots of mud under the running boards, and because it is not flat under, it took me lots of time just to wash under the running boards.

Why should I take air-dam off? Is it easy, how?

Thanks,
    -haro
    Well I was saying take off the running boards and air dam if you are offroading. If you are just mudding it up a bit then you could probably take a subaru outback wherever you are going as the running boards and air dam give you about the same clearance as them.

The 1 time I did some serious offroading with my Armada I was rubbing the running boards and air dam over boulders and rocks the whole way. Luckily I didn't damage them too badly but next time I'll unbolt them before doing any offroading.

-mike
  • rmsingrmsing Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 Nissan Armada about six months ago and have had very little problem at this time.
    But there is an issue that I need to bring to all Armada owners that are not aware of it and that could cause a fire in the cabin of the vehicle.

problem: The glove compartment was constructed with no light switch to turn the light bulb off at night. The light is hardwired and turns on when the head lights are turned on. I recently took a night trip out of town and noticed that the glove light stayed on throughout my trip. My wife checked the glove compartment temperture and found it to be very hot and had to remove all of the contents inorder to prevent a fire.

I have called Nissan and complained and asked them to recall and install a switch and they have declined. This problem involves all 2004-2007 Nissan Armadas and is an engineering oversight.

This is a serious problem and most owners and dealers are unaware of this issue that could cause the contents in their glove compartment to catch on fire. If you are an owner are know someone that is, contact Nissan and a Nissan dealer about this problem as soon as possible.

I nor any of the dealers nor anyoneelse that I have spoken to about this problem, have ever herd of a car that had no glove compartment turn off switch. Strange Problem, don't you think!
    I'll check mine but I'm fairly certain it does not stay on while the box is closed.

-mike
    I am sure mine stays on, but I noticed it right after changing in-cabin air filter, which requires removing
    glove-box. And so I thought something I did wrong while replacing air filters. After that I tried to figure-out what went wrong, but I could not find any switch. I also several times checked the temperature and touched actually the bulb, including sometime on very long trip, and to me it was not hot at all, so I thought it is OK.

-haro
  • cherylhanscherylhans Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2006 Armada SE since 7/06. We are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow, and I thought I would switch over from 2WD to 4WD in preparation for bad weather in the morning. Since this is the first time I am using this feature, and have never driven a 4WD vehicle before, I was wondering if what I am feeling is normal. When I turn the wheels to the right or left, it almost feels like the truck is out of gear. I backed out of my driveway with my wheels sharply to the right, had my foot on the gas, and was not going anywhere, almost like a transmission problem. I put the truck in drive, and then reverse a few times back and forth, and was able to get going. I put the truck into "auto", and now it seems to be okay. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Does the "auto" work the same way as 4WD? The owner's manual does not give much information on this. Any help/advice appreciated.
    Cheryl
    Cheryl,

Here is a brief synopsys of the systems. What you were experiencing if you were doing this on "dry" pavement was driveline bind and it's completely normal if you had it in 4-hi or 4-lo.

2wd- Great for dry pavement, and gas savings. This mode can be activated in any conditions (wet, slippery, dirt road, snow, etc)

Auto- This is the AWD mode, great for use in rain, snow, or any conditions that might throw a slippery condition at you but also includes dry roads. I use this during "spirited" dry driving, all rain situations, and snow situations. It will shift the torque Front to Back up to 50/50 split with it normally applyinga about 20/80 split.

4-Hi- For use only in Snowy/Muddy/Off-road situations where the wheels will not have traction. This mode locks the front/rear torque split at 50/50 and thus on dry pavement can cause damage to the system when turning as it tries to turn all the wheels at the same speed, but on dry pavement turning the front wheels will want to turn faster than the rears when you enter the turn, and you will get binding, which is what you were experiencing. I use this mode when offroading, or in snowy conditions where I have to get through deep snow.

4-Lo - Same as 4-hi, except that it effectively doubles your torque at any given engine RPM which means that the wheels will turn slower (about 1/2 as fast) for any given RPM than in 4-hi, this gives you power to break through let's say a snow-bank created by a snow plow or in extremely deep snow. In this mode VDC is turned off and you can effectively spin your wheels out of deep snow or mud. I rarely use this mode execpt offroading and on steep boat ramps pulling the boat out of the water where I need the extra power to pull it out of the water.

I hope this helps!

-Mike
  • delanpdelanp Member Posts: 9
    Mike,

Thanks for a very clear breakdown of the transmission system. I have an '06 Armada and am out here in the middle east..lots of desert to play in. I've been here a year and only just last week managed to get out and 'play'. Before here, I was in Dubai for 5 years so have had quite a lot of experience in the dunes...and actually rarley got stuck. I had a Pajero which had a rear differential lock..helped a lot. OK that's the background...now the question.

In the desert I usually have the Armada in Auto, but something you said in your note may explain an observation I had a couple of times. When pulling away in relatively soft sand, the rear wheels would tend to dig in, and I'd almost get stuck. From your note, I'm now attributing this to the 20:80 split of torque to the back wheels when in 'auto'. Correct? If so, I should drive in 4 Hi/Lo to get the 50:50 split and prevent the digging in.

I also got the chance to implement the suggestion of another 'poster' who told me to switch off the VDC that caused a grinding noise everytime I put a bit of stress on the front drive train when in the sand. Turned it off..grinding gone completely.

That's it. Again, thanks for the clear breakdown, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Pete Delaney (Doha, Qatar)
    Yup, you are diggin in cause the majority of the power 20/80 split initially, is in the rear. In Auto it will vary for 0/100 to 50/50 based on slippage, however in general it's 20/80 for the most part. In the sand keep it in 4-hi or 4-low for 50/50 traction, in 4-lo it'll turn off VDC by default, however your ABLS will still work which is pretty kick butt effectively giving you a front and rear Limit Slip Diffy, not as good as a locker but decent.

Got any jobs over there for me? I'm looking to bail on the Wall-street Comodity trading job and head back to Computer Support...

-mike
    I have a 2004 Armada, my tire sensor light keeps beeping and the Light for tire pressure on the dash board is also on each time I drive my car on the for about 30-40 minutes on the highway. The only time the light will turn off is when I turn off the engine for 10 minutes or if i got off the h-way and go local for 10 minutes. My tire pressure is at 35 psi(as recommended) and sometimes I put it to 38 or 40 psi just to check if it will go away. This problem occurs anytime of the day (winter or summer).I took a picture of the tire sensor light while it is on and brought it to the dealer (picture) and the dealer refuse to fix my truck's problem because by the time I reach their place the light is already off and they told me that when they hook up the diagnostic check tester they cannot found any problem. My warranty will end in 2 months please help..........
  • vicguatevicguate Member Posts: 3
    hello, do your self a solid one, dont even think of getting an armada. i've had problems with it sins the beginning

1. window rattles when half way down
    2. all door panel squeak as well as the dash board
    3. banging noise when putting in gear
    4. past month chech engine light has been coming on vehicle runs rough , dealers cant fit
    5. paint is pealing off
    6. service manager dont return my call
    7. nissan n/a dont even want to hear it ,
    8. nav computer is lost half of the time
    9. when you you go over bums feels front end is loose and feels like is going to drop.
    10. brake problems , been replaced ones and tern 2 times.
    11. nave screen panel rattleling/ fix was to drill 2 washers and re install on holding screews .

over all the truck sucks, the dealers suck , nissan na suck , well you get my point ,

I almost bought an bmw x5, the only reason i bought the armada. is that it was bigger that x5, now i kick my self in the [non-permissible content removed]

bmw has a better warranty, bumper to bumper for 4 years 50,000 miles. istead of geting the 545, get the 530, you dont need the v8 , good luck in getting the vehicle
    please do your self a solid dont get a nissan armada
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    try glass doctor araund you
    To the folks downing the Armada. Any car you will have those who think it should be "perfect" they are mechanical devices and will have issues. You can buy a $100,000 Mercedes Benz and still have issues.

-mike
    have a 2004 Armada, my tire sensor light keeps beeping and the Light for tire pressure on the dash board is also on each time I drive my car on the for about 30-40 minutes on the highway. The only time the light will turn off is when I turn off the engine for 10 minutes or if i got off the h-way and go local for 10 minutes. My tire pressure is at 35 psi(as recommended) and sometimes I put it to 38 or 40 psi just to check if it will go away. This problem occurs anytime of the day (winter or summer).I took a picture of the tire sensor light while it is on and brought it to the dealer (picture) and the dealer refuse to fix my truck's problem because by the time I reach their place the light is already off and they told me that when they hook up the diagnostic check tester they cannot found any problem. My warranty will end in 2 months please help..........
  • floridarmadafloridarmada Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem with my tire sensor light (Armada 2006) I had it at the dealers shop at least 6 times FIANLLY they figured out that there are internal batteries in each tire sensor in each tire. One of the batteries they said was dead from the factory. They replaced the battery and it has been fine (KNOCK ON WOOD) for 8 months. The same thing was happening...they would reset it with the computer and it would come back on as soon as I left the lot! Good-Luck..
    DOug
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    To amplify what Mike said...

On the Armada, "4-Hi" is a part-time 4WD mode, meant for slippery surfaces—only! On dry pavement, in tight turns you will get that "crow-hopping" that you experienced. That's normal, and that's why it's a "part-time 4WD" mode.

I would leave it in the "Auto" mode, as that will (automatically) kick in and out of 4WD as needed. Think of it as sort of a full-time 4WD, in that you can leave it in "Auto" year-round. You may use a bit more gas, but you won't risk damaging the vehicle.

Bob
  • squiddlydiddlysquiddlydiddly Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 04 Armada and had a really bad experience that resulted in me hiring a lemon lawyer after being fed up with the service dept and Nissan of NA. The lawyer made out way better than we ever could have expected and after all was done we were without an Armada. I am looking at an 06 now. Any comments, words of encouragement or warnings?
    I'm hoping that since the first year Nissan has worked the bugs out.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    I have read where some 2006 models are still having the brake juggle problem. I would stay away from everything except the 2007's. I filed lemon on my 2004 for the brake issue. The only problem I have actually had with the vehicle. Currently at 29,000 miles. Nissan sent an engineer to fix the brake after 4 attempts by the dealer. So far so good after 8,000 miles. I have no confidence it will last.
    Nissan said dealer had instaled some of the old design parts. Tall to the technician. He said BS. :lemon:
    I'll be picking up my 9,000lb boat trailer within a month, so I'll let you guys know how it tows on a regular basis.

-mike
  • forejudosforejudos Member Posts: 3
    Do any of you hear a humming noise when the fan is turned on at level 1 or 2? For mine the noise originates from the motor blower beneath the glove box.

I didn't know if it was just me being hyper-sensitive, but I was curious to hear if this is common to Armadas, or Nissans in general.
  • bigarmada4bigarmada4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Armada and it rolls back on any incline whether it's steep or just slightly inclined.