Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• oddysseyoddyssey Member Posts: 6
    Yep, They said they do not get any codes at all and to keep bringing it in every time it stalls. They also said that it would probably have to get worse before they find something.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    My recommendation is just a shot in the dark, but you have nothing to lose. The next time it happens wiggle your key in your ignition switch to see if the vehicle will restart. Sometimes the ignition switch goes bad, especially if you have a ton of junk hanging on your keychain. Also, the keys are chipped. Try a different key. Hopefully the trouble isn't in your steering column with whatever it is that reads the chip in the key as that is hard to diagnose.

Honestly though, it could be a ton of things and I would not want to be in your position as the stalling could get you killed.
  • barkinglamabarkinglama Member Posts: 1
    Depending on how far and how long you are driving between shut offs, it could be a problem with your anti theft unit and key.

My 2004 did the same thing in the first week. The dealer never programed the fob to the vehicle. So it could be a problem with the key or the antitheft box.

Good luck. I hope your dealers are better than mine.
  • ginnymginnym Member Posts: 1
    Hey
    I hate hear that you are having such problems. I have spent several years under the hood of vehicles and this problem sounds simple. When does it shut off? Is it at a red light or stop sign or when you are going real slow? If so have them test you alternator, it could be it is bad or going bad and it is not keeping your battery charged so the vehicle shuts down. They should have already checked this but if I know dealership service departments they have not. If they give you and grief just find a local garage any ask them to check the alternator. I wish you were close by I would love to help.
  • gengler21gengler21 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I recently bought a 2005 Nissan Armada SE, 45,000 miles. The front AC and the first row floor AC work perfectly. The rear air conditioner has no air flow. I checked and re checked the AC button functionality. I replaced all the fuses pertaining the to HVAC and blower circuits. Nothing has worked. Before going to nissan and paying out my nose...does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Please respond! Can you email me also at gabriel.gengler@gmail.com?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Why do you have to go to Nissan and pay through your nose? You could go to a local mechanic and do the same.... ;)

Have you checked the circuit with a tester to see if power is getting to the unit? Sounds like a blown motor but to guess at something like this without testing a few things is like shooting a shotgun in the dark.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    There are several ways to operate the AC in the 2nd Row. My guess is that it's the buttons that are the issue.

-mike
    The several ways that you mentioned. Are they explained in the owners manual or do you need the factory repair manual? Just curious...
    They should be in the regular manual. For instance if you have it on "R" for the fan then you have to control it from the rear controls. If the rear is "on" but the front control for the rear is "off" then it won't work. Also if you have heat on it only comes out the floor vents. If you have AC on it only comes out the top vents. You can't have hot air come from the top and can't have cold air from the bottom.

-mike
    That's exactly how my Denali's rear controls work. If the main control in the front is "OFF" the rear controls will not work. This of course is all explained in the owner's manual.
    I'm not sure how the Denali's worked but I know that you can turn the rear off in the from the front controls or put it on "rear control" or control the setting for the rear from the front. It can be confusing. In 08 they allow the rear to actually direct hot air out of the top and cold air out the bottom if you wish, similar to the traditional controls found on the front.

-mike
    the front's control of the rear is set to "off"?
  • mom15mom15 Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 Nissan Armada has had the recall problems on the brakes repaired. I have since been experiencing problems with the emergency brake suddenly being engaged without me touching the brake. It may happen when you start the car or while driving down the road. I must stop the car and pull over, turn the car off, and when I restart the car it will usually be gone. It happens about once a month. The dealer said they could not find anything wrong and had not heard of this problem. Has anyone else had this problem or a possible solution?
    Emergency Brake? How could it be "activated" there is no such thing, the E-brake is the pedal on the far left, and can only be manually set. There is no physical way for the brake to be set or unset without hitting the pedal on the far left under the dash!

-mike
  • jesnmikeljesnmikel Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. 2004 Armada, it was stalling after a back up and shifting into drive. yesterday my wife, 2 yo and 125# mastiff had the truck stall on the causeway bridge while going 60 mph and no break down lane. She was pushed to a crossover and when I got there I was able to start it with no CEL. That usually happens. Everyone is saying "it's the fuel filters". I'm sure if I drive it in to a mech. they are going to say "ughh can't find anythng wrong." If it were the alternator wouldn't we be having trouble statrting it up? I have plenty of juice in the battery. Any other ideas? We have a regular key and not much hanging off of it.(regarding he ignition replies) thanks
    I guess I assumed it was the emergency(parking)brake. While driving, the "brake" light comes on the indicator area. The brake is what the manual says indicates the parking brake is set or the fluid level is low. It behaves like some brake in engaged, hard to drive, burning smell and grinding noise. It will allow you to use the normal brake pedal to stop the vehichle. You have to turn and off and restart to get the brake light to go off. The dealer has checked the fluid level and this complaint several times. It only happens occasionally and we can find no correlation between anything else and when it happens.
    there is a direct correlation from pad wear to brake fluid level. In other words as the pads wear down so does the level of brake fluid in the reservoir as more fluid goes into the line to keep pressure on the calipers.

Not sure if this helps you but figured you might want to know.
    I'm having the same problem. 2004 Armada, it was stalling after a back up and shifting into drive. yesterday my wife, 2 yo and 125# mastiff had the truck stall on the causeway bridge while going 60 mph and no break down lane. She was pushed to a crossover and when I got there I was able to start it with no CEL. That usually happens. Everyone is saying "it's the fuel filters". I'm sure if I drive it in to a mech. they are going to say "ughh can't find anythng wrong." If it were the alternator wouldn't we be having trouble statrting it up? I have plenty of juice in the battery. Any other ideas? We have a regular key and not much hanging off of it.(regarding he ignition replies) thanks

I would lean toward a faulty ignition module or a faulty key-code. This is common on some early anti-theft coded keys on Subarus in the '04-05 model years and guess what? Nissan and Subaru source a lot of their components from the same place so I'd start there.

-mike
    I guess I assumed it was the emergency(parking)brake. While driving, the "brake" light comes on the indicator area. The brake is what the manual says indicates the parking brake is set or the fluid level is low. It behaves like some brake in engaged, hard to drive, burning smell and grinding noise. It will allow you to use the normal brake pedal to stop the vehichle. You have to turn and off and restart to get the brake light to go off. The dealer has checked the fluid level and this complaint several times. It only happens occasionally and we can find no correlation between anything else and when it happens.

Did you notice if it was the front or rear brakes that were burning? It seems that perhaps you left the parking brake on or depressed it inadvertently?

-mike
    That is what the dealer said. I have never used the parking brake. It happens either when I start the car or while driving down the road. The brake light appears and it behaves like the parking brake is engaged. I can not tell if it is the front or rear brakes that appear to smell like they are burning.
    Next time it happens, see if you can pull over and see if it's front or rears. I'm leaning toward you in-advertently hitting the parking/emergency brake on the car.

-mike
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Does the car shudder when you apply the brakes and make a sound like the abs is kicking in? What you are describing vaguely resembles what happened to me. It requred an ABS reprogramming by the dealer and took about an hour or so. Like you, mine reset when I would turn the vehicle off and back on. There is a TSB out on it. I had the TSB performed and it has not happened again.
  • dehalldehall Member Posts: 10
    Hi! My 2005 Armada does the same thing. Did you ever find out what was causing the stopping? I haven't taken mine to the dealer yet because I have the warranty still in effect but it will cost me $100.00 to have it checked and as you and others have said it shows no engine ckeck lights at all. It appears to stop when and where it wants to, unless it stops and not move the maintenance man can't fix what ain't broken. My vehicle will start right up and run great until it stops again. Sometime mine will sputter and not stop and sometime it will stop after the sputted. I can tell the mechanic anything but until he can see it happen he can't attempt to fix a thing. Keep in touch, dehall762!
  • cja1cja1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an 04 Armada and two days ago I was driving, hit the brakes and the brakes shuddered and I heard this high pitch sound from the engine area. :confuse: Problem was that it kept doing as I drove home. Late evening so I continued home tapping the brake long before reaching red lights (other drivers upset with me) as the brakes were not stoping at the regular distance and the sound was disturbing. Brake light was staying on. Next norning went to the dealer and of course when I started the truck to leave no brake light and no braking problem. Yep, dealer found nothing wrong since could not duplicate. They suspected the ABS but Nissan would not authorize replacing the ABS actuator? Could my incident be the same as yours? What is a TSB?
    Uh..I bought the extended warranty.
    That it's basically the smae problem i'm having and none of the delaers I've taken it to seem to know how dangerous it can be. It stalled 4 times before the dealer said that it was the fuel pump. Supposedly they installed a new fuel pump and it has only stalled once since. So it must have helped something, however, now the car jerks all of a sudden or won't accelarate. Good luck with your problem, please let me know what you figure out.
    Please let me know if they figure anything out because my cars been doing the smae thing now for almost two months and none of the dealers have really helped. I got my fuel pump replaced and it helped but it still sputters some.
  • gengler21gengler21 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, for those that answered my rear AC problem, the dealer had to replace the rear AC assembly because it fried. Now that works. On the way home from the dealership, the door ajar light came on and stays on and the rear wipers don't work (it was raining). Anyone have a clue on this? (More fried electronics? Fuse?) I need ideas!
    So far, not happy with the 2005 Armada.
    Sounds like you should take it back to the dealer as it seems they forgot to plug in a few wires.
    Yeah my guess is they may have forgotten something when they did the rear AC replacement.

-mike
  • gbajagbaja Member Posts: 13
    my '04 armada's compass and weather temp (located in the mirror) indicator is busted. Do they have a separate lithium battery or a fuse? THANKS
    maybe you turned it off? There is a switch on the mirror itself that turns it off and on.

-mike
    Oddyssey, my fuel pump, computer both were replaced but the dealer didn't check the vehicle and it stopped again. When the car was finally checked the IPDM (Intergrated Power Distributor Module) was replaced, it was kept a day to see if it would continue to operate normally so far, it is corrected. If you haven't had it checked on your vehicle , do it. FORD has a recall for the same problem, but they knew the problem, and how to correct it.
    The IPDM (intergrated Power Distributou Module) caused my ARMADA to stop while driving. The fuel pump and Computer both were replaced but until the IPDM was replaced the problem existed. Now it is working as it did when I purhased it. FORD Motors has a recall for the same probled but the knew the problem and inititated their recall, not NISSAN.
    change the IPDM (Intergrated Power Distributor Module) and your problem should be corrected. It corrected my stopping problem.
    Have the IPDM (iIntergrated Power Distributor Module) replaced and your problem should be corrected, it corrected the stopping problem that I had with my 2005 ARMADA. FORD has a recall on their vehicles for the same problem but they knew how to correct the problem, NISSAN didn't. Hope this correct your stopping problem as it did mine.
  • viciouspixelviciouspixel Member Posts: 1
    I had this exact same problem occur repeatedly with my 2005 Infiniti QX56 (it's the same as the Armada). The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem and refused to fix anything after 3 visits (about a week total in the shop). The next time it happened (visit #4), I parked the truck on their lot and refused to drive it until they fixed it. The repeated words "This vehicle isn't safe and shouldn't be driven" finally seemed to get through to them. I wasn't about to risk my life and lives of others in this vehicle.

I guess it took being persnickity to get them to budge because guess what?... There was a problem with the ABS. And they knew about it. It took 4 visits to the dealer for Infiniti to authorize the warranty repair!

To be fair, I may not have explained things correctly to the dealer. At first, I too thought it was a problem with the emergency brake. If the emergency brake light comes on, isn't it reasonable for the lay person to assume there's a problem with the emergency brake? How the heck would I know what all the error codes are and what all the flashy blinky lights mean? I'm not a mechanic.

But I do find it really hard to believe the dealer doesn't know about this problem now. I did my kicking and screaming to Nissan about a year ago, and it seems that other people in this forum have been through similar things. Your dealer should look at his tech bulletins again.

I wouldn't go quite so far to say the Armada/QX56 is a lemon, but it really has had more than it's share of problems. Am I too demanding to want my brakes to work, or not have the car suddenly grind to a stop on the freeway?

On the bright side, I'm really happy with my new 2008 Land Rover I traded for the Infiniti. Just hope I'm not going from the frying pan into the fire.
  • mobydocmobydoc Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem when I bought my truck two yrs ago . It was brand new at the time. Dealer in Belleville, Il told me it is a common problem and had the whole sensor changed. it has been fine since.
    I just came back from the dealer and told them that the other day my brake light was on and my brakes are grinding while sitting on the traffic. It happen 3 times in less than 10 minutes and I have to turn off the engine to restart the computer and other gizmos on these %#@*^%#* truck. The dealer cant find anything wrong and told me to bring the truck while the brake light is on so they can see it with their computer reader. How can you drive a vehicle in that condition, can anybody give me an intelligent suggestion to my problem? thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While standing in traffic, does the grinding noise go away if you apply more force to the brake pedal?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    no it doesnt go away even if you push the pedal a little more or pump it, this sounds like the ABS is engaging for no reason. The only time it will stop from grinding & turning off the brake light on my dashboard is when I turn off the engine completeley and start it again....what do you think I have here pal.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Just a guess but it could be one of the speed sensor, hydraulic control unit or the electronic control unit for your ABS system. Anyone else have any ideas?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I believe it's a software update on the brake control unit. Fairly common on the Armada and has been discussed I believe higher up in this thread.

-mike
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Had the same problem. There is a TSB out on it. The need to reprogram the ABS module. It takes abou an hour or so.
    Thanks for the info guys. BTW if there is a TSB (to reprogram the TSB module) are they going to fix it for free if your are out of warranty? Thanks again............
  • mschlisselmschlissel Member Posts: 2
    To all who have had problems with the Armada stalling and losing power, you also cant accelerate, my dealer is very good and helpful and after many weeks in the shop we think we conquered it. We worked through the main airflow filter down to the catalytic converter, inbetween also the airflow manifold also was replaced all seems well now , the mechanic kept the car and kept driving it each time it happened he put it on the computer and fixed the problem that came up reset the computer and drove it again.
  • kap78kap78 Member Posts: 1
    It happend to me while test driving w/the sales rep. this was a 05. He acted like he never heard of such a thing, but after reading all of these threads, i call B.S.
  • mschlisselmschlissel Member Posts: 2
    To all who read that we have found the answer to the stalling and loss of power problem we have had a reoccurrence and the Armada is back in the shop, the head mechanic who is supposed to be one of the top ones on the east coast said if i cant find the answer Nissan Headquarters will be contacted. I will keep you updated.
  • daculatazdaculataz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Armada that after you have stopped and taken the keys out and have left the car, it will flash the lights, blow the horn and lock the doors on its own. It will repeat this every 15 to 30 minutes. Sooner or later it will quit, but will start back up later. It also does it when you are driving sometime. I wanted to see if anyone has run into this problem? :confuse:
    Sounds like it's going into panic mode. I've hit the panic button by accident and set it off.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • steveo1515steveo1515 Member Posts: 2
    My question to you guys is I am in the market for A new large SUV & I love the 2008 Armada, but from what I read like Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers and most of the unbias consumer mags. They rip on the Armada like no other large SUV on the market. I have owned several Nissans & they have all been great cars. Is the Armada that bad of A SUV ? Would it be throwing good money away if I purchased one? If they are such A bad SUV why has Nissan not done A better job in their large SUV segment and fix the problems. I don't know, I want the new 2008 Armada but I am very worried that it's A very large piece of JUNK!!!! What should I do? Thanks guys, Steveo1515