Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• brad701brad701 Member Posts: 20
    Take a look at the 2008 Consumer Reports Buying Guide and you will see a huge improvement in the frequency of repair history for the '06 Armada versus the two earlier years. Granted in '06 there was still lots of room for improvement, but if you read the posts here from owners of '07's and '08's there seems to be a clear trend towards improvement. CR has continued to predict low reliability ratings because of all the disappointing past experiences, because that's all the data they had when they tabulated the results recently published. Sounds to me like Nissan is on the right track, but if having a problem free vehicle is your highest concern, this may not be the truck for you. I still don't think you can buy one today and expect a completely problem free vehicle. But will the issues be as severe as they were in '04 and '05, not likely. If you really love the truck, I would suggest it's now worth a look, keeping in mind that the truck may still not yet be bulletproof. Five months ago I bought a new QX56 (Infiniti's sister to the Armada) and I've had no trouble at all, perhaps I've been lucky.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My 04 has been nearly trouble free (had to tighten a sway bar, and had the brake upgrades done by nissan, both covered under warranty).

For the $ you aren't going to find a more comfortable, capable vehicle. As with any vehicle there will be bad ones and good ones. Just the luck of the draw.

I haven't heard any catch fire like the new GM SUVs I heard on the news last night.

I tow 10,000lb High Performance Boat with mine and it tows it well and gets 10.5mpg at 65mph on the highway. Not too shabby if you ask me.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • steveo1515steveo1515 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys for you quick reply to my many questions, about negutave reviews on the 2008 Armada. Your answers have help me and my wife on this subject. But when spending very close to 50K I want to make A good and wise choice. If anyone else wants to reply I would like to here what you guys think. Also would the extra money for the Inf. QX56 be the better choice????????????
    Thanks Again,

Steveo1515
    Having gone through the numbers. It looks like the QX56 for 08 is a bit more expensive, and only gets HID headlights (you could get them for the Armada for about $135 on Amazon) a different look, painted roof rails, Infinity dealer service (loaner cars?), adaptive cruise control?, and perhaps 2nd row heated/cooled seats?

I don't think the few things available on the QX56 that aren't available on the Armada are worth the extra $$$$$.

-mike
    Depends on how the aftermarket system is setup. For instance I do security installs on Subarus, and we designed our fuel-cut system to cut the ground wire on the fuel pump relay. So in theory if a part of our security system failed the fuel pump would cut out. This is also the most secure way to protect your car.

If I had to guess I'd say it's an IPDM issue.

-mike
  • mcromneymcromney Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you ever got this fixed? My 04 Armada is having the same problem. It will stall while driving down the road at 50 mph or when idling. Sometimes it will start right up after I pull off the road and turn the key, other times it will take a couple of tries to get it to start. The dealer has replaced both the fuel pump and the crankshaft position sensor to no avail. They thought that it might have to do with an aftermarket security system that was placed on the car by the dealer before I bought it . The removed the system but left all the wires under the dash. I've removed all the wires so see if that was the problem but it still happens. I called a car alarm dealer and explained the issue and he said that it was impossible for it to be caused by a security system. A security system would only disable a car from starting or even cranking but could never shut off a car while it was already running. He said that would be very dangerous and the systems are never designed to interfere with a car that is running.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of telling the dealer to replace the IPDM. Please let me know whatever happened with your car.
  • ianppkianppk Member Posts: 2
    hello,
    i could really use your help
    i think you are about the only person i have found that is having the same problem i am.
    2007 armada hesitation jerking loss of power
    nissan replaced valve body no change
  • ianppkianppk Member Posts: 2
    first nissan said its your rims and tires,but funny they are the exact same size!
    now they are saying its my exhaust.
    i only had new muffler put on.
    so i take it to a trans shop aa#co,in 5 minutes they diagnose problem as torque converter and lock up solenoid failure.
    my armada is 6 months old 22k
    bad hesitation and jerking real bad on hwy.
  • dehalldehall Member Posts: 10
    The title is incorrect but the problem is the same. Look at these messages and you will find the trouble I had and the solutions that corrected my problem of stalling, sputtering, stopping etc.etc.etc. Item #556, 559, 565, 566, 567,and 568. the messages were sent to several people but the problem that corrected my troubles seemed to be more than one thing, as you read the things that were performed by the dealer. The dealer was only guessing at trying to find the problem and at my expence because it costed me $100.00 each time I took the auto in. under my extended warrenty. Only one time did I get a rental to replace my vehicle, that was the last time, when they put in the module (IPDM) and had to keep the auto and run it to check that it functioned correctly. The replacment of the fuel filter, fuel pump, computer and finally the Intergrated PowerI Distributor Module (IPDM), my stalling,hesitation and stopping problems are over, hope this help you with your troubles. :)
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Here is the list of differences...
    1) Nicer leather and interior appointments (a very noticeable difference in both my wife's and my opinions)
    2) Better sound deadening all over the vehicle (see #13)
    3) Longer warranty
    4) HID headlights versus regular headlamps
    5) More exterior paint/colors
    6) More interior color choices
    7) Add heated rear seats vs N/A
    8) Body color rear splash guards vs Black
    9) Electroluminescent instrument panel vs N/A
    10) Burr-Brown audio upgrade vs N/A
    11) rear camera has a slightly better view due to its higher mounting--less of the rear bumper in the picture
    12) Chrome wheels and spare vs N/A
    13) 400 lbs heavier--I assume more sound deadening and upgraded interior materials
    14) Loaners provided when bringing Truck in for Service
    15) Chrome side moulding vs. body color (plus fender flares?)
    16) Leather center console top vs. rubber and plastic
    17) chrome roof rails vs. satin finish
    18) captains chairs seating easily available / split bench harder to find vs. split bench easily available / captains chairs nearly impossible to find
    19) all windows auto up/down vs. only front windows auto up/down
    20) real wood and aluminum interior accents vs. plastic and simulated wood interior accents
    21) useless analog clock vs nice little cubby for something ipod sized
    22) LED Tail/brake lights vs. Regular bulb lights
    23) 3rd row seats matching leather vs matching vinyl
    24) Engine tuned a bit for a few more HP & torque
    25) 24/7 free Roadside assistance forever for original owner

Personally...we just purchased a QX and love it. Is it worth the money over the Armada? Depends on your definition of "worth" it? You get most of the QX in the Armada, but you don't get the subtle luxuries. We wanted those and they are well worth the added $$$ for us!
  • momof4nowmomof4now Member Posts: 7
    This sounds like the same problem I am having with my 04 Armada. It has happened several times over the last several months. I took it in once but they couldnt duplicate the problem so they couldnt fix it! That is so frustrating! Last night while driving home (2 hr drive) it sputtered and jerked and lost power all the way home. Every time I went up a hill it would start loosing power. I got off the hwy once and wasn't able to get back on for 4 miles! I couldnt get it over 40 mph and had to drive on the shoulder until finally just taking an exit and staying off of the hwy. This is very dangerous! I cant even think of passing someone on the hwy because it will loose power and then I'm stuck! Did replacing the valve body (I dont know what that is) help your issue?
    Look at these messages and you will find the trouble I had and the solutions that corrected my problem of stalling, sputtering, stopping etc.etc.etc. Item #556, 559, 565, 566, 567,and 568. the messages were sent to several people but the problem that corrected my troubles seemed to be more than one thing, as you read the things that were performed by the dealer. The dealer was only guessing at trying to find the problem and at my expence because it costed me $100.00 each time I took the auto in. under my extended warrenty. Only one time did I get a rental to replace my vehicle, that was the last time, when they put in the module (IPDM) and had to keep the auto and run it to check that it functioned correctly. The replacment of the fuel filter, fuel pump, computer and finally the Intergrated PowerI Distributor Module (IPDM), my stalling,hesitation and stopping problems are over, hope this help you with your troubles. Note: I changed my air filter also.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Since the dealer was "guessing" and switching parts to try and narrow the problem down, did the extended warranty cover all the unnecessary parts that were replaced or did the dealer remove them once the problem identified and corrected?
    My extended warrenty was for any problem I had to take it in and pay the $100.00 and they decide if it was a problem that was under warrenty. Of course I had checked that before I took it in. I waited and tried to get help like you did with this forun, I used several forums and this one gave me the best results. I got a rental only once over the foru times I took it in because it took more than two days to do what they had to do. They were required to test the vehicle after replacing the (IPDM). After $400.00, a computer,fuel filter, fuel pump and IPDM my Armada is OK now. I did change the air filter because of the smoke and sut from the fires hers. :)
  • bboysbboys Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Armada and the radio today started jumping frequencies? It would be on 99.5 and then jump to 99.3 or 99.7 or if I shut the car off then turned it back on after a few minutes the radio would be on a different station or frequency as well. The dealer said this is a new one on them. Had the battery checked and it is fine? Any other suggestions or is anyone else having problems???
    Have you had your vehicle blessed? Another option is have the dealer install a new head unit.
  • luckymom1luckymom1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a total loss engine fire on March 6th, 2008. I noticed a strange, but strong odor while driving my '05 Armada (27,000 miles). Thought it was a truck next to me. Drove 3 miles to my kids school to pick them up. When I started the ignition again, two puffs of smoke came out either side of the engine. Quickly got my 5 & 2 yr. old children out. Within minutes smoke was billowing out of the engine. Within 10 min, the engine was engulfed in flames. Thank God we got out in time. The Fire Captain said it was most likely due to a battery or gas leak. The insurance company declared it a total loss. Nissan has been unwilling to do anything to remedy the situation - especially Nissan Consumer Affairs.

I had multiple issues with the battery not starting and heavy corrosion. They replaced and performed work on the battery for 10 days in Sept. '07. Not sure if it's also related to the glove box.
    Yup, had this on my 04.

It's a loose front sway bar. Get under it with a wrench and tighten it up and you'll be in good shape.

-mike
  • robinj1robinj1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey,
    Trying to see if Nissan found anything wrong with your Armadas transmission our's as well is doing the same and more. Please let me know thank you,
    Jason Robinson
  • robinj1robinj1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey,
    Can you get in touch with me? We have the same problem still today.
    Thanks,
    They still havent found the problem. I dont drive it everyday now so dont think about it as much. One person told me the next time it does it to try taking off the gas cap and then replace it and make sure it clicks, sd maybe pressure building up in tank. I guess lexus wont run if gas cap isnt tight till click so maybe same with Armada...????? I havent tried it, but do make sure I click it now which is something I never did before.....who knows! Usually it stops doing it if we turn truck off and restart so I guess we will just live with it now.... waranty has finally expired and no problem was found.... Hope you find problem while under waranty~!
  • black2black2 Member Posts: 1
    i wanted to tell you thank you for posting your problem and how it was resolved. i bought my armada used a year ago. it had no problems prior to our purchase. just before it reached 80,000 miles it started to die and sputter as i started it again. my extended warranty ran out at 75,000 miles so the dealership was no help. i recently replace the ipdm (a $125part) and it fired up with no problems. my o2 sensor is now out but at least one problem is fixed. thanks for the posting.
    Update. We drove our Armada on a 1400 mile trip to Florida last week. It acted up the whole entire way with spitting and sputtering. We tried the gas cap trick and the turn off and then back on trick and nothing helped for very long. We took it to the Nissan dealer in Ft Lauderdale and were able to drive it around until it was doing it again and they pressure tested the fuel pump and were able to let us know that it was bad. They replaced it. The total cost was $800 parts and labor. Drove it the 1400 miles home with no problems at all! So I do hope that was it. They told us that in order for them to tell it was the fuel pump in this case that it did have to be pressure tested.... I dont really know anything about that but the truck now seems to be fixed and I am thrilled. We love our Armada again!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The recent Armada Tire thread has been given its own discussion:

finnatic, "Nissan Armada Tires and Wheels" #2, 24 Jul 2008 4:54 pm

Please report on your tire replacement choices and ask any other tire or wheel questions you may have in there. Thanks!
  • qinorqinor Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 Armada has been acting up over the past several months sputtering and cutting out. It would die always at the worst times like on the freeway in rush hour traffic but up to this point always restarted right away. It progressively got worse and more frequently to the point that it finally wouldn't restart, fortunately in my driveway. We're on a tight budget so I couldn't take it to a mechanic and I'm fairly inclined so figured I might be able to at least trouble shoot the problem. I went to a Schucks and rented an OBDII code reader but it wouldn't work which I still don't get. Their answer was that it doesn't work on some cars but oddly enough I tried it on our Subaru as well and it wouldn't work on it either. After referring to this sight and consulting others I decided it fit the description of a bad IPDM (Integrated Power Distribution Module) I checked a couple of parts places where they looked at me like I was speaking greek when I asked about an IPDM. I ended up ordering from a local dealership . It took the parts guy a while to look it up. He'd never heard of an IPDM either but after about a half hour and a consult with a technician he called me back with the info. Nissan calls it a Controller, cost $128 (part number 284B6-ZC00A) It wasn't in stock so after waiting for 3 days I received it. The IPDM / Controller is a fuse panel that controls the fuel injectors and fuel pump among many other vital systems. I found instructions at http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/titan-problems-dealer-service/63025-- - ipdm-install-ipdm.jpg?d=1215504792 Be sure to disconnect the battery first. You'll need a 10mm wrench for the neg battery cable and small flat screwdriver to release the clips on the wire connectors. It was a little tricky getting at the panel. It sits aft of the battery and half under the body. The wires were tightly coiled so I carefully worked the panel out enough to see and reach everything. Overall it was simple and quick and doing it myself probably saved hundreds of dollars.
  • towingdudetowingdude Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Armada and have had no problems until this one. 4 months ago I changed the tires to the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's. It was smooth as a baby before and smooth as a baby afterwards. Fast forward 3 months. It develops a shake in the front end. I would describe it as an excessive bounce when I hit a bump but on generally non perfect surfaces it seems to amplify the bumps. Also it has a consistent shake at any speed above 30 mph. At 4 months and 5k miles I took it to the tire store and they rotated and balanced the tires. They stated that the tires were 'grossly unbalanced' - their words. It made the shake/bounce worse. I took it to the dealer twice and they stated they drove it and they said they detected nothing wrong that needed service and recommended changing back to the Conti's it had at delivery. The shake is so irritating I don't want the car anymore - it is unpleasant to drive.
    Sounds like the tires may be bad. Could be bad belts in the tires, or out of round tires.

-mike
    Just ordered up a set of Bilstien front struts for my 05 with 52k miles. Also ordered the Stillen front sway bar, supposedly will firm it up a bit.

Will keep you posted.

-mike
  • gorio1gorio1 Member Posts: 6
    hi, I have a 2004 armada with 39000 miles. Each time I run 60 mph or higher the vehicle moves left or right depending on the surface. Sometimes the wind makes the truck sway. Also, each time i hit a pot hole (not a big pothole) at 40 mph my truck will pull to the left. Can anybody help??? :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Do you have the stock tires? When were they last rotated?
    I just bought a brand new bf goodrich touring (same size) with 500 miles. I had it alligned and balance on the same day. Do I have to change the struts? I only have 39000 h-way miles on it (4 yrs old)... please help.
    Did this problem start after you had the new tires installed?

While it could be the struts, it could also be several other things which without being there would be difficult to check. You would need to put the truck up on a lift and check the front end for excessive play. It could be anything from the struts, to a bent rod or a worn bushing.

If it started after the new tires were installed I'd take it back to the shop that did the alignment and have them check it out.

If it is an ongoing symptom, the alignment shop would be a good place to go to have them go over your front end and see if they can find the problem. You could also check the struts and see if there are any leaks.
    At 40k my front struts were toast. Luckily Bilstien makes replacement front struts for our trucks. They are about $90/each I bought mine at http://www.prgproducts.com/

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/bilstein_replacement_front_titan_struts/-

I haven't put em in yet but Bilstiens are very high quality products.

-mike
    paisan, I have auto levelling suspension in my truck can an ordinary struts or your bilstien will be an ok substitute?
    I have the auto-leveling also. That is only in the rear. You would only be replacing the front struts which won't effect the auto-leveling system.

-mike
  • lovenavylovenavy Member Posts: 15
    how do you open the dipstick to the tranmission oil on the armada? how many quart to refill it? and how many quart of differentail oil do i need?
    The answers are in your owner's manual. If you don't have one you can get one here. In fact there are a ton of things that may be of interest.

Armada owners manual
  • dpratherdprather Member Posts: 2
    I was not aware that when i got my wonderful suv that i had a recall the first month! until my brakes went out and i have spent up until now having changed including the rotors at least 5 times.. and in that time period i kept telling them when i go over a speed pump it grinds like a bad shock or something, my car has now 41,000 miles and im taking it back to them even after the warranty is up because i have the documentaion showing it was there and was a problem they didnt fix when it was under warranty. Is there a law suit i can be a part of reguarding my car? I heard there was one. I dont get involved in law suits but this is crazy! I love this car and wouldnt trade it for another kind but im not going to get stuck with this grinding front end or any other thing that comes up that seems to be the norm for these suvs. I need to know who to talk too!
  • dpratherdprather Member Posts: 2
    Yes i have too! Everytime i take it in they say they cant duplicate the sound... i have an o5 and its been doing it since i got it along with the brake and rotor problem.. at first it was only in the morning then after it warmed up i would go over a pump and it would not make the noise.. now after my warranty is up since i have 41,000 miles it is gettingso bad it sounds like something is broken and it is load so im taking it back this week. I will keep you posted as to what it is and if they fix it! I will bring this message along with the one the other person reponded to you about the sway bar but it sounds like a bad shock or strut and i have told them!
    Actually it's your dealers fault that they didn't repair it for you under warranty, Nissan issued the tsb on the brakes and it's up to your individual dealer to apply the TSB when the car is brought in for the issues effected by the TSB.

:(

-mike
  • lovenavylovenavy Member Posts: 15
    My 06 Armada is 40K mile and out of warranty. I use mobil one synthetic motor oil since new with no problem. I'm a bit hesitant to use synthetic automatic transmission oil and gear oil in the differential because nissan has stated that using any other than the matic j fluid will cause damage to the transmission. any inputs. thanks.
    I run the Nissan fluid in the transmission, just cause it's expensive to replace it!

For my Front and Rear Diffy's I use Amsoil Synthetic and for the transfer case I use Amsoil Synthetic Allison ATF. So far in 50k miles, no issues.

-mike
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Nissan stated that any other fluid will cause damage to the transmission? Where did they state that?
    IIRC it requires Matic-J, which is only available from Nissan.... Maybe a few other car makers use it as well.

-mike
  • baby2004baby2004 Member Posts: 1
    This problem does not occur with all suv's. I had a toyota 4-runner before
    I purchased my 2004 armada, and never had a problem.. I feel your pain
    with the brake/rotor issue. And to top if off with only 70,000 miles on
    mine, the 4th gear and overdrive gave out in mine. Just to rebuild it,
    it is costing 2500.00. And a new one over 5000.00. Believe me, I will
    never own another, and I'll be sticking with a honda or toyota.

good luck to you
    How often have you flushed your coolant? How often have you flushed your Transmission fluid? What kind of towing have you done with it?

I've towed for 40,000 of my 55,000 miles on my truck. Everything from my 6,000lb car trailer to my 11,500lb cigarette boat w/triple axles.

Trans is smooth as silk. Only issues I've had are the initial brake problem which was addressed in late 2005, and just recently my exhaust manifold started to leak.

-mike
    my 2004 armada is all over the highway if the wind blows left or right especially if i am running at 60 mph or over. there was no hurricane or tornado just a regular wind...i have to fight with the wind each time i am on freeway and it really make a lot of movement....i had my tires replace again to michelin cross terrain had it aligned 2x and had the sway bar check, there is no extra play on the wheel........can anybody give me a suggestion what to do? thank you very much...your suggestion is greatly appreciated
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm curious. Do you have a cargo basket or luggage rack on the roof of your Armada?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    How many miles? Perhaps you need new front shocks. I know that the Bilstiens that I put in (you have to put in the ones specified for the titan) have made a big difference. Then again my Armada is usually fairly stable up to about 110mph.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    yes i do have a luggage rack, this problem occured 3 months ago when i made a 720 on the grass after my armada hydroplane on the freeway. before i am hitting more than 100 mph without a problem. i have new tires and i have it aligned and balanced two months ago and the problem is still there. i am now afraid to take my whole family on this vehicle because i feel it is unsafe...please advice...thanks