Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Subframe Rust

2»

Comments

• son_atason_ata Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Alignment...
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    As part of the recall repair procedure, the alignment should have been performed free of charge.
  • mmc3mmc3 Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know if there are any other recalls. I had my sub-frame replaced. However, I am continuously paying for rust damage on other parts of the car. Visually too it looks horrible. The rust to the exterior is insulting, especially since I still have a year to go to pay the car off. If anyone has any advice, please post. I work on a huge, huge military base and I hate to be driving around displaying this terrible spectacle of a RUST-BUCKET.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The constructive part of this post is this: There has been a rust through warranty on most cars for many years and probably if you were to read the warranty statement it would state the terms of repair of rust through assuming your car still is covered.
    Now for the non constructive part: I presume you live somewhere in the so-called "rust belt" which aptly describes the vehicles routinely operated in the corrosives employed by the DOT to melt ice and snow. I do not know your personal mind set to maintenance and car washing but if one does not clean both the exterior body and underside of their car weekly, if not more frequently, during at least the winter, one forfeits the right to complain when rust consumes it. Look around and if you see rusty Hondas (particularly prone to rust), Nissans, Subarus (also prone), Fords, Chevrolets etc then friend you live in Buffalo NY or Erie Pa or another such winter hell-hole and most 9 year old cars are either gone...or going...going... gone due to rust. I guess what I am trying to say is "you reap what you sow" and if car washing isn't a big part of your winter routine then sorry charlie, what do you expect? On the other hand if you actually do wash it on a regular basis 9+ years is still pushing it if the state you live in is particularly snow bound and one other thing...the liquid "pre-treatment" that Pa. (for one) uses is multiple times as corrosive as salt is and will destroy a rocker panel or fender in one winter if not promptly washed off. My personal crusade is a 1995 Stratus and I cannot tell you how many quarters I have plugged into carwashes over the last 8 years I have owned it but I think rust (in the normal areas these rust) will be the end of it. I am "anal" as my wife is fond of telling when it comes to keeping our cars clean but eventually "you loose" to rust if in the "rust-belt".
  • newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    Well the Toyota Camry/Corolla owners around here must be very good winter washers because I don't seem them rusting at that age. My 8 year old Elantra has perforated rust around the rear wheel wells. The warrantee for rust was 5 years. They have upped the warrantee now
    for the 2011 Elantra to 7 years so they must feed more confident now.
  • hch_doctorhch_doctor Member Posts: 17
    Pardon me for jumping in completely off subject... I read one of your posts from June 2010 about your Honda Civic Hybrid's transmission making noise when in drive and reverse. Did you ever get it fixed? I had the same problem and pulled the transmission myself... just a bad bearing. Cost me about $150 to replace it. http://hchdoctorstransmissionpage.yolasite.com Detailed pics and description
  • ml67ml67 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue where the front subframe rusted to the point where I have to replace it and the car is not safe to drive. I'm gonna call Hyndai help desk and see if they can take care of it. it's Hyndai Sonata 2001 113,000 miles. Does any body know if you have to be the original owner to get coverage. I'm not the original owner I just bouhgt it used few months ago.
  • tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    No this recall is not restricted to the original owner. You need to take it to a dealer and the will fix it. Have them call the regional representative if the have any questions.
  • metro1974metro1974 Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 2004 Hyundia Sonata sub frame fixed by Hyundia free. I live in VA which was not included in the recall, but work in DC which was. Hyundia fixed my car with no problem. Not bad for a 11 year car with 98000 miles on it. I have two Hyundia and will buy a replacement Hyundia this year. No other company would have honored the recall they way they did. The Dealer fixed the car in two days.
  • bumpettebumpette Member Posts: 1
    2005 Hyundai Sonata with 57,000 miles on it and the subframe is rusted??? This year should have been included in the recall. The vehicle is not driven far (obviously by the low miles), yet the subframe has rotted. Ridiculous!
  • rotedcarrotedcar Member Posts: 1
    2005 subframe is rusted through. I am the original owner, have taken it to the hyundai dealer for repairs etc. I filed a complaint with the hyundai customer service 800-63-5151. Hyundai said no since the recall is only up to the 2004. I took my car yesterday to get my state mandated inspection sticker and it failed due to the subframe rot/ Hyundai customer service treated me awful, this is a design flaw, and it is only a few months off from the recall of which it is the same thing. So I will have a 2K bill to fix my design flaw car. I am going to contact the BBB and an attorney.
  • BeachangelBeachangel Member Posts: 1
    My Hyundai Sonata SUBFRAME has a big hole and rusted. I was going to have some work done like get a new tire, and a few other things....it was brought to my attention that the car has a major sub-frame problem and the issue is very serious! I looked at under the Car and OMG! I'm so scared to even drive the car.

I did call Hyundai Consumer affairs, informed them of my serious problem got a case number, they replied saying my subframe is not covered under the limited warranty or any warranty for that matter and have a good day.

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata, Any suggestions?
  • RustysubRustysub Member Posts: 1
    Metro1974: do you by chance have your case number/ID for your subframe replacement. Hyundai is running me around on this because my car is registered in VA.