Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Body and Tailgate

kitschkitsch Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet
I have an 04 Avalanche and the tailgate handle recently broke. I have bought the new handle, and disconnected and removed all the screws holding the old one in, but there is not enough room to actually pull the old one out. Do I have to take apart the whole tailgate? or is there a certain piece i have to remove to get the clearance to take out the mechanism?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• carbuff1954carbuff1954 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to GM, only way we know is to carefully pry off the top plastic trim/tailgate cap, clean off the old adhesive, and buy new 2-sided tape to replace it with. Handles were installed at the factory before top trim was stuck on. Opening isn't big enough to remove it otherwise. :(
  • chuck3too3chuck3too3 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so i know that you pull the bottom part of the seat up and foward so that it is flush with the back of the driver's seat... then you are supposed to just be able to pull the back part of the seat down right? I have done this before, but for some reason the hinge that lets the 60 out of the 60/40 back seat fold down is stuck or locked??? or something shut. It won't come down at all.... Help!!!!
  • dkr03dkr03 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 03. However, i was able to carefully pry out the old latch. But can't get the new one in!!! Are there any of the rosebud clips to pop out under the cap along with the adhesive?
  • jamiethedbajamiethedba Member Posts: 1
    I think you saved me a lot of time ... nope ... I know you saved me a lot time!

Thanks CarBuff ... this worked perfectly.
  • rf3901rf3901 Member Posts: 2
    I just did this on my 2005 Avalanche and it does come out. As you are facing the tailgate from behind the truck, it will slide out to the right side of the truck. The sheet metal that is blocking it has enough give to get it out.
  • rf3901rf3901 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone how how to remove the tailgate if you are unable to open it up? My handle broke and the actuator rod on the left side of the truck fell down inside the tailgate. I fished around with a coat hanger and magnet for 2 hours today and can't get it.
  • winch1831winch1831 Member Posts: 1
    I have some valuable hunting gear in the back of my 04 avalanche, tail gate froze (ice) and tried to open tailgate handle broke and can"t get in,,, any help?

winch1831
  • gizmo57gizmo57 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2011 Avalanche that at this date has 724 miles on it. There is a pretty loud rattle coming from the rear passenger side area. It happens mostly when there are washboard types of bumps on the road. I have had it in the shop two Saturdays in a row and no one can seem to find it. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    I am currently helping Christina on the forum and am glad to here that you are working with your local dealership to have this issue resolved. Please feel free to keep me informed on any new developments with the fix. If you have further question or concerns, you can also contact me by email. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • mpboatmpboat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 also with 1800 miles and the same problem and the same results at the dealer.They thought it was the midgate but no luck with the rattle.I hope someone can find the fix.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mpboat,
    Can you please email me with a detailed description of your experience, contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gizmo57gizmo57 Member Posts: 2
This discussion has been closed.