Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vintage Car Identification Help!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I think it's a ca. 1950 Morris Oxford. The roofline is very Morris.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep, 1948 to 54 Morris Oxford series MO.
  • ukbirdfluukbirdflu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everybody, you guys really know your stuff !!!!
  • gsunesongsuneson Member Posts: 7
    This photo was taken in 1912. I sure could use some help in identifying the make/model of the car
    This photo was taken in 1912. I sure could use some help in identifying the make/model of the car
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    If you are having trouble posting a photo, it has to be uploaded to a site that actually "hosts" the photo for you, such a photobucket.com. Then you post a link to the photo's address on that site.

AFter you post the link, you can select the whole link, and click on the IMG button below the post window and the proper HTML marks make it show up automatically when the post opens for one of us to read it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Let me try this again. I placed the photo on one of my sites then linked to it. It appeared fine in the review

edited October 2012
    Definitely a Ford Model T, in looking at the details, maybe a 1910 model.
    Thanks fintail - I also thought that and googled model T pictures. One of the things I noticed was the front support for the windshield for model Ts seemed to be all straight. This one has a slight curve in it. Do you know if any model Ts had this curve?
    edited October 2012
    That is probably something done by the owner - I noticed the curved supports too. Perhaps these are aftermarket items - Model Ts had a huge amount of available accessories, or maybe were just bent, as cars had a harsh life then.

The fenders and radiator shell appear to be definite Model T to me, and the horizontal line on the rear door is only through the 1910 model - rear door from 1911 onward was smooth. If you notice, the car also lacks an actual front door beside the spare tire - the car appears to have an accessory leather/treated cloth cover (which dates it pre-1912).
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I agree with Fintail - in that era, you bought the car, and often went elsewhere for things like the windshield. Our family's 1911 Regal had many 'aftermarket' parts. That's how things were done back then.
    I appreciate everyones help.

Glenn
    This is my last car to try and identify. I have tried Google images but can not find anything that looks like this.

Thanks Again
    Glenn

Looks a lot like a 4 door version of this 1938 Ford:
    The hubcaps and headlights are very distinctly Ford.
    Thanks texases - that's it. I found a 4 door version of it online and it looks just like it. It is a 1938 Ford Deluxe

Thanks Again
    Glenn
    "The hubcaps and headlights are very distinctly Ford. "

I didn't realize the hubcaps were also a clue, I just went off the headlights. Now I know.
    You can just make out the "V 8" symbol on the caps.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    edited January 2013
    It's a Buick LeSabre, either a '69 or '70. I'm leaning toward '69, but could be wrong.

Good, sturdy cars for the most part. I'd imagine most examples had a Buick 350 V-8, but in '69 they offered a 400 or 430 as well, and for '69 a 455. All good engines, and the automatic transmission they used was a good, solid unit. Body and trim parts might be a bit hard to get ahold of though, so if you seek out one, get the nicest example that you can.
  • seatea1967seatea1967 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I recently received this photo of my great-grandfather and his family taken about 1926. I've never seen a car like this. It looks like it would have weighed a ton! Can someone identify the make, year and model?

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/cthomas/Public/Family/HelenJohnJrJackForrest1926.jpg-

Thanks!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    edited February 2013
    The disc wheel style tells me that's a mid-20s Packard Roadster, here's a similar car which is a 1927 Packard 426, a very spiffy car for the era>

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I suspect this is a ~1925 Studebaker
    More like the Studebaker, definitely not a Packard (note the radiator and hood on the Packard), but the radiator shell on the Studebakers I've found is more rounded on top. But '26-'28 is a good guess for age.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    I had a look at some Studebaker pics and I'd have to agree. The radiator cowl and grille is more similar to a Stude than a Packard which had a very distinctive grille (my bad!). The winged radiator cap is also seen on many contemporary Studebakers.

1926 Studebaker:

I found only a few photos of them with disc wheels but there could be a million reasons for that. In my defense steel disc wheels like that were very common on 20s Packards.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Yeah that radiator shell was giving me problems. I was just using guess-and-check methods.

The Antique Automobile Club of America Identification Forum has more experts and activity, they know more than me,
    Your picture didn't post. It has to a picture held on a website such as photobucket.com. On the site they have a link that you can copied and paste into your post here. After pasting it, you can select the whole link and then press the IMG button shown below to give it the proper html markings to appear as a picture. Or leave the link and folks can just click on the link to see the picture.

• rog42rog42 Member Posts: 3
    imagePlease help???? what dose the grill go to.
    Your picture didn't show up. It was not a jpg image so that's why IMG button didn't work.

Here's the link you posted:

http://s1352.beta.photobucket.com/user/rog42/library/

edited March 2013
    Okay I figured it out for him.

I think it's some kind of aftermarket piece.

After market for what though????
    That's just about impossible to tell. To ID a part we look for things that are specific to a particular car. With aftermarket stuff, they sold the same basic style for lots of cars, the only difference is in the dimensions.

Is there any part number/label/etc anywhere on it?
    That long low shape makes me think Eldorado or Toronado or something, but I have no idea from when.
    edited March 2013
    Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that---it might be a PART of a larger grille assembly.

For aftermarket I was thinking some pickup truck.

the only thing on it is... N ... nothing else any were.
  • jgerlach1jgerlach1 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, no visible pic
    edited March 2013
    Let's try this:

Bigger version here.
    Oh, toughie. Gives me a Buick or Olds vibe, but as there are so many defunct makes from that era, it could be anything.

Definitely a big solid middle class car, roughly 1920, appears to have been virtually new in the pic.

I'd try posting it here, at the AACA forum - some of the posters there are real experts.
    That's tough without a front shot. Late teens, early 20s car, American of course.
    Thanks for the tip on the other forum. If the child is the person I think he is, the photo would have been taken around 1926, so your "roughly 1920s" makes sense.
    yeah it could be 1920--27 something like that. I'm thinking on the earlier side.
    Any way you could post an enlargement of the rear wheel hub? It has a distinctive shape, and might have some sort of logo if we could see it with better resolution.
    Photos of rear wheel hub and hood ornament scanned at maximum resolution. It's a small photo, so not much better ">than the original scan. There does not seem to be a logo on the wheel hub. The hood ornament seems to be a circle with a post in the center.

imagehttp://s1307.photobucket.com/user/jgerlach1/media/HoodOrnamentCloseup_zpsaf7755c- 7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
    The hood ornament is the radiator cap with a built-in thermometer, a common accessory for cars of that era, unfortunately doesn't tell us anything about the maker.

The wheel hub is, like you said, indistinct. The unusual shape may just be a hex-head distorted by frequent wrench applications:
    yes, that "hood ornament" is just a generic "motometer".
    edited April 2013
    Pretty sure I know this one, but it's a fun couple of pics...

What says ye? I think 37-38 Ford coupe. The pic was taken in 1940, the house built in 1939.

Here's a pic from roughly the same position, about 65 years later.

• hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I have had these 2 rims since the 80s and someone told me that they are rare. Does anyone know what car these belong to?
    There is no picture of a rim showing in my post.

Did you upload the picture to a service such as photobucket.com where it's stored and you can use a link to that picture to put into your post here on Edmunds?

• hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    ">