Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Old Car Trivia..Wanna Play?

isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
This might be fun as I know a lot of posters here
have a good memory and a lot of knowledge.

I'll start this. with some Chevy questions...

What year did Chevrolet first offer an automatic
transmission? What was it called?

What year did Chevrolet first have a one piece
windshield?
Tagged:

Comments

• jvanbosjvanbos Member Posts: 1
    transmission question 1952, Powerglide

one piece windshield, probably in the '20s
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Close on the transmission. It was introduced in 1950. It was, indeed, a Powerglide.

" Slip and slide with Powerglide"

You got me on the windshield! I had forgotton that the very early cars had one piece windshields.

It was in 1953 that Chevrolet went from a split windshield to a one piece.
  • bcathcartbcathcart Member Posts: 54
    Which small UK sports car engine had 3 camshafts and why?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    two for spares in the boot? (just kidding).

Actually, I don't know the answer to that question, but I'll keep thinking.
    Wow, I give up? What is the answer?

Here's another. What was the first year Chevrolet offered a V-8 engine?

Hint: Be careful!
  • bcathcartbcathcart Member Posts: 54
    1500cc lotus engine was built on a standard ford ohv block assembly ,the original cam was left in place to drive the oil pump and distributor.an extended timing chain drove the twin cams in the lotus head.Thus the first three cam engine.Of course it set the standard for leaking oil and falling apart faithfully followed by lotus ever since.
    Interesting! But...did you ever see any british engine that didn't leak oil and fall apart?
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    Wasn't the first Chevy V-8 in 1917. I'm thinking that it was air-cooled and had lots of problems and only lasted one year.
    You got the year right, congrats, but no, it was not an air-cooled engine...you may be confusing that with the Chevrolet air-cooled engine of 1923, which was an engineering failure.

The V-8 was a pretty good engine for its time, a 288 cubic inch unit putting out 55 hp with 4:75 to 1 compression. I believe the car itself was called a D-series touring. Quite a few manufacturers were putting out V-8s then, but a 6-cylinder car was mostly what people wanted if they could afford it.
    Good Job! Most people would have said 1955.

OK, what years did Chevy use the 348 engine in passenger cars?

Bonus question, what years was the infamous turboglide used?
    Your knowledge is impressive!
    I think the 348 was used from 1958 to 1961, and the turboglide from 1957 to 1961 or 1962. I had a 63, and I don't recall anything about the TG in the owners manual.
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    First year which all cars sold here:

1) have 5 mph bumpers
    2) use unleaded gas
    3) have that second brake light in the window
  • scottsdaleazscottsdaleaz Member Posts: 2
    I'll guess 1986. Although I hope that your hint #3 meant the third brake light in the window.
  • sebringjxisebringjxi Member Posts: 140
    5 mph bumpers came in 1974.
    Unleaded gas in 1975.
    Third high-mounted brake light in 1986.

Question: In what years were American auto manufacturers forbidden to build convertibles by the NHSTA?
    Was that a trick question? I don't think they were ever forbidden by the NHSTA. I just thought they kind of died in popularity around 1976.

Please enlighten us!

OK badgerpaul, or anybody

What was the first year of the Impala SS?

What was the first year the 396 was available in the Chevelle? (be careful)
    First year of the Impala SS was 1961, it was an option package on the Impala so it could be ordered on any Impala such as a 2-door sedan, I seem to recall a picture of such. I think the Impala SS became a separate series in 63. Believe it or not it came standard with a 6.
    You are right again. A 1961 Impala SS is a RARE car indeed. Most folks would have said 1962.

It was possible to buy a 65 Malibu SS with the 396 engine, but again, these were rare.

And, you are right about the six cylinder SS Impalas. What a joke!

But, back then, a person could special order just about anything. I once saw a 1964 Chevy Biscayne, el strippo four door sedan equipped with the 409 engine, three speed shift on the column and factory air conditioning!

So, what was the first year it was possible to order a new Chevy with factory air conditioning?

I've seen two of these. One in a junkyard and the other at an old car auction. Are they EVER rare!
    I think it might have been 1955, I know I saw a 57 with factory air, with vents in the dash, which was a new concept. Prior to that the A/C was trunk mounted and there were clear plastic tubes that ran above the side windows and blew down on the top of your head. You could always tell a car that had it because there were intake vents mounted on the rear fenders.
    Yep, it was 1955 and the A/C option was ultra rare. I think it added over 400.00 to the price of the car which was a ton of money back then.

Some of the early Cadillacs and other cars did have a trunk mounted unit that blew through those plastic tubes into vents installed in the headliner.

My parents had a 1957 Buick Roadmaster with aftermarket air conditioning made my Novi. It took up much of the trunk and blew through the clear plastic tubes in the trunk. MAN did it ever work! MUCH better than the wimpy R134 systems we have to put up with now. The huge compressor also used 5 horsepower, I think.

Badger, you should ask some questions yourself! I'll only ask if I'm sure of the answer.

Allright...What was the first year power steering was available in a Chevy?

No looking at books, now!

How about the rest of you? I don't want to monopolize this. :)
    I'm going to guess 1952, it must have seemed like a major improvement over the "arm" power steering. My 63 Impala had "arm" power steering and I remember what a difference a lube job made in the ability to steer the car.
    Those trunk mounted air conditioners really were something else, since it was separate from the heating system I don't think you could add any warm air to it, so it was all cold all the time.
    Growing up in the Upper Midwest a/c wasn't a big option, my dad's 65 Bonneville was the first car he ordered with a/c. I remember all the stares you would get from people as you drove around with the rolled up on a hot summer day, everyone thought we were nuts.

Okay, now a question:
    What was the Chevy V-8 engine line-up for the 1965 model year?
    You missed by one year, it was 1953. I've seen only one of these.

Your question is a tough one...

6 cylinder. I think they were 230 cubic inch
    283 - 195 horsepower
    327 - 250 horespower
    327 - 300 horsepower
    396 - 325 horsepower
    409 - 340 horsepower
    409 - 400 horsepower
    409 - 425 horsepower - 2 4bbl carbs.

Of course, this assumes full size Chevys.

I'm not really sure if the 340 hp 409 was still available in 1965. '65 was the last year for the mighty 409.

Seems like I'm missing something. Now, I didn't crack a book to do this, just relied on my memory!

The Vettes had
    I believe you're right, the 65 model year was kind of divided in two the first half had the 409s, after the introduction of the 396, the 409 was dropped. At the same time the Turbo-Hydramatic became an option, a big improvement over the slippry slide, although I did like the Powerglide in the snow, I never got stuck.
  • carnut4carnut4 Member Posts: 574
    OK-here's a few:
    1.Whatwas the first year Chevrolet produced a V8 engine?
    2. What were all the different displacements offered, over the years, in their small block V8's? [Chevys]
    3.What were the American cars to first offer double headlights?[year and makes]
    4.How many different displacements were offered in the Dodge/Desoto/Chrysler Hemis of the 50's?
    5. What American ohv V8 had fully machined combustion chambers on all its engines, beginning with its first year of production? What year was it?
    Good job except you forget the 305. I had forgotton all about that 262 oddball engine.

You are also right about the headlights. I was waiting to see if somebody would have said 1958.

I have no idea on the other questions. Was never much of a mopar guy.

But, What year did "swival seats" show up?

And...What was the first year for the D500?
    How could I forget the 305, I may have to put on the dunce cap and sit in the corner.
    I thing the swival seat came out in 1959, they were also offered in the mid '70s on the mid-size Chevy's, a friend of mine had a 75 Malibu wagon with swival bucket seats.
    The D500 was Dodge's answer to the Chrysler 300, Plymouth Fury and DeSoto Adventurer, but unlike the others which were specific models, the D500 was an option package that could be ordered on any Dodge, I think it was first offered in 1955 or 1956.
    Badger,

Right again.

The D500 came out in 1956 but didn't get popular until the next year. That hemi engine could even be ordered with 2 4BBL carbs.

A buddy in high school bought a gold and white 4 door 1957 Dodge D500 from an old lady for hardly any money.

That Dodge would lay rubber for a block! When the torqueflght shifted into second, it would break the rear tires loose again.

This was a Chevy town, mind you and some guys made fun of his "Okie wagon" but I'll tell you, that Dodge would make a 327 Chevy look like a 6 cylinder!

But...Oh, did it ever use gas!! If you were driving it normally it got 7 MPG!
    OK!
    1.Don't forget the 302 small block, which appeared on the first Z28's in 68 and 69.
    2.Yes, the double headlights were an option on some '57 Chrysler products.
    3.As for Hemi displacements, I know Dodge produced its first at 241, then went to 270 and 325. Chrysler made the 331, 354, and finally the 392. Actually, I'm not sure about the Desotos. Anyone know?
    4. It was Pontiac, in 1955, which featured fully machined combustion chambers on its first V8, and most later V8s as well.
    Sorry, but swivel seats are very old...I've seen one in a 1937 Hudson...it swiveled out to meet you when you opened the door!
    Okay, tough one but I'll try to make it a little easier....

Approximate year or decade of the first working (actually raced) 4-wheel drive car. Bonus points for the make and country of manufacture.
    Wow! I give up? Anyone..?
    Think Europe...think old....
    OK- I'll make a wild guess. I remember reading about this somewhere long ago- the make Delage comes to mind-and it was before 1920-like 1917 or so? I know a lot of manufacturers were experimenting in the teens-like Chevy did with their V8, and Packard with the first twib six,et., et.,--So-am I even close?
    Not bad,but not old enough! Delage was a daring company, though.

The first 4-wheel drive car that actually worked quite well was the 1902 Spyker made in Holland.
    No fair! I wasen't born then!

OK, In the mid-fifties, Chevy made three series of models. What were they called?

Bonus...The middle of these had a sub-model with a fancier vinyl interior only in 2 doors.

What did they call it?
    From 53-57 there was:
    Bel-Air.
    I think the fancy 210 was called Delray, but I may be wrong.
    In 58 they named the lower 2 series, so it was:
    Delray
    Biscayne
    Bel-Air.
    In 58 the Impala was a sub-series of the Bel-Air.
    In 59 they renamed them again to:
    Biscayne
    Bel-Air
    Impala.
    Yep-that's all right. A buddy had a 55 Delray-red and white with that black and white interior.OK-here's an easy one:
    How many different horsepower ratings were offered on the 265-283 small block V8 between 55 and 57?
    OK, one more.

In the early sixties, Ford introduced the first of their small block V-8's.

What was it - CID-

Which car did it come installed in?

Which other engines have evolved from it?
    Oh, good question...I know that, but I'll just answer the first part.

It was a 221 CID V-8
    I'm pretty good with Chevys but I would need to look that up in my Chevy book and that would be cheating.

There were a TON of combinations. Your question is NOT easy.

In 1955, the 265 base engine had 162 HP, I think.

A "power pack" was available which included dual exhausts, a 4BBL carb and a differt camshaft. I want to say they had 180 HP.

I'll stop there, because in 1956, there were a LOT of options including a 265 with two four barrels. Carnut, did you know that?

An old lady that lived across the alley from us had one of these! It had a three speed on the column. I'll bet she had no idea what she was buying! I wanted to buy that car from her SO bad when she quit driving, but she gave it to her grandson.

In 1957, the 265 was still available, but the big news was the 283 which was available in more combinations then I can remember. The top dog was the 283 HP Fuel Injected model that could be special ordered in any Chevy. There was also a fuel injected model with less horsepower.

Carnut, no using a book, now?

Now, the 265's in 1957 were not painted Chevy orange. What color were they?
    Most would have said the one that came after the 221.

Who can answer the rest?
    I'm not as good on Fords, but I'm going to say the 260 and the 289. I know the 260 was available on the 64 Mustang, so I'm guessing that it probably was also available on the Falcon and Fairlane.
    Just read my post-correction: The 250 horse 283 had fuel injection and Hydraulic lifters. I may have missed something else--t's been a few years.....
    But, tell the truth. Did you use a book?

The color of the 57 265's was kind of a pukey yellow-green.

I had forgotton that the powerglides had a few more horses. We would look in the junkyards for used engines and would try to find a "powerglide engine" to put into our stick shift 55 Chevys.
    Honestly-I've had all this stuff memorized for years. I was quite taken with the '57 Chev from the day it was introduced, and read and reread everything about it over the years, as well as the '55 & '56's. Yeah the Powerglide cars [in the 265's] had a little wilder cam timing, for more output potential. I don't know about the 283's though. All their power ratings are identical, stick and powerglide, so I assume the cam timing was the same. Pontiac did the same thing on a larger scale with their V8's. The stick shift cars had lower compression ratios and horsepower ratings than the Hydramatic cars. I never understood why Pontiac did this.
  • ratchratch Member Posts: 21
    Don't know that I ever saw anyone with so much Chev information. About the automatic versus stick shift Chevies...

The automatic came with what we used to call a 3/4 race camshaft -- I think it was used to alter the combination's torque curve, but I don't really know.

Maybe you can remember -- did the 283 ever have a separate oil filter like the 265? All the 283s and on (as I recall) had integral (can type) oil filters while the 265 was mounted on the firewall.
    I think the oil filters on the 265's were in a cannister mounted on top of the engine, same as the sixes were.

The 283's and 327's used a longer element, in a cannister under the car.

As a kid, working in a Mobil station, I changed a lot of these. They were no fun!

They had a long bolt that went through the thing.

As you lowered this miserable thing, hot oil would run down your arms! If you weren't REAL careful, the gasket or o ring would get twisted and the damm thing would leak when you were done!

Oh, but the WORST one of all...We had a customer with an old Dodge. He would come in, without fail, every 1000 miles for an oil change.

It was about a 1954 Dodge and it had a hemi V-8 in it.

The filter was almost inaccessable. It was, of course, a cannister type in a small can squeezed into a tight area.

Only the boss knew how to change it, and oh would he cuss it out!

He would spill oil everywhere, and burn himself on the manifold.

There was an o ring, and several gaskets that had to be lined up just right or it would leak.

And, it usually took three tries and two quarts of spilled oil.
    Kind of makes you appreciate SOME of the filter locations we have now. I have a '55 Pontiac Starchief[130 thou original] with that first V8[287]. It has that same kind of filter with the long bolt up through it and the gasket at the top. Only thing it does have that helps is a separate drain plug on the bottom of the housing, which, if aimed right, can get most of the oil in to the pan.Now here's a small trivia question[which I don't know]. What year did Chevy switch to the spin on oil filter on their small blocks? Oh-one more-How many different horsepower ratings were offered on their 348 cu.in. V8's between '58 and '61?
    I know that the 283 never changed. My 66 Impala had that miserable canister, I remember many times have it up on jack stands changing the oil and having the oil run down my arm and kind of pool in the back of my shirt as I laid helpless in the driveway, a very "pleasant" experience.
    There was a conversion kit for it, which I gladly put in.
    1967 was the final year for the "can" filter. The conversion kits were the way to go.

Carnut, let me think about your 348 question for awhile. I won't cheat!

The 1955 Pontiac engines had one weak link, what was it?
This discussion has been closed.