Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    with the Venza I4

Hell no! Make it RWD, six - eight inches longer than the GS, and throw in the direct injected version of the the 2GR. Now were talking!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Why would you want to redesign the Avalon from an honest 30 MPG, regular fuel, very roomy and comfortable sedan, with more than adequate performance into a more costly vehicle with the same features as a half dozen other Lexus, BMW, etc. platforms.

I have no desire to spend an additional 10K on a vehicle like this.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    Mechanically, the current Avalon is a total winner but needs updated styling to appeal to a wider customer base. Toyota should keep the outstanding mechanics from the current model, specially the very fuel efficient engine and silky smooth transmission, but redesign the sheet metal to eliminate its "frumpy" look.

I own a 2009 Avalon and cannot believe how a car of this size and weight can be so fuel efficient. I just returned from an 800 mile road trip during which I averaged 30 MPG while consistently doing 75-80 miles per hour on the highway.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Lexus ES350 = Toyota Camry.....

No basis for assuming 10K $ increment.

Shared parts bin and design savings.

Common parts bin: Saturn = Chevrolet = Pontiac = Buick = Oldsmobile = GMC = Cadillac

Carries it a bit too far but you get the idea.

"..total winner.." FWD...NEVER...!!

Only if you live in the tropics.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Your first line is exactly what I am talking about. An ES or Camry has not even close to the roominess in my Avalon. Maybe a little more performance in the ES with premium fuel. I have leather and don't need a sunroof or 17" alloys.

Not sure what the parts bin of mostly extinct GM cars is supposed to tell me.

I live in the south and have always felt that FWD was the best thing since sliced bread or maybe ABS. I think I had RWD last on my 74 Ford Torino Wagon.
  • kq0b1kq0b1 Member Posts: 14
    Fantastic gas mileage on a trip from St. louis to Kansas City, Ks trip. Highest mpg 30.3. MPG was better around 70 mph. Car rides so smooth it is amazing; also puts the wife to sleep it rides so great. Not sure what Toyota will come out with for 2010 but my 2009 is a winner. I have also compared it to the Lexus 350 for price and the Avalon is well worth the price over the 350. I think the 460 Lexus is a better comparison to the Avalon Limited.
    The cost of buying the dealer equipment and installation for SAT radio is about $550. For those of you out there who have a Iphone think about adding the SAT application on the Iphone. Just hooked my Iphone 3GS into the auxillary connector and now playing it through the speakers. Works fantastic plus if you need GPS or directions just use the Iphone and save another $200 plus. Dont forget the mobile DC charger and additionally turn the sound up on the Iphone so you can control volume on the radio. Really love the Iphone for its portability.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Just got the latest issue of Motor Trend. In their new car buyer's guide section, they note the only change for the 2010 Avalon is a new color called 'Sandy Beach Metallic. Looks like those hoping for an all new or revised Avalon will be waiting a bit longer. This is certainly good new for those who purchased a 2009 as it will still be current for another year or so.

M. J. McCloskey
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Ok, so how many miles to a tank were you getting?

I just went on a trip to South Carolina from Maine (twice in the last 3 weeks), and I got:

511 miles to the tank

MPG went down as I added people and their gear to the car.

As for smooth, I'd say fine. As for comfort, my [non-permissible content removed] is still hurting. This I'm very disappointed about.

I added a folded quilt to the drivers seat to see if that would help. It did a little, but still not what I want to do, to be comfortable in my new car.

2008 Avalon Touring

Bought new in December, and now have 21,000 miles on it.

I will say, I had a friend drive the other day, and I sat in the back sit, and that was pretty nice. I did this because I have ANOTHER trip coming up, and I'll have my in-laws with us. We'll put on about 3,500 in 2 weeks and was wondering how comfortable or uncomfortable they will be. I think they will be ok.

I did drive a 2005 LS 430 today, and that was not enough better to consider buying. I may test drive a 2005 S430 Mercedes to see if that's any better.

Skip
    I am surprised but would think that an option or two will be included for the 2010. Dont matter much with me as I got mine in May and it is a honey. Read my remarks on the Iphone coupled to work with the Avalon. Friend tried hard to talk me into NAV and cruise options -- no worth the money; besides too many things and I will fall sleep while driving.
    Thanks for the update
  • wwessonwwesson Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Avalon and love it. Only one minor draw back and that is auxillary power outlets that go off when ingnition turns off. I would like to modify at least one to stay on all the time for GPS. Has anyone done this?

Looks like it could easily be done in the underdash fuse box by jumping auxillary power fuse to fuel tank fuse. Looks like fuel tank door switch is always hot. Would have to insure there is no feedback to cold side of aux power fuse when ignition is off but this is easily done by cutting off prong to fuse on hot side. Could use a jumper tab for none hot side that goes to fuel tank switch fuse.

Would also like to see aux power in trunk for electric ice chest, etc, use.
  • lsundaylsunday Member Posts: 7
    We own 2 Toyota Avalons - a 2004 XLS and a 2008 Limited. We used to own Buicks but the lack of quality killed that. Both of our Avalons are tremendous cars and are very high quality. I traded a Lexus ES 330 on the 2008 Avalon Limited due to the lack of interior room in the Lexus - especially in the rear - and a very rough transmission. I keep hearing rumors that Toyota is thinking of canceling the Avalon due to lack of sales. If the sales are lagging it is Toyota's own fault. How long has it been since you saw an Avalon advertised. They never advertise them. They have one of the highest rated full size sedans in this country and they don't advertise it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Instead of killing it they need to promote it.
    I couldn't agree more.

We may find,that what the real reason is, the number of sales the Avalon STEALS from Lexus, is the reason they may discontinue the Avalon. A very silly reason, but a reason none the less.

If you look at ad's by your area Toyota dealer, you rarely see the Avalon in the ad's, and like you said. I can't remember the last time (or the first time for that matter), that I saw an Avalon TV commercial?

As much as I like my 2008 Avalon Touring Edition, I will say, it's no where near as comfortable as I'd like.

So far, in the 53 + cars I have owned over the years, my most comfortable have been:

1) 1966 Pontiac Catalina
    2) 1968 Catalina Coupe
    3) 1996 Buick Park Avenue Limited (with Velvet type lounge chairs for seats)
    4) 1998 Buick Park Avenue
    5) 1968 Cutless Supreme
    6) 2008 Toyota Avalon

Now most of the cars ahead of the Avalon were much larger cars, and much heavier cars.

Has anyone tried Air Shocks on the Avalon, and if so, what did you think?

Skip
    Boy to have the next level Avalon look this nice inside:)

- http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2009-toyota-crown-majesta-inter- ior.jpg
    Boy after reading this article and looking the pictures over, this looks a lot like a Lexus LS 460?

- http://japancarblog.com/toyota-launches-new-majesta/comment-page-1/
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    According to Wikipedia,"the Crown Majesta was introduced as a more substantial alternative to the smaller Toyota Crown. The Crown Majesta was developed for the Japanese Domestic Market, as a more reserved, conservative alternative to the sporty Toyota Celsior [Lexus LS 400] in 1989."

The Toyota Crown Majesta is a full-size premium luxury automobile, similar to the Jaguar XJ, Mercedes S-Class, Infiniti Q and BMW 7 series.

Nonetheless, unless Toyota can differentiate and justify the price premium for the Avalon over the Camry XLE V-6 they will have an uphill task of trying to unload them. With new entrants such as the Ford Taurus/SHO, Buick Lacrosse CXS, and Hyundai Genesis Toyota must up the ante (read, more appealing styling) to effectively compete in this market segment.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Here is the thinking from the home office in Japan on the 2010's (from my information):

The plan was for a completely new car, following the typical 5 year model run. The problems came early as Avalon sales slowed and an RWD platform was deemed necessary, but too expensive. Then Toyota saw the world slowdown coming and actually ceased all redesign efforts. There was no real good choice except continue the present design or drop the model completely. And remember, even though the Avalon is a low production car they are built in Kentucky with the Camry. They actually make a little money per unit and attract buyers to the showroom. If they buy a Camry, ok, but the Avalon got them to the dealership.

Also, most Toyota execs do not feel the Avalon steals from the Lexus 3xx series. Lexus is a name you want, Avalons are Toyotas. We know some switching goes on, we read it here on Edmunds.com. But for most shoppers there is no real dilemma in which to choose.

For the near term, what we see is what we will get. Or nothing. The replacement car needs to built here, not Japan. Ultimately, a new model will replace the current Avalon, but until the world economy improves don't expect much. Avalon is falling behind in the sheet metal design but the car is winner in every other category, my opinion.... Enjoy your Avy's, great cars. :)
  • lsundaylsunday Member Posts: 7
    The justification for the price is the interior room. The Avalon is a full size car with plenty of interior room. That is one of the main reasons that I buy them. Quality and Ride are the others. The new Buick LaCrosse is a beautiful car but try sitting in the back seat of it and then try the Avalon. Your question will be answered. The Avalon is just slightly smaller inside than a Lexus LS but much larger than an ES or GS. Lexus does not build a car that compares to the Avalon. I transport clients in my Avalon. They love it for the room they have.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    On the other hand didn't Toyota just announce that a new RWD 2 seat sports car is currently moving from the drawing board and into production..??

Personally I would expect to soon see a Toyota version of the Lexus GS series (new I4, 6-speed, RWD and maybe DFI..??) to replace the Avalon.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    The key difference in ride between the Touring model and other Avalons is the tires and rims, not the suspension. The Touring uses low profile, "performance" tires that give a much rougher ride. Switch to a higher profile tire and you'll get a smoother ride.
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    Hello, I am brand new to Edmunds.com, but I'm quite familiar with the blogs and enjoy reading posts regarding most Toyota vehicles. I have always been a big fan of Toyota products. Last year, I drove (rented) a 2008 Avalon Touring. I absolutely fell in love with this car as it was the nicest handling vehicles that I had ever driven. I currently own a 2004 Corolla, so driving the Avalon was a huge difference! As we all know, the Touring model was discontinued for the 2009 model year. I was very disappointed when I learned this, because I was considering to upgrade/purchase a new Avalon (I liked the Touring model because of the dark charcoal interior). For 2009, Toyota introduced the dark charcoal interior to the XLS and Limited models. I still am considering to purchase an XLS with dark charcoal interior, but I cannot find one in my region (New England) with the color combination that I'm looking for, Blue Mirage on dark charcoal. My local dealer said it takes 4+ months to order one. Does this sound right? It seems like the dark charcoal interior is very hard to come by. I'm not sure if it's popular or not in other areas of the country, but it is very practical living in New England with the road salt associated with the long winter months!

Okay, I'll get to the point! I have been reading many speculations of the Avalon being completely discontinued. If it is going to be discontinued, I find it interesting that Toyota is going to release a 2010 model. This will be the 6th year we have the 3rd generation Avalon. Most dealers in my region only had an average of 1-3, 2009 new Avalons on their lot since they arrived in September 2008. It seems like production has been strictly reduced. This is why I'm so surprised a 2010 will be built. If Toyota is going to discontinue the Avalon, why are they continuing production for another model year? Everything is a big mystery!
    The key difference in ride between the Touring model and other Avalons is the tires and rims

Not correct. The Touring uses the exact same size of tire found on the XLS and Limited models (all 17" Rims). The XL rides on 16" however, there are suspension differences in the touring model. Much firmer than the Xl/XLS/Limited.

• lev45lev45 Member Posts: 1
    It would be a disaster if Avalon will be discontinued. I have 2005 Toyota Limited and love this car. Since it's more than 4 years old, I started looking for a new car. I test-drove Lexus 360, Mercedes S class, Audi and have to say that I feel more comfortable in Avalon. If Toyota add / change a few things, I would buy another Avalon.

The main thing to change is the Navigation. Because, it so difficult to enter new address, I practically never use it. I would also appreciated to have a steering wheel automatic adjustment. Parking cameras would be appreciated as well. For the rest, I have no complaints.
    If Toyota chooses NOT to up-date the Avalon, they will have only themselves to blame for low sales.

Yes times are tough (but the tough will survive).
    Yes sales are low (come out with a new exciting model and that will change)!
    If the American companies are coming out with new models (the NEW Ford Taurus, WILL be a big seller - not in the same category, but a big seller still.)
    Toyota right now, is one of, if not the BEST selling cars in America … kick [non-permissible content removed] with some new exciting models, and stay ahead!

I'm SURE that with this tough economy, Toyota needs to be carful they don't up-date the Avalon so much that it becomes expensive, because it WILL then have folks thinking Lexus, which will cause sales to be low, causing them to re-think the Avalon in the future.

Hell, Toyota is now the sponsors for many PBS and National Geographic TV shows (ALL of which use to be sponsors by Ford - maybe a sad day in American history?

Sorry about the tyrant:)

Skip
    While searching on Yahoo, I came across a site that handles fleet management of various motor vehicles. This site has "revised" Toyota build-out and start-up dates of various 2010-2011 models (as of August 5, 2009). According to the information on this site, Toyota plans to release a 2011 Avalon in Febrary & March 2010 (around the same time the current 3rd generation was released back in 2005). Not sure if this Avalon will be the same as the 3rd generation, or completely redesigned. The 2010 will be the 6th consecutive year of this style/generation. It could be that Toyota is now on the 6-year cycle with generations. If this information is in fact true, we MAY have a completely redesigned Avalon on the way in a few months! I am very curious to see if this information is accurate. I will include the link that I found if you'd like to see what it lists:

http://www.phharval.com/aboutPHHArval/newsCenter/archives/2009/unitedStates/0805- 09.pdf

Sorry, I can't make it available to directly access, but this is the exact site that I found! Definitely check it out!
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Looks like a new Avalon is in the works. We should know in December at the latest, when the dealers will get the ordering info.
  • jemannerjemanner Member Posts: 9
    Let us hope a new Avalon is in the works! However, there is some speculation it will be more of a stretched Camry. Let us hope not. Face it, the Avalon cuts into Lexus sales, with nearly the luxury and comfort, but at a more reasonable price. I would love to see essentially the same vehicle, but with a bit stiffer suspension (as was in the Touring Edition) and an improved NAV system. Bottom line, being from Nevada, would not put even money on a 2011 Avalon as we wish it, if any at all. Not going to hold my breath...
    It will be a real shame if they don't up-date the Avalon. It may not be their biggest seller, but it is a car that gets them plenty of air time (folks talking about the car).

What would I like to see them change, fix???

- I'd love my coin tray back
    - I'd love softer more comfortable seats
    - I'd love AWD
    - I'd love it to be a bit more quiet on the highway (this is tire noise, as well as wind noise)
    - I'd love the radio to show the CD name while it's playing. Right now having to push next and wait until it's starts, to know who the CD is, kind-of sucks.
    - Heck, I'd love this feature for iPod's as well.
    - I'd love it to have a much better - high quality paint job. My 2008, has a ton of fine line scratches that just piss my off to no end.
    - I'd love to have more vents for heating and air around the car (and roof, for pointing down the backside of the front seats on a hot day.

… ooh, looks like I want a Lexus:)

I think some of these things are doable, and would make the Avalon a great car.

What would you like to see them do?

Skip
    . Have the outside mirrors rotate towards car when engine is turned off and of course will remember memory settings
    . Make a nav system worth buying
    . include a dc power plug for the backseat and and extra for the front
    . include the power seat options on the passenger side as standard instead of option on the limited model
    . include sat radio receiver as a standard instead of option on the limited
    . include a little more room for the passenger seat to slide back
    . include the roll bar on the passenger seat like the driver seat
    . include an automatic dimmer switch for high beam to low beam
    . change the instrument panel to better show the speed or move speed to the center of the dashboard
    . change the day running lites from round to square
    As for as the sattelite is concerned I use my Iphone for xm radio and playing the ipod.
    Use the Iphone for getting directions or gps -- why pay 2K when you dont get a lot for it

I have the 2009 Limited and trip this past weekend got 31.9 highest mpg and 31.0 overall. That was doing 74mph so computer starting to work great more miles I get.
    The ride is fantastic - my wife likes to ride in the backseat and instantly falls asleep
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I would like to see a hybrid in the new AVALON which is a great car. I hope they keep the 6 disc stereo My new Camry has one disc and the dealer told me it had MP? and i pod I asked him what that was and he told me my kids woould explain it to me I still want a 6 disc stereo and a hybrid
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    The current and past Avalons is/were stretched Camrys. The next one will probably be the same. Is it better than the gussied up Camry that is the Lexus ES 350? Might be for some. The Avalon is bigger and more comfortable than the Lexus, but the Lexus has a better warranty, dealer service, and resale value. The ES also gets some good lease specials that Toyota also offers on the Camry, but not on the Avalon. My next car will probably be one of the following (unless something else strikes my fancy in the meantime): Cadillac XTS (DTS replacement), Buick Lucerne replacement (unknown at this time; new LaCrosse is too small), Hyundai Equus, MB E350, Lexus ES 350, Citroen C6 (not imported to the US), new RR Ghost (only if I should win the lottery), or Toyota Avalon. Considering purchase price and fuel economy, the Toyota seems to be the most practical. Hopefully, the new guy at the top of Toyota will solve the quality problems that have plagued it recently.
    I tried a Buick Lucrene CX and wasn't that impressed. It was no quieter nor as big in the back seat area. And it didn't have an iPod jack. That was just a short test ride (when I was considering trading my Camry in - which I did for the Avalon).

I had thought about the Buick Enclave (which gets very good reviews for comfort and quietness, but was more then I was looking to spend at the time)

I wish Buick would bring back the Road Master or Park Avenue:)

As for the others on your list, some are more then I was looking to spend, and others I haven't thought about.

I have recently tried a LS 430 - which I must say, wasn't that much nicer the my Avalon?

I'm in hopes of trying out a E430 Mercedes later on this week. Other then that, I'm fine with my Avalon at this time.

My next car WILL be (hopefully);

- Quieter at highway speeds
    - More comfortable on the long haul (on the road salesman. I put on 30,000 miles a year, and want something I can drive 600 - 1500 miles a day, and not hurt when I get out of the car.
    - A bit fancier / cooler then the Avalon.

Skip
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    "If you adjust the mirrors the way the Car Talk guys indicate on their web site, it eliminates the blind spot on both sides of the car."

I adjust so that I can just see the side of my car, then lean a bit towards the console to see out farther before changing lanes. Try it.
    Anyone care to share what the going price is for a new 2009 Avalon XLS/ Limited.
    Looking for a Bra for my 2009 Limited. Any suggestions.

Also looking for rubber floor mats any suggestions

thanks
    I can't help you with a bra, but I purchased the "WeatherTecH rubber floor mats … and LOVE them!

- http://www.weathertech.com/

Skip
    I hadn't heard this, but I will let you know soon, as I will need new tires real soon.

Is the a model, style or brand that you can recommend?

Skip
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I purchased a leftover 2008 Touring in July. I had the 3m shield installed on the whole front end and the mirrors. Lots of $$, but no chipped paint. IMO the bra is ugly and every one I've seen eventually destroyed the paint under the bra.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I asked my Toyota service mgr about synthetic oil for my 08 touring. He told me that Toyota notified the dealer that the new Avalon will require synthetic. If he knew anything about oil change interval with the new model, he wasn't willing to share.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I live in the Kansas City area. I bought an '09 Limted, Blizzard Pearl, carpeted floor mats, power passenger seat & XM radio. Sticker price was $37,103. The discount was about $4,150 for brand new car, not a demonstrator. This was in June, 2009. If you are in the Midwest area, I highly recommend the dealer & salesperson I bought from in Lawrence, Kansas. Reply if you want more information.
    thanks for the info. Its a great car. I was wondering if prices were still running the same and appears they are. Got a 09 Limited - no mileage without the XM but with Spoiler, door moldings, power seats passenger side, mats, for $33,300 so not feeling bad about the choice. BTW I am getting 4 mpg better than whats on the sticker

take care
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I would be surprised to do as well right now. Around here, when you walk through a Toyota dealership, you might see 120 "clunkers" and maybe 60 to 70 new Toyotas. And these are at dealerships that typically had 300 to 400 new Toyotas in stock before the cash for clunkers program. I bought mine right before the program started. Unfortunately, I did not have a gas guzzling clunker to trade in since I have bought fuel efficient cars all my driving life. Once again, no free lunch ($4,500.00) for me.
    Does anyone know approximately when Toyota will stop production of the 2010 Avalon? Toyota typically introduces new models/styles in early March, just in time for spring. I would like to order a 2010 because I like this generation's style. However, I am hesitant to do so because the 2011 should be on it's way, and I may like the new generation much more! Any new information on the 2011 model?
  • charlie89charlie89 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 Avalon 3 weeks ago. It intermittently rumbles at 35-40mph when is drops into high gear and lugs the engine. The Toyotal field rep says this is normal for the Avalon (as well as other new Toyota cars) but most people don't complain about it. They don't want to publicize this because they wouldn't sell as many cars. Please let me know if you notice this: I'm trying to file a class action lawsuit about what I consider a deceptive practice by Toyota: my email address in cmorin@pol.net. Thanks.
    Toyota seems to having a bit of grief with this transmission. Have read where they are proud of engineering it with substantially fewer parts than would be typical with a 6-speed automatic, but this may have come at a price.
    No issues like this with my 2008?

As for a class action law suit? With only 3 weeks on the car, my guess is (with a bit of toughness) the dealership will take the car back. Let them and Toyota Motor Corp., know "It's take it back, or I file a class action lawsuit"! My guess is, you won't own the car much longer, as it will be easier and cheaper to take it back, then the cost of a law suit.

Now, if in fact you and others find that this is a problem, and Toyota is ignoring it, then please, on the behalf of Toyota customers everywhere … get some action taken!

Skip

PS This won't bow well, (the bad press) if they are coming out with an all new model for 2011. It will look like the 2010 was a problem child, and so, they re-did it for 2011, in hopes of fixing it.

As oppose to, coming out with a new model, because it was time for a change.
  • charlie89charlie89 Member Posts: 2
    Toyotal never buys a car back without arbitration.
    The thing is that Toyota knows that the new transmissions shift into high gear at too low a speed so the car is going to lug at times, yet they do it to promote better gas mileage without alerting the customer that their car is going to rumble at times.
    Not Toyota, the dealer.

Here in Maine, most dealers (because of state laws), have to take back, or work hard to satisfy customer with problem vehicles.

Now, this may not be easy, but if one is to complain hard enough, you should be successful.

Hell, it's in the dealers best interest.

Is there another car, that this dealership sells, that you can trade-in towards? I would think it would be in the dealers best interest to make you happy.
    Almost all newer cars do this. My '06 Avalon (my '09 Genesis, and my GFs '08 Elantra also) did it at times (or would hunt between the gears) if it is that much of an annoyance, simply put the gear selector in manual and lock it in 3rd gear on the roads you are having a problem. My car only did it on one particular stretch of road where there was a slight hill that you I had to watch my speed on because there was always a patrolman waiting.

Sure sounds like the transmisssion is reluctant to disengage the torque converter and/or drop down a gear. Probably the designers attempting to squeeze every last MPG out of the car for marketing reasons, and to up their CAFE average. As all modern transmissions are electronically controlled, I would wager a simple reprogramning of the PCM will remedy the issue. IF they will do this, another story.