Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    The way Toyota's transmissions are programmed has long been a discussion here on Edmunds and many other places. Really the car tells you how it wants to be driven. IMO you get used to it. They are certainly tuned for FE as you suggest, they upshift early and often to keeps the revs as low as possible. Its not just Toyota, my 09 Genesis has what seems to be the exact same trans logic as my '06 Avalon even though they are different trans (06 was a 5 speed, '09 is a 6).

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kq0b1kq0b1 Member Posts: 14
    Class action?? you gotta get more folks to complain - a class action of one is not gonna do it.

No problems with my 2009 -- and cannot see what they changed to the 2010. Can some enlighten me what they did for an upgrade on the 2010.

I gotta start using the manual shift --- smooth running car so far with fantastic gas mileage. just had my first oil change.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...simple reprogramming.."

Adversely affects FE so that would probably be a violation of EPA regulations.
  • cjutsoncjutson Member Posts: 8
    What is the lastest news about the future of the Avalon? Will it be remodeled in 2011 or discontinued?
    Has anyone heard an update on whether Toyota will re-style the Avalon or will they discontinue it in 2011?
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Several articles on the web, say it's being discontinued, and that they may be going to a stretch Camry?

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257913

Then there is this piece which say's "It's Coming", but the link doesn't work?

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2994688&posted=1#post2994688

Skip
  • jemannerjemanner Member Posts: 9
    Hmmm., I thought the Avalon was presently on a stretched Camry platform? I AM one of those senior citizens described in the link, albeit not at the colostomy bag stage as yet. However, even us old farts like some excitment in a vehicle. The Touring edition was a better handling Avalon, and in their infinite wisdom, it was discontinued. A RWD performance-orientated machine might be the answer for Toyota. Went to a BMW 335d, significantly better mileage than the Avalon, and definitely superior handling. Tired of waiting for the corporate announcement to decree the Avalon a white elephant.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I, too, am a senior citizen, and I will have to defend my Avalon a little bit. I like the Toyota ride, which has been described by some as mushy, but the handling hasn't gotten me in trouble yet. It suits me much better than the firm "German" ride that picks up every bump in the road.

With my honest 30 MPG on the road at 75 MPH, I don't think the BMW mileage is "significantly better", and the 335d price seems to be at least $10K higher.

There are a couple of engineering issues, but if you get the proper VVTi oil line, and learn how to drive the electronic tranny, it's a very nice car for the price.
    I loved my 06 Avalon. The ride was fantastic, the 3.5 V6 is simply amazing too. The car is not a handler, even in the "Touring" form that was available early on. If it wasn't for the Genesis coming out there is no doubt I would have leased another Avalon. I still miss the plush ride, but the Genesis handles much better than the Avalon, a trade off I guess.

• ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    I purchased a new 2010 Avalon XLS two weeks ago. I was tired of wondering what the future plans truly are (whether the entire lineup will be discontinued or not). Besides, I live in New England. The dark charcoal interior is almost impossible to find around here--very RARE! I insisted on buying a new car with a dark interior and light exterior (I went with silver). I really like this color combination and the dealership had it in stock on the lot.

I liked the car enough to purchase it, but I have to say that I am disappointed! I cannot get used to the transmission. I find that the acceleration is also not as good as my former car, a 2004 Corolla. I understand the Avalon is a bigger, heavier car. What I don't understand is why the car hesitates and almost pulls back, when I remove my foot from the accelerator.

Also, I have noticed the car makes strange noises while turned on. There is a slight friction noise while turning the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer 3 days after I drove it home. They said that the steering column was a bit dry and that it needed some lubrication, so they greased it. This does not sound right for a new, $35,000 car. The same exact sound still appears, so it obviously didn't need grease! Other noises also continue to appear in the cabin of the car--not rattles, more of a buzzing sound. These sounds are faint, but definitely can be heard without the radio or any heating/AC turned on. Overall, I am a bit disappointed and plan to take it back to the dealership to be looked at tomorrow. Is anyone else experiencing such issues with their new Avalon?
    I think you will find the Avalon plenty quick once you get used to it (04 Corolla in the 8 second range 0 to 60 the Avalon is in the 6 second range). The engine likes to be revved up a bit (after 3500 RPM is where all the power is). As for the transmission, it takes a while to get used to it. It is tuned for maximum fuel economy. The reason why you feel like the car "pulls back" when letting off of the accelertor is the trans upshifting (again to max FE).

As for the noises on startup. One is usually the ABS pump doing a "self-test" completely normal. The other "buzzes" and so forth are the various actuators/blend doors etc for the HVAC. They seem to do things even when the system is off. My '06 did the same things. The car is so quiet you hear everything.

As for the steering wheel, not sure what that could be. My '06 had the steering column replaced for a mild clunk that was a pretty much known issue. Your problem sounds different. It could just be an ill fitting trim piece around the wheel rubbing.

• necro1234necro1234 Member Posts: 23
    Hi

Thats interesting as far as your car "hesitating",
    I got a 2007 XLS so it has the 5 speed tranny and not the new 6 speed.
    I've only noticed a little hesitation when the car is stone cold (well not hesitation but it wont rev past 3500 until warm, which is a good thing of course....).

My 2007 XLS has always had a ton of pickup and when I've let off the gas I have never noticed any form of "pull back".

I had a 2006 Corolla S before this Avalon which I loved, the tranny on my current Avalon is awesome! in comparison.
    If I was forced to complain on one thing it would be the short first gear, when you sometimes need that get up and go and the car has shifted in second, the rev range is to high to get back to 1st for any real power, yet far to low in second for anything usable.

Other than that the car always knows what to do all by itself to get me what I need whether I am doing 40mph or 80mph.

I have never had a car of this type and have heard some conflicting stories of the new 6 speed generation, I cant speak from that stand point but so far (37000 miles) my Avalon has never made one disturbing sound and has never given one problem.

I can only pray it remains to serve :)

Here is my baby:

Cheers

Sheldon
    Thank you for your replies! I feel better after hearing from current owners. In my mind, I felt like I bought a lemon! Toyota has always been my only choice of vehicles and probably will always be my only choice! I think I truly have to get use to this new car. A Corolla drives entirely different than the Avalon, and I have to get use to this new change!

The Avalon is so quiet, that you can hear the slightest sounds! At least I know the car is mechanically fine and that the sounds I'm hearing are normal. Thank you very much for your help!
    "..trans upshifting..."

No, the "trans" will actually downshift, sequentually, again and again as roadspeed declines, but not to such a level as to make it a safety issue due to engine braking on teh front wheels. The intent is to enhance FE via extending the "fuel cut" coastdown period/time but without stalling the engine.

The new (07..??) ECU control firmware "watches" the rate at which you release pressure on the gas pedal and if you release gas pedal pressure significant quicker than your average the transaxle is more likely to remain in the lower gear you were just using for acceleration. Presumption being that you wish to now coast down to a lower speed.

This technique is used to (hopefully) avoid some of the inadvertent upshifts that often proceed a need to downshift. In the past the transaxle would ALWAYS upshift as you released pressure on the gas pedal on the presumption that you wished to enter cruise mode.
    W,

OK, because from what I remember of my '06 (5 speed in that year) was that on a level grade at low speeds the RPMs would drop (upon lifting up on the pedal) to me indicating an upshift. It shifts so smooth sometimes you can't tell. This is where alot of the infamous hesistation problems people complain about arose. Let off the gas, then in a few seconds put your foot back down and there was (still is?) a second delay while the tranny makes up its mind to downshift (probably doesn't have enough pump pressure at low RPM??).

I have a 2003 Avalon XLS and have loved it! Unfortunately, because the mileage is above 100,000 miles, it is time to begin looking for its replacement. I drove the 2010 Avalon and loved the feel but found it to be over 5 inches longer than the 2003. I really like a shorter car. The Camry is about the same length as my 2003 Avalon. Has anyone gone from a fully loaded Avalon to a fully loaded Camry and liked it? What about a Nissan Maxima?
    :confuse:
    First, the RPMs will always drop somewhat due to "unloading" the torque converter.

But you are otherwise correct, probably correct on two counts. First, I don't think your '06 had the firmware version that tried to avoid upshifting. And second, the fuel cut downshifting for FE wasn't as predominant.

"..in a few seconds.."

No, I think in order to encounter the extended, most noticeable, downshift delay/hesitation you must get back on the gas almost immediately after the transaxle begins the upshift, or during the upshift sequence. Wait a few seconds and the ATF pump will have time to "rebuild" the pressure.
  • lsundaylsunday Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2004 Avalon XLS that we purchased new and really love the car. The dealers keep wanting me to trade it and I won't consider it. We also have a 2008 Avalon Limited. I love it also. The extra length is not a problem and adds to the ride quality. If you have adult rear seat passengers do not consider a Camry or a Nissan or a Lexus ES. They don't have any rear seat room. Both of our Avalons are quite deceptive when it comes to rear seat room - they have a ton but don't look like it from the outside. My advice - go with the Avalon. I went from the 2004 Avalon to a Lexus ES (my wife took the 2004) back to an Avalon. I am so glad to be be back driving an Avalon. In reality, your 2003 probably has another 100K miles in it with proper maintenance.
    Isunday,

Thanks for the good advice. Today I test drove a 2010 Nissan Maxima, a fully loaded Camry, a fully loaded Venza and a fully loaded Avalon. By far the Avalon had the best ride! If we settled for anything else we would feel we had stepped down.

I am concerned that Toyota will discontinue the Avalon. We went to a very large Toyota dealership in the DFW area and they only had 4 Avalons on the lot. Right now it looks like we will be driving another Avalon - just hope they continue to carry the line.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Don't worry!

A 2011 Avalon--fully redesigned-- is currently being tooled up for an expected debut in Feb or March 2010. The only thing I could get from my dealer is that it is more "Lexus like" and will have a better nav system.
    I am wondering if the only recall regarding the 2010 Avalon is the issue involving the accelerator and floor mat. Here is the link to the description of the recall:

http://www.newcar.com/15/04/2010/toyota/avalon/recalls/38997.html

Does anyone else know of any official recalls for the 2010 model year? I am a bit confused regarding the recall with the floor mat and the accelerator. My neighbor, an older woman, also purchased a new 2010 Avalon. She claims that she's received several recalls for this new car within a month. One being a hose associated with the motor oil, and another that she described as the car (possibly)accelerating rapidly on its own (not as a result of the floor mat getting stuck with the gas pedal). This is another entirely different issue. Can someone please clarify?

I've only had my car for nearly 3 weeks and have not yet received an official recall notices from Toyota.
  • necro1234necro1234 Member Posts: 23
    Well mine is the 2007 XLS, I have only received one letter regarding the stuck accelerator and as my other post suggested, it did look to turn out to be user error in using mats not designed for the vehicle or not using the hooks to clip them in place.

Personally when you pay 35000 for a vehicle, I somehow don't think the majority of us go for grey import mats of lesser quality, I for one went for the Toyota mats designed for the vehicle and hence have never and will never have this problem.

There may have been other recalls before my vehicle though, so far I've had no issues *knock wood* :)

Cheers

Sheldon
    I have a 2007 as well, and the only official Toyota "mail" I have received is about the floor mat issue. As N says, the factory carpet mats, hooked properly, will never cause a problem.

I have never received anything in writing from Toyota about the very real VVTi oil line issue (supposedly fixed at the factory in mid 2008), or the mysterious, really unverified, vehicle acceleration seemingly caused by electronic glitches. I would not expect late model (2009-2010) owners to ever see anything from Toyota on either of these issues.
    popsavalon & necro1234,

Thank you both for your replies to my post on the recall--I appreciate your help! This is why I enjoy participating in these discussions, as current owners (people that have owned the same car for a few years) know most about these cars!
  • norbatnorbat Member Posts: 1
    I am a current Camry owner with 160,000 miles on my car and expecting 100,000 more. I am about to purchase a 2010 Avalon and need some help making decisions. Should I get the extended warranty? Can someone tell me about their repair history? I turned down the Toyoguard Plus Protection Group Package, does anyone think this is necessary? Should I get the Exterior Paint Sealant, Undercoating and Interior Protection Application put on after I have the car.

I am new to this forum and have enjoyed the knowledge I have received so far. Thanks for all the good advice; I look forward to learning more.
    VAT
    I can say this, if these things are good, then I would do them. I say it like this, because it wasn't offered to me, and now my paint has a fair amount of hairline scratches.

Interior protection package … I've got leather and don't think this would be of much help for what they'll likely charge for it.

Undercoating, I haven't seen this sold in New England in a few years?

Extended warranty, I'd waiting until mine was up or close to it, to decide.

So far anything I've needed was under warranty so I'm not sure about paying extra for something that is currently free.

Not much help, but it is what it is.

Skip
  • jemannerjemanner Member Posts: 9
    Definitely NO on the last three, all are stealership "packs." On as reliable a car as an Avalon is, would also skip the extended warranty. Not familiar with what exactly is included in the Toyoguard package.
    I definitely would NOT purchase the extended warranty for your new Avalon. Speaking for myself (I also just purchased a 2010 Avalon), I don't think I put on enough mileage in one year (between 7k-10k) to even require a need for the extended warranty. Depending upon how much mileage you put on annually, should help you decide if the extended warranty is worth the extra money. Being a current Toyota owner, I'm sure you're well aware of the fabulous reliability of these cars!

I personally think all of the extra packages, warranties, etc. offered by dealers are a complete waste of money! Save the money and do not get sucked into these offerings! Please keep us posted on how you like your new vehicle! Good luck!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Most of the consumer mags suggest not buying the extended warranty if you are buying an otherwise usually reliable (nothing is perfect) car such as the Avalon. As above, you can wait till the factory warranty is almost expired to decide. Cost is about $900. at the right Toyota dealership, you can buy from any.

Toyoguard basic has been on all my 3 Avalons. The wax is great and the finish on the cars has always been first class. I like it, glad I paid for it, but others may feel differently. Extra paint sealant, undercoating and leather protector are not necessary on an Avalon. Good luck, hope this helps....
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I don't know where you are, but if you live in the snowbelt buy the 3M shield.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Since the Avalon is sometimes referred to as a Japanese Buick, are any current Avalon owners taking a long, hard look at the new Buick LaCrosse, which has been garnering praise as a very successful new GM product, and which is taking on the Lexus ES350 in recent advertisements & TV commercials?
    I have taken a pretty good look at my neighbor's new LaCrosse. It appears to be a nice GM car, but I wouldn't trade my Avalon for it just yet.

Buick's design criterion seems to be closer to Japanese standards, but not quite there yet.

As an after thought, I wouldn't spend the difference to go from an Avalon to a ES350, either!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    There's a Lacrosse on display in the mall where we have lunch several times a week. Nice looking, but if you check out the trunk you will find a major shortcoming in this model. It looks like a Honda coupe....no space at all. We could never travel in this car.... but it does look impressive both inside and out.
  • lsundaylsunday Member Posts: 7
    I am a long time Buick owner who switched to Avalons a few years ago. I have no regrets on that. I recently decided to check out the new LaCrosse at my former Buick dealer. The car was nice but does not compare to an Avalon. Try getting in the back seat. Unless you are a pint sized adult, which I am not, you can't get in it. The rear passenger compartment is more restricted than a Lexus ES350 and that is bad. The person who commented about the trunk space is also correct. It is pitiful. The two Avalons we own are spacious and comfortable cars. The LaCrosse does not compare at all.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    I'm a big boy so the LaCrosse isn't for me. However if I were looking at what I consider a comperable buick I would be looking at the "lucerne". I'm assuming they still make them. When I bought my 07 Avalon I was actually about to sign the paper work for a new Lucerne, but my wife talked me into going down the street to "just look" at the avy before I committed to the Buick. Now between those two cars, I do think the Lucerne had a better ( softer ) ride and the one I was about to buy had the V8 Northstar in it so it would get up and run. Nice looking inside, but when it came down to it, I actually had more room in the avy, not to mention V8 performance with v6 fuel mileage. Recently took the avy on a quick trip to the ozarks and we got 29.2 mpg, and that's including alot of "hill" driving.

Roland
    I too had been a Buick man before my Avalon. I can't say as I'm real happy with that.

Let me explain a bit.

I had 3 Buick Park Avenues before getting my Avalon (and 4 Toyotas and still have the 03 Camry), One of the Park Avenues had 337,000 miles on it and I LOVED it, but time was starting to wear on the car, and it wasn't worth fixing anymore:(

My second Park Avenue, was a very nce car, but while driving one day, I saw a Beautiful Park Avaneu Ultra for sale, and bought it right then and there! Well it was just beautiful, smooth, quite, comfortable, but some 15,000 miles later, the Super Charger blow, and well, that's when I purchased the Avalon (because they no longer make Park Avenues).

I look at a Lucerne, but wasn't real impressed (it was a base model).

I will say, the new ones look very nice, and I'll likely take one for a drive some time.

What I'm really waiting for, like everyone else, is solid information on the next NEW Avalon.

Skip

PS But I've got my eyes open for a nice LS 460 L:)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I have taken a long hard look at the 2010 Buick Lacrosse and here are some basic metrics:

2010 Lacrosse CXL…//2010 Avalon Limited
    MSRP: $29,645…//$35,285
    Invoice: $28,459…//$31,401
    MPG: city - highway 17- 26…//19-28
    Cargo volume: 13.3cu. ft...//14.4 cu. ft.
    Exterior length: 196.9"…//197.2”
    Exterior Width: 73.1 "…//72.8 "
    Exterior Height : 59.2 "…//58.5 "
    Front Legroom: 41.7 "…//41.3 "
    Rear Legroom: 40.5 "…//40.9 "
    Front Headroom: 38.0 "…//38.9 "
    Rear Headroom: 37.3 "…//37.5 "
    Front Hiproom: 55.2 "…//55.8 "
    Rear Hiproom: 53.9 " …//56.2 "
    Front Shoulder Room: 57.4 "…//59.4 "
    Passenger Volume: 102 cu.ft….//107 cu.ft.

Although the exterior dimensions of the cars are similar, that is not true for hip and shoulder room. Nonetheless, the Lacrosse has more interior room than the 00 - 04 Avalon. Still, the Lacrosse is one beautiful car that makes the Avalon look downright dated and dowdy.

I am definitely leaning toward the Lacrosse and I will probably make a decision during the President Day sales in February when better deals will be available.
    Of what good would be a V8 NorthStar engine in a FWD vehicle..??

So severely derated/detuned for safety in the lower gear ratios as to be outperformed by most any V6.
    Why would you throw in the fact that the 2010 Lacrosse has more interior room that a 2004 Avalon? If there is any doubt in anyone's mind about interior room, just go sit in the seats (front and back) of a current model Avalon and Lacrosse. Also, look in the trunk.

The Lacrosse is a nice car, but it's not quite the roomy, comfortable, honest 29-30 MPG at 75 MPH, Avalon that I own.
  • toyman2toyman2 Member Posts: 9
    Here's my take on avalon. First you can't compare it to the Camry or the ES. It is rated a large car by the EPA. The real question is if Toyota needs or wants a flagship, and if they do will they be happy with a mid-size Camry in that role.I think the Avalon needs to be a large car and needs to be even more luxurious. Toyota worries about encroaching sales of the LS, but people who want a Lexus don't shop in the Toyota store, and the two cars are already more than $20k apart. Plenty of room for more Avalon in that gap. The Limited could be made more luxurious with only modest upgrades to the exterior. Perhaps better/larger wheels and a chrome strip. Inside they need to lose all the hard and painted surfaces and add a motorized tilt/telescope steering wheel and touch screen navigation. It would still top out near $40K.
    Right you are. Why do people compare mid size cars to Full size cars? No one questions the 5 and 7 series or the E and S class, so why the Camry/Avalon equation. This is Toyota, the largest car company in the world. Are the mid-size Camry or the new Lacrosse really flagships? Do you think GM would settle for the LaCrosse flagship if they had the development money to redo the Lucerne. I remember when their Lesabre was the best selling Full Size car in America. That market is still there, and Toyota's Avalon is the right formula to fill that need. Don't be fooled by bean counters marketing. Full size cars may be under pressure, but they'll be back, including a new Q, or do people think the mid-size M35 is really Nissan's idea of a Flag Ship?
    I agree with you, but there are additional synergies. Avalon is traditionally built on a former (stretched) Camry platform which means old, long ago paid for tooling. Also, despite Avalon being a North American only model it shares bits with other Toyotas such as the Austrailian Aurion. Besides Toyota cannot afford its' only large car North American offering to be a rear wheel drive LS that's starts at $60K plus.
    Mystery solved. Toyota wasn't ready with a new 2010 Avalon due to economic uncertainty and there own internal slow down. They simply delayed the introduction to an early 2011 that comes out in Feb/March, and allowed themselves a few months of 2010 production of the existing model and a few more months to amortize the existing tooling. Incidentally, and also based on economics, this longer model life is a prelude to the future from not only Toyota but other car companies as well.
    Along with many other individuals who like the Avalon, I am very curious to see the new generation! I think you're definitely correct about the time it will probably debut. My only hope is that I will not regret buying a 2010 once seeing the redesigned generation! I like the current generation, which is why I bought a 2010. But, I have a feeling the new generation will be a huge improvement over the current generation.

Spring is fast approaching, so we'll just have to wait for the details!
    I think, IF they are coming out with a new Avalon, it MIGHT get announced in early spring - FOR fall delivery, But I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hear nothing until late spring or early fall, unless of course they have already started to slow down on production of the 2010 Avalon.

It wouldn't make much sense to me, for folks to buy a 2010 in the spring, if Toyota is talking about the 2011, again unless the 2011 doesn't become available until late 2011, and or, unless the price difference is worth it, or they don't have any 2010 left.

I don't see Toyota making a 2010 Avalon because of all the cost associated with it, and then coming out with the 2011 Avalon just a few months later.

Skip
    Or for the fact, what are the dates for any car shows in 2011. Based on these, we can start guessing when Toyota might announce a new style Avalon.

Skip
    I'm trying to remember exactly, but Toyota published production schedules in September that showed the 2010 being built only October 2009 thru February of 2010. That's a shortened production season by about 3-4 months so that the new 2011 model could begin in earnest starting in March. Also, if I recall didn't the current model come out in March 2004 as a 2005? This timing would be consistent for Toyota. I really think a fall intro is unlikely due to the shortened 2010 production scedule.
  • stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    I am a current owner of a 03 Avalon XLw/leather,power seats,alloys and moonroof. I am about to hit 80,000 miles. This is my number 2 family car. I already own a new SUV as the number 1 family car. I am contemplating trading up to a new 10 Ltd or even a used 06-09 Ltd. I have spent money only on regular maintenance,front brakes and a new set of tires in its first 80,000 miles. This tells you that I am happy with my old Avalon. As you might expect, it will cost me $10K to $25K to go to an 06 + or 10 Limited. For all you 2nd and/or 3rd generation owners- Is the 3rd gen Avalon that much better than the older gen 2 Avy? I am concerned as the mileage is getting up there that I finally may have to start putting money into my 03. Any thoughts as to reliability of the 2 generations or probale upcoming expenses would be greatly appreciated,
    As some of you may have read in my previous posts, I recently purchased a 2010 Avalon XLS. The one feature I wish I had is a rear window sunshade. Whether it be manual retracting, or power, I do not mind. Does anyone know of any reputable aftermarket brands? I assume the power shade that is standard on the Limited model could not be installed on my XLS model. If anyone has any advice, please post. Thank you!
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    We have a 2000 Avalon with 140000 miles and replace nothing but brakes and tires
    I t still looks like new and runs fine. My wife says she notices it is not quite as tight as it used to be and compared with my 09 camry. It could run forever