Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I might not be happy with the snow tires I've purchased, but I too, would not agree with RWD being better then FWD. But I would also add, that I am fine with either, and in all cases, I have just made sure to have snow tires that I liked, and that woreked for me on each car.

I have owned several front wheel drive (the last 10 cars) and MANY more RWD cars. My favorite car so far, was my 1972 Cutless Supreme, with 4 studded snow tires! That car would and did go anywhere, and I felt very comfortable driving it at all times.

Now I should point out, I was a bunch younger, and likely to be a bunch crazier, and shiit bothered me a whole hell of a lot less then it does now. I will say, all of the Pontiac Catalina's were great in the snow, but again, I likely had studded tires on them, and I was younger. Those cars were nice and heavy, which I'm sure had a lot to do with how well they went in the snow (if I remember correctly:) )

Skip
  • ksward74ksward74 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any advice for me. I'm going to buy my 2nd Avalon next week. I purchased a 2001 Avalon, traded it for a 2006 Camry and have always wanted my Avalon back. Next week I am going to get a 2009 Avalon. Any advice from someone who has a 2009 as to what amenities I need to look for. The only two must haves for me are leather seats and 6 cyl engine.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    If your only must haves are truly leather and a V-6, you can get an XL Avalon with leather interior (heated seats) for around $30K.

A dealer may tell you that leather is not available in the XL, but it is out there as a "Distributor Installed Option". My dealer got one with my color choice in two days.

The XL has enough bells and whistles to make a very nice car with the addition of leather. I am very pleased with mine, and the price was right.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "he believes that ANYTHING (FWD, AWD, 4WD, treads) is inferior.."

A bit of a BROAD BRUSH, that.

What I believe is that ANY vehicle that has the PRIMARY drive on the same wheels as those providing "stearage", directional control, is PATENTLY UNSAFE on adverse, slippery, low traction, roadbed conditions.

That MIGHT include AWD vehicles if they would more properly be referred to as F/AWD, as many vhicles with "sideways" front mounted engines should be. The sole exception being the SH-AWD system.

4WD....If that means having a LOCKED center diff'l as it offen does then yes, those can also turn quickly hazardous, unsafe, on an adverse roadbed. You may note that most modern day 4WD & 4X4 vehicles automatically DISABLE all ABS/VSC/TC/EBD/BA functionality when the center diff' is locked. These features have functionality and capabilities FAR beyond those of us mere mortals and therefore there can be NO human substitute insofar as safety is concerned..

When the rotation rate of the front and rear wheels are locked together in this manner those features cannot be made functional and might even operate to your detriment if enabled.

And ANY 4WD or 4X4 owner/driver that doesn't know/understand that the center diff'l shouldn't be left locked once "underway" simply has (unknowingly..??) a death wish.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    In my experience distributor - aftermarket - leather is not of the same quality as that supplied by the factory; and is usually overpriced.

Step up to the XLS. Factory leather is standard and you will have all the whistles & bells you need for very little additional money.

Another thought. 09 is aparently the last year for this body style, and info on the 2010 Avalons should be appearing shortly. Might be smart to wait a couple of months & see what's new.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    One thing I have noticed after recently switching to RWD is that it seems my previous
    FWD vehicles handled better in crosswinds. The RWD seems to be more subject to being buffeted around more.

Maybe FWD has more weight over the front steering tires and that helps. Just my own personal experience after going from an Acura RL to a Lexus LS.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Our LS400's '91, '92(2), and a '95, are the most stable, quiet, and comfortably riding cars I have ever driven. One of the '92's and the '91 have air suspension, now that's COMFORT...!!!
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    'affinity' might be an understatement -, 'obsession' might be better as far as wwest is concerned.
    The point concerning the drive wheels also doing the steering - and the problems that creates such with Torque steer (especially with these newer high HP engines) , engine braking, and the natural weight imbalance that usually comes with FWD vehicles are., however, valid points. BUT, the primary advantage that he seemingly wants to dismiss, is exactly what you mention - traction on those slippery nasty roads.
    Many years ago, some of the better cars that would successfully allow you to navigate on really bad roads were the VW bug and some Saabs - RWD and rear engined cars - WHY - better traction from the weight over the drive wheels. You could get places that the front engined RWD cars at the time couldn't dream of, which then begs the real issue - what is safer, that RWD sedan you mention that gets you stuck (or even worse refuses to move (because of the traction/stability control systems )), or that FWD sedan that at least gets you where you want to go?

Given the relative abilities of today's driver (a real problem) - and their lack of experience with any kind of RWD cars, it is clear that FWD cars are definitely the better choice, especially in parts of the country that do see snow covered/icy roads frequently. Unless, of course, we all want to start putting sandbags in our trunks again ;) For my part, I 'd be willing to bet - that any driver in an Avalon, will be able to get to more places more safely than he/she could in, let's say, a Chrysler 300
    Just take a detailed look at the overall operating dynamics of the SH-AWD system if you wish to understand, take advantage of, both FWD featrues and RWD features.

Speaking of those early VW's that were a favorite of my USAF buddies in the late fifties in NH, look how long it has taken Porsche to "tame" their rear engine rear wheel drive 911's. Good aspect: rear engine RWD. Bad, BAD aspect: rear engine RWD....!!

Once the rear of that VW started to inadvertently (intentional being quite another matter) "come about" there was NO recovery possible, as was the case for the 911.

Yes, the automotive industry would like nothing more than for the public to continue drinking their Cool Aid, FWD Cool Aid.

Oh, modern day TC, Traction Control, implementations on a RWD or R/AWD vehicle is a LOT more beniegn, less driver intrusive, than ANY modern day FWD or F/AWD implementation. Wheelspin/slip due to too much engine torque at the rear driven wheels is a lot less life threatening than the "same" event on the front "driven" wheels.

But NO driver with a decent level of experience or training would/should have need, continuous need, of ANY TC system other than as an early warning of adverse roadbed conditions.
    While torque stear in a FWD can be a problem, IS a problem at times, it was or is not a serious or primary consideration in my denegration of FWD and F/AWD vehicle. Torque stear CANNOT raise its ugly head unless one has a fairly high traction coefficient with the roadbed.

My concern of/about FWD & F/AWD is primarily about the greater potential for loss of directional control due to engine torque, leading or lagging.
    The leather interior I purchased was on the original invoice, so I question the term "aftermarket". My point was that I got an XL with some very nice bells and whistles plus a leather interior with heated seats for 30K. It is an outstanding car that meets my needs, at a very reasonable price.

You cannot buy an XLS with heated seats for less than 35K, probably 36-37K when you add some other things that would be "nice to have", but not really necessary for nice comfortable transportation.

In this economy, I would rather have the money in hand!
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    You must be talking Canadian $. You can buy a new Avalon Limited with everything but NAV for $33K easily! So the XLS should be much less than that.
    You are probably right on numbers, I was using some old data from before the car sales crash.
    My main point was to be that that an XL is still a nice car for around 15% less than an XLS, if you are watching dollars.
  • amauhryamauhry Member Posts: 55
    In September of 2007 I bought an '08 Limited with all factory options (except for the body molding and spoiler) for.....$37,705.25 including tax and everything else.
    That happened here in NYC.

The car was fully paid for by the time I drove it out of the showroom on that beautiful September day.

Amaury
    '08 Limited
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Since it appears that the Avalon will not return in 2010 I am thinking the Hyundai Genesis might be a worthy and less expensive replacement. I have seen the 290-hp Genesis up close but so far have not yet test driven it.

At a Chevy/Hyundai dealership I had a chat with the sales manager and he said a good offer would be $800 below invoice. What do you guys think, is the Genesis the way to go or perhaps the Lexus ES350?
    The area Hyundai dealer made me a nice offer AFTER I purchased my Avalon:(

I thought about one before I purchased the Avalon, but at $3500.00 more then the Avalon, I couldn't see it. Of course it was the second phone call that had the price lowered to within the reach of the Avalon.

I'm glad (so far) that I didn't purchase it … mostly because they just got a Very nice, low mileage unit in trade, and they are selling it for $16990.00!

Now I point this out because right now, they DO NOT have a great following, or a very good re-sale value. That's a $20,000.00 PLUS drop in 1 model year (and only 11,300 miles).

Now likely to be something about the car, but I don't see anything.

Now checking online for used Avalon's brings up several come up, and ALL at nice high prices. Which makes me happy, that right now, they have a great re-sale value. For that reason alone, I would purchase a current model Avalon, and worried about the fact they MAY drop it from the lineup in a few years.

I sold my 2007 Camry for $1,140.00 less then I paid for it, after 13 months and 38,000 miles

My wife has been offered $11,400.00 as a trade for her 2003 Toyota Camry with 47,000 original miles on it.

My point … Toyotas hold their value, and for that reason alone I would purchase another one.

Hyundai Genesis gets for good reviews as the car goes, but most do wonder about the re-sale value.

I will say, when you go to Toyota.com and compare the Genesis to the Avalon, there sure isn't as much difference as we would have though. Size, dimensions, space, room and so on, are very compatible. Sure makes you wonder which market Hyundai is after.

I'm guessing it will be a nice car, but don't worry about the fact the Avalon may be gone as such in 2010, it will be replaced, not gone.

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I am thinking the Hyundai Genesis might be a worthy and less expensive replacement

I don't know about being less expensive (40K loaded V6) however it is a nice ride. I drove one it feels a lot different than the Avalon being RWD and having a stiffer suspension. My '06 Avalon is due to come off lease soon and I am in a similar dilemma.... if the Avalon is being redesigned for 2010 I will extend my lease or just drive my pickup until the new model comes out. If its being discontinued the ES350 or the Genesis are my top two picks. The ES is a great car too but smaller than the Av and the Genesis the verdict is still out on.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I agree with you on everything except being the most stable. I wonder if I could have a tire or alignment issue?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I had a very scary event in my LS a couple of days ago and I am curious if this has happened to anyone else.

I was driving up a snow packed hill with traction control engaged and this was my first experience with this car in the snow. No wheel spin but the car just got slower and slower and finally stopped...then started rolling backwards. Apparently, at that point the computer killed the engine so I am free wheeling backwards down the hill with very little control.

Every time I would try to slow down by braking I would begin toe slew sideways (very narrow seldom used road so there was no traffic, thank goodness). I went backwards down the hill for about 100 yards. It was not a really steep hill but it was steep enough.

I finally got stopped, then turned around in a driveway with no damage but...if this had been in traffic it could have been very bad. I have never had this happen to me before in any car and I have driven in snow, ice, and hills for more years that I like to remember.

This is a little cut thru road that saves a couple of miles and the outside temp was in the 40's. Other roadways were completely clear but this area was in deep shade so old ice had not melted. If I had had any idea the road was icy I would not have been on it.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Where did I go wrong other than being dumb enough to be on this particular road? Does anyone know why the engine stalled and is this normal? Thanks for any comments.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Toyota's (Lexus) TC is very aggressive. Not sure what year your LS is. However, my 2000 Solara's TC caused me plenty of headaches to the point of turning it off almost everytime I had to make a quick turn or attempt a steep hill in ice/snow. The system will cut engine power if applying the brakes isn't enough. On an icy road you could actually have the acclerator floored and the car will do nothing.

My '06 Avalon's is programmed a little better (IMO) allowing a little wheelspin. However, it can't be deactivated with a switch like earlier models. What I would do is find the crazy set of commands to disable it (unless your LS has a switch) The Avalon forums have the procedure , however I am not sure if it would apply to your LS.

It is a 2006 and it does have a switch to disable the t/c. After I got to the bottom of the hill and restarted the engine I remembered to turn it off as the car still would not move. Until I stopped moving I did not realize that the engine had stalled because the car is so quiet !

Thanks for the tip. I thought it had something to do with t/c but was not sure. I would not normally drive this car in bad weather but I got surprised !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    I have to agree with popsavalon... The XL with added leather should do you just fine. I have an 07 XLS and love the car with one exception, the sun roof. Don't know what part of the country you're in, but I can tell you in cooler temperatures the sun roof has a rattle... I know it's the sun roof because I can put my hand up against it and apply a little pressure and the rattle stops... Fortuntely the rattle also stops after the heaters been on for about 3 or 4 minutes and the car interior warms up. None the less the rattle bothers me and If I remember correctly you can get the XL without the sunroof but with added leather seats... If I were to do it again, I would certainly consider the XL. Good luck car shopping.

Roland
    Sort of glad to hear your happy with your 2007 XLS. Sort of, because I'm wondering about the sun roof issue?

I just purchased a 08 Touring Avalon with sun roof and a few other features, and as of yet, I haven't had any issue with the sun roof rattling. I'm located in Maine, so I KNOW it gets cold enough:) I'll be watching this carefully.

I notice that kind of rattling in the dash a little bit, in both this Avalon and my 07 Camry, when it was COLD (single digits or colder). It too disappears after the cabin has warmed up some. This was in the Camry, annoying - in the Avalon a bit of a disappointment. But hell, I rattle on those cold morning to, until I've warmed up a bit:)

Skip
  • ksward74ksward74 Member Posts: 3
    Well, we live in Oklahoma and just bought our 2nd Avalon. I didn't get the replies in time to help with our decision on which model. Hopefully, the cold weather won't be as bad as up north so the sun roof won't rattle!!! We got the 2008 Limited because they made us a better deal than on the '09 models. It has 6800 miles and had been driven by the Toyota staff. Our first Avalon was a 2001 XL and we were very happy with it, but this '08 Limited is amazing. I don't want to get it out of the garage so I can protect it from car door dings and rocks!!! I've been on vacation so have to go back to work on Monday. We might get snow, so wish me luck on keeping the pearl tri-coat clean!!! I am very happy to be back in the Avalon family. Love my Avalon!!!
    The TC, Traction Control, on the early LSes, prior to 2000, had a design that was better used with the fuse removed....NO ACTIVATION.

The braking of the rear wheels and engine dethrottling was virtually INSTANT, and seemingly took HOURS to unwind and return control of the throttle to the driver. After a few times with inadvertent activation I tried to religiously remember to turn it off each time I started the LS.

But the biggest mistake was actually yours, not having tire chains installed on the rear when clearly that was what was required.

The law of physics, you know.

"at that point the computer killed the engine.."

The TC in the early LS will so severely dethrottle the engine as to make you think it's stalled, and it doesn't help that it takes so l..o...n....g to "unwind" the dethrotting effect.
    About, or after 2000, these was a divergence in the firmware control for Toyota and Lexus RWD & R/AWD vehicles vs FWD & F/AWD vehicles. Because loss of traction on the driven wheels of a FWD is such a more serious, potentially more serious, matter than loss of traction on the driven wheels of a RWD, the detrottling of FWD vehicles is virtually simultaneous with the detection of wheelspin/slip.

On a RWD dethrottling is often delayed a few hundred milliseconds after wheelspin/slip is detected and braking is applied.
    But the biggest mistake was actually yours, not having tire chains installed on the rear when clearly that was what was required.

Chains? Well I guess a snow cat would have been even better. If you had read my post, or comprehended it, you would know that 99.9% of the roads were clear and it was 40+ degrees. Absolutely no indication that chains would be required.

The isolated icy stretch was only about a quarter mile long that I came upon quite unexpectedly. Even if I had chains with me, which I didn't, it would have been impossibly dangerous to stop on this very narrow road and attempt to install them.

If there had been any indication of bad roads I would simply have taken my SUV. Unfortunately there are some circumstances that you just can't foresee.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Ncee.... this may not apply to you but you mentioned no sun roof rattle, but you did notice a rattle in the dash. Does it sound like it's coming from the right side ( passenger ) side of the dash? That's what I first heard and thought the rattle was coming from the dash. After I got on the internet and started researching the rattle issues with the avalon, I found a post that someone left saying they heard a rattle on the right side of the dash ( or at least thought that was where the rattle was ) but actually it was from the sun roof. Well, the next time I heard the "dash" area rattle, I opened the visor on the sun roof and pressed lightly against the glass... sure enough, the rattle I thought I heard n the dash, stopped everytime I pressed against the sun roof... I suspect the reason it sounded like it was coming from the dash area is becuase the rattle sound was traveling down the A-pillars into the dash compartment. In any event that's how I discovered it was my sunroof. Dealer said something about sending it to a trim shop where they would have to drop the headliner but since the rattle goes away as soon as the car interior warms from the heater, I elected not to have it worked on. To the gentleman that said they lived in Oklahoma and doubted it would get cold enough for the rattle, well, I live in Louisiana and it gets cold enough here for the rattle so i'm sure it will be cold enough where you live. However since you have an 08 or 09, Toyota may have corrected the problem in the newer models... hope so for your sake... enjoy your Avy... they're very good cars, but hey, I've never owned a car that was perfect.

Roland
    Right side and sometimes center. I will check the sunroof the next time it happens and see if it goes away. It will be nice to at least know what and where it's coming from.

Skip
  • necro1234necro1234 Member Posts: 23
    Ye I've read/heard some "interesting" stories on the bad side of TC.
    I've never had TC (I'm originally from South Africa) and heck, I haven't even had ABS before coming to the US.
    We had to learn all the manual ways of pumping the brake and so forth (which I truly believe makes one a better driver than throwing them in something that "thinks" for you at 16)
    Anyhow, the 07 XLS I got my grubby paws on has no TC, I've had a few wheel spins on icy roads and the car has had that situation where it wants to pull to the side as traction is lost on one wheel, but so far I've found the car to be very forgiving of getting into situations and pretty easy to get the Avalon out of them all.

So far so good my side *knock wood* :P
    I've never had much experience in RWD though other than a Dodge Charger rental (which I loved the feel of, thing felt like a 10 ton tank sunk in the ground, felt VERY stable), I don't know that I personally would change to RWD just due to my inexperience with it in a climate that gets snow/ice.

Cheers guys

Sheldon
  • necro1234necro1234 Member Posts: 23
    Thank you for that post.
    I too have a 07 XLS and have also noticed a rattle at time that from your description sounds very much like mine, I have never suspected the sun roof though.
    Next time I hear this I'll put pressure on it and see if it also is coming from there.

Thanks again

Sheldon
    Yes, I think you are right about learning to drive without tc. It should make you a better driver. I'll know to disengage tc next time in get in a fix like that ! The Avalon is a great car, enjoy, and welcome to the good ol' U.S.A. !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Visited my local dealer today & the sales Mgr. said there will be an all new 2010 Avalon in the showrooms
    Sept/Oct of this year. No details on the car, yet; but he said his onfo is straight from Toyota USA.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    On this board see post #23 dated Nov 16th... Japan always knows first as it's the home office where all major decisions are made. Only after the big decisions do the area people, like Toyota USA, get involved. My last discussion on this subject with the dealership connection did not provide anything new, just confirmed a different car...again. All spy pics welcome! :)
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I have 2008 LTD and have 40+K miles and no problems quiet, great milage, lots of electronics, GPS least favorite, JBL and BU camera most favorite. I am happy owner.
    would buy again
  • mffan310mffan310 Member Posts: 7
    Well, I went to the Toyota dealer yesterday to ask when they were going to get in the new 2010 Prius (answer was late May/early June), and I also asked about other new non-Prius product launches, particularly hybrids.

Turns out that the head salesguy at the dealer had just talked with the TMS Chicago Region rep, who had told him about three new Toyotas (2010/11 4Runner, Avalon/Avalon Hybrid, and Sienna/Sienna Hybrid). All will be launching in the fall (they were originally going to launch on the auto show circuit, but cost cuts in the auto biz, including at Toyota, put a halt to the plans).

Anyway, here's a few details of the 2010/11 Avalon:
    -One trim level, like Venza, with choice of packages. Toyota wants to make Avalon more affordable to appeal to younger buyers.
    -Choice of 3.5L V6 for gas model or new Hybrid model with 3.5L V6 + 3G Hybrid Synergy Drive. (Hybrid should get lower-mid 30s MPG combined city/highway.)
    -Many Lexus-like features, like Lane Keep Assist and Intelligent Park Assist, along with a roomier interior.
    -Production starts at TMMK in the fall.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Love to get a US version of the Crown Majesta as the new Avalon:

http://toyota.jp/crownmajesta/exterior/garally/index.html

In any case, looking forward to seeing any spy pics of a new Avalon. Anybody seen anything around Toyota Sales in Torrance, CA? Western Ave. and 190th St.
    As would I:)

Boy that sure looks like a great car. Here's hoping.

Skip
    The 5th. generation Crown MAJESTA (S180) is a huge V-8, rear-wheel drive car weighing in excess of 4,000 lbs and costing more than $69,000. Nice car, but probably above the price point for a Toyota. Read more at http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-crown-majesta
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    Speculating on Toyota's Japanese models as replacements for the Avalon is a lot of fun, but the reality is very different. The Avalon is a North America-only model, and probably doesn't have the sales volume that would justify its existence, except for one thing. It is manufactured at the same Georgetown Kentucky plant as the Camry, and there are procurement and manufacturing synergies that make the car worthwhile from a profit perspective.

Any significant deviation from its Camry-derived platform and running gear would put the Avalon in an unsustainable market position.
    I believe the Avalon is currently using the old Camry platform (2006) as basically the Avalon body hasn't changed since 2005. So maybe at least they will be changing over to the new body.

Of course I could be wrong if the 2005 Avalon got the new body before the Camry?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

As the chart shows with each passing year sales of a model declines so based upon historial precedence the Avalon cannot survive unless a new model is introduced.

US Calendar Year Sales
    2000 --104,078
    2001 --83,005
    2002 --69,029
    2003 --50,911
    2004 --36,460

2005 --95,318
    2006 --88,938
    2007 --72,945
    2008 --42,790
    It will be interesting to see what 2009 brings for sales.

It's not just the aging of a model now, it's also the economy, other models and simply do folks need a new car?

Many of us, currently have a new enough model, and those that don't, may not have a job, or don't know how much longer they will have a job.

Folks are getting much harder to talk into a new car, when they one they have is just fine, or in MANY cases, they are up-side down on the value vs the trade-in or even selling out right price.

I know I paid just months earlier, a price for my Avalon, that at the time was very good ($6.000.00 under invoice), yet now as a trade-in it's worth even less then that by several thousand dollars ; this is to much, for even me to deal with.

I say "Even me" because - if I want something I just buy it:)

Now I'll wait and see what the next model has to offer, and if I WANT it, I'll deal with the money issues and be ok with it. Heck I'm looking into trading for a 2 or 3 year old Lexus LS 430, and we'll be taking a beating - of sorts.

The bottom line here is this.

The automotive industry wants folks to pay a new car, but folks just can't keep doing this every other year, and if folks keep their cars for 5 or more years, which is what they are saying folks are doing, then the industry will have to look at making cars for 2 years, then taking a year off or something weird like that.

But I digress …:)
    Of course I could be wrong if the 2005 Avalon got the new body before the Camry?

In '05 the platform was heavily revised ("all new" according to Yota) for the then new Avalon. The '07 Camry then got the shortened version and the 2GR motor from the Avalon. So as of right now the Camry and Avalon (and Highlander, ES, RX, RAV, Sienna) are all on the same basic platform and engines.

• jemannerjemanner Member Posts: 9
    I agree to this thread, the Avalon will probably go away in these tough times for auto manufacturers. Besides the obvious, such as very little response to suggested improvements by owners (NAV system, soft handling, etc) there are small indicators unnoticed my some, such as the 2009 brochure being very abbreviated, and dropping the Touring model, which Consumer Reports reported as being the better handling model. I hope I am wrong, but the indicators are out there.
  • jemannerjemanner Member Posts: 9
    Talked to my dealer today, and if one can believe the sales folks, the Avalon will receive a makeover for 2010. However, he was not forthcoming with any details, if there are any available at this point in time.
  • bl101bl101 Member Posts: 1
    I spoke to Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky Inc., the Toyota Motor Corp. subsidiary responsible for the Georgetown, Kentucky assembly plant that produces the Avalon, on 6/15/09.

They confirmed that a 2010 Avalon will be produced, although they would not share when production of the 2010 vehicle would begin. I inferred from their comments that no significant design changes would be introduced for the 2010 model year.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky Inc. did indicate that the 2009 Avalon continues to be produced. They also confirmed that it is still possible to factory order a 2009 Avalon should you care to do so.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    The Avalon needs a major update or redesign in order to effectively compete with the forthcoming Ford Taurus and Buick Lacrosse, which should both be outstanding cars for the money. The Taurus seems to have more sporty pretensions and its close relationship to the Lincoln MKS is more than obvious. The Lacrosse seems to be more luxury oriented. Both cars in the low $30ks, well equipped. I don't think the 2010 Avalon will be competitive without a major redesign.
    Were I managing Toyota the new Avalon would be a RWD clone of Lexus GS with the Venza I4 but upgraded to DFI.