Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How to correct bad wheel hop on acceleration.

avalon2005avalon2005 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I have a 05 avalon that I have owned since new. Any time there is the slightest wheel slip on starting out the front wheels bounce violently. It happened today on a wet street with very minimum throttle pressure. Does anyone know of this problem and are there any TSB's covering this condition.

It is so bad that it may tear up the drive line.

Comments

• Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    " on a wet street...."

Have you actually "seen" them bounce, bouncing, or has someone told you they have seen them bouncing..??

It is much more likely that what you are experiencing is TC, Traction Control, in action, activating. Your Avalon is FWD (Front Wheel Drive) so even the slightest level, indication of, loss of traction, must be quickly addressed, DAMN QUICKLY ADDRESSED.

If you happen to apply excessive torque for roadbed conditions at "startup" (no forward motion, no momentum/inertia to help maintain your line of direction) the TC system will (MUST, for safety's sake) quickly react via braking of BOTH front wheels and possibly just as quickly dethrottling the engine.

Rotors "wet" making the brakes "grabby"...??

The front end SHAKE arising from TC activation can be pretty severe at times and could certainly be mistaken for wheel bounce, suspension windup due to engine torque and a HIGH roadbed traction coefficient, NEVER on a "wet" street.

Hmmm...

'05 Avalon....

Front struts/suspension worn enough to exacerbate front end "shake" from TC activation...??
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    My '06 Avalon has done this from day 1. Your explanation is dead on. Definately the TC.

Orig poster: Peak around the 2005+ Avalon forum for the method to disable the VSC/Trac system and on the next day it rains try it out. You will see what we are talking about.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Thanks guys for the quick replies. Your thoughts might be right if I had traction control, but I have the XL model and VSC and Traction control are not on it and were not even an option at the time. In my original post I said that the street was wet. That is not the only time it happens. Most of the time the street has been dry when it happens. I had about a 20 minute visit on the phone with Toyota in California today about it and they are sending the case to our dealer.

It isn't a cut in power, the power is still there and the wheel is bouncing violently. In the car it sounds like BAM BAM BAM. By the way I also own a 07 Prius and talk about traction control, the Prius is king of traction control. The slighest little wheel spin and the power is cut instantly. So I know about traction control and what the Avalon is doing is not it. Besides no traction control on XL.

My guess is more like a bad motor mount or struts. We'll see what happens with the dealer.
  • Options
    I would be surprised, EXTREMELY so, if Toyota built any FWD or F/AWD vehicle absent TC as late as 2005, let alone a "Flagship" Avalon. TC is NOT an option (and VSC shouldn't be), at least not anymore, with FWD or F/AWD passenger vehicles.
  • Options
    http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/avalon/review.html

According to the above link ALL 2005 Avalon models have TC & VSC.
  • Options
    That may be what the article said, but here is a scan of the original sales literature that was available when the car was new. The first column is for the XL, second is for Touring, third is for XLS and the last column is for Limited.

Notice that VSC and Traction is not shown on the first and second columns and shown as optional on the last two.

The other link goes to a scan of the safety part of the window sticker. If the car were equipped with Traction Control, they would surely have listed it with the safety features.

http://www.wbcoxco.com/traction1.jpg

http://www.wbcoxco.com/sticker1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.