Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• nonunionnonunion Member Posts: 11
    I own a '99 4Runner SR5 4WD Sport Edition with the 3.4L 6 cyl. and auto trans. Does the Sport Edition model have any structural differences other than the hood scoop? I've been told the suspension is different in some way than the non-Sport Edition 4 Runners.
  • cptnemocptnemo Member Posts: 2
    87 octane, 87 octane, 87 octane, 87 octane, 87 OCTANE, DID I SAY 87 OCTANE...I SHOULD HAVE SAID "87 OCTANE" WORKS FINE !!!!
  • cptnemocptnemo Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 4Runner key starts the car and opens all of the doors including the rear hatch. I was given a separate (different tint) key to use when letting a parking attendent park the car. This key will not open the console or glove box. Hope this helps.
  • shadetree11shadetree11 Member Posts: 2
    I'm new here so bare with me. I have a 1997 4runner (2WD SR5) with 225-75-15 tires. I plan to put the optional 265-70-16 tires on the 4runner. Is there an easy way to recalibrate the speedometer to read correctly. I've done this in my hotrod days with Chevy's and Ford's by swapping speedo drive gears but have never worked with electronic speedometers and a VSS.

Tried to look thru the previous questions but couldn't find anything on fixing the slow speedo
  • ray37ray37 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Toyota 4-Runner Limited. My computerized dash thermometer says it's 94 degrees outside when it's actually 110. Where is the sensor located, and how can this problem be fixed.

Thanks,

Ray
  • nonunionnonunion Member Posts: 11
    The brake pads I bought at the Toyota dealer recently for my wife's 1999 4 Runner 4WD SR5 are already squealing a little when I brake while backing up. The previous pads were "lifetime" ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts that made brake dust like you wouldn't believe! I hate brake dust and squealing. The rotors are new and have not been over-torqued. What type/brand of pads are best for this SUV ?
  • magchasemagchase Member Posts: 16
    For our newer 2007 4Runner Sport, we weren't going to pay the dealership $500.00 to "wax" the vehicle. We purchased the Simoniz System 5 through e-Bay and I applied it myself and we really like the results.
    Question: Can anyone recommend another product that can be used over the Simoniz product to enhance and preserve the finish, something that will not be detrimental to the Simoniz product?
    Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion too.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your ABS, Anti-lock braking system is NOT designed to shorten your braking distance. If anything, on a somewhat slippery roadbed, it will more likely elongate the distance it takes to stop the vehicle than not. The idea of ABS is to keep those front wheels rolling just enough to allow you to maintain directional control, actually have stearing control/response during severe or panic braking events Rather than skidding, wheels solidly LOCKED, out of control which is what might happen otherwise.

Some day soon I expect we will see Anti-lock braking systems that do not activate unless the VSC senses that the vehicle is not following the desired/correct direction.
  • mikev28mikev28 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find mention of it in the lists. I've been told that Toyota had some production problems (changed plants) and no one knows when the 08's will come out, or even if they will come out. The local dealers claim no knowledge of any of this but also can't tell me when 08's are expected nor do they have any literaure on them. I'm in the process of negotiating a new lease on an '07 but just wondering if Toyota isn't offering much in the way of incentives since they don't seem to have the '08's ready.
    Has anyone heard about this? Thanks.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I got an email from Michelin announcing a new tire for us 2003 and newer 4Runner owners. It's the LTX A/T2 which is more aggressive than the Cross-Terrain. Also, found out Michelin also makes the XC-LT4 in the 17" size too. Just thought you'd like to know.
  • jlutherpjlutherp Member Posts: 1
    I need to know the easiest way to remove a front drivers side door panel. Any Help would be appreciated. I have all screws and plastic parts removed except for the inside door latch. Im not sure how to remove without damaging parts. Its a 94 4runner with power locks and power windows. No speaker in door.

Im actually trying to find out why the window goes down but not up. Any advice on this?

Thanks for your help
  • richinraleighrichinraleigh Member Posts: 18
    Anyone have any idea on when the 4Runner will be redesigned? I currently have a leased 2004 and am deciding what to do when my lease is up this fall. I'd buy a new 08, but if it is going to be redesigned in 09 I may wait a year. Thanks!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I've heard nothing about a 4Runner replacement, so I doubt it will be replaced in 2009.
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    I believe 2010 will be the year for the redesign. I read several articles on it and it makes sense. It was 7 years from 96 to 2003 for a redesign so 2010 looks to be the year it gets changed. Rumor has it is that it will also take on the size of the current Sequoia, but that's only a rumor. Hope this helps.Here is a link that gives information on upcoming revisions of models for Toyota: (from autoweek)

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070822/FREE/70820009&Search- ID=73291264795157

Hope this helps!! :)
  • dkrazydingodkrazydingo Member Posts: 5
    First of all I have a 2000 4Runner 3.4lt engine v6.

Secondly, everytime I go to refuel, the gas pump stops pumping short of 2-3 gallons. If I wanted to maximize my fuel tank capacity (for long trips), I would have to constantly squeeze the lever on the gas pump for at least 5 minutes (very annoying). I've used different gas stations and went as far as to checking the vent system of the gas hose and still nothing.

Finally, I'm getting real poor gas mileage. I've checked spark plugs, had the oil and air filter changed and tire pressure checked. I'm currently in the process of putting fuel cleaner in the tank.

By the way, a couple of months ago, on the way back for a trip. I was driving through the desert and stopped off at a gas station to get some drinks. After a few minutes have passed by, a couple of guys walked in and said that they saw a 4Runner spill alot of fluid. I didn't think anything of it, but later on while I was driving, I noticed that I was missing about a quarter tank of gas. I thought I would mention this fact because the poor fuel issue started right after this happened.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I can do to solve both problems?
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    Does anyone have them on their 4Runner. What do you think of them? How many miles? Would you get them again?
  • kgn2kgn2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 Sport Edition V8 Toyota 4Runner some months ago but never had the opportunity to test its offroad features like the Downhill and Hill Start Assist Controls. I live in Illinois which is relatively flat. Any suggestions of suitable steep hilly terrain near Illinois anyone?
  • rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    ABOUT 50K AND YES I WOULD BUY AGAIN--THEY ARE VERY QUITE
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I did buy them! They were put on on Oct. 3. So far I really like them, smooth ride, good in the rain (we finally got some last week). They are a good looking tire, more agressive than what I used to have, but I really do like them.
  • stever7stever7 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently working on buying a 2002 4Runner Badlands Edition (the standard 3.4L, V6, 4WD) but the question I have is what is so special about the badlands edition vs the SR5 or Limited?

Any help would be appreciated as my buying the vehicle depends on answers to the above question, otherwise I can stick to looking for the SR5 or Limited models.

Thank you.
  • dkrazydingodkrazydingo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 4Runner V6 and I'm having problems refueling. Everytime I go to refuel, the gas pump stops short of a couple of gallons. I've tried using different gas stations and even went as far as removing the vent system to see if there was any blockage. Of course there was none! So I'm left still wondering what the heck. Does anyone have this problem? Can anyone help?
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I've called the dealer about the similar issue. They've basically told me to set the pump speed on low (don't pull the lever all the way up). It takes longer to fill up, but that seems to take care of the problem. Try that and see if it helps.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I had the Bridgestones on my 2001 vehicle....and got rid of them around 7500 miles. I swore from that point on that I would not buy Bridgestones. I take care of all of my tires, but these did not last very long. They were losing grips after 3000 miles.
    For my 2003 4-runner, I insisted no Bridgestones. The dealer had Dunlops, and these tires were great. They lasted until 42k. I now have Michelin Crossterrains on the 03. These tires have over 54k on them and they look and drive like new.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Has anyone with the 4th generation 4-runner, and a V8, installed a Borla exhaust system? If so, is it worth the extra money?
    It will be louder. There will probably be no measurable change in performance or economy. Surely would not be worth it to me. YMMV.
  • stever7stever7 Member Posts: 2
    Hey,
    I'm thinking of installing an K&N Short RAM Intake, anyone has success / failure stories if this kind of a mod really works as marketed?
  • lw62lw62 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 automatic 4 runner began to skip/shudder at speeds between 50-65 and stopped once i hit 70mp.

Had to drive a distance to get home and now check engine light is on. I have recently used the 4WD in snow.

anyone had similar experiences?
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Apparently there is a SC available for the FJ Cruiser V6 but not for the 4R V6. I wonder why that is and if anyone knows if and when a TRD SC will be available for the 4R V6.
    I have an 07 4wd V6 and am towing a box trailer of about 3500 GVW and could use a little more power. However, I am pleased with the non-towing mlileage I'm getting which is 18-19 around town and 21-22 at 70 mph. 10K on the truck so far and am very pleased, especially in the snow here in Chicago.
    Happy New Year!
  • summerfield1summerfield1 Member Posts: 2
    I now this is an old message, but I'm haviing the same problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The belt squeaks bad. I've replaced the idler arm and pulley, the alternater, the power steering pulling, and 3 belts. The squeak will stop after I replaced those items, but only for a few hundred miles. The squeak always comes back! Frusterating!
  • rpierce3rpierce3 Member Posts: 5
    You might also try pulling out the pump nozzle a bit while fueling. Instead of putting the nozzle all the way in to the tank, only put it in an inch or two. That has helped for me. Also, pumping on a slower speed.
  • bandit10bandit10 Member Posts: 28
    I just read your experience on how you fuel your car. Exactly what does it do by not putting the nozzle all the way in, and pumping at a lower rate of speed.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Anyone besides me have lifter noise? It's annoying, but according to the dealer it doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle. No engine codes, idle steady, doesn't burn oil, but it sounds like a miss. Needless to say I'll be unloading my 4Runner when the x-warranty expires.
  • oclocl Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I am from Brazil.
    I would like to now if is possible to import to Brazil from USA 3 tires Bridgestone DUELER H/T 689. i just got the that price is $120,00 . I need 3 tires.
    Here in Brazil these kind of tires are so expensive.
    Including all tax do you now if is possible import.
    Wait for your answer.
    Thanks
    Oswaldo
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone know if a center console from a 2000 T4R will fit in a 1997 T4R without being a PIA? Thanks for the help.
  • rubellarubella Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if replacing od solinoid a TPS could stop constant shuddering and vibration on shift into overdrive..... shifts well up through gears untill going into OD
  • juanedwardoruijuanedwardorui Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1994 4runner and when I drive it for about an hour, it gets very hot in the cabin. I recently changed the transmission oil in it and the filter also. Is there by any chance some sort of protection between the transmission and the body of the truck? what can cause this heat?

Thanks.

Big John
    Houston Texas.
  • reb66reb66 Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday my knee hit the 4WD button and I have not been able to get my 4Runner out of it since. I have stopped, shifted, reversed, done everything I can think of. The light is flashing.... four green wheels and the orange center circle. So I took it to the dealer. She was there for 4 hours and then they gave her back to me still in 4WD with the light flashing. They don't know what it is or why it is. They could not disengage the 4WD. Has this happened to anyone? The dealer can see me again on Tuesday (it is Thursday now) but I am not sure I trust them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    Folks,

I noticed that Edmunds shows the 2009 4Runner 4.7L V8 as 260 HP. But the 2009 Sequia 4.7L V8 as 310 HP.

Does anyone know:
    -why the 4Runner didn't get teh 310 HP version also?
    -what is the actual difference (maybe just the control chip programming?)?

For me there's no such thing as too much power and I find it disappointing that they didn't give the 4Runner the 310 HP version also.

What do others think?
  • toiyabe10toiyabe10 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, so it's five years after the posting about the cracked windshield. I have an 03 Sport Ed. Your description of the crack in your windshield describes mine perfectly. I think I heard the initial pop, then a couple days later it came up, eventually took a left, went over horizontal about 10 inches, and has stayed that way for about a month.
    "I noticed that Edmunds shows the 2009 4Runner 4.7L V8 as 260 HP. But the 2009 Sequia 4.7L V8 as 310 HP. "
    That's a different (and newer) engine. The 2009 Sequoia has a 4.6l, not a 4.7l V8.

The 4Runner V8 was selling poorly and was in the last year of its run before the next generation, so I'm sure that Toyota felt it was not worth the money to spend on the engineering. The 2010, 5th generation 4Runner will not have a V8 option.
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    My 03 V8 4Runner has a similar problem except with getting in/out of locking the center differential. It's stuck unlocked, which is good since it's still OK to drive on pavement.

When I hit the differential lock button I get the flashing light indicating that it it didn't lock. Both shifting between low range and high range as well as locking/unlocking the center differential are both controlled from actuators (motors) that are in a sub-assembly that hangs off the back of the transfer case. There are also limit switches in the transfer case that provide feedback to the controller as to whether the shift actually happened. That's how the controller knows to display the flashing light.

The problem could be any of the following:
    -Failure in the controller
    -Failure in the wiring
    -Failure of the actuator motor

The dealer should be able to unplug the electrical connector to the transfer case and check the impedance of the actuator motor. If it's "open" then the motor is blown.

Checking continuity in the wires should be easy for the dealership as well.

Then there's the controller. On mine I verified that it wasn't the controller by probing the voltage of the motor terminals from the 4WD controller. That's located under the glove compartment.

In my case the problem appears to be that the motor is blown.

But that's unfortunate for me because the part is about $1100 and the transfer case has to be taken off and ripped apart to replace it, which is about $1000 in labor. So it's over $2000 for a little motor that failed!

But I can get an entire transfer case complete with the actuator assy for about $500 off my choice totaled 4Runner with ~15k miles (via the internet) so I might just get one and pay someone to swap it onto my 4Runner.

Your dealer sounds incompetent if they can't figure it out. But I'm pretty suspect of what you get for your money from most dealers now-a-days. From what you've told me my advice would be to take it somewhere else.

I hope you didn't get charged for anything though. Maybe that dealership has a better mechanic who could be more effective.
  • toyota57toyota57 Member Posts: 1
    my blower on my 90 4 runner only works on the first 2 speeds. Is it the switch or the blower motor? If its the blower where is that located at?
  • retiredmanretiredman Member Posts: 1
    Someone must have used some stop leak chemical in the runner before I bought it. I think we changed the thermostat, radiator, cap, and water pump, ouch, but still lousy heat. Flushing helps very little. What have I neglected, oh, checked the control on the firewall, seems to function OK, but the flow of coolant is terrible - just piddles out until I shut the engine off, then it gushes. If I must change the heater core, where can I get one without breaking the bank? And, can you swap it out without taking the whole dash apart?
  • txjeauxtxjeaux Member Posts: 1
    I know this is 9 years later, but I sure hope you found a fix for your problem, We have a '94 4runner with the same problem, Can you please tell me what the magic fix was?
    Thank you
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    W O W!!!
  • mkbrown87mkbrown87 Member Posts: 15
    We are interested in purchasing a 2008 or 2009 4Runner, and want the V6 and 2wd. Most are therefore SR5 or Sport. Few have power seats. Is it possible to retrofit one with a power drivers seat? We have our eyes on a 2009 and that is the only drawback. Please reply if you know feasibility and, if so, how to go about it. Thanks. Mark
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new Honda or Toyota within the last two months. Specifically, he’s most interested in speaking with someone who intentionally held off on buying one of these vehicles last year because the dealer did not have it in stock. If you meet this criteria, please send a brief description of your experience and your contact info to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012.
  • ghthornghthorn Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2012 Camry and I have the problem with the air conditioner
    stink. I have had it to the dealer three different times and Toyota says there is not a fix for this problem.
    $30,000 for an automobile that stinks? there has to be a fix for this problem they just don't want to fix it. did the lemon law work for you? I would like to try that also but the language in the florida lemon law is a little confusing to me.
    George Thornton
    Toyota is tweeting pics of the 2014 4Runner today.