Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Honda Pilot Engine 25,000 km Dealer Damaged

yyc_06pilotyyc_06pilot Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Honda
My Honda Pilot with 25,000 kms was damaged by the dealer when changing a timing belt underwarranty that they claimed I needed. The engine was hand turned and started without it being timed. The dealer will only replace 6 intake valves (no grinding or lapping). Does this sound like an adequate fix? Will I have engine problems down the road?

Comments

• trmend1trmend1 Member Posts: 59
    It may or may not be. My advice would be to have your vehicle inspected by at least 2 other independant mechanics, one of them being another Honda Dealership. Just inform the others of the situation, but not the details on what happened. This way you will hopefully get the most honest appraisal for repairs and potential long term issues. Have these appraisals and opinions in writing. This way you will have a better picture of what action you want to take.

On a personal note I would be hopping furious!! Hand turning a 06 Pilot is MUCH different that an 65 Galaxy! My answer... the dealership just bought a used 06 Pilot, at the blue book value, before the damage. The likelihood of that happening would be slim, unless you are willing to make a major stink!

Sorry you have to go through this... good luck!

Cheers,
    Tess
  • pajohnppajohnp Member Posts: 1
    had a small engine knocking, took it to honda dealer, could not find problem, said they would have to tear apart engine to find problem, minimum cost of $2000. only have 54,000 miles (2003)has anyone else had same problem.
  • honhon Member Posts: 34
    Yes! Sounds like the timing belt. If you don't get it fix you will end up like the guy whom posted just before you. My 05 did the same as yours but it was still under warranty. If that's what's wrong with yours, it will get worst. Taking the motor apart is the only way to find out. If you let it go, it could cost you the price of a new motor. It seems to happen to alot to all year models of Pilots.
  • bubbagusbubbagus Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 model and get terrible gas mileage. The 17-21 EPA sticker was misleading. I would like other 2005 and later owners to let me know what they get in the city. I get 12-15 around Atlanta-Roswell area. The best I have got on the highway is 19 at 75-80MPH. Per Honda it is the way I drive which I know is a factor. They tested my Pilot and reported 30MPG but drove 50 miles on GA400 at 55MPH. They claim law and insurance would not allow they to drive the normal traffic speed of 70-80 that most people drive on GA400.
    Does anyone have any real world knowledge or experience about running a 2005 model with higher levels of ethanol. I want to experiment with 25, 50 and 75% mixtures. I know Honda says no but I have little faith because they must quote the company line.
    Does anyone have any experience with reprogramming a 2005 or later model to improve gas mileage. The Pilot has 265 HP which is more than it needed for normal driving. If the HP and torque can be reduced, the acceleration and pulling capacity will be sacrificed but the gas mileage should be reduced.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Highway EPA was not rated on 75 - 80 MPH. What is the MIN/MAX speed limit on GA400?
    You can try 100 miles distance one way on 50MPH, 60MPH or 70 MPH ... to see the result of MPG ... I think 80 MPH is over the speed limit.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Why not drive a CRV with less HP/torque and better MPG thus save all these programming?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would like other 2005 and later owners to let me know what they get in the city.

You can find out what kind of mileage others are getting in Honda Pilot Real World MPG.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bryan32bryan32 Member Posts: 1
    my 05 pilot with 70k developed a engine knock rather quickley. it sounds like a rod bearing but if you rev it up a little it goes away. the car runs great. anybody delt with anything like this?
This discussion has been closed.