Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Strange Rust

mj72mj72 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Ford
I have a 2004 Escape 4x2.
The last month or so, I have noticed fine rust marks that appear inside the paint itself, when rubbed aggressively they dull but to not disappear. These rust marks/stains appear mostly towards the rear of the vehicle, alot is on the rear hatch.
There is no penetration or scratches that would warrant this kind of thing.
We regularly wash and wax the vehicle and take good care of it. I am starting to get quite worried that this could turn into something ugly and expensive.
Has anyone every seen this "rust on top of paint" problem??

Thanks,
m

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try using a clay bar to rule out "rail dust."

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1161b8/82

The Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair may help with ideas too.
  • jules73jules73 Member Posts: 1
    We have an '08 Escape with a very similar paint issue - or at least it sounds like it. I took it to the dealership last week for an oil change and I spoke with the Body Shop manager. He took a look at what I thought was 'rust' and he was dumb founded. Had never seen anything like it before. I've only had the vehicle since late last August so it's just over a year old and should NOT be rusting. For goodness sakes, my husband's '97 Dodge Ram doesn't have rust on it! Anyway, he told me to come back today so he could take a better look at it. As it turns out, the paint is contaminated - something happened between the paint and the clear coat. He said they had magnifying glasses and special lights all over the vehicle and these spots are everywhere. Some are small, some are big and some haven't even appeared yet. We're just waiting for Ford to give the approval to go ahead and fix this problem - which means stripping it right down, sealing it, painting it and then putting the clear coat on again.
    Our marks were originally noticed when my husband was washing it and he thought they were just on the doors but they're all over it. Even our back window? How does THAT happen???
    I can't win the lottery but I can buy the only Escape with this paint issue when there are thousands of them on the road! lol
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    if this is a 1 and done post. spots under the paint, but on top of the rear glass, ok.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's why I keep thinking rail dust. That stuff is sharp and winds up embedded in the paint. Some say it can get lodged in the glass but I'm thinking stuff can also just get in the tiny scratches you can't see with your eyes. Or maybe it's some other kind of fall-out or over spray.

I've cleaned my windshield and glass with clay bars before and they feel smoother - not sure if they are easier to see out of after that.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    for some reason this forum(escape) seems to attract someone who posts about a problem once, then never again.
    years ago, vehicles parked in in the lot of our new building used to get hard brown spots on them (think half of an m&m). it turned out to be something that came out of the mulch in the islands between the parking aisles.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
This discussion has been closed.