Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Misfire from the fuel injectors

alan20230alan20230 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2004 Lincoln LS with two dead cylinders. The first and second on the right side. I found that I am not getting a signal sent to those injectors. It sends one signal then a very long pause the two signals back to back with another long pause. I tested this with an LED light. All the other injectors are working great. The positive wire test full voltage. I am guess I have a module going out. I am not sure where to find the sender for the fuel injectors and I am hoping it is not in the PCM.

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Are you getting a CEL? The COPs typically fail - never heard of the problem you describe. Is it possible the PCM knows the COPS are not working and shut off the injectors?
  • alan20230alan20230 Member Posts: 2
    akitby thanks for replying. I thought about the COPs and move them around still same problem. also moved plugs. I am not sure what CEL stands for.
    I do get a code but the scan tool will not communicate with the PCM. So I don't know what the code is.
    CEL = Check Engine Light. If you threw a code then you must have had a CEL. Autozone will read the codes for free.
  • pman9pman9 Member Posts: 5
    Coil when bad and I only drove 100+ miles and computer is now saying my converter is bad. Ever heard this before? Car has always been well taken care of etc so not sure why this would happen
    Of course. That's why the owner's manual tells you not to drive when the CEL is flashing because a misfire can send unburned fuel into the exhaust which can damage the cats. 100 miles is way too long to drive with a misfire.
    That would be true if it was misfiring but it wasn't. It had a rough idle when sitting still. My buddy of mine (head tech @ Lincol) said he couldn't believe that it would have gone so fast. After all said and done I've fixed all but the converter and still get the same MPH as if nothing were wrong. He said it should have cleared up after a tank or two.
    If you had a bad coil and a rough idle - that's a misfire. What else would it be?
    That was my fisrt thought as well. It was just building up enough fuel on that 1 plug but not enough to misfire. in that 100 miles my MPG was cut in half. If your engine misfires the engine light will blink and during this time it tries to correct itself. Most Lincolns have somewhat of a self cleaning injector. The engine light can be on and it no 24/7 but it will blink during a misfire.
    Thx
    It still points to some type of combustion problem and that can easily damage the cats. Are you saying the CEL was on but not flashing or it never came on?
  • vinny22vinny22 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    i have a 1999 chevy blazer ive changed out distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs wires and fuel pressure regulator all that got rid of the miss. Now it gets up 30-60 and starts to tug. What can it be?
This discussion has been closed.