Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

naoredson1naoredson1 Member Posts: 3
i bought my jeep used two months ago and it has 37000 miles on it. recently, but not consistently all the gauges quit working when you start the vehicle. if i disconnect the battery the problem is fixed until the next time which could be a couple of hours to days later. if anyone has any answers please let me know before i burn it to the ground.........

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    the first thing i ask is if the battery has been changed because jeeps realy don't liky any flucuations in voltage if bat is one to two years old change it nothing lost as if it don't fix prob will cost a lot more to find but batt change will fix in about 75 percent of time
  • paulmikpaulmik Member Posts: 4
    I changed the battery in my 2004 Grand Cherokee and to keep the clock on time and other things from happening, I connected another battery to the battery leads when I removed the dying battery. Installation seemed to go perfectly, but when I drove the vehicle two problems, that were not present before, were manifested:

1) Cruise Control light appears on dash when I press the on button, but it will not engage.
    2) Mode control (recirculation, floor, floor/vent, vent, defrost, etc.) does not work but the fan does - all heating or air conditioning comes out of the windshield defrost louver.

I checked the fuses in the cab and under the hood, all tested OK.
  • andyman74andyman74 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 05' Cherokee at the stealer 5 times this month all for the same electrical issues. While driving my headlights shift back and forth from high to low, tach and speedo needles bounce up & down, air bag light come on and dings at me, stereo shuts off and come back on, and the heated seat shuts off. This probem has been intermittent for over a month. The dealer so far replaced a control module in the steering column, the stereo, the ignition switch, the Heater / AC control block, and now today the instrument cluster.
    I'm going to pick the Jeep up today and if it still doesn't work I'm gonna SCREAM!! Anyone have an Idea as to what could cause all these problems? It seams the dealer is trying to solve each individual problem instead of looking at one cause for all the problems. It has 34,500 miles on it and I'm afraid if this happends again outside the warranty I'm screwed. Also, do I have any legal action I can take to protect me from getting screwed later...ie Magnusson- Moss Warranty Act?? or will they extend my warranty??

Thanks,
  • lunghdlunghd Member Posts: 61
    If you have those crappy aftermarket clamp on battery terminals... replace the cables.

To all: Jeep Cherokees & Grand Cherokees are very prone to crappy cable grounds & such can cause all kinds of intermittent wierdness. The rear ground strap from the head to the firewall (driver side) is often broken / left off after service work that might involve getting the motor / head out (or CPS replacement if the mechanic doesn't know the tricks for replacing that).

Battery to ground cable - check it! Positive cable harness - check it! Ground cable mentioned above - check it!

Another thing to check are sensor harness connections - especially on the early / mid-90's models. The get oxidized / corroded and voltages get spotty especially when they get some moisture in them.

Most auto parts stores carry generic, pre-made cables in a variety of lengths. When swapping them out, always opt for a larger gage wire as this was another area the factory saved .01 cents per 10 zillion Jeeps. (Larger gage wire will carry the cranking load with less resistance meaning your battery / charging & starting system will work a little easier.)
    Most of the Jeep charging / starting issues are caused by the crappy ground points & corrosion / oxidation. A new battery might be needed but check the cables first.

To all: Don't use those crappy clamp on battery terminal clamps! They are an corrosion magnet & I've seen more than one that would cause a vehicle to not even start - mimicking a bad battery.
    Has this vehicle been in an accident? Or had major service requiring removal of dashboard or engine? Straight drive that has had a failed clutch master cylinder which leaked fluid down firewall (both in engine bay or under dash)?

Check the gigantihumungous connector that carries the wiring harness through the firewall. Sounds like it is loose & not making full connection. Almost every circuit you list runs through it directly and the others could be affected by intermittent voltage.

Long shot maybe - but if it's loose, it's a simple fix. (One screw on my much, much older Jeep.)
    No, it has never been in an accident. So far after two days of use its been working. The last thing the stealer replaced before giving it back to me was the instrument cluster. Who would have guessed huh? Time will tell though. Now I've only got 1300 miles left of my warranty before the real worry starts. Any one have any success getting Chrysler to extend their warranty? I'd feel better if I had another year on this. I can't believe they won't warranty all this work beyond the 3yr -36000
  • naoredson1naoredson1 Member Posts: 3
    i took it to a shop and had them run a diagnostic test on it. they came up with the ecm and cluster werent communicating correctly and caused the problems. so they reset the code and for now the comp and cluster seem to working properly. its a fix for now but will update later if anything changes.
    Well, I almost made it a week with out any problems. It seems the instrument cluster wasn't the problem either. The tach & speedo started bouncing up n' down again tonight. Damn It!! Maybe the sixth time to the dealer in a month will be the magic number.....yeah right.
  • naoredson1naoredson1 Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know what the diagnostic trouble code (dtc report) U110A and U1411 are?
  • matt4635matt4635 Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep has some sort of electrical problem I think. When every you turn the wheel the dome lights come on and it says the left rear passenger door is open when it's not. It seems that it only happens when it rains. Now the alarm goes off since it thinks the door is opened. What could be the problem? Help!!!!!
  • rstrackrstrack Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I own a 1996 jeep cherokee, 6 cyl. with about 1500000 miles. I unfortunately, am living in Mexco. Recently, after running without problems, I went to start my car only to find both the gas and battery gauges on zero with the key in the on position, and no ignition spark. Everything was fine earlier in the day. I have half a tank of gas and my battery was fine. My headliner has been coming loose, and I've been sticking cardboard between the headliner and overhead console. Aside from that, I have no clue. I wish I had an electrical diagram.
  • rstrackrstrack Member Posts: 2
    I'm sorry. In addition, all the fuses are good and I've tried swapping relays to no avail. I've also checked the wiring in the ignition switch and everything looks good. There is a lot of dirt and junk where a wiring cluster passes through the firewall on the drivers side. All other wiring and connectors look good.
  • mrduck53mrduck53 Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT A 96 GRAND CHEROKEE AND THIS THING SEEMS TO HAVE A VERY SERIOUS ELECTRICAL PROBLEM. THIS THING CUTS OFF IN THE
    MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY ALL THE TIME. I'VE TAKEN IT TO A HOST OF
    FOLKS INCLUDING THE DEALER AND EVEN THEY CANN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT
    THE PROBLEM. IT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE PIGTAIL THAT'S COMING OUT THE BACK END OF THE COIL. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • morrest1101morrest1101 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Matt. I was wondering if you figured out what the problem with your jeep was. Ours is doing a similar thing. Our windows started not working at times, and now completley wont work, as well as our automatic seat button and the locks. The dome lights are on all the time while driving. And the other night at 1am, the headlights started turning on and off all by themselves. If you've heard anything, I'd greatly appreciate if you could pass it along! Thanks!
  • jon51jon51 Member Posts: 1
    Interesting. I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee and yesterday at 80 MPH the thing just died in the number one lane of I-5 in San Diego County. The speedo went to zero, panel lights off, etc. After muscling it to the shoulder of the road, tried to restart and no way Jose. Towed the thing to my driveway where it awaits some help. Once I get itm I'll send you the result. If you get yours fixed first, please let me know what you did. Jon
    do any of your lights work?

when i have a electrical prob the first thing i do is install a new battery if it is older than a year.

bad cell in batt could cause it to stop as jeeps are sticklers for the right batt volts as computers dont like flucuations
  • jra173jra173 Member Posts: 2
    My Grand Cherokee was sitting in the driveway, keys in the house. I looked outside and noticed that the headlights were flashing on and off and the hazards as well. I went outside and when I opened the door it was dinging as if my keys were in the ignition. The battery ended up being dead, but started up again with a charge. Would this have anything to do with the lights being on auto? If anyone has any information, it would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

-Jeff
    sounds as if you panick button on key fob was pushed or the body control computer ground is bad
  • benlowfnbenlowfn Member Posts: 1
    MY JGC WON'T START I GET CODE 11 WHICH IS NO DISTRIBUTOR REFRENCE SIGNAL DETECTED DURING ENGINE CRANKING.I CHANGED BATTERY CHECKED CABLES CHANGED CAM SENSOR.NOW WHAT?I'M GETTING FUEL. :lemon:
    Hey Matt... I responded once, and this is what I found out since...

The problem: windows, locks, mirrors and auto seat button not working... dome ligths on all the time when I drive... headlights turn on and off when keys are NOT in the ignition and when NOBODY is around.

It's not my battery, it's only 2 months old.

The solution??: After talking to my mechanic it turns out the switch (that controls windows and locks inside the driver door) is not communicating with the body control module. The switch is $202.00 and the BCM is $725.00 brand new + labor. I searched ebay with no luck and finally 40 junk yard calls later I found the switch for $35.00 and the BCM for $150.00. I was also doing some more research on line and someone stated that they changed the BCM first and it didn't do anything, and then they put in a new switch and it worked. Since it's signifigantly cheaper, I will be trying the switch first. I will be getting the switch tomorrow and after I get it on, I'll send another message. But I hope this helps!!
    ~Amanda
  • jra173jra173 Member Posts: 2
    Don't think it's the panic button because when I open the door, it sounds like the ignition is on and the dash lights are on. Anyone know where the body control computer ground is or where I could see a wiring diagram?
    possably be the ingniton switch as that is full of contacks could have bad contack inside it
  • anner0220anner0220 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a solution? I've had this problem for 11 months.. the same lights flickering, seems like the car shuts off but it's not... all guages shut off... and come back on... The dealership blew me off when it was under factory warranty, and now.. blamed corrossion on my battery able- and insisted that the diagnostic revealed a faulty wiring harness. now over $600 later and only 2 weeks since that repair.. AGAIN!! lights flicker, guages off and on.... this is so scary when driving at night... the dealership doesn't care.. and acts like it's my fault.. or that I am SOL.. because it's electrical and are "impossible" to diagnois..

CAN ANYONE HELP???

Thanks,
    Anne :lemon:
    Mine has ben flakely for 4 months now with countless trips to the dealer. They have determined that they can't fix the problem because they can't find it. I'll keep you posted as they are considering buying it back fro me.
  • snapierkowskisnapierkowski Member Posts: 1
    i bought a new flasher for my 2000 jeep grand cherokee but cannot find where to plug it in. i was told its either under the hood or by the fuses under the dash.
  • king_wrecksking_wrecks Member Posts: 3
    Hello, my girlfriend's '05 Jeep Grand is doing the exact same thing minus the headlights (fingers crossed). Have you received any answers to your problem? The dealer is going to look at it tomorrow and I wondered if it might be something I could fix myself.
    I'm not ready to fix a wiring harness, though. Did you try the battery? If so, did it work?
    located on the left end of insternent cluster (don't look like a reg flasher looks like a relay second from the left on the junction block top row
  • anner0220anner0220 Member Posts: 2
    The dealership called into Chrylser Engineers to get advice and were told to replace the " Multifunctionswitch" it's basically the headliths/windshield wiper "bar" that comes out of the steering column. I complained enough that the dealership did that repair for free. It's only a $70+ dollare part.. it's been a few weeks and ALL SEEMS GOOD....
    Have them check that switch... the wiring harness is bull!! Nothing was wrong with mine... don't believe them if they tell you that... I'm 90% sure for you it's going to be the multifunction switch...
    Hi, yes my jeep is fixed. I've been so crazy I forgot to post it. The problem with our jeep was the dome lights were on all the time (with out keys being in the ignition), headlights blinking when jeep is not running or w/o keys in the ignigtion, windows, locks, and power seat button not working. My parents neighbor actually fixed. It was showing on the computer that the BCM was not communicating with the switch. Total prices for both parts was around $1000.00 plus labor. My parents neighbor was trying to pull of a portion of the door panel off, and couldn't get it. The more we discussed it he said it sounded like a lose wire. So when you open the driver door (on our case at least) between the side of the door closest to the steering wheel and the side of the jeep is a black foamy like cover, he slid it to the side to see the wires and all it was was a split wire. We sautered it back together and it's been fine ever since, for almost a month now! I hope this helps, but I'm so thankful we didn't spend the grand to get it fixed, because it still wouldn't have worked. FIXING THIS ONE SINGLE WIRE, FIXED ALL OF THE ISSUES!!!!!!
    I HOPE THIS HELPS... GOOD LUCK :]
    Wow, that's great. We don't really experience all those problems except for the gauges. Occasionally we'll be driving down the street listening to the radio and it will skip to another station, or, if we're listening to a CD it will change from disc 1, song 12 to disc 4, song 6. This has really confused me. I'm ready to pull my hair out as I'm sure you were...ANY advice would help...
    I would def. check your wires because this all didn't just happen on one day. It happened over about a month long process... the windows were working on occasion, or on the overhead computer (whatever you call it) was stating that the back hatch was open, when it really wasn't. Then the windows and locks would only work with the driver door open (because that's when the wires would touch). So, considering how easy and cheap this was to fix, I would highly suggest that you start there. You said that you aren't having all of the same problems, but with the radio acting the way it is, it could be a different wire in the door... there are a ton in there, and they all do different things, so it's a high possibility!! Somehow it got kinked and they slowly over time we started noticing different things not working, but that's because the wire was getting thinner, and thinner and thinner!!
  • eviljeeptsieviljeeptsi Member Posts: 3
    The run down:
    1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI V-8 4X4
    The jeep runs great at all speeds, as well as the transmission. It is pretty much sound mechanically. But electrical y it is evil.
    The dash gauges do not work. The interior Lights will not go off. The power windows will not work on any door. I had to remove the interior light fuse just to get them to turn off. When you put the fuse back in, the relay clicks repeatedly, then seems to quickly drain the battery. It SEEMS that as long as the fuse is out the battery stays charged.
    The radio and fan both work. The power seats work as well. The information center on the upper console and the larger display information center that has a digital picture of the jeep located near the shifter both light up, but display no information (outside temp, compass, etc.), just hyphens. The bottom info center that has a picture of the jeep will not show that a door is ajar when it is.
    I have checked all fuses and circuit breakers, but all are good.
    I have taken it to two shops that gave up and told me to come pick it up (I figure because they did not want to mess with it). The third shop I took it to told me that the BCM would not communicate. And that I would have to buy a new BCM at the dealership and have the dealership program it to my jeep. I took it to the dealership and had the new BCM installed. They told me that it made no difference and that it was still not communicating. Why would a new BCM not even communicate? The problem must be before the BCM.
    The dealership said that they will not do anymore diagnostics on it because it has been gone through by too many other shops. All wires that have been messed with are still in-tact though. I am to the point to where I am willing to dismantle the dash and dig in. But if I could get some ideas on how to go about this, I would be very grateful.
    Please note that the lights behind the gauges do work just not the needles themselves.
    So after over $1000 of spending I still have the same Jeep I did at the start of all this. I cannot take it to anymore shops as I will probably end up spending all together, more than the Jeep is worth.
    Could this be an ECM/PCM issue?
  • craze4daisiescraze4daisies Member Posts: 1
    My windows have started to periodically not work. My sunroof works fine. Also the power locks which are programmed to auto lock (at 15 mph) & unlock (when drivers door is opened) only work with the manual button on the door (just started that today). Has anyone else had this exact problem and if so, where you able to fix it??
  • jcarey1jcarey1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 4x4 Grand Cherokee Laredo and am having a problem starting. It only occurs from time to time. When I turn the key it clicks and all the gauges bounce back and forth and continue to bounce even after the key is removed. If I keep trying it will eventually start. The first time it happened I pressed the brake and the gauges registered normal and it started. This morning the gauges started bouncing again then it finally started but now the gauges are dead.
  • ratt454ssratt454ss Member Posts: 2
    Did you find a cure for the evil demon? I have a 1999 jeep Gran Cherokee with the same symptoms and am pulling out my hair. Nothing I have done mitigates this problem and like you no shop has been able to diagnose the problem. I'm ready to give it away.
    i would try and change the ingnition switch
    The dealership told my girlfriend that the radio was skipping because a "stuck seek button". I know that can't be the problem because it skips randomly when playing a CD. The check engine light went after changing out the O2 sensor and adding a new air filter. The spark plugs have since been changed and so-far so-good (knock on wood).

I think the problem with the radio lies in the steering wheel as it has controls on the back of the pillars. The buttons seem like they've been mashed beyond function and don't work when pressed.

As for the gauges, I would *GUESS* there is either an electrical short somewhere throughout the vehicle, or the ignition is bad. I would look for articles or posts on that problem elsewhere. Also, if you can find a Haynes' Manual for you Jeep, I would. I will as soon as I finish this post...Good Luck!
    Nope, note yet. I know what you mean when you say you are ready to give it away. I would, but its so hard to when it runs so good. I just picked it up from the dealership yesterday with no leads from them. I did get some good leads from other forums. I have been told that my BCM must not be getting power. Being that it is new, it must note being getting power since it is not communicating.

I have been given a list of wires and areas to check that would most likely be the problem for the power outage. So as soon as it quites raining I will be digging in.

I will let you know if I fix it.
  • mustanggt_91mustanggt_91 Member Posts: 2
    i hope u have fixed this problem by now. your problem should be under the battery tray there is a vacuum line thta has a hole in it. seen to many like this.
  • mustanggt_91mustanggt_91 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 200 jeep grand cherokee that has gone nuts. first the pcm went bad and we fixed that with no problem. but now everything is nuts. I can't communicate with bcm, windows don't work from any door, overhead console won't display numbers at all, a/c will not turn on, instrument cluster goes crazy every now and then, and sometimes vehicle dies as if you just turned it off. it always restarts but will eventually do it again. any ideas anyone.
  • genekmahgenekmah Member Posts: 1
    I have traced the wiring harness with a fault finder from the condenser to the fuse block with no shorts detected. I have also replaced the TSP and crankshaft sensor. It mostly happens when it's hot outside (above 80). I can't get it to replicate all the time, but when it happens, I can consistently get it to die when I turn on the AC or defrost. Won't stall the engine with the blower on by itself. Changed the relays and checked fuses and it still stalls. I think it's narrowed down to the AC (automatic climate control) head unit or the PCM. Any ideas?
  • jhustonjhuston Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee that i bought new. It now has 108k miles on it and i have wanted to trade it off for something else but my wife likes the thing. I am tired of working on it! it all started with the power steering system that i pretty much replaced all parts, and then the window regulators. A couple of months ago the windows quit working. I thought maybe i did something when i put in the new regulator in the drivers door, but couldnt find anything. Then the AC quit working, the overhead computer quit working and the lights did funny things. I searched here online and found one posting where someone found a bad wire in the drivers door and tore back into it. Where the wires go through the rubber boot from the drivers door to the door jamb, i found THREE SPLICED WIRES!!! This vehicle has only been worked on or serviced by myself and i know i have never pulled back the rubber boot. The wiring harness must have been spliced from the factory! I soldered in about two inches of new wire and heat shrinked the splices, unhooked the battery to reset the computer, and IT WORKED!!!! I could have spent thousands on diagnostics in a shop and they may never have found the problem!!! I suppose it just took a dumb farmer to find a problem that was built into the vehicle at the factory. This is our second Grand Cherokee and i can honestly say there will not be a third. Good luck
    That is weird. I noticed several factory spliced wires in the door and under the dash. But they looked like they were still tight though. But that may not be the case, they could be loose I guess. I will take those wires and add new wire to it.

Thanks for the tip, maybe this will help.

Oh yeah, and I hate jeeps now. I do love the 318 V-8 thats in it, so much power and wont get stuck anywhere. But I have had two jeeps now with these strange electrical problems. Sad to say, but I am done with Jeeps after this.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    :) Thanks to all for the input above:

All the panel warning lights were intermittently lighting up for a few seconds, then going back off. Thanks to what I've read here, it was easily fixed by cleaning the battery posts and cable terminals and tightening them down well. (2005 Grand Cherokee 3.7L) :shades:
  • gulfgirlgulfgirl Member Posts: 1
    In the last few weeks I have had several incidents of my jeep just turning off when I am in the middle of a turn. I have to put it in neutral, then turn the ignition and it just starts right back up. It has only done this while I am in the act of turning. Luckily it has only occurred when I have been slowing down - like turning into the garage or pulling into a drive thru lane. This issue started right after I had the dealership change out the battery (since I couldn't find the battery at any of the local part stores). Could it be possible that something happened during the battery installation that would cause this or is it just coincidence?
  • lilwen13lilwen13 Member Posts: 2
    MY SYMBOLS ON DASH LIGHTS UP AND WON'T GO OFF, ALSO AC NOT WORKING, AND WINDOWS WON'T COME DOWN. THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW THAT THE BATTERY POST NEEDED TO BE CLEAN, NOW EVERY THING WORKS. GOOD ADVICE. 2000 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • lilwen13lilwen13 Member Posts: 2
    IT WORK FOR A WHILE BUT STARTED BACK NOW I WILL TRY TO CHANGE BATTERY TERNIMALS IN SEE WHAT HAPPENS.GUAGES GONE WILD.
    have you tryed new battery? would try that first as jeeps like realy good battery volts
    when i have helped anyone with eletrical prob i have then change the battery on any of the newer cars as computers are real touchey on volts (you put a serge protector on your computer in your house to smoth out serges dont you) weak battery will charge in serges computer dont like that
  • c_farooqc_farooq Member Posts: 20
    hi mat

did you manage to fix your problem?

I am having similar problem on my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000yr. When you open or lock the car the hazardlights dont flash, once inside the lights dont turn off, the windows dont work, the memory seats dont work because it says the belt is on but its not, the belt light stays on.

if you could help me please let me know

thanks