Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• sadriftersadrifter Member Posts: 2
    I had this exact problem in my 1998 Grand Cherokee (5.2) and it was the ground wire on the transmission. I had taken it to multiple mechanics and they considered the TPS, the computer and nothing worked until I went to the best transmission mechanic in San Antonio and luck would have it he has seen it before and fixed it for all time by redoing the ground wire for the transmission. That ground wire is under the tranny and is subject to getting nicked or worn over time. In fact he put two ground wires on because I do take it off road in the Big Bend National Park here in Texas. Good luck.
  • gaj2888gaj2888 Member Posts: 5
    This message has mysteriously been popping up? The vehicle seems to be fine all guages seem to be working correctly and at the proper settings. Anyone have a clue?
  • pj43pj43 Member Posts: 9
    I would say you have a bad ground, have that checked w/A good tech.
  • macsrule43macsrule43 Member Posts: 2
    I will give it a shot. I will let you know what happens.
  • sadriftersadrifter Member Posts: 2
    Good luck, it sure worked for me .
  • mattd551mattd551 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep has lost its turn signals, heat and the instrument panel. It starts and runs fine but the instruments don't work and it is not giving me any codes when hooked up to a meter. I heard this is common and I disconnected and cleaned the battery terminal but it is still doing it. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks Matt.
  • jorsantia8jorsantia8 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    i have the same problem with my jeep i will like know if somebody share their experience with me i need to fix my jeep thank you george

i replaced fuel pump ,relay , check all wires , fuses ground ect.
  • edanddeb98edanddeb98 Member Posts: 3
    we found out how to fix it. you take the key to the passangert side door and turn it back and forth this will re set it i kow it souns stupid but it works we have to do it everytime it locks out
  • cathalynncathalynn Member Posts: 3
    have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, v6, 4.0l. In Janurary 2011 my children took my Jeep from mild weather conditions to snow. When they turned on the jeep the next morning it worked fine but when they stopped to eat and started back up these problems occured: 1. No gauges 2. No electric windows, power locks either. 3. No overhead console 4. No air conditioning...works but not cold. They brought it home and dropped it off. They next morning everything was fine. A couple of days later my battery was dead. I decided to purchase a new battery thinking this was the problem. A few days later traveling down the road all gauges quit. I found a place to pull over and just before they popped on again. A while later again they stopped. I was upset and jiggled the ignition back and forth...it started working. Then the new battery was dead. Charged it and it worked for a week. If left more then 2 days without starting the battery dies. So we checked the alternator, it was fine. So my next jiggle of the ignition didn't work..frustrated I opened the door and the gauges came up. I hired a electrical person to work on it. 1.Switches fine 2. Ignition shouldn't be the problem because the engine is not dieing. 3. He found that when the car is sitting without ignition on the front doors are drawing electric from the battery...a large amount..enough to make the battery die. When the battery is low opened right door (front passenger) shut clicking noise. Sat in the Jeep with the key off backglass heater light was lite up on the dash. Then it switched to the overdrive light, then back to the backglass light. So I decided to order a BCM which is what the electrical man said I need. Back order till May 2011. Questions: 1. Could this be ignition instead? 2. Could this be a door wire? 3. How about a wire in the tilt wheel? I haven't ask the kids if they moved it yet? Just saw that on the forum. Will ask them today. So I have time since it is not available for a month. Any ideas?

This response is a service to you as a visitor to our Web sites an
  • camoman7camoman7 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    Hey ,it's me again 2003 jeep grand cherokee cooling fan relay switch went bad again, lasted about 7 months this time. I definitly feel the heat sink grease is the key to getting some life out of the relay switch,without the grease it blows very quickly.I had a fella tell me he went to a salvage yard and got an older fan motor that had a larger gauge wire on it and that seemed to solve his problem of the relay overheating and blowing, which i'm satisfied after messing with this problem for about a year now is the problem,bad engineering in my opinion.Has anyone tried putting on a different motor with a larger wire on it............help
    Ok...here we go again. I was having electrical issues...no gauges, power windows, air condition. Hired an electrial guy who traced it back to power not turning off in the door. Even tho there should be some was way to high. Bought a used BCM as reconditioned were not available or new. A week ago went to start the jeep and it would turn over and die. Thought about just adding fuel..took gas cap off and back on. Jeep started. The Jeep has been sitting since Monday and its Thursday. Went out to test it..would turn over and die. Tired to gas cap thing and it didn't work. No gauges, no power windows. So I have a new problem along with the old problems. So it's not the BCM. Any clues guys? I don't know where to go now. Back to the electrician? Cathey
  • sosjeepgirlsosjeepgirl Member Posts: 4
    I have owned my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a little over 3 years now. Since day one it seems I've experienced several electrical issues... the worst/scariest issue though is with my headlights (as many other people have experienced). They flash/flicker on/off randomly (doesn't matter if they're switched on or off). The interior lights also flash/flicker in unison. Sometimes they will go completely off at night and then come back on after a minute or so. The high beams, when on, always work and never flicker. No one has been able to help me but it's getting more severe! Is anyone positive on the root cause of this issue?? Please help!
  • rgarmonrgarmon Member Posts: 9
    HI PLEASE DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YOUR JEEP??? I NEED HELP!!!

Hopefully you are still on this site. I have major problems with my 2001 JEEP Grand Cherokee. It first started a few months ago while driving, the JEEP would jolt as though it was trying to cut off. After a month of that it did start cutting off while driving and at stop signs/lights. I would have to put the car into neutral and restart- while driving!!! After about 2 months of this it would not start easily, or it would start and cut off within 10 seconds. After this it totally died and I had to replace the battery. So, after I replaced the battery the JEEP started, but still with the same problems listed above. Additionally, there are other things going on that I believe are related: the speedometer fluctuates up and down, the digital gas reading fluctuates- it will say 100 miles to empty then 0 miles to empty then 24 miles to empty and so on. Not sure if these are all related. Additionally, I had the altinator tested and it was 13.5 (kind of low).

The dealership ran diagnostics, but couldn't get a reading because they said "it would fix itself and no codes would come up."

Now they are telling me to replace the PCM. They want $900 total! I have already put so much into this JEEP to no avail. After reading some of these posts I am wondering if it may just be a coil? Please help. I need to know what questions to ask these jokers- like did they test for spark??? Please give me some ideas and maybe a list of questions to ask the dealer to see what they did to determine that it is the PCM.

Thanks!!!
    I have major problems with my 2001 JEEP Grand Cherokee. It first started a few months ago while driving, the JEEP would jolt as though it was trying to cut off. After a month of that it did start cutting off while driving and at stop signs/lights. I would have to put the car into neutral and restart- while driving!!! After about 2 months of this it would not start easily, or it would start and cut off within 10 seconds. After this it totally died and I had to replace the battery. So, after I replaced the battery the JEEP started, but still with the same problems listed above. Additionally, there are other things going on that I believe are related: the speedometer fluctuates up and down, the digital gas reading fluctuates- it will say 100 miles to empty then 0 miles to empty then 24 miles to empty and so on. Not sure if these are all related. Additionally, I had the altinator tested and it was 13.5 (kind of low).

The dealership ran diagnostics, but couldn't get a reading because they said "it would fix itself and no codes would come up."

Now they are telling me to replace the PCM. They want $900 total! I have already put so much into this JEEP to no avail. After reading some of these posts I am wondering if it may just be a coil? Please help. I need to know what questions to ask these jokers- like did they test for spark??? Please give me some ideas and maybe a list of questions to ask the dealer to see what they did to determine that it is the PCM.

Thanks!!!
  • imsimonmimsimonm Member Posts: 5
    My jeep does the same thing and I can't get my factory wired trailer hitch to work on the running lights. If I turn on my fog lamps my headlights go out and when I turn on my headlights they flash and people think I am flashing at them even in the daytime. HELP
  • busymom15busymom15 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find someone that knew what to fix with your headlights? Mine did the same thing last week while driving 80 passing a semi at night. The dealership doesn't know what to do....
    Sounds like we had a different problem. We never had a problem with our head lights our jeep was cutting off completely while driving. We had to replace the power control module it cost almost 900. Have they checked your batter and altinator? Sorry i cant be more of a help.
  • evandermeydeevandermeyde Member Posts: 1
    I feel like ive had electrical problems since day one. My interior lights have flickered for a long time but tonight was the first time my headlights did it. Its very scary when your on the highway. If any one finds out what is causing this please let me know.
  • imsimonmimsimonm Member Posts: 5
    No they want to start replacing part one at a time starting at $ 200 each
  • sosjeepgirlsosjeepgirl Member Posts: 4
    I have not been able to find out the issue and it sounds like there's no clear solution. I agree w/ busymom - it's terrifying when this happens at night!
    Hi back again! The problem still is going. I took the Jeep to a dealership. First I spent 338.00 and drove the Jeep 10 miles. It quit working. The engine will start then die. So this is what I'm being told. I replaced the BCM with one from a wrecking yard. New wasn't available. The dealership says that the BCM that we put in is shutting down the PCM and the only way to clear the problem is to buy new BCM and PCM and have them installed. I have all ready put 1100.00 into the Jeep. Now with the new amount with tax it will be up to 2700.00. I am at a loss. Why can't they clear the PCM and the BCM and start over? Program them to my car? Why do I have to buy new ones? Please someone technical HELP!!
  • heatherreedheatherreed Member Posts: 1
    Mine does the same thing. Have you found a solution?
  • jeepgonewild1jeepgonewild1 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 GC 3.7 had numerous electrical probs. Horn wouldnt stop honking/clock spring fix. Lights flashing/ head light control switch fix. PCM issues/ bought preprogrammed PCM but took it to the dealership for a re flash because my TCM was not online. Replaced shifting module. I would never put after market products on this jeep. Stick to OE ONLY. I had fancy spark plugs put in even though AZ Auto parts told me it would be ok. To find out these plugs draw to much power to the packs. Use only copper core plugs. Please double check what fluids to use in your Jeep. Power steering and coolant are different. Its safer to use what the Daimer calls for in your Jeep instead of advice from back yard techs. Another good investment is a code reader/eraser that you can buy for a little over 50bucks seeing how Jeep likes to throw codes in your face. I would honestly say I would NEVER buy another Jeep again. By the time I pay off this Jeep I could prob work in the service department at the Jeep dealership.
  • jrmcarthurjrmcarthur Member Posts: 3
    I have owned this Jeep for over two years and been very happy with it. I purchased it used; it's a 1999 GC with a 6 cylinder. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket stereo, and I have since installed a new Sony unit. My issue is this: The front door speakers would intermittently not work and now don't work at all. The remote door lock would ALSO intermittently work to unlock, but always lock. Now the remote does not work to unlock at all. BOTH of these events seemed to happen concurrently. I'm wondering if the passenger control module could be the source of my problem as the two seem to be part of both systems (at least according to what I read in the manual). I would appreciate anyone's input as far as a resolution for the issue is concerned. Thanks in advance!
  • larchavelarchave Member Posts: 19
    Well, let me be the first to say this will continue. I purchased a 2006 Jeep Cherokee in 06 with 12,000 miles one it, and 2 months after having in it was in the shop every other month. Car wouldn't start, engine light comes on, lights flicker, the dash lights go crazy, and my car locks on all gears and won't accelerate after stopping at a stop light. The dealer couldn't find the problem while it was under warrantee, so they reset the intire conputer system they claimed. No problems for about 2 years and now the problems have returned. But, they discovered it now. Says I need to replace the computer that runs the car and it will cost some where around 1000.00. So, prepare yourself But another Jeep again, I will never. I love them but I can't deal will these issues. Everyone I know that has or has owned a Jeep told me to prepare for electrical problems. I didn't listen.
    I have a question for anyone, I had my transmission service about 3 months ago. and every since i've had nothing but electrical problem and it's pertaining the transmission. My mechanic hooked up some machine to my car, and the results were that it's was a default in the computer system that controlled the transmission. sometime my car won't shift gears, while driving the dash lights fro DNRP all lights up at the same time and i have to put the car in Neutral then back in drive in order for me to accelerate, the engine light won't go off and my head lights flicker of and on. Has anyone else had this issue after a transmission service?
  • bardsleybardsley Member Posts: 1
    I MISSED THE PART ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY WAS YOUR PROBLEM...I HAVE A 2006 JEEP GCLTD HEMI...AND THE LIGHTS ON THE DASH ARE FLICKERING WILDLY ALONG WITH THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT...ALL SYSTEMS QUIT BUT THE ENGINE KEEPS RUNNING...SO COULD THIS BE THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU EXPERIENCED?...I LET THE CAR SIT OVER NIGHT AND ALL IS FINE NEXT DAY BUT NOT FOREVER...THE ENGINE GETS WARMED UP AND ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE...WITHTHE PINBALL MACHINE DASH FLASHING LIKE MAD...I DON'T KNOW IF MY LIGHTS ARE GOING OUT SINCE THIS HAS BEEN A DAYTIME DRIVING EXPERIENCE. WHAT DO YOU THINK? THANK VERY MUCH.
    Not sure if yours is the same problem. Our jeep was having crazy electrical issues the biggest on was cutting off while driving and at stops- very scary- we would have to put the jeep in neutral and restart. Our electric gas meter also did crazy stuff the speedometer went nuts and i think that was it. This went on for months and months taking the cars to many shops and lots of money.

In the end we finally solved the issue. It was the pcm- power control module- basically that is the computer system of the jeep. It cost us about 900 parts and labor, but the jeep runs great now.

Hope all of u figure out your jeep situations and maybe ours will help someone along the way. Honestly this is the first and last jeep we will ever buy- they seem to have lots of electrical issues. Good luck!
  • architectkmparchitectkmp Member Posts: 16
    similar problem.... solution: WIRING HARNESS... ever since then runs as smooth as possible for a Jeep
    :shades:
    Hello, my jeep is nuts, my engine like turns on every other day, the head lights flicker off and on, then all light on the dash flicker and the gears DNRP all light up @ the same time and the car won't shift gears. I have to coast over and put in N or P the back in drive. Sometimes it won't start @ all, its just clicks and 5 or 6 tries it starts. No one seems to know what's going on, but I was told that I needed a new computer. That is was a default. But otherwise the mechanic says the transmission and engine was fine. :lemon:
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    how old is the battery first thing i wood do is change battery as jeeps need a good voltage supply
    I just replaced the battery last year around march, brand New AAA battery they installed when my car wouldn't start.
  • jeepgirl52jeepgirl52 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem with my 2005 JGC. I switched out the ignition switch, had it checked so many times and nothing worked. One person suggested it could be the electronic key. I had two. I stopped using the one and started using my spare. Have not had the electrical issue now in almost a year. Sometimes, it's just that simple.
    @ jeepgirl52, I remember now when I first bought my jeep, the dealer said something in regards to the key and my car not starting. I only received 1 key with my purchase, is was used with 12,000 miles. I was told I would receive another key and never did. When I asked about it, I was told it would cost me 100 dollars. So my husband and just forgot about. Maybe I will try this first before I start investing into the thousands. My last jeep for sure, I love them but not these issues.
  • candiie33candiie33 Member Posts: 2
    Hello can you please lead me in the direction of the ignition switch. I need to stop this flickering. I had a very bad experience with these light and they completely cut off on me for a couple second down a dark road with my children in the car. I went to auto zone yesterday after ready your post and they act like they didn't know what an ignition switch was. Is there a specific name or product code, or website I can get it from. My husban band me from driving at night until we can figure out the cause and fix it.

Please anybody help my family out
  • candiie33candiie33 Member Posts: 2
    I have been trying to find the problem with my 05 jeep. I finally saw a lot of post on this site. I went to Auto Zone yesterday, and they told me it's no such thing of an ignition switch so with much frustration I left and ran back to this site to seek more answers. Do anyone know a product code, website, or the direct name for this part. I'm forced to not drive at night after the lights completely went out for several second with my children in the car.

Please help up out we are lost seeking the correct part
    I'm not sure if I am calling it by the right term. It's the entire ignition mechanism, where you actually insert the key to start the care. But try getting a second key first.
    One thing I found out while driving at night. I always have my headlighlights turned on as auto, whereby they come on as soon as it turns dusk or dark. Try just clicking it back to the manual lights switch. Your panel may flicker but your headlights should not turn off.
    I think it's the starter your referring to. My car started on it's sickness this morning again. Not wanting to change gears and the dash lights were flicker like mad. I think it's time for me to take it in. it ws fine for about a week or two and now it's at it again
  • chief40chief40 Member Posts: 4
    The drivers side tail light and side marker went out. Fuse is good, Bulbs are good. All other lights work. Is there a fusible link in the system somewhere ? I even disconnected the converter box for the trailer lights. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  • chief40chief40 Member Posts: 4
    I narrowed the problem down to a faulty "lamp outage module" I bypassed it and all the lights work. Now all I have to do is find one.
  • jordon3jordon3 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep is pissing me off lol ok so my starter is going bad but while i am driving the jeep will just die ill still have power but the engine will just die my pops said it might be a bad 02 sensor but i cant run a diagnostic because the check engine light only comes on when the jeep dies. but once turn the car back on the light goes off. the battery is fine i just checked it connections are good. :shades:
    Ours was doing the same thing it was the pcm.
  • mech3mech3 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo has started a stalling problem. It occurs after a period of time. Check engine light comes on, starts a "skipping type process" then reduces speed. If the car is not stopped, it eventually shuts down. I have been in "chat rooms" with Jeep owners and getting advice from a number of sources. I noticed that a lot of Jeep owners are having this problem. I have had diagnostic checks ran and so far replaced, fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, some type sensor, some type relay, spark plugs and ignition coil. I even loosen the bolts on the fuse box as suggested by one owner in a "chat room". None of these corrected my problem. Any other suggestions anyone?
  • mech3mech3 Member Posts: 2
    I saw one reply that it was the PCM. May I ask, what is the "PCM"? I guess you can tell I am a female...
    Hey im a female too had the same prob with our grand cherokee. The pcm is the power control module basically the computer of the vehicle. We had it fixed, it cost almost 900 but it runs perfect now. It took us a long time to fig out what was wrong because they cldnt get a code when they ran diagnostics. It took 5 mos to fig it out and lots of parts and money before finding out it was the pcm. Find someone u can trust to find out if u r hvg the same prob. Hope it wrx out for u.
  • hershey3hershey3 Member Posts: 1
    So happy to find this site. I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It started out with my electrical windows not working and then my ac wouldn't blow thru the vents and then yesterday going home my dashboard lit up and everything went haywire, the windows wouldn't work unless I hit the driver's side door with my arm and the windows would work but then the dashboard went crazy, speedometer went to zero, gauges went crazy. It was very scary as I travel on the I-10 and am a little ways from my home. Please help me in any way you can!!
    what is the PCM
  • lroyealroyea Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I just want to say I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that we bought used, are still paying on, and I think its a piece of CRAP!! Since the very beginning we have had electrical problems starting with the radio. You have to hit clock in order to get the radio to work. Then it began going off like a Christmas tree. I will be driving along, I will have shifting problems, dash lights all blinking and going crazy, ac blower turning on and off, headlights and rear lights blinking like crazy (this makes me feel really safe on the highway at night), gauges going crazy up and down and turning off. I WILL NEVER AGAIN PURCHASE A CHRYSLER PRODUCT IN THIS LIFE TIME!!! I do have to ask if every one is complaining of the same issues then why have they not been forced to be accountable and have a recall???
    I feel your pain. The first day I drove of the lot my radio stopped playing. No need to tell u my story. Everything u mentioned are the exact same problems I'm having. Light flickering @ night. I'm surprised someone hasent gotten out of their car to curse me out thinking I'm flashing @ them. Its falling apart. I have a 06 with 77 thousand miles. And from this start its gone while. The first 6 months of having it. It was in the shop 5 times. BUT!! The dealing camt even tell u what's wrong. So sad. I love my jeep. But never ever will I purchase another one.