Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Exhaust Repair

china1china1 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Isuzu
I'm hoping that one of you guys with exhaust experience can help me here...
On the right (passenger) side of my 2001 Trooper (automatic), the front exhaust pipe coming from (leading to) the catalytic converter has pulled away from the flange (3-hole) near the manifold. Without pulling off the torsion bar, 3rd cross member, etc....I'm wondering how that particular portion of the pipe can be repaired. It doesn't look like it rusted away or anything...it's sort of a clean break...almost like it was pulled out of the bracket/flange. Is there a special clip/gasket/seal that is used here to secure the pipe onto the flange?

Comments

• china1china1 Member Posts: 3
    Just re-read my message...I didn't mean to imply I'm not willing to remove all the parts necessary to access the flange....just that I didn't want to take it all apart only to find I have to put it back together to take to a muffler shop...
    Just want to make sure I can do the repair myself first.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    This is common, my dad had it fixed 3x. A good muffler place should be able to re-weld it w/o removing too much.

-mike
  • china1china1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Paisan,
    I was thinking about going in and removing the whole Cat. Conv. so I got up under there yesterday and could reach the nuts using a 20" extension on my impact wrench...unfortunately I couldn't break the nuts free. My air tank has limited pressure even though the wrench will handle about 230 lbs. Looks like a muffler shop is what it's gonna have to be...
This discussion has been closed.