Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Starting / Stalling Problems

stevo3212stevo3212 Member Posts: 1
edited May 2017 in Pontiac
I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 with the 2.4L 4cyl engine. Has anyone else encountered a problem when they start their engine and the motor sounds like no oil is going through it (sounds like very loud lifter tick)? It has happened to me 4 times now and it lasts for about 1 second after the vehicle has been started (only after the vehicle has been sitting for atleast 8 hours and is somewhat cold out). Brought it into the dealership, and of course no luck so far....I'm guessing the oil is cold and is not getting to the top-end of the motor quick enough..the only thing that confuses me is one day it happened at 11pm when it was 45 degrees out..if anyone has any possible causes for me, it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• auntjauntj Member Posts: 2
    I went to Sonic, ate and when I tried to start my car to leave, it make a kind of clicking or "chuck"ing noise and everything locked up. All of the electrical is working; I was able to roll up my windows, turn my radio on and off, if I turned the key to try to get it to start the a/c would come on, etc.

By locked up, I mean that I cannot shift out of park, the steering wheel is locked and the break pedal won't depress. Also, when I used the remote to lock the car (one of my roommates was kind enough to come get me), it locked but it did not honk. I tried to start it a couple of times, each time it failed to start the radio would flip through all of the CDs, kind of like something was resetting itself?

Help! Does anyone have an idea what's going on? I'm getting a tow tomorrow, but if there's something I could try I would love to avoid the garage.
  • kim32kim32 Member Posts: 1
    This happens to my car also....did you find out what this is about?
  • auntjauntj Member Posts: 2
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, My car is acting normal, but I have noticed a high pitched sound, more like a hiss from the engine, but high pitched. Its not loud, but I have noticed it. Because, it did not make the sound when I leased the car last spring.

I am not too worried about it, but I am going to take it in and ask them when I get my oil changed soon. Really want to know what it is, plus the car only has 11k miles, so I shouldn't have any problems. Sorry to hear you guys are..

I think what I will do to compare, is to listen to a new model, and a model with similar mileage. I have the 4cyl car,

Plus have you noticed that the 4cyl engine sorta sounds cheap when it starts? I am not sure how to describe it, but it really is a louder, cheaper sounding start up. The V6 engine seems to sound more quiet and better sounding when it starts. Sounds silly, but has always been an observation from the beginning. This is also coming from someone who had an 06 Accord 4cyl, and it didn't sound like this when it started. Nothing is wrong, because the others sound like this too. My friend has one too.

If anyone else has had a similar observation, let me know. :)
  • toysg6toysg6 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 Pontiac G6, with the same 2.4L engine, and I absolutely HATE it. I have had it for 1 month and it seems like the worst purchase of my life. The starter keeps getting stuck. It continues to turning over like it doesn't want to crank. I find my problem occuring most when its really hot outside. After my car has sat outside all afternoon and I try cranking it, it gives me trouble. I took it to the dealership and they said nothing was wrong (of course). Its really embarassing if someone is in the car with me. Have you had any luck with yours? I see that its been quite awhile.
  • lyvwyr70lyvwyr70 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT model. Whenever I start my car it starts and then immediately shuts down. I don't get a check engine light or anything. It will start if I give it a little gas and then it runs normally. I have also experience a loss in power and gas mileage even after replacing plugs and wires. I have a diagnostic tool and i get no codes. Any Suggestions?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lyvwyr70,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • mikelosspower1mikelosspower1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    loss of power on take off and wont run very well at higher speed. surges just recently and engine light on what could be problem?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Have the catalytic converter checked for plugging , easy test.
  • allshineduptwoallshineduptwo Member Posts: 1
    that would most likely be fuel pressure regulater, its there to hold fuel pressure in the line for starting, when they go bad they let the preesure off so then pushing gas is required. its easy inexpensive fix. not sure where your is but will be on top of motor by fuel line.parts store or internet will tell you. i put some on other gm cars i had and fixed starting problem and gas milage. gl, hope this helps
  • jaybird08jaybird08 Member Posts: 1
    2005 Pontiac G6...Started vehicle after being locked for the day, would not allow to shift out of park, with brake depressed, or at all, unable to even depress the button on the shifter. Security padlock no longer blinks on the panel, lit solid yellow, maybe security engaged. Unhooked battery, reconnected, tried to start, now it won't even start. Is there some way to reset this? We have the remote keyless entry, and the master key for the vehicle, but it will not let us do anything.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jaybird08,
    Can you send me your post and VIN in an email? I will look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jimmy6377jimmy6377 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 G6 with the 3.5L V6. The car has 90,000 miles on it. It shuts off going down the road. I pull over and shut the car off and it restarts. The Service Abs light also comes on and the Traction Control light comes on. The starter engages while the car is running. When the car is running and you turn the wheel to the right it stalls. Can anyone help? This is the biggest piece of [non-permissible content removed] car I have ever bought. 
  • mattmck2mattmck2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT. Car has been great for 12 years. Now the car just shuts off while driving. Once sitting in a drive through the other rolling over a speed bump. I see others have had the problem but I didn’t see any solutions. I tried to take it to the dealership but they said they wouldn’t look at it with no codes. By the way, no codes of any sort. After 5 min car starts and runs fine. Any thoughts on a fix? Please help!
  • kwarren1952kwarren1952 Member Posts: 1
    that sounds like the security system malfunctioning. You could also try disconnecting the battery cable for a few seconds. This may reset the computer and help.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2018
    Fuel pump? Cools and then works again after a few minutes?

Not sure about the engine you have: the 3800s had a crankshaft position sensor that lost strength with age and heat and clearance. Lost magnetic effect and instantly gave no spark signal to the spark control module which was under the 3 coils. Cooled for up to 30 minutes with the engine and started just fine. A test was pouring cold water on the Crankshaft Position Sensor next to the harmonic balancer. Then it would restart more quickly because the cps was cooled quickly. Also some had connection inside connectors or wire problems breaking the circuit to the CPS.

The statement that it requires only about 5 minutes to cool and a connection to make contact again might mean going through battery connections at the battery and at the other ends of both the positive and negative cables and retightening them all to break through corrosion that has formed. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT CABLES FROM BATTERY TO PREVENT ANY SHORTS.

How old is the battery? Do you have someone with a battery you can substitute in for troubleshooting purposes to eliminate your battery?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Shaylynn_brookeShaylynn_brooke Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my pontica G6 Friday night and I drove it home and I haven it drove it sene because I have go get some insurance tomorrow we’ll went out to crank my car up to night and when I went to start it all the hand  gauges  go up well why the hang gauges go up it sound like it died out then when all then hang gauges went back down it started running then  
    Did this answer the question? Yes · No
  • Kayden95Kayden95 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 and the car cranks weird. Yeh car will turn over then the gauges will fall back to zero the re engage and the car will run. Sometimes it will actually cut off if I don’t give it a bit of gas. Does anyone know why?