Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana Stereo Display Problem

24randyo24randyo Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
We have a 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport (with the Montana package). We live in a colder climate (Canada) and during the winter when the weather is cold, the display on the stereo works fine. However, when the weather warms up (it was 23C, 75F the other day), or when the dash gets good and warm, the display goes all goofy. The letters and numbers get all jumbled and are flickering and dancing around. The stereo still works fine, but you can't tell what time it is or what station or what track you are on. As soon as it gets cool again, the display works fine again.

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know if there might be an easy fix?

Please let me know.

Thanks, Randy

Comments

• quehousequehouse Member Posts: 7
    Unfortunately there is no fix for this problem. It is a defect in the unit and the only fix is to change the whole unit. I have had this problem for a couple of years and I found a used working unit in the scrap yard.
  • 24randyo24randyo Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply!
    The whole unit includes the radio/cassette/equalizer but not likely the CD player, which is down by the floor, right? The CD player is probably just cabled up to the main unit?
    Did you change it yourself? If so, how big of a job is it and can just an ordinary van owner do it? If not, how many hours labour was it for the technician?

Please let me know... thanks, Randy
  • crash65crash65 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 montana about 135000 miles on it. I have recently had to replace the fuel pump which was a chore in and of its self. Anywho since changing the fuel pump I have had some problems with it acting like it is misfiring while I am driving it, and it dos not make a difference if I give it the gas or not it still acts the same. It also acts like the transmission is kicking in and out when I go around corners at a pretty good pace. I used a code scanner on it and it tells me that the torque converter solenoid circut is stuck on as well as EVAP EMISSION SYSTEM pressure Sensor/switch low input. EVAP EMISSION System Vent Control Circut intermittent. Any ideas on what the problem (s) could be. Thanks in advance for all the help.
  • ponkabillponkabill Member Posts: 2
    I have heard much about thise codes. I have a 2000 Montana and I would like to know how to get the codes displayed on the dash. My son tells me that this can be done without expensive equipment, but I'm not sure how. I have some lights on that I would like to check out before spending a ton of money on this van. It is gettin up there in years and miles LOL
This discussion has been closed.