Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda CR-V

13»

Comments

• peacheypeachey Member Posts: 12
    This is the latest response from American Honda regarding the severe body vibration exhibited by my 2007 Honda CR-V:

As an aside, after Buckeye Honda, Lancaster, Ohio, advised that I would have to "live with it" I filed a customer claim with BBB Auto Line. BBB Auto Line refused to arbitrate with American Honda because the mileage on my CR-V was in excess of the Honda warranty (36,000) at the time I filed the claim (even though the mileage documented by Buckeye Honda for the first of five attempted repairs was less than 36,000). It was explained by the BBB that I did not meet the "Time Period for Filing" for the claim to be eligible under their program. Since I put my misguided faith in Honda by allowing five months to elapse while Buckeye Honda dithered around before they told me to "live with it" the claim was determined to be untimely.

Today I was informed by a customer service representative at American Honda that this body vibration is [quote] an inherent condition in this vehicle and not a defect [unquote]. Supposedly Honda engineers verified that this body vibration does not present a safety issue (this is debatable) and since the 2009 CR-V which I test drove [apparently a determining factor] demonstrated the same vibration, that this car has no defect. I beg to differ and advised him that my next car will be a Chevrolet. Also, Buckeye Honda has seen the last of my continued patronage.
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    30 days only with my new 2010 EX-L and no vibration issues to report. So at least for this short period, is not an inherent condition in this vehicle for 2010 model
  • kevinaomkevinaom Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 Honda CR-V and I have the same issue. Actually, my car it sounds like a very loud "wobble" from the back left of the car. It is not wind noise, just a loud wobble in the back. The car rides fine but the sound is unbearable.

Given the LACK of Honda support it appears others have received, I will immediately begin taking this to my Honda dealer to document the issue. Further, I suggest we start a "Twitter" campaign to get the attention of Honda marketing. This is a serious problem and the response you received is crazy. Imagine if they said, "Not starting in cold weather is an inherent issue with this car but not a safety issue"! Crazy. Look for the hash tag #honda and #hondacrvvibration for the campaign.

Kevin
    Kevin: Thanks for your response. I have now filed a complaint with the Central Ohio Better Business Bureau against Buckeye Honda in Lancaster Ohio since BBB Auto Line works hand in hand with American Honda. It is my opinion that Buckeye Honda knowingly and willingly allowed the mileage warranty to expire while "servicing" the car over a five-month period knowing this would negate BBB Auto Line's arbitration with American Honda because the mileage exceeded the warranty at the time of the filing of the complaint This 2007 CR-V EX exhibits and always has loud wind and road noises in the cabin especially at highway speeds.
  • crvexl2008crvexl2008 Member Posts: 15
    Just completed 3000 mile cross country trek in 2008 CRV EX L which had 11400 miles at srtart of trip . I averaged an astounding 31.7 MPGs most of which was at 70MPH on Cruise control. The low end MPG 23.1 up mountains inthe west the best at 37.8 going down those mountains. No issues whatsoever about anything. Vehicle ran better than Secretariat in the 73 Kentucky Derby !
  • richard199richard199 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2008 CRV base model. We apparently took it on a very smooth road for test ride and did not notice how rough riding it is. Is this a problem with all 2008's? I have checked the tire pressure and took it into a dealer to get the supension checked out. I was told by them that ours was typical of all Honda CRV's.
  • quebecinnquebecinn Member Posts: 2
    :
    Remember Richard that a CRV is a truck. You'll get use to it.

My biggest problem is the "head rest" leaning too much forward. It could be because I'm short.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    What are you comparing it too?

Compared to the Nissan Versa I tradeed in, my CR-V, it rides great. It's about the same as our '08 Nissan Alitma on most surfaces, with a little more road nose, wind noise, and because of the shoirt wheelbase it rolls and ptiches a little more. But it has longer travel suspenson, so on really, really bad roads, the CR-V rides great.

I've NEVER had it bottom out, whereas my other cars would have easily bottomed out on a variety of surfaces.
    I can't tell from your post if you did or did not notice "how rough riding it is" however your next sentence which questions whether this is a problem with all 2008's suggests that you did experience a body vibration. Pursuant to my previous posts in this forum, my 2007 CR-V EX has a very noticeable body vibration; I have since driven a 2009 and 2010 model CR-V EX and both cars exhibit the body vibration. Since this does not seem to be consistent with all CR-V's, American Honda will not address this problem - Maybe it is restricted to the Midwest but I know I will never buy another Honda.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    The CR-V's short wheel base almost guarantees a bouncy ride on rough roads. But that's true of most small SUVs. Others have found that a change in tires can improve and quiet the ride somewhat.
    I'm not really understand the "body vibration" is this the normal engine resonance that occurs at low RPM when the torque converter is locked. Like at 40-50mph?

I suppose some folks are more sensitive ot certain vibration and frequencies than others I gues for me, if it's not loud enough to be annoying and I know where it's somming from, it doesn't bother me at all.

For example, when I ride my motorcycle wiht a helmet on, there's a LOT of wind noise. But that's to be expected, so it's not a complaint.

All of my cars with 4 cylinder engines have had soem sort of low freqency vibration at low RPM's. It's difficult if not impossible to design a durable engine mount that can reduce all high frequency vibrations and now all low frequncy as well.

I think hte simple solution most American cars have to vibration is making the chassi stiff and heavy enough, and isolate the suspension, steering so much that the vehicle 1) has no road feel, 2) weighs 300+lbs more than the competition. This is how Chevy resolved the issue on the Equinox. It's a fat overweight pig. 30 more HP than a '07-'09 CR-V, but the reported accelerated numbers are the same even though it has an extra gear.
  • agrishiagrishi Member Posts: 2
    As per CRV 2008 Manual:

Your vehicle displays engine oil life and maintenance service items on the information display to show you when you should have your dealer do engine oil replacement and indicated maintenance service. Based on the engine operating
    conditions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining engine oil life and displays it as a percentage.

Whereas my Honda Dealer (Paulmiller Honda) Suggest: that I should go for oil change every 3000-4000 miles and do major services after every 7500 miles (A - B- A) services.

My Car is running good and I reach upto 50% in 6 months or 6000 miles.

I just wanted to know do we need to follow Dealer or Manufacturer...?

Kindly let me know your input...
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Manufacture, not the dealer. The dealer is in for sooner oil changes and such to make money. Honda knows best. Follow it ;)
  • lvdgslvdgs Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 CRV -EX-L and at 40-45 it does vibrate. It's like a low rumble...when I accelerate it goes away when I back off it stops also.

I searched all forums and from what I've been reading it seems I have
    the Harmonic Tingle. So apparently it's happening in 2010's also.

Love the car and will live with the tingle as some of the repairs are too drastic for my taste...at least on a brand new car.

My question is - if Honda has known about this problem for all these years why can't they eliminate it? Too much to ask? (-:
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    I have a 2008 and my CRV just started the vibration. It's not my alignment so I'm guessing it's the balance of my tires (which I'm going to get done this weekend). However, if Honda sells a perfect car they would loose money. So a little imperfection, with their cars, will help them financially. I found out there are tires you can purchase that never need replacing, brakes that don't wear out, and other parts for cars that are made the same way. However, they are very expensive. Honda knows what going on with their cars (CRV's). I'm sure they have complaints and people who work for them that peep these forums like we do. It's up to Honda vehicle owners to make Honda Auto Industry listen to us when we say something is not right with our cars.
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    Check your tach when you feel it. If the engine is at very low RPM's, than a normal rumble type sensation is normal. I can't recall any 4 Cyl vehicle I've owned where I didn't experience a rumble at lower RPM's.
    In driving today - heard rumble at 1500 on tach....above or below no rumble.

I've two 4 cylinder cars....an older Honda accord and a Mazda Protege5 and never had a rumble.....

Thanks for info though......

2010 EX-L CRV
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    I have the 2010 I get the rumble at 1500 as well. Seems to be a combination of low RPM's and the AT in a higher gear. Quick fix may be to press the D3 button on the shifter although haven't tried that yet. Not sure about CRV's prior to the 2010's, but since 2010 had an engine tweak, I'd be curious if the older models experience it too.
    You may notice a little more low RPM vibration in colder weather, and expecially in slushy weather. The rubber engine mounts get stiffer in cold weather whcih will affect low RPM vibration more. Also, I found that slush can get thrown on the rear passenger side engine mount and freeze, causing a little more vibration, mostly at idle and just off idle.

Otherwise, my '03 Accord also "lugged", rumbled, vibrated, whatever you want to call it a in 4th and 5th gear at low RPM's. I consider it parts of the cars character and not uncommon for a 4 cylinder. Our Nissan Altima does this as well. Worse, from 35-40mph the CVT, noticeably "hunts" or "surges" a little.

I think all Hondas vibrate a little at low RPM. It's part of their character to a certain extend. I remember test driving a Odyssey and at low RPM's in top gear it vibrated a little too.

Modern, lean burning engines when under load at low RPM's tend to vibrate a little with the extr atall gearing they now have along with increased weight. It causes the engine to work a little harder at low RPM's that older cars might have.

Go test drive a few other 2010 vehciles and pay attention to how hte engine sounds at low RPM's when in top gear.
  • honda2010crvhonda2010crv Member Posts: 4
    My brand new 2010 CR-v EX rumble at 1500 too. I love the car but this rumbling driving me crazy. I contacted the dealer and the American Honda. They could not help me to fix this issue. Dealer says "Its the characteristic of the car". How can annoying rumbling can be a characteristic of the car?
    This post ["Beware of CR-V Vibration..."] was originally started by a person experiencing a severe body VIBRATION in the Honda CR-V and the refusal/failure of American Honda or a Honda dealership to correct/address this defect. The vibration has been described in detail in several previous posts concerning this subject although several responses have been off topic. So what is meant by "rumble" and how is it similar to the "vibration" which is/was the subject of this forum?
    On my 2010, Rumble is noticeable at 1500 rpm and between 40 - 45 mph. Sounds like going over rumble strips. If you accelerate to change gears, it stops or back off accelerator, it stops. Only slight vibration in steering wheel and if radio is on, don't hear it as much.(-:

I answered three surveys complaining of this problem and maybe, just maybe Honda will fix it?
    It appears the 2010 CR-V has other defects than the 2007 and 2008. Your "rumble" description appears dissimilar to the original forum topic.

Honda isn't going to fix anything as long as their CR-V sales remain constant and until perhaps [if and when] there are multiple fatalities related to the way the car handles (difficult to control in high winds and during high speeds due to the severe vibration of the body).
  • honda2010crvhonda2010crv Member Posts: 4
    Same exact thing happens to my 2010 CR-V!!!! I also complained to American Honda.
    Another blog I've been on says this is a very common problem in the 2010 model and 2009. They even call it a "harmonic tingle"....don't know if the bloggers named it or Honda themselves named it.

Either way it's not dangerous so far (X fingers crossed) and doesn't cause any difficult handling, etc. Just annoying at times....but if I blast my favorite Bob Segar CD, don't hear a thing...LOL
  • tomas_htomas_h Member Posts: 1
    Interesting to see that the same problem exists in the US and Canada as with the European CR-V. I have a Honda CR-V 2008 with the same problem. At speeds between 95 kph and 105 kph the entire car vibrates. I've had the car in for service at the local Honda dealer in Sweden three or four times since I got the car 18 months ago.

The explanation I get now is that there is a software error in the system controlling the fuel/air mixture. Apparently there is too little fuel in the mixture at certain speeds that have some cylinders not firing correct.

They say that Honda Japan is working on a fix and that this fix should have been available several months ago.
    Promises promises from Honda e.g. several months ago. Oh well...)-:
    Still love the 2010 but you would think since 2008 they would have corrected it....
  • rattleandrollrattleandroll Member Posts: 4
    I "enjoyed" reading all the posts since my last one in July 09 about the "newly redesigned Honda CR-V" vibration problems. I thought I had my problem licked by buying the best that money can buy - Michelin Latitude Touring tires ($1000) for my 07 CR-V LX back then - but now know that even great tires can't beat this problem. I have 51000 miles on my car and I put the Michelin's on at 38000. I recently noticed the same vibration problems and "out of balance" sounds coming from the vehicle at highway speeds that I've had from day 1 with the vehicle. Soon the car will become undrivable/unsafe again as it has in the past. I have to do something quick so I either need to sink more money into tires that can last a year - or buy a new car.

You can test if your tires are "chopped" yourself by rubbing your fingers over the tread (I find the outer tread-line next to the sidewall to be the most pronounced). Rub it 1 way towards the front of the vehicle and then the other way towards the back of the vehicle - it will be smooth one way and "choppy" or difficult the other way if they are chopped/cupped.

I only recommend someone buying a CR-V who likes to gamble - knowing they could lose all their money. You may be OK, or you may have the nightmare scenarios that many of us with 07 thru 10 models are having. I wouldn't do it if I were you.
  • jorgenhjorgenh Member Posts: 1
    Tomas, I have the exact problem as you have described.

Did you get any help from the Swedish dealer.
    If so, what was the fix? (was it software related)

I also experience a slight juddering/vibration while driving on cruise control set at 100km/h. The vibration starts just before downshifting occurs due to increased load (or if I change from 95 to 100 km/h on the cruise).
    Did you have this problem?

---------------------------
    CR-V 2010, 2,0L petrol, 5sp AT, 9000km, Adaptive cruise
    Stockholm/Sweden
  • brefbref Member Posts: 2
    Can I tow a crv with a 2-wheel dolly? Are there any limitations or problems I should be aware of?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Is your CR-V AllWD or FrontWD?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• brefbref Member Posts: 2
    frontWD
  • njdeerslayernjdeerslayer Member Posts: 1
    Just looking through post because I am having this issues with a 2008 CRV AWD. It happens most often when I am trying to drive the 45mph speed limit. Vehicle will vibrate and rumble significantly unless I either hit gas a little harder, lay off the gas, or drop vehicle into D3. I have before kept driving at certain speeds to see if it will occur and if it will go away on its own (which it doesn't) Have been able to produce it also around 25mph or so but not as often as the 45mph speeds. It is extremely annoying and cannot be good for the vehicle. Are there any idea on cause or fixes for it? I don't want to have to keep driving like that when it start to do it.
    I have driven my 2007 CR-V-EX over 78,000 miles since I purchased it new in May 2007 and still experience a body vibration at 60-65 mph which has been present since date of purchase (previously posted on this forum). I am methodical in performing the recommended maintenance however the Honda dealership and American Honda have failed to address or pursue a solution to this problem. I was given coupons for a few free oil changes and tire rotation. I am impressed with the CR-V's reliability however when it is time to trade it in for the 2012 I will not purchase another CR-V if this vibration has not been resolved by Honda.
  • davidgtuttledavidgtuttle Member Posts: 2
    I have this problem as well on my 2007 with 63,000 miles. The problem has always occurred in some form and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the rear differential. We should try to organize a group and send a formal letter to honda (or at least BBB). My dealer changed the rear diff fluid twice now. It seems to be worse on certain road services. I think surfaces that don't allow the wheels to slip/skid exacerbate the problem (my 1997 AWD Jeep had the same problem). When I first got the car there was a service alert regarding the differential fluid not being suitable in cold weather. The dealer changed the fluid under warranty but the 2nd time they charged me. I should have fought harder but at the time I thought the vibration might be from my tires. I have since replaced the tires and the vibration is a little worse (back to the slip theory - the newer tires slip less).
  • rattleandrollrattleandroll Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 LX 2WD (no differential) and I suffer the vibration problem. Convinced this design problem destroys tires prematurely. Last year, I test drove different versions of the 2011 CR-V on the highway and felt the vibration in all of them (so did the guy that drove with me).
  • classynoirclassynoir Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I purchased my Honda CRV EX-L brand new from a Honda dealership in the summer of 2008. I spent at least eight hours to purchase this vehicle. Top of the line, everything -- voice recognition, back-up camera, navigation, leather seats, heated seats, sunroof, vtec engine, mp player, 6 loaded cd player including cd player in dash board. 17 inch wheels, tinted windows, dual air -- everything you name it. In the past two months -- minor repairs -- replaced battery -- I was at grocery store and came back to my CRV and it would not start. One week later the back rotors were grinding -- no warning. The brake pads were replaced one year ago. But, I am still happy with my CRV, it has taken me places with no problems and I still receive compliments on its body style -- especially when it is washed, waxed and tires are shinning! But no problem -- what took the "cake" was that my air conditioner went out on Sunday July 14, 2013. It has 123,00 miles. I would have less miles but I am a life and health insurance producer for the State of Maryland so I traveled a lot two yrs ago. I took the vehicle to Firestone and they said the compressor went out. They told me it would cost $1,300.00 to repair the problem! I was shocked because this is not an old Honda. I used to own two 1999 and 2005 VW Passat (turbo engines and stick shifts) two Nissan Pathfinders (top of the line) 1987 and 1991, 1996 Dodge Intrepid, a 1985 Z28 Camero, 2000 Chevrolet Malibu -- I could go on and on of all the cars I have owned since 1979 -- and I never had a compressor go "dead" on me. After I read other posted messages, I was amazed at the problems with Honda CRV ac. Once I take my Honda CRV for repair I will send "Edmunds" a copy of all receipts and I do hope there will be litigation in the Civil Court system for a class action suit in the near future. My advice is to purchase an extended that Honda mails to you. I just received a warranty from them in the mail today, Thursday, July 18, 2013. Best regards to all Honda CRV owners!
  • jjsnyjjsny Member Posts: 1
    2008 CRV EXL - a/c just crapped out on me this afternoon. Only 58,000 miles; really upset with Honda; going to bring it in to my mechanic tomorrow morning. Shame on them and count me in for exposing this ridiculous money suck of a problem.
  • acgcrvacgcrv Member Posts: 1
    Last weekend my mom got a Subaru so I dumped my dying 2003 CRV in the dealer lot ($3000!) and bought her 2008 CRV AWD EX. The New V only has $36,000 miles after six years.

After a decade long mutually destructive relationship with my Honda or Hate (HOH) I'm ready to do it right this time. I read the forums and goodle the hell out of all the forums but I'm delurking because...well...it's kind of overwhelming. My mom took the car to one shop (I already called for the repair history, "it's in the mail") about twice a year for an oil change every 3000 miles.

Heres what I know needs attention...well first those bumper stickers need to go. Only the magnetic ones transferred to her new Outback and now Im suck with a dozen stickers about dogs, the beach, life is good, kayaking, etc...i love my mom but I want them gone. Any recommendations for a paint safe glue remover?

More important stuff: The New V has finally worn out the original continental tires. Its battery is dying. The ivory colored interior cloth is really brown around the door handles. And the back brakes squeak. I saw the notice about reimbursement for the a/c compressor clutch but it didn't seem like I have to take any action.

Today I met Maintainance Minder (mind blown...and frustrated), which claims 70% oil, an A, and 1500 miles to a B (at least that's what I think the MM said, bear with me, it's only been five days). The sticker on the New V's windshield says I'm 300 miles past due for an oil change; I'm assuming that's based on my moms 3000 mile schedule. After reading these and other forums, and based on my experience with the HOH, I think I can go for another thousand miles or so before changing the oil.

But what about rear diff? brake fluid? ATF? Flush or just replace? and what about cabin and air filters? And while I've still got your attention, does this thing have a timing belt or chain?

I'm disappointed that the 2008 models lack a formal maintainance schedule (I did grab the 2006 one though, thanks) because I need a lot of guidance with car care. My ten expensive years with the '03 CRV honestly taught me nothing...I sucked, the car sucked, glad its over. So this time will be different. I really want to do right by this car and figured that by now other Edmunds members must know a thing or two about maintaining a 2008 CRV with 36,000 miles. So...what do you suggest? Any tips? Warnings? Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2013
    Try the tips in this discussion for the stickers:

"Removing stickers, labels, decals, glue, sap..."

Or just take it to a detailer and let them do it while they work on the areas around the door handles.

The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide should give you more details on what the maintenance schedule involves.
  • max_crv09max_crv09 Member Posts: 1
    I must say that I've been experiencing a similar Steering Wheel vibration for quite some time on my 09 CRV, which currently has 36,000 miles, when I first noticed it, I though it was just caused by my pervious balancing after 30K maintenance, and that It could be fixed easily, but after reading the many replies to your post, I started to realize that this might not be something fixable and I might have to let go the car, as now I can't be sure if everything dangerous will happen altogether with the vibration at a high speed (> 70MPH) on the highway, and it does terrify me thinking about my wife and daughter while they are on this car everyday, with HONDA itself could not figuring out the cause at all. (according to all of your cases)

I won't be recommending CRVs to my friends anymore which I been doing for quite some time.

BTW I just called a HONDA dealer asking about the vibration, and they told me they will need to see my car to test the issue, but i am pretty sure that according to his first response after hearing the word "Vibration", he's seen enough similar cases.
  • 08crv08crv Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    OK I have went to great length to find an answer to the vibration problems in CRV's. I have the vibration problem to. Its the drive line. Not tires like the dealers will tell ya. Its not the rear end or transmission. Its the drive line that's out of balance and also the center support bearing could add to the problem. Don't go to Honda because a new drive line is 1.3K. Go to a drive line shop who specialize in drive lines. More bad news. The universals in the drive line will need to be replaced also. They are built in to the drive line and has to be specially replaced. Honda knows all about this but will not admit to any problem. Honda calls the vibration "Harmonic Tingle". Really! So its an expensive fix. Mine did the vibration thing at various speeds. Backing off or slight acceleration made it stop. Happened with cruse control on also at steady speeds. Real pain in the [non-permissible content removed]!
  • 08crv08crv Member Posts: 2
    Its the drive line.
  • Dan_the_car_manDan_the_car_man Member Posts: 1
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh honda ruuuuuules swag swag swag