Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2008

busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
Does anyone know if the 2008 Sentra has a timing belt or timing chain?

If its a belt, do you know the recommended service inspection/replacement intervals?

Comments

• altimadrvraltimadrvr Member Posts: 7
    every nissan has a timing chain i belive they been using then since 01 in there vehicles alot better than than time bombs lke honda or toyota
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Thanx...I appreciate the info....
  • hmshahhmshah Member Posts: 13
    Myfriend mistakenly did not completely shut off the gas tank round cap (he didn't finish the 'click'), 2 days later the "service engine soon" light came on. I read the manual and that's how i figured out that was the problem. It has been 1 day since I tighten the round cap as it should be, the warning light is still on. Any one familiar with this, how long will it take for the light to turn off after I have closed the cap properly? My car has only 350 miles so i don't think there is any other mechical problem.
    It's a 2008 Sentra SL.
    Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I can't speak to your specific car, but with most cars it takes several starts for the light to go off again. Let us know!
  • mkv1mkv1 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if its possible to play music through the bluetooth thats used for the hands free calling? I know there is an AUX jack but I am just a curious geek.
  • sunshine29sunshine29 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought a new Sentra three months ago and have had trouble with paint chipping. There are several spots on the hood (5-7), several small spots on the back and front bumpers, and two large large chunks missing on the front bumper, one was about (2" x 3")...the other was smaller, (1"x 1"). The dealership fixed the two larger spots under warranty, but are calling all of the others "rock chips," which are apparently not covered under warranty. We're frustrated because we drive on gravel VERY rarely and are having a hard time believing rocks did this to our car in a few short months. The spots they're not willing to fix appear to be getting bigger, the paint is peeling and we can feel bubbles in the paint on the bumper near some of the spots it's chipped.

Does anyone have any advice for us, either how we can get the dearlership to fix this under warranty, or fix it ourselves?
  • lakemjlakemj Member Posts: 1
    every time we take a long trip (25 miles or greater) and it over 80 drg the engine will not start??? it takes about 45 min or longer to start. The cars has only 6000 miles
    and this is the 5th trip back to the dealer. anyway anybody else have that problem???
  • julies310julies310 Member Posts: 1
    I recently have had problems with my paint job on my 2008 sentra. I have been hand washing this thing since I got it. Once a week. We recently had some bad weather here in Pa. I had alot of salt on my car. So I went to a car wash (do it yourself) and sprayed my car off and I starting watching the paint blow off in front of my eyes. This happened in 2 different spots on the car. On the bumper and the car door. Dealership said the bumper was something they would touch up but the door was road chips and rocks hitting it. I know every inch of this car and there were no rock chip marks til that day. Funny thing is I never have this car on the highway or dirt roads. I was told by an auto body person that if the primer coat on a car is not done properly the pain won't stick. I told the dealership. I would take the coarse that they want at first but if this happens again anywhere or if it gets worse I will not stop being a pain in there [non-permissible content removed]. The quality of this cars interior and exterior is very shotty. So is the quality of everything these days. I am going to get in touch with Nissan. The dealership told me GOOD LUCK they won't stand behind it if there are problems. Hope this helps. My car is silver by the way. Keep ya posted.
  • stevent1stevent1 Member Posts: 1
    and on wet roads sounds like a back window is open when closed. cd player has static noise and tried other sentras, same thing, nissan says normal operation,their way of not backing their product, finally rated 26 city, 33 hwy, 22 on hwy! this is the 2008 sentra,nissan is not what it used to be, buyers beware! also sunglass holder is a joke, hard to open and brackets come off when opening, nissan raised price and lowered quality!
  • sheba512sheba512 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0S. From the day I bought it, it had an engine noise that sounded like a valve knocking. Took it to the dealer told me it was nothing to worry about. Complained again, and said that they would check it but it was nothing and that my engine does not have valves. Well, how does it run...it is not a rotary...any how it ended up I threw a piston. They had to replace the engine. The car had 13,000 miles on it at the time. With the old engine I was getting around 30+ mpg on the highway...Since, the new engine went in I am lucky to be getting around 24 on the highway. When it is below 40* outside it runs like crap. The rpms are way higher than what they should be. It is like it is not shifting. This is the first automatic I have ever owned, so it is very fusterating when you are going 30mph and the tack is reading 3k+, by the time you get to 70mph you are pushing 4k+ on the tack and it will run 70mph and hold 4k+ on the tack for atleast 5-10 minutes. Then as it warms up I guess, the tack does start to fall but it usually hits 2500 and holds it there for awhile before it hits 2k and stays there running 70. I have a 5 mile drive to the interstate from my house and I run the interstate for 30 miles and have 2 more of in town to get to work. So, it is not like I am in stop and go traffic. I took it to the dealer and they say that it is in normal operating range. I don't seem to have any loose wires that may have been missed when putting the new engine in. It is not throwing any codes, I have no check engine lights...nothing...just a car that is getting crap for gas due to the high rpms. Does anyone have a clue on what might be the problem?

The other thing I noticed is when I am going down the road at what ever speeds and I come to a stop I hear and feel a clunk. The harder you brake the worse it gets...Any ideas on this one?

I hate to say it but for a foreign car, I would NOT let any one, or tell anyone to buy a Nissan. Even Nissan themselves, when you call them for help, it is ridiculous, it takes them 2 days to call you back then when they have to check and have a rep call you and you ask them a question it take them a week to call you back...It's a joke. I am just totally unhappy with the whole thing.
  • mike5663mike5663 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2008 Sentra in to the dealership several times, but they can never figure out what is causing a clunking noise from the rear of the car. I hear it when I am driving through a somewhat bumpy parking lot or other times when the road has some bumps and I am traveling at or below 20 mph (never hear it on highway).

The dealership thought it was a loose fuel line, but it did not make the sound go away. Anyone have any ideas or similar problems?

Thanks
  • mkarns1mkarns1 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know the proper interval to flush/change filter in the CVT transaxle?

What transmission fluid does it call for and can anyone recommend a great synthetic?

Thanks,

M. Karns
  • tonytalltonytall Member Posts: 3
    I have the dealer recommended maintenance schedule. The first flush to the transmission should come at about 30000 / 2 years. I already need mine. Also, Im hearing that same knocking it just recently started noticing it. Sometimes I hear it in the back sometimesI hear it in the front I sometimes it doesn't make the sound I. I can't predict exactly when it will or won't make the sound.
    Disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. If it comes back on, you still have a problem. It shouldn't come back on, the car is practically new!
    You shouldn't of replaced the engine you should of took it back and left it there. Or did you buy it used ? I bought my Sentra new, with 11 miles on it. No problem until now, but I've only done oil changes. I've been to Mexico and Remote Parts of Utah....So, to me, I made this car go through hell. The noise doesn't surprise me. Its only about a year and some months old with 29000 miles on it you do the math ! Well, anyways, I hope I don't have to replace the engine. :mad:
  • 2010_sentra_sl2010_sentra_sl Member Posts: 3
    we just bought a 2010 sentra sl and we began to notice a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car and when ever we closed the rear doors and passanger side door. we thought it may be that the muffler is loose. took the car into the dearlership, and the tech was trying to wheel us and deal us that there is nothing wrong with the car. he showed us how the muffler moves on another new sentra, but didn't show us the sound it makes when you close the door. out of curioisty, my wife and i stopped at another nissan dealership, and when we closed the rear doors on a new sentra, the car didn't make the clunking sound. please advice. :(
  • angelo9angelo9 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 white Sentra is also showing some issues on the paint job. I do only hand wash my car with ZipWax car wash, and have never take it to a car wash,. Bought it brand new around August 2008. The clear coat on the front fascia, hood, rear bumper, and trunk lid have faded to the point I took my car to the dealer for an inspection. They blame the clear coat fading on acid rain and said I need to take my car to a body shop and get the paint buffed at my cost to get the original shine back on the clear coat. I live in Florida where most of the vehicles get really exposed to the elements and I find the dealer's excuse is very poor. I am contacting Nissan to request technicala assistance to get the paint job inspected by themselves. I have noticed at least two other people have posted the same issue on this forum on same year cars that were bought around the same date so I can not discard the possibility of a factory paint job issue on this situation. Thanks for yor posting.
  • anycallanycall Member Posts: 10
    i have 2008 nissan sentra and the fuel filler door is not opening. my wife was putting gas and she told me the door won't close and gave me a piece of white plastic with spring. i took a look at the car and the white plastic seems to be a latch that holds the door closed. i tried putting it back in but it won't stay on. i somehow closed the door but now it won't open. maybe the cable was out. does anyone know if this is covered under warrenty? the car is little over 2yrs old and has 22000 miles on it.
  • blacksentrablacksentra Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 nissan sentra makes a clunking noise also in the rear.I fixed the problem by tightening the tail light.
  • helena219helena219 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I recently got a 2008 Nissan Sentra last year on Sept. 2010. I love my car but I have had some problems with the car making a clanking noise as soon as I put the car in drive and begin moving it. After I begin driving it for about a couple seconds, the clanking noise stops, but it continues again if I turn off the car and begin driving again. I am also hearing a loud humming sound coming from the transmission. I know with these types of transmissions it does make a very different sound compared to other sedans but mine is just extremely loud. My windows also make a ticking noise as they go up and one of them is taking so long before it is closed completely. I love my car and I haven't had any terrible problems, but I know my warranty will be up very soon so I need to know whats going on and what can be covered.
  • saldadsaldad Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Yes i have a 2008 Nissan Sentra and when I put in drive it also clanks. I am also hearing a loud flem type noise once I start driving then it goes away. Where you ever able to fix the problem?
  • srod1srod1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Hekena210,

I have this issue as well with my 2008 Nissan Sentra. I just took it into Nissan and it turns out that one of the piston rings came apart. The engine will need to be rebuilt and they've quoted me 8k!!!! Also, they are asking for maintenance records stating that if I am not able to provide them, my warranty may not cover the work even if it is a faulty piston since there is no proof that the car is maintained. My advice is that you make sure you have all your documentation & take your car in before its too late. If you don't have documentation, consider alternatives because Nissan will now charge me the diagnosis fee even if I don't leave the car there to get the engine rebuilt, which will run around $400. Please learn from my mistakes. There is obviously no way in hell i will ever purchase a Nissan again ever. I have had mitsubishi and honda in the past with no issues like this. I have only had this car for 10 months.
  • asday13asday13 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

New here and just wondering if anyone could answer my question. About a week ago while driving my 08 Sentra, then engine began making a loud noise. Sounds like its not running smoothly and makes a rattle when decelerating. Didn't know if anyone else had experienced this or if anyone knew if it was a cylinder not firing correctly, etc.

Thanks!
  • donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone done a coolant change on a 2008 Nissan Sentra. Looking at the alldata instructions and the Nissan service manual they show some fancy mechanism (tool # KV991J0070) involving a vacuum guage, compressed air etc. Can't you just change it the old fashioned way?
    Thanks for any help
  • dc0092dc0092 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Sentra and had 2 noises, 1st the knocking popping sounds
    (like a golf ball size rock hit the floor board) when you start from 0 mph to 8 mph or while turning from a stop. It was a bad front passenger Strut mount at 15,000 miles( under warranty) after the new one was installed the noise started again a few days later they took the assembly apart and lubed it. It now may be from one of the rear strut units. Also when braking 15mph or under to o mph... there is a hum from the brakes or tranny that was not there until the last 3 weeks, they said its nothing. This car is not driven hard at all. hope this helps. Over all I really like the car so far.
  • mariainnymariainny Member Posts: 1
    I leased a 2010 Nissan Sentra. The car only has 34,000 miles. A little over a week ago, I started hearing that same sound you described, like a ticking noise in the engine. The engine light went on. I took it to the dealership service shop, and they told me it was a a loose or broken piston ring and that the whole engine needs to be replaced! It's still under warranty, and yet, they state since I do not have all the receipts of maintenance (which I wish I had kept), that we would have to pay $6,000! Is this a manufacturer's defect here, since others on this site seem to be sharing these same types of issues with their Sentras? We are now taking the matter to Nissan Consumer Affairs to try to fight this. How can an engine die before 35,000 miles?? Is this a common fault with Sentras?
  • eleconomicoeleconomico Member Posts: 1
    i had this car in may shop, came in with engine noise, we rebuilt it with only 35k miles in it, after that we took it for the test drive and heard a noise coming from the trans, we check for oil level and it was 2 1/2 qts low of trans fluid. even though we did not remove any oil from the transmission. so i recommend you to check the oil level on the tranny first.
  • donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone replaced the block heater on a 2008 Sentra? Base model 2.0L
  • 2008Sentra2008Sentra Member Posts: 1
    2008 Sentra: Seeking help to track down a Reading light (Map Light) assembly replacement because I broke mine. Old and brittle and broke it trying to replace bulbs.
    (Note: This is not the dome light in the center.) I would be grateful for any help to point me in the right direction of places to try. I've struck out everywhere so far.