Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X6

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please talk about the BMW X6 in here.

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    These days the genetic code for cars and SUVs is being mixed together at a rate that would make old Gregor Mendel's head spin. With all manner of crossovers already blurring the distinction between cars and utility vehicles to the point of incomprehensibility, BMW is about to announce yet another genetic mutation: the Sports Activity Coupe.

First Look: 2009 BMW X6 xDrive50i
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    To me, they are all just fancy, distant relatives to the truck/station wagon affair!

But who am I to complain! If that's what people want, it's a good thing!

Regards,
    OW
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    x6 is not for people with many kids and families,Its for people who want coupe in fact its just like a coupe but a better higher driving position.

I really like the x5 and will be taking a x5 in probably the next year or2 but first really want to see the x6 in person because first of all I don't need a 3rd row seat even the 2nd row will probably be empty most of the time.

Despite the fastback roof line, the rear seats offer headroom that's only 1.1 inches less than you'll find in the second row of an X5.

Is the front drivers seat head room same as the x5 or lower?

can't wait to see it in person I don't know why every1 seems to say that x5 x6 are soccer mom car.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    An X6 brochure is now available on bmw.com.
    thanks. do u like the x6?
    It's interesting. The styling is getting less offensive to me as time goes on.
    Indeed it's a different thing. Had the same feeling when I saw the x5 in magazines it felt like seeing the same old model which i never liked, and it was very different car to see it in person.
    But the negative things i read abt the x6 compare to the x5 is

1.x5 already doesn't have much ground clearance so probably more less for the x6 but that has to be expected since they call it a SAC. sport activity coupe

2.less head room in the back seat then the x5 but 1.1inch doesn't make a big difference not sure whats the difference for the front seat head room compare to the x5.

3.less utility space but that doesn't bother me at all.

4.side windows has down sized specially the second row

5.it's even longer than the x5.

6.The steering wheel features BMW's uniquely styled shift paddles shift which i wonder might bother while turning the steering. but since those m5 m6 has those shifts i don't think that will be a problem at all.

7.not sure how better the v8 twin turbo will be to the the current naturally aspirated v8.

After all the negative side of the x6 I can forget it all after seeing it in person I hope so. ;)
    Another negative of the X6 vs the X5 is the width: 78 inches vs 76.1. I think the track is wider, though, no doubt to improve the "dynamics" that they are constantly stressing in their press materials. (I'm not sure how you can seriously brag about dynamics when discussing a 5000 lb 66 inch tall vehicle.)
    But the width doesn't bother me the length does, because I don't want to end up driving a LWB SUV limo.

I'm not sure how you can seriously brag about dynamics when discussing a 5000 lb 66 inch tall vehicle

So how can they??? :confuse:

So do you agree with all my negative points or not?

Do you have any of your own negative point the x6?

I also heard abt rear visibility problems and blind spots.
    Your negative points don't bother me too much. The visibility is probably the one I'd be most concerned about. I'm more worried about the weight and the styling.
    Ok.well those aren't my negative points it's just what I found out in the net and magazine's

The negative points that do bother me a little is also the visibility and down sized side windows, other points will be no concern at all specailly for those whos is going to get this vehicle.

Surely styling will be the biggest concern for getting this vehicle.
  • apintsapints Member Posts: 18
    Does anybody know the list price of the x6 6cylinder and the V8?
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    I'm on my dealer's list for a production slot for a V-8 X6. They told me to expect a sticker price in the mid $80k range when I order it nearly fully loaded. They expect base price of the turbo V-8 to be around $70k.

Considering that a fully loaded X5 4.8i is over $76k and a fully loaded 535xi wagon is $73k, that price range is entirely believable. Still, it would be nice to see the actual price list.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    Not sure if the turbo V-8 will be much better than the normally aspirated V-8?

The torque and the nearly flat power curve are the deal changers. There should be a big difference in performance given that the new engine makes 450 ft-lb of torque and 400 hp at 1,800 rpm.

The normally aspirated V-8 makes peak torque of 350 ft-lbs at 3,400 - 3,800 rpm. And the X6 is supposed to be about 150 lbs lighter than the X5.

BMW's published X6 acceleration is 0 - 60 in 5.3 seconds, a full 1.2 seconds faster than the 4.8i. Real world acceleration probably will be a little quicker given that BMW's published numbers are usually conservative.

If my experience with the turbo V-6 is any indication, acceleration will be effortless and deceptively smooth. Maximum power will be available as soon as you press the pedal and will be applied to a lighter vehicle in an RPM range where people actually drive (vs running a V8 at 4,500 rpm.) It will be the type of vehicle that hits 100 mph on the on-ramp before you realize what's happening.

This turbo V-8 also will be used in the new 7 series, which should be lighter than the X5/X6 and won't have the added weight of AWD. That should be very interesting.
    U have made quite a search abt the x6 since your ordering it.

BMW's published X6 acceleration is 0 - 60 in 5.3 seconds, a full 1.2 seconds faster than the 4.8i. Real world acceleration probably will be a little quicker given that BMW's published numbers are usually conservative.

Thats true 4.8 x5 has done 0 to 60 in 7+ and what they wrote were 6.5sec

By all the engine calculations that you have done will the x6 be more comfortable better ride quality better handling will be there surely.

new engine makes 450 ft-lb of torque and 400 hp at 1,800 rpm.

The normally aspirated V-8 makes peak torque of 350 ft-lbs at
    350hp and the rpm is?
  • muchkusmuchkus Member Posts: 3
    guys (and galls if any). i'm new here, but, anyway, would somebody tell if any bimmer dealers accept the pre-orders for x6. preferrably in california?
  • muchkusmuchkus Member Posts: 3
    Thank You! What was the dealer that have accepted your order? Suppose it's in another State? Not in California? In fact i live in Russia, so i will get some friend who will buy it by cash, and then export it from US. We have the bmw dealers here, but BMW Russia announced incredile EURO 69,000.00 for the base version of X35i! And the options I need totalled another EURO 35,000.00 So it will be cheaper to buy in US anyway.
  • mtech8mtech8 Member Posts: 4
    muchkus: I know Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA and most other dealers are taking an "interest/wait" list. I've called one dealer, Assael BMW Monrovia CA, who said that they are taking pre-orders right now with $1000.00 deposit. I personally doubt it since they can't give me any pricing information about the car.
  • tony411latony411la Member Posts: 17
    I currently have an X3 (my 2nd in 4 years). I like the sportiness of it and the fact that it is an SUV (SAV). However, I was thinking when my current lease is up next year, that I might get a BMW coupe. Now that the X6 is coming, I don't have to give up my SUV for a coupe. It's like they made the car for me. I can't wait to get one; although I'm a little apprehensive after hearing price speculations. Hopefully, they will have some good lease rates by the time I'm ready to get one.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I've read rumors about an X4 and the replacement for the X3 is surely going to offer the then current 3.0 TT engine. Based on my wife, our two shelties and me, we don't need the extra weight and size of either the X5 or X6.

The X4, if it is real, would probably be "perfect."

My wife just ordered her second X3 and even tho the upgrades from '05 to '08 are moderate, the new X3 is a very nice way to cross country or go to the grocery.

She almost for a half a second went with an Acadia.

Whew! Dodged that one.

The thing is, the new X6 is, in pictures at least, soooo darned good looking.
  • kiaorkao13kiaorkao13 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone here realize that its a 4-seater only??
  • pakman4pakman4 Member Posts: 3
    Just got pricing from a dealer msrp for the 6 cyl is 52,500 and 63,000 for the V8.
    Does anyone here realize that its a 4-seater only???

Yes off course thats why i think in every way x5 is the better car but exceptional if you want the looks style some think that looks different and sporty
    After all the bad side of the x6 compare to the x5 i am strangely still excited to see the x6 i am hoping to check it out this week will go with my uncle.

I think it will have a geat look compare to the x5
    Hey i was just wondering since i heard that the x6 already went on sale and you already had a order have you taken delivery of your x6 i can't wait to hear your experience.

If any1 else has also just got their new x6 congrats and plz share your experience.
    After reading others opinion finally FINALLY saw it in person i am in love with this car never seen anything like it before.

I have read before this car is similar to the infiniti fx but its totally different IMO.

It looks so much better in person than the pictures.
  • kimkaytkimkayt Member Posts: 15
    Passed an X6 on I-95 heading South this past weekend, and it's gorgeous! After having a 2 year love/hate relationship with an X-5, I am so ready to go back into the BMW family - this SAV is the perfect next choice...
    love hate huh the newer x5?

I didn't see it on road only i saw it detail by detail standing.

Never seen anything like it before never liked a car like this never before in my life.

By the way they don't call this SAV anymore its SAC ;)

Sadly i will not be able to get 1 anytime soon :cry::cry::cry:
  • dborlandodborlando Member Posts: 1
    FACTS:
    BMW's Market Target For The X-6: 6 Series and X-5 drivers.
    The X-6 is built on the X-5 platform, with a similar interior.
    Main Difference: The rear seat head room is compromised with the sharp-sloping roof line, thus being called a "sports activity coupe". If a 3rd row seat, and reduced cargo space (again because of the roof line) are not an issue, than this could be the car for you. The I-Drive software is from the 6 Series' edition (and also the latest X-5 models), which is the most preferred edition, because of its simplicity, compared to other BMW models.

OPINION: I see this BMW model competing mainly with the Audi A-3 and Infiniti FX. Yet, it's totally BMW and without a doubt, going to be a head-turner.

SUGGESTION: As a new model, lease and finance rates will most likely be uncompetitive, as well as the first run being potentially problematic (as the case with most first-run BMW's). Wait until both engines have had their first year runs, and test-drive an X-6 to make sure the interior space is not going to be an issue.
    the first run being potentially problematic (as the case with most first-run BMW's). Wait until both engines have had their first year runs, and test-drive an X-6 to make sure the interior space is not going to be an issue.

Being problematic that really makes me nervous which i am getting use to hearing abt bmw now and then. :(

The front space isn't much different than the x5 but back will certainly be not as comfy as a x5 and with only 2 seats less head room.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Have you guys sat in an x6?!!? I cant wait to see it in person i have been following that car since the first spy shots 2 years ago!! Please if anyone knows how to see one, or if any dealer has one in inventory post how to see it!
  • donchardonchar Member Posts: 56
    Any truth to the word on the street that given the lack of appeal, dealers are receiving less than their usual quota, to generate the appearance of "unavailability"? Dealers are quoting at a premium to give it the M3 type of hype?? Frankly, I'm waiting 6 months to a year before thinking about this, let someone else be the guinea pig that pays 110%!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It looks awkward in pictures and some find it hideous, but the 2008 BMW X6 50i isn't nearly as warped when you see it in person. It's kind of a supermodel from behind, with a slim, narrow roof at the top and curvaceous hips at the bottom. Designers call this sort of thing tumblehome, and an SUV without it looks like a refrigerator.

First Drive: 2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
  • javiwherejaviwhere Member Posts: 1
    Uh, I hate to say this but it looks just like the AMC Eagle of yesteryear. It really is quite a homely looking vehicle. :(
  • ethanp71ethanp71 Member Posts: 1
    I just saw one of these wrapped up in its undercover testing body panels in Westlake Village, CA over the weekend. It was sitting next to a new X5. Looked to be about the same size overall and about the same ground clearance, only the X6 was much shorter.
  • pat911pat911 Member Posts: 4
    I have to agree with the article - these are much nicer in person than in pictures. I saw one at the Detroit Auto Show and I thought it was actually very striking. The rear view is the best- it's very wide and aggressive. It might not be as utilitarian as a regular SUV, and personally I would prefer the X5, but it's actually a cool looking vehicle in person.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Leaving aside the debate over the vehicle's looks, it's the sort of vehicle that makes me wonder "what's the point?" Posts 3 & 4 both identify what's wrong with the X6 Same high stance as an SUV only without the same interior space.

So, you GIVE UP utility and GIVE UP handling and gas mileage.

Who's the target buyer?
  • pat911pat911 Member Posts: 4
    I agree that the target buyer is hard to figure, but I bet they're out there. It could be somebody who walks onto the lot looking for a 5 series, but sees this instead. Besides losing the fifth seat (and how many 5 series owners are regularly carrying five people?), it's at least as useful as a 5 series. Plus it's a lot more of an attention getter - and don't underestimate the importance of that for somebody looking to buy a BMW. Or it could be somebody who thinks the X3 is too small and the X5 too big. I don't really know who it will be. But I do know that there are a whole lot of folks out there driving Suburbans and Silverado's who don't need those either, so trying to figure out who is going to buy the X6 based solely on its measurables probably won't get you very far. It's a BMW - people will buy it.
    let someone else be the guinea pig that pays 110%!

Well i guess then some1 paid. 1 of my near neighbors got a brand new shiny bmw x6 35i in silver.

When i saw it I just wanted to stand and keep looking for a while :blush:

I am not sure but since i didn't see his merc S class I think he traded in.
    My mistake didn't traded his S class still has it.

When i use to see the picture of the x6 it felt it would be like infiniti fx but in real its a lot different but definitely not for every1.

I think family should stick with the x5.
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    the first run being potentially problematic (as the case with most first-run BMW's). Wait until both engines have had their first year runs, and test-drive an X-6 to make sure the interior space is not going to be an issue.

Being problematic that really makes me nervous which i am getting use to hearing abt bmw now and then.

The front space isn't much different than the x5 but back will certainly be not as comfy as a x5 and with only 2 seats less head room.

I just sold my BMW and it was first year model. I will NEVER buy a BMW first year model again. Too many problems and the value went down, down, and down. I lost so much money b/c of getting a bad rap. ....it's such a shame!
  • dcharledcharle Member Posts: 1
    Any truth to the word on the street that given the lack of appeal, dealers are receiving less than their usual quota, to generate the appearance of "unavailability"? Dealers are quoting at a premium to give it the M3 type of hype?? Frankly, I'm waiting 6 months to a year before thinking about this, let someone else be the guinea pig that pays 110%!

That's exactly what I heard too, production is slow either intentionally or they're having technical issues. Dealers are saying that supply will be very "limited". what a load of blatant hype. I'm not crazy about the price either. I could get a lot more car for $55-65K.
  • cntradcntrad Member Posts: 3
    We've all heard some first run horror stories. but just how common is it these days, especially with bigger brands? i would imagine that they've put the car through almost any imaginable scenario. anyways. just want to get some thoughts espcially as it relates to BMW.
    I just sold my BMW and it was first year model

Which class was it?
    Is it true that the V8 version release has been delayed several months??? Are they having problems with this model already? I'm half interested in the V8 model, but I'm beginning to think this would be a bad move.
  • pakman4pakman4 Member Posts: 3
    I just got back from test driving the X6. The six cylinder model has good acceleration and is very comfortable. I own a 2004 545 so I feel I can rate this vehicle which I would give a 9 out of 10 for ride and drive. It had the sport package and active steering.

The good: A very good turning radius, great breaks, nice sport seats, very nice fit and finish.

The Bad: I'm not so sure about the styling, but that could just be me.

If I optioned the six cylinder the way I want it, it would list around 63k.

The eight would be around 74k.

The dealer said the eight is scheduled to be out in October.
    This will make you the first person test driving the x6 here.

So will you be getting the x6?

How good is the acceleration 0 to 60 in your opinion?

I am beginning to think how good is the v8 than the inline 6 cylinder just faster :confuse:

From what i heard the v8 will be available in july !!!
    I just test drove one an hour ago. I was so psyched about this car before today. Overall it's a niche car, and you'll feel either extreme bout the styling, kinda like the TT when it first came out. Acceleration wise, you could feel the pull for about 2.5 secs. but for some odd reason, 2nd gear was extremely sluggish. Not sure what happened. Interior is definitely smaller than expected. Standard features are bare, and expect to pay about 20% of base for a nicely loaded. At that price point, it's way overpriced for what it offers. I think I'm not going move forward with this car. It's too much wow at first and blah after.
    Thanks for the review.

What was the 0 to 60 ?

So I assume you won't be getting this car then what are your other choices?

I think the new infiniti fx50 will be nice

There is always a cayenne which people say is ugly :confuse:

It's too much wow at first and blah after.

Really that doesn't sound nice abt this SAC.
  • donchardonchar Member Posts: 56
    Ok. I'm deciding between the V8 and a used Cayenne turbo S (2006). They will price out within 5% of each other. I need advice. Which would be better overall value?