Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    What happened to March?
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    I have always said that the 2003 4 Runner will start production in March with arrival at US dealerships in April.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    March now equals April? Here is a small re-cap from "Buzzlight" and "Cliffy1". Decide for yourself.

--------------------------------------------------

#1045 of 1352 2003 4 Runner by buzzlight Jan 18, 2002 (05:56 pm)
    The 2003 4 Runner will be a complete re-design and it will be out in March. You will not find this info on their web site, as they still have 2002s to sell. Toyota, also, wants to release the 4 runner before the Honda Pilot comes out. I don't think that the Highlander has been as successful as Toyota had hoped. Also, expect Toyota to keep prices down on the 4 runner to compete with the new Honda.

#1134 of 1352 Re: The New 4 Runner by buzzlight Jan 31, 2002 (04:28 pm)
    As I predicted, the next generation 4 Runner will not be based on the Lexus. The 2003 4 Runner WILL be release in March, as I have previously posted.

#1268 of 1352 Cliffy...Where's the Apology. by buzzlight Feb 26, 2002 (06:01 pm)
    Cliffy, I expect to see a written apology when the 2003 4 Runners arrive next month.

#1269 of 1352 BUZZ by cliffy1 Feb 26, 2002 (06:10 pm)
    Apologize for what? Sharing the information I have? What are you going to do when they don't arrive in March?
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    >Can you shed some light about any additional cost that the new 4 Runner may have?
    >Also, will the V-8 be standard or an option?
    >can you secretly grab a photo of the new 4 Runner

I realize that many in here are interested in the new 4Runner, and so am I. But to tell the truth, there isn't much interest by others in the company. New types of vehicles (like the Matrix) or new plant openings (like Alabama & Baja California) are more the rage. I don't have, and can't seem to get, any pricing or option information. Cliffy will be able to provide that better than me, since he's at a dealership.

My personal interest is in the 3rd seat and V-8. The V-8 will definitely be available. Standard? My guess is that it will be standard in the Limited and optional in the SR5.

A photo? I was in a presentation for the remodeled Camry last year, and there was a really nice shot of it. I asked for and received a copy of the PowerPoint presentation, which I immeditately went through. Guess what; the nice photo had been removed. I tried to get them to let me check out the 4Runner video I saw, but no deal. Only certain people have physical access to photos and videos. I'm not one of them; they just let me watch them - strictly hands off.

>WOULD YOU SAY THAT THE NEW TRUCK IS BIGGER THAN THE CURRENT MODEL?

Personally, I'd like to see it have a longer wheelbase, and if they go with the 3rd seat I'd think they would have to. But as I said before, I don't have any statistics. If I can find out anything I'll post it, but it's difficult to get info on vehicles made in Japan.

Last week I happened to be talking to a contact at one of the ports on the West coast. (Ports are where the cars arrive when they come from overseas.) I asked this person if they could tell me if any new model 4Runners were coming in March or April. The response was that they aren't even making them yet, let alone shipping. The schedule in my previous post is the information they provided to me, which I passed along in this forum.
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    Clify, why do insist on misleading everyone. We both know that the new 4 Runner is on its way. I realize you are a commissioned salesman, but you should not mislead. Do you make more money on each 2002 4 Runner which you sell?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you've spent any time around Town Hall at all, you know that Cliffy1 has been off the show room floor for months (something about a boat anchor I think!). He still works for a dealer, but doesn't sell cars anymore (just warranties and stuff you buy from the finance guys). Right Cliffy?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    You are correct, even about the boat anchor. I am baffled at why Buzz continues to focus on me since I was not the one who posted the build out schedule that contradicts his "source." He claims I am misleading people on this subject but misses the fact that I have always qualified my statements by telling people what my sources are and allow readers to draw their own conclusion about the validity. Buzz is so convenienced he is right, his head might explode on April 30th (or is it March 31) if the new Runners are not here.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Troll. Oops, I mean Buzz. I don't know if you're a 14 year old kid or just some lonely individual with nothing better to do, but please go away. You have backed up nothing you have said. When someone calls you on it, all you try to do is turn the tables on the individual and redirect the discussion. Fact is your "source" has never been identified. As best as I can recall you have never identified who you are and why you have "sources". You're growing tiresome. Put up or shut up.

Hang in there Cliffy. Even if Buzz happens to be correct, which I strongly doubt, you still rock.

By the way Cliffy, how did the whole anchor mishap turn out? Are you back to full speed?
  • austin18austin18 Member Posts: 11
    These forums are designed for exchanging information. Not name calling! You should know better.
    Yes I admit I should know better. Buzz just grates on my nerves. Consider my rant therapeutic. If I offended anyone I apologize.

However, the fact remains that the information exchange has only amounted to unsubstantiated speculation. And when pushed, Buzz resorts to attacks and never, not once, has backed up the comments with facts or sources.
  • kanerkaner Member Posts: 6
    Why are the dealers in NJ accepting deposits on the 2003 if Buzz is wrong? They say it will be out end of this month.
    "kaner" If they are taking deposits, can you tell me what the prices are and if they have a V8? Or are they just putting money down to be the first in-line?
    About when the 2003 comes in, I have checked the Southeast inventory and quite a few 2002's are coming on March 24. That would at least suggest, no new model in early April. In fact it may still be a ways off.
    It has been my experience in life, when people are absolutely sure about something, they usually aren't. And when people give you what they know and realize it their may be variables, listen to them. "cliffy1" has given quite a few dates and then says it is wrong, Toyota has made it a later date. I don't think, Cliffy would be upset if they come in next week. So, my best guess, it is still awhile. Still if I was in the market, I would wait for the new ones and if I wanted the older model, I would buy now. If you get near the end of the model year, their are less choices of the older models.
    Bottom line, I were in the market, I would probably wait, not only is the new 4Runner coming out but quite a few other models are coming. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's okay to criticize positions but let's steer clear of the ad hominem attacks!

Thanks!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Thanks for asking on the notorious boating incident. I am at about 95% but still get bruising and swelling in the right ankle. I also made an investment in a "wreck anchor" to prevent further calamities.
    If I were still on the floor and had a customer that refused to consider buying a 2002, I might just be tempted to "take them out of the market" by accepting a deposit on a 2003. That prevents them from buying a competing product. It prevents them from going to another store when the 2003 comes out. It locks them into me. I might even tell customers that there will be no more than a 4% price increase. If I am wrong, all I must do is refund the deposit. If the customer gets anxious when the car fails to materialize, I would make up some story about why they were delayed. Something like, "Well, Toyota just will not release them as long as we have so many 202's left. Are you sure I can't interest you in one of those?"

Don't believe that happens?
    My God man, didn't that mishap occur during the summer? That is a mightly long road back.
    Yes, but you'd be amazed how much tension you can put on 100 feet of 3/8" rope by pulling it with a 225 HP engine. When it snapped (actually the knot slipped) all the tension released on my ankle. I'm lucky to still have a foot and an undamaged boat.

Now, I only notice it if I am on my feet all day. Its not enough to keep me from many days of fishing this year so don't feel too bad for me.
    That's good. At least you won't be in too much pain later this month (er, I mean April) when you start writing up all of the financing papers for those 2003 4Runners that are going to be flying off your lot. :)
    ...as I was driving home, I started thinking about the accusation that I was somehow hiding the release date because I would profit from the 2002. This is really a funny one. We don't make a lot of money on the 2002s. We take very short deals, unless it is some odd ball variant that we don't get often. Most of them go out within a few hundred of invoice. As a finance guy, it is even worse because they have the discounted financing. This makes it very difficult for me to make money on my end.

When the 2003 comes out, we will probably have a waiting list of customers willing to pay MSRP for several months. If this thing is as good as I suspect, we'll have a repeat of '96 when it took nearly two years for the price to drop to $2000 over invoice. We in the dealerships can't wait for the new ones to arrive. Wishful thinking will not accelerate this process though.
  • kloo17kloo17 Member Posts: 1
    My radio no longer works on my 97 4runner after I changed the car battery. The radio's anti-theft feature kicked in and I forgot my anti-theft code (which I set almost 6 years ago). Suggestions on how to get my radio working again?

Thanks in advance.
  • jacksonmjacksonm Member Posts: 6
    My dealer tells me that there will be NO REDESIGN UNTIL 2004. I called Toyota and they confirmed this. Buzz says next month, Cliffy says August and Toyota says not at all for the next year and a half. I guess I will need to look at the GM triplets......
  • mikeintnmikeintn Member Posts: 39
    Hey Cliffy, sorry to hear about the ankle, but glad you are okay.

MIKEinTN
  • poppadoc1poppadoc1 Member Posts: 11
    DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY GOOD WEB SITES FOR PRIVATE SALE AUTO DEALS? IT SEEMS LIKE A WIN WIN FOR BOTH PARTIES CONCERNED. THE SELLER GETS MUCH MORE THAN TRADE IN VALUE WHILE THE BUYER PAYS MUCH LESS THEN DEALERSHIP PRICES. IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY SITE I GO TO IS 95% DEALERS. AUTOS .COM WAS PRETTY GOOD BUT EVIDENTLY THEY ARE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED.........................................................................THANKS
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Yes, there are several. I sold mine on www.autotraders.com but it was also listed on www.cars.com. They will both charge you about $20. Make sure to get the "run it till it sells" option if they offer it.
  • twigglestwiggles Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I have been in the market for an SUV. We have a dog and are expecting. We've looked at several SUVs and really hadn't thought of the 4Runner until recently. It has more room than what we thought. I've been reading the reports/comments and agree the dash is out dated and hard to get in and out of. Anyone with kids - any problems getting the enfant carriers in and out. Also I keep reading about the 2003 - any ideas on when it will be arriving or preview. Thanks!
  • brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    Sorry to disappoint those of you who would like to see the 2003 4Runners coming out in the near future but I just took a look at the inventory list at the Virginia dealership where I bought my 2001 and they have more 2002's in stock right now than they've had in months. It would make sense to bleed the inventory down prior to the 2003's release. That is, unless they want to have a fire sale on the 2002's. Doubt it.
    Traderonline is a good one, as is e-bay. I bought my '91 MR2 based on a private party add on traderonline.com
  • leodogsleodogs Member Posts: 23
    Hypothesis: I represent a significant number of potential SUV customers facing the same dilemma. I need to buy a new vehicle. I would like to purchase a 2003 4runner. I will wait if Toyota tells me it's going to be available in the forseable future. If they can't give me an approximate date I'll look elsewhere. Accepting this scenario as fairly common place, why won't Toyota announce a date? My guess is that they want to sell as many 2002s as possible and they are willing to gamble (or project) that's where they stand to make the most (at the risk of losing potential 2003 customers).What say you?
    The "official" word from Toyota is intentionally vague. The reason is, they don't want to cause problems for the dealers who are trying to get rid of the 2002s. Think of it this way: You are a businessman and own a Toyota franchise. As part of your agreement, you take the cars that Toyota wants you to sell. You end up with a fair number of vehicles that you know will be obsolete the moment the new ones arrive. You are not too worried because you still have 6 months to bleed down your inventory. Then, Toyota announces that the new one will be out on such and such a date and will have the following improvements (insert list here). Whereas before, only a small and devoted group of people had a small amount of information about the upcoming model, now the whole world knows. What will happen to your profits? How hard will it now be to dump your existing inventory?

One thing I will suggest you do is to go back and read the post by Rward99. The terms he uses (build out etc.) are correct. It sounds to me like he is reading the official build out schedule which includes production start on the 2003. I've seen these documents before, but never on a model that was due for this level of change. I believe it is authentic. If it is, you will see the 2003 by late summer to early fall.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Who releases SUV's in Spring? Why would you? If it didn't come out first of the year, it will come out first of fall, that's how ALL SUV's are released. It's not a covertible! If inventories for the 4Runner are extremely high, than a redesign is at least 3-4 months away. I used to work at a Ford Dealer, and before the new Expedition, three months before, the lot held over 100 (!) units. And the lot only carried 700 cars! Bet on a September release, like most cars. The Highlander is doing well, theydon't need to rush it to market.
    Cliffy, I read your post about "rward99" and the "Official Build Out Schedule". Here is a part of what he said:

"#1329 of 1381 2003 4Runner..... by rward99 Mar 06, 2002 (10:27 am)
    2002 Buildout - June
    New vehicle build starts - July
    Vehicles to US dealerships - August
    Available to purchase - September "

You said you heard unofficially this Fall and now I have to agree with you, "rward99" is giving some exact info. Given that a lot of 2002 4Runners are ordered in the next few weeks and you and "reward99" are close, I would say that would be my best guess as well. Of course we all know things can change. Keep up the good work.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the new 4Runner will at the NY Auto Show at the end of this month?

I remember last year, Toyota had both the Highlander and the new Rav4 at the NY Auto Show, well before either had hit the streets.

Bob
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    I guess they don't want it publicized! Must be a covert op.......
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Bob: The 2nd generation RAV4 had been out about 6 months prior to the last (April 2001) NYC Intl auto show.
    The Highlander may have been a true preview at that show, however.

-ss4
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    I just received my latest allocation and guess what ?? More 2002 4Runners.

From following this board I would place total faith in what rward (and cliffy) has said. The info he has access to seems right on.

I still think they will show up at time of the annual dealer meeting....September 8-10
    You may be right on the Rav4 regarding last year's NY Auto Show. I don't remember when it hit the streets. I do know the Highlander was there, well ahead of when it reached the dealers. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new 4Runner also showed up, even if it won't be available until fall.

Bob
    Yes, but the Highlander didn't compete with anything in our line-up at the time. The 2003 Runner obviously does. It may be there, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    True, but Honda announced the Pilot with still a good 6 months left of still having to sell the Passport—which leads me to think that Toyota just might announce the new 4Runner, so as to keep any current 4Runner owners from switching to the new Honda. If they know what Toyota is going to offer, they may be less willing to switch brands...

Bob
    I hope you're right. We'll see.
    Here is another opinion on what the new 4Runner will be based on. As any article, take it with a grain of salt.

http://detnews.com/2002/autoshowguide/0201/11/-388652.htm

• heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    I just got back from my local Toyota dealer. They had just received their first allocation of the new 2003 4Runners. All I can say is WOW!!! The new 4 Runner is absolutely awesome. It doesn't look anything like the 2002. I took it for a test drive and, uh, oh, nevermind. I was just dreaming...
  • shawnandtshawnandt Member Posts: 15
    If the new runner and the New Lexus aren't built off the same chassis, Toyota would be making a 180% turn from every other Toyo/Lexus platform sharing policy! Camry/ES300 Highlander/RX300 Land Cruiser/LX470, need I say more. Just as Acura first unveiled the MDX before the PILOT, Expect Toyota to do the same. The runner(in lexus form) is before us.
    Peter,

The picture of the new Lexus GX470 does look an a lot like a slightly larger 4Runner.

It looks pretty good and while I am not privy to any info, I'd bet the new 4Runner will look a lot like it. I think shawnandt's analogy of Acura unveiling the MDX before the Honda Pilot being similar to Lexus unveiling the GX470 before the new 4Runner makes a lot of sense.

One thing is for sure, the car business is always interesting.
  • shawnandtshawnandt Member Posts: 15
    The below site will in fact show you (in Lexus dressing) the 03's Runners interior. Note the carry over switch gear for p-windows/locks on the door. Four-wheel engagement lever is also a carry over. Appears the interior width is slightly wider, but not much. As I find more pic's I'll share.
    http://www.wawawoum.com/images/japon/lexus/index.htm
    vr, shawnandt
    http://www.velocityjrnl.com/cgi-bin/wi.cgi?i=4469
    http://www.infomotori.com/news/a_29_IT_860_3.asp
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I'm getting no respect.
    those fold-up 3rd row seats. They create a huge blind spot if you're looking over your right shoulder. It's a very poor solution.

I wish the 3rd row seats folded into the floor like the MDX, the new Pilot, the new Explorer and new Expedition. This is a MUCH better solution than what Lexus has offers.

I know Toyota, Mitsubishi and others have offered this fold-up seat solution for "years." Well, I will agree... it is an "old" solution.

Bob
    The French pictures show the rear door opening to the side, not a lift hatch, similar to the Monterro. I wonder if it will be this way on the new 4Runner.

The fold up third row seats don't look that great. I am not an unbiased observer, but I think the fold down third row in my Acura MDX are much more useful.

Still, a nice improvement of the current 4Runner.
    Fold up third row seating? I hope that isn't the case with the new 4Runner. That in and of itself would be a show stopper for me. I'd even rather have to take the seats out than have that as a solution.
    the rear door either.

Unless there's a tire hanging on the rear door (which there isn't on the Lexus), a rear door makes no sense. And, because it's Japanese, it opens to the curb, not the street—exactly the wrong way for us folks here in America. Plus, you don't get any weather protection like you do with a hatch—and it could be difficult to open if you're parallel parked, with someone on your rear bumper.

These are DUMB decisions on Lexus's part. I hope the 4Runner offers a rear hatch, and fold-into-the-floor 3rd seating.

Bob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    4Runner recall

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards