Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda CR-Z

Comments

• englishpeteenglishpete Member Posts: 42
    I think that your right and we should give Honda the chance to come up with the goods on this car, Only hope its not going to get shelved,
    We had the news here today that the UK Motor show has been canceled because the manufactures can not afford to go so new models may well get the same treatment.
    Liked the link by the way, here is on for you to check out.

http://foreman.blogs.topgear.com/2009/02/17/honda-crz-keeps-the-flag-flying/
  • alwinaugustinalwinaugustin Member Posts: 5
    Hi

That blog was very nice .Thanks for giving me the link.Ofcourse this automobile indusytry is under some unique pressure due to the recession and they people will be busy with the bailout etc rather than the concepts and shows.They may be in search for a concept that may rescue themselves.he he.So I think there may be a chance to cancel more hows.Anyway it is sad to hear that the prestegious motor show is not there.Also it is intresting to know that Honda had a plan for building non-hybrid version.Yes Toyota displayed a number of concept vehilcles in thier website http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/ both hybrid and non hybrid.

Thanks for visiting my blog and please tell about it to others(even though it is not worth for that).
    Take a close look at the VW Scirocco and you can see the CRZ who copied who?
    As the Scirocco is a production car and has been for some time think maybe Honda may have copied VW.
    The CRZ has the same lines as the VW right down to the windows, the front is not a million miles from apart in design ether.
    The rear is better than the CRZ and with its wide track and its four seats is a better car.
    With a choice of petrol or diesel the later giving 56 mpg and a sports performance think Honda have been caught with their pants down with the CRZ
    The Scirocco has spent two years as a concept as has the CRZ the Scirocco has been in the market place for the last eight months.
    I rest my case.
    If you are fed up with waiting for Honda to bring the CRZ to its show rooms (like me) buy a VW Scirocco
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    ...but only if you are in Europe, because us less worthy Americans don't have the choice of buying a Scirocco. We hang on blindly to the dim hope that Honda will yet pleasantly surprise us with the new CRZ.......

The Scirocco is a larger car just like the GTI, and I don't think that makes it a better car. Honda is trying to copy cues from the last-gen CRX, which is why the back looks the way it does, and of course the front is mimicking the new family look from the Civic and Insight a little bit. In a performance coupe, how different are two competing models going to look in the side windows?

If I wanted a GTI, I could buy one of those right now. I want something a bit more different from the pack, please, and preferably less porky.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Sorry you can not get this car in your neck of the woods,
    I agree with your statement about being a little more porky and wanting something that stands out but I want a new car, I own a Honda now if I had some details of the CRZ (like when can I buy one what will it look like) then I would wait, but if this car is a disappointment and does not come up to the mark I would have wasted time and I could have been driving something that ticks all the boxes.
    Think Honda have been to slow off the mark getting details out for the CRZ let alone the car.

Some how don’t see Honda fitting electronic adaptive and ajusterble suspension as standard and giving the option of leather upholstery plus all the goodies that come as standard on the GT model all for just over £20,000 which is the projected price for the CRZ.
    Hope Honda don’t let you down.
    Oh they probably will by leaving out the stick shift option, but in that case I have Subaru in my back pocket for "plan B". I will go the extra $$ and get a WRX. There's still the possibility of that new RWD coupe they were working on too.

But perhaps Honda will still pleasantly surprise me. Luckily for me, I can afford to wait 18 months and see what is forthcoming in Fall 2010.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Subaru sounds fine to me looks nice.
    There have been some events in the last week or so that might make Honda change its plans for hybrid cars,
    Here in the UK (and the EU to follow) the government is talking of offering up to £5000 towards the cost of a new car if it is electric or if it’s a plug in hybrid. This puts Honda on the back foot as the batteries and motor on their hybrids are small and no were near powerful enough to drive on electric power only let alone plug in.
    I see also that the US have an all electric car coming out.
    Honda is going to have to play catch up the market is changing fast,
    As for us petrol heads I think you will be better off with your Subaru and I my VW
    As for us petrol heads I think you will be better off with your Subaru and I my VW

You may be right, but it was a pleasant dream, wasn't it? That Honda would build a proper successor to the CRX? Instead, we get a 3-door Insight, as it appears now. And that's not a very interesting prospect.

Bring the 1.8 gas and 6MT, Honda!!!!

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    What I'd like to see is coupe and roadster versions of the Fit.
    You mean a roadster with a fold down metal roof, every one else makes them but its a bit to radical for Honda, You will not get one, there are only into building old mens cars now, No S2000 nothing sporty at all, and if we ever see the CRZ ?.what will it be like.
    Try BMW,VW, Peugeot,Ford,Audi,Volvo,Mazda need i go on they all make them.
    I wouldn't have minded seeing a 3 door Fit as the CRZ, with the Fit powertrains and a MUCH better handling package, a la CRX. It would have to have a much lower roofline of course. That would have been a true spiritual successor to the CRX, which never had a ton of power after all, even in the SI.

"You mean a roadster with a fold down metal roof..."

I prefer fabric roofs to metal ones, because the proportions look better to me. In addition, fabric roofs have a weight and cost advantage. Of course, metal tops offer better security, but to me the tradeoffs aren't worth it. Regardless, I think it's idle chatter because I agree with you that Honda won't offer a small roadster.
    My thoughts exactly, but Honda isn't going to give us what we want.
    Well thought I would let you know I have placed an order for a Scirocco GT TDI 170 this being the latest variant to be offered by VW. It’s the same engine that’s being supplied for the new Golf GTD and is in the Audi TT TDI.
    0 to 62 in 8 seconds and 60 to the gallon do we really need hybrids?
    The car looks better in the metal. pictures don’t do it justice.

Not rubbing salt into the wounds but got fed up with Honda and the lack of information, I think Honda are in deep trouble. They have only just reopened the plant here in the uk after 6 months closer, most of what they make here goes for export to the rest of Europe.
    I hope Honda don’t go under but they should do their best to preserve what costumers that are loyal to them by producing cars their costumers want.
    From Automotive News, 9/30...

"The front-wheel-drive car pairs Honda's integrated motor assist hybrid system with a 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine and six-speed manual transmission. Honda hasn't announced fuel economy figures. The CR-Z is billed as the spiritual successor to Honda's popular CR-X."

Unless it's a misprint, the CR-Z will have a manual transmission after all. Does this still leave a tiny doubt as to whether the manual will also be available in the U.S.?
    It's also printed here
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090930/TOKYO/909309998
    and I trust Auto News to be careful with their quotes from press releases, so I'm elated - CRZ WILL have a manual transmission!

Now the only worry is that it will be only for the home market, where it goes on sale first, and not for the U.S.

There's a new pic at that link too. Even though it is fairly obviously a shortened 2-seat version of the Insight, they have made it look good, and curb weight should be down from the Insight with any luck, given the reduced size.

We will have it in a year or so - I hope it finds enough sales for them to keep it on the market here. I still see used CRXs all over the place, and the newest models of that car are close to 20 years old now.

Oh, and BTW, the design is getting mixed reviews at that Autoweek link. Someone has suggested that they offer a CRZ SI using the 200 hp engine from the current Civic SI, and if they did that I would just DIE. I would be first in line, camping out at the dealership for an SI like that!

But if it's a proper manual with the Insight powerplant and pulls 45-50 mpg, and has the handling of a CRX, I will be more than satisified too. :-)

Try these links dont know if we will get more info in the uk
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Honda-Concepts/243692/
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/242563/hybrid_crz_turns_up_hea- t.html.
    Took delivery of my new Scirocco last week its a dream so glad Honda could not get the CRZ on sale
    I wonder about the weight distribution of this short FWD hybrid. Will it be similar to the traditional ~60% front. 40% rear? For handling purposes it would be good if the weight over the front wheels were no more, and preferably a little less than 60%. Much less than 60% up front could result in traction problems, while much more would hurt handling.

Personally, I'd prefer the following two engine choices in place of the hybrid: A naturally aspirated, direct injection 1.3 for economy, and a turbocharged version for performance. That's because I remain skeptical of the cost, complexity, weight and space efficiency issues associated with hybrids. Maybe my concerns will prove frivolous.
    I am right there with you - I'm no hybrid fan either. But I will accept one if it's that or no CRZ. I am assuming that with the battery pack in the back, this thing will be a little closer to 50/50 for weight distribution, although it will undoubtedly still skew towards the front.

englishpete: lucky you for living in the UK! In the U.S. we don't get to choose from the best cars made by foreign automakers, we make do with their scraps and 26,000 SUV choices. :sick:

(And yes, that DOES mean we don't get the Scirocco either)

I just feel so fortunate that Honda is even bringing the CRZ to the States.

• erik25erik25 Member Posts: 2
    The first intend for this car was to make a hybrid that can by sporty looking and driving,so people who want the "old crx" back are on the wrong thought.Ofcourse if Honda would listen to his costumers and look at forums ;) ,they could sell a lot more cars,not that old looking and dull driving cars they make now.The CR-Z could be a nice start for Honda to get some custumers back again who went to other brands for better looking cars.I'm still thinking of the insight but when this coupe has more power with better milage and more fun to drive i can wait for it.Hope they don't price it to high,otherwise it's still not gonna happen for Honda. ;)
    130ish hp in a 2500-pound car is a decent start though. ;-)

I would LOVE to see this car with the SI's 200 hp powertrain.

Even a hotted-up DI version of the regular Civic's 1.8, at around 160 hp, would be a lot of fun.

To me 130 hp is sufficient for this car to be fun to drive if the handling and feel are superb. I think fuel economy is an important goal for this model, not blistering acceleration, which is probably why Honda is staying with a small displacement engine. With 200 hp or more in a small car, I'd want RWD. That could be the production version of the Toyota FT-86.
    Hi Sorry you dont get the choice that we get in the uk, what has happened to what was the worlds best car makers? the US led the world with some of the best cars ever made :cry:
    Dont understand why you dont get what we can your one of the worlds biggest markets. :confuse:
    As For the CRZ it looks like a 1.5 engine manual box no turbo and the lithium iron batteries are also going to be changed for a cheaper type.
    The CRZ is going on sale in Japan in February 2010 and will be in the UK by spring.
    The price will be set to be in compertion with the Sirocco which is at the moment about £21,000 for the 1.4 petrol (by the way the 1.4 is 160 HP engine) so i think you will see a price of £19,000 or a bouts (you can convert this to US $ and get a cost).
    I will still follow the progress of the CRZ as i still have a soft spot for Honda.
    I know I did...Honda has made it official that the production CRZ will debut at Detroit in January, and it will definitely be a 2-seater, despite the concept car having a back seat.

They are calling it "a sporty, hybrid coupe with unique value", which gives me hope that it will start around $20K rather than the much-higher price some have speculated on.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091021/TOKYO/910219997

Dont Think that the production model lives up to the concept it seems to have got smaller and lost some lines but at least its a 1.5 and manual, seating looks ok but again nothing like the concept.
    Looks-wise, it's a 2-door Insight, which is kind of what I expected when I heard the two would be based on the same platform.

I just hope they get the handling package right, that's what will matter most to me. All the current hybrids suck in the handling department.

has some pretty decent pics:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-shows/tokyo/2011_honda_cr-z/gallery

The interior is basically going to use some pieces from the Civic and more from the Fit - nothing new there. Almost exactly like the interior of the Insight.

I assume the rims will get smaller than these pics when this thing arrives next fall, but I like its look from every angle except the rear, and I can live with the rear - it looks very similar to the original Insight to me. Those long skinny mirrors need to go though - I am going to bang those on the first drive-thru window I visit! :blush:

I think if Honda remove any more from this car it will cease to appeal, its got shorter and lost some of its lines that made it look good, with the shortness of the wheel base now it would look good with a soft top, but no chance of that.
    The inside i could live with.
    Dont think it will tempt me away from my VW Scirocco although the Honda dealer i still see thinks it might,
    Due in the UK April/May last i heard.
    Be interesting to see the replacment for the S2000 but i think i will be in an old folks home by the time Honda get round to that one. :sick:
    Word is they shortened the wheelbase to improve handling, and in a 2-seater I don't see it mattering that much from a practical standpoint, whereas it could significantly improve handling. The 100 inches of wheelbase on a regular Insight might be a bit much for the CRZ.

Supposedly this puppy is due in late fall next year in the States.

If we could get a diesel Scirocco here, that would be in SERIOUS contention to take the CRZ's place in my garage. Alas, all we get is the diesel Golf, which lifts its wheel and flops on its side every chance it gets....my Echo handles almost as well.

Hi Nippononly
    agree with what you say about the wheel base, if you look at the BMW Z4 your see where I am at.
    I don’t know why you don’t have the option of the Scirocco can only think its down to production numbers, Its only made in one plant in Portugal and has to share the line with the with the Eos.
    Do you not get the Golf GTD it has the same engine as mine a 2 liter TDI 170 BHP diesel,
    I have driven this also and its only slightly slower than the 2 liter petrol TSI but with excellent fuel economy. You would not know its diesel to hear or its performance.
    When I buy a car I have one rule German or Japanese, but I tell you this service is far better from the [non-permissible content removed] garages :shades:
    Nope, we get the 140 hp version of the Golf TDI, and it doesn't get the handling package of the GTI like the GTD does over there.

There is now an S-Line A3 TDI whih might be quite entertaining, but at well over $30K, it's out of my range.....

Hi happy New Year to you,
    The engine in the S3 is the one that’s fitted to my Scirocco I can get it remaped from 170 to 210 but I think I would have problems with staying in contact with the road because of the torque as I have problems in the wet now, can now see why when they put this in the Audi TT its four wheel drive.
    The TDI 140 is indeed rubbish i have driven this also but this to can be remaped to 170 but its not the same as the prodution 170 (turbo is bigger for a start).
    You might want to hang on a bit and save up for the VW blue sport this one was at the Detroit Motor show and could well go in to production, it’s a two seata mid engine diesel sports car and it sounds like it will have the TDI 170 version engine.
    You have waited god knows how long for the CRZ this looks like more fun and is a soft top, I would certainly give this a go if it goes on sale.
    Check out the link.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/233416/vw_bluesport_at_detroit- .html
    Hi You might want to look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fLWInx5uM
    youtube has a number of clips
    the NAIAS debut:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/11/detroit-2010-honda-cr-z-promises-to-bring-dri- ving-joy-to-the-hy

It looks better in its finished form, I think. Rims will be 16s or 17s. Reminds me more of the old CRX in these pics. Mileage isn't so great for a hybrid but better than anything else that's gas-only, and they promise exceptional handling, and the peak torque is available at 1000 rpm.

I will ask the same question here I asked elsewhere: why didn't they publish the curb weight, what with all the other specs they provided? They had better have kept it under 2500 pounds.

They specifically mention the 6-speed, with 1-5 geared for performance and 6th for economical high speed cruising.

Hi are you near to Detroit you could pop up and have a look to see if it was worth the wait.
    Think it looks better in white, black might look good to. the wheels are 16" and 17 is an option
    Have a look at this site it might have a bit more info.

http://naias.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=504
    Detroit? No, I'm in California. I could see it in white, but I am rather hoping they offer it in some of the more interesting colors you can get the Fit in, like that blazing orange or whatever it's called.

It'll be interesting to see how the CR-Z compares with the Civic coupe, in terms of driving fun, value and cost of ownership. The CR-Z will get more attention and media coverage, but the Civic may be a smarter choice. I say this because I'm not convinced that the tradoffs on hybrids are positive.

Anybody know when the next generation Civic will be introduced?
    It is supposed to be late this year, but Honda has been so mum on this I wonder if it won't be delayed a year.

SI coupe should be a similarly-priced CRZ competitor, with about a 10-mpg disadvantage for me personally. I am hoping the handling will be similar.

I was thinking the Civic EX coupe. 26/34 mpg with manual, 25/36 with automatic. Besides decent mileage, it's less expensive to buy, and is lighter and less complex than the CR-Z. In addition, it's got a back seat, for occasional use. That would be an easy choice for me.
    Really, the soft and squishy EX coupe? Well, if that's what you want, there's no contest. But why consider a purpose-built handler like the CRZ in the first place then?

I am actually hoping the CRZ is a BETTER handler, with even better steering feel, than the Civic SI. The lifeless electric steering of the lesser Civics is out of the running for me.

I drove an '07 Civic EX sedan for about one hour, but that was a round trip in the city. I didn't notice a problem with the electric power steering, but that may be because I was just driving the car normally while chatting with the owner, and not testing it. I value good steering feel, so thanks for tipping me off on the EX coupe.

I'll wait to see some test results before passing judgment on the CR-Z.
    I'm not just talking about the Civic EX's steering, I'm talking also about the soft and squishy handling.

The slalom numbers will be the most important stat on the CRZ that I will be looking for once it arrives.

What vibes do you get on the Fiesta?

I'd like to see Scion come out with an updated version of the xA, but chances are it won't happen.
    I think Scion is on its way to extinction in a few years' time.

The Fiesta should offer the CRZ a run for its money in top trim, but that one WON'T get anywhere near the mileage the CRZ will and WILL cost about the same as the CRZ. So then it becomes a question of the looks (kinda prefer the Fiesta) and those back seats (no preference in my case).

And let's not forget the CRZ will have a Honda shifter, an item unmatched in excellence in the western world! :-)

is reporting 2670 pounds for curb weight:

http://www.insideline.com/honda/cr-z/2011/2011-honda-cr-z-sport-hybrid-2010-detr- oit-auto-show.html

Also, the rear end is torsion-beam, not independent. :-(

This might not be all that I had hoped.

It might also be cheaper than expected, as a result. That would be a small plus, but I am hoping for a really fun car here....

Are you sure the CR-Z will have conventional (hydraulic?) power steering, and not the Insight's electric power steering?
    I thought I read somewhere it would have electro-hydraulic steering, a sort of hybrid of the two, but regardless, if it is electric, they had better do a MUCH better job of providing road feel and steering feedback than they did in the Insight, or it will be a complete non-starter for me.....

seems to be mostly one of disappointment:

When the Honda CR-Z Concept was presented at the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show last October, the reception among enthusiasts on Edmunds' Inside Line was upbeat and hopeful, with readers offering comments like "Woot!" and "Should get CRAZY high gas mileage!" and "This is the perfect car for me."

....Early reactions include, "Color me disappointed" and "They completely butchered the concept " and even "This makes my soul hurt."

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this one:
    In particular, the design's long front nose draws a series of barbs, including "Holy front overhang Batman!" and "That's one horrid rhinoplasty" and "Literally the ugliest profile shot of a car that I have ever seen."

The overhang is awful at the front - this is one of those cars like from the 80s that will scrape the front skirt on EVERY driveway, EVERY speed bump...

As for the performance vs fuel economy, I think we ought to wait and see what it can really do. Because it is pretty impossible to see how fuel economy could be this low in a car as slow as the Insight. I think the manual will be geared very much for speed, and 8 seconds or less to 60 mph might be more the level it's on. Which would be satisactory in a car I could get low 40s mpg in.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/01/buzz-kill-for-2011-honda-cr-z-sport-hybrid-f- rom-tokyo-to-detroit.html#more

Have you read Edmunds' test of the Fiesta? They're enthusiastic about it. According to Edmunds, the Fiesta sets new benchmarks in some areas for its class, including steering dynamics. Plus, it's up there with the leaders on fuel economy.

The difference in the annual cost of gasoline between the Fiesta and the CR-Z wouldn't be much.
    It sounds like Honda might have blown there chances with this car before it hits the road, The fuel figures don’t look good nether the kerb weight think the concept of a hybrid sports might be the undoing of this car.
    The 1.5 v tec engine is a good power unit I had it in my old civic aerodeck but got better mileage than the CRZ and that was heavier. You can have power and economy
    With the power and fuel consumption I get from my new Scirocco 2lt 170 TDI I think Honda might have missed a trick.

I have seen the CRZ at the 2008 London motor show and it looked good, I loved more the so called S2000 roadster concept (see link) that made its one and only appearance never to be seen again.
    Why do it? make a mockup of a car show it to the public to wet there appetites only to take it away, to me it says “we know what you really want buy but try this half a car instead”.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/22/london-2008-honda-osm-concept-roadster-says-c- - heerio