Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Heating Cooling Problems

lemonowner08lemonowner08 Member Posts: 36
edited August 2015 in GMC
Here I am again, really hoping I could change my user name. I drove my Acadia to another town about 60 miles from home and back today. Took the interstate driving about 70-80 mph. The trip there was uneventful with the exception of a little sluggishness at about 65-70 mph. I haven't taken the time to learn about those extra gears! The landscape was fairly flat all the way. On the return trip, it was raining pretty hard. I had to use the defroster to keep the fog off the interior windows. It was about 40-45 degrees outside. Anyway, the heater fan would turn itself up and down like it wasn't getting power. The actual air would be warm then cold. (It was not set to "auto") My 30 year old daughter tried different settings, but the darn thing would change itself from hot to cold. When I pushed the AUX button, it would blow cold air to the passengers in the rear. The unit would actually keep turning the air conditioning on itself. It would switch from one setting to another even when it was not set to "auto". When I got closer to home on the return trip, I also noticed it was smelling like burned plastic or rubber inside the car. I have brought this to the attention of the local service department, but they were "unable to duplicate" when they had my car. I have been home for 3 hours and I just decided to go out into the garage to see if the seat warmers were working, just to check the electrical. I did not actually start the car, just turned the ignition to auxillary so that may be the reason they did not work. But as I walked in front of my car to go back into the house, heat was coming out the grill. The hood was warm to touch 3 hours after the car had been sitting! My garage is not warm and it is 40 degrees outside. The gauge on the dash still indicates my engine temp to be 210....good old 210! I don't know if the rain got the fuse box as others have stated is a problem or what. I am now at 3400 miles...what next? I was supposed to be taking my daughter back to her home this weekend, a 600 mile trip...don't dare take this POS that far away from home on a holiday weekend! GM, are you listening?????

See also: How to Check Your Car's AC System

Comments

• rachet1rachet1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Outlook FWD (Same as Acadia) with a tow package. I tow a 22 ft travel trailer, just over 3000 lb. and 8 ft wide. My only problem is finding a pair of extended tow mirrors that will fasten to the existing mirrors. Because of the tapered shape of the mirrors the typical clamp on tow mirror will slide of if not secured with bungie cords. That is what I do, but the mirrors shake so bad it is difficult to see. Does anyone know of a tow mirror that is made to fit these mirror heads? Any suggestions?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014
    Maybe we could interest you in a pair of Homemade Side Mirror Extensions?

• denisemarksdenisemarks Member Posts: 1
    A/C wasn't working correctly in front of SUV; but seemed to be working fine in the passenger area. Took to dealership in MD and just got a call that I have a water leak 'somewhere'. They just happened to have a water leak guy there who could run the test. Water could be from 'molding' but of course its not covered by my extended warranty. I have 54K on this truck. My question is...if water shortened out one of the A/C components why isn't this covered by GMC? I was told that any water leaks was not covered....what the heck!!! I didn't drive the truck into the water, don't even live close to water. If the molding was not put on properly by the factory, this SHOULD be covered....any others have this issue or something similar?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Just curious. Is your extended warranty by GMPP or some other third party provider?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    denisemarks,

Wanted to let you know that we did receive your email and Christina will be contacting you shortly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • mswebravenmswebraven Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Acadia SLE started having AC issued last summer. It started out with a weird hissing noise. Then began to vent a weird white/yellow mist inside the car. And then the AC gave out altogether. After a recharge, it worked at the time, but by the next morning, nothing but a 3X blinking snowflake again. Being out of warranty and not having $$ to address it, I let it go for the rest of the year.

I had my truck in about a month ago to the local GM dealership to take a look at the AC. They told me the line had a leak and it would be near $1,500 to repair ($860 for the line alone). Not willing to fork over that kind of cash so quickly, we put leak detector into the system on our own, started it up and didn't even need the black light to see where it was leaking. At the very back of the engine, another hose crosses the line and has rubbed a hole in it. The stuff was hissing out so fast, you could hear it and see it dripping down the line. We took some pictures of it, but it definitely is not an easy area to reach. I would think they'd have to pull the engine in order to complete the repair.

I find this to be pretty irritating. I love how my local GM dealership tells me there is a leak in the line, but wouldn't indicate where when asked. I guess they wouldn't want to admit that GM effed this one up when they built it.
  • jbrunsjbruns Member Posts: 2
    We bought our Acadia used about 18 months ago. Last winter we experienced a couple of times that the thermostat would read normal, but the heating unit would push cold air and would refuse to switch from defrost to vent. It didn't happen that often, so chalked it up to a glitch. Bad call on our part. This winter we have only had heat working for a total 8 days since November. We have tried every combination known to try to get it to work. The last time we did have it working, my son inadvertently moved the temp from hot to cold while we were driving and that was that. My questions are (1) is there a recall for this issue and (2) if not, what steps and what cost am I looking at. As I said the thermostat is reading normal on the dash. We currently have 55066 miles on the vehicle.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We would be happy to check into whether or not there's a recall open on your vehicle; would you please send us an email with the last 8 digits of your VIN, name, and Edmunds username?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • akbkyakbky Member Posts: 1
    My Acadia is an 08 and I have had it about 4 months; the air is not working; it's blowing hot air and I can't get the snowflake to stay on...we put one can of charger in it and still no luck...any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks
  • rtjmmcmathrtjmmcmath Member Posts: 1
    I bought my '08 Acadia new in '08. The heating - or more specifically - climate control in the cockpit has never been good. Dealership basically blew me off because they couldn't re-create the problem.

As of last weekend, my forward AC is now not working. The rear (AUX) seems to be working fine. It did rain like a monsoon and I did notice that water had leaked into the interior. I have a good friend with the same model (except he has AWD). He experienced the same problem and it was an issue with the molding above the driver's seat. So, now I have to schedule an appointment with the dealer!!! Thankfully, it's only in the 90's!

We love this vehicle, but there has been a lot of little "annoyances" over the last 85K miles. I received a letter from a lawfirm a few months ago that said they are representing Acadia owners because of these annoyances. Maybe I should have saved the letter.

Tom
    Good evening Tom,
    We hope your appointment with the dealership goes well. If you would like for us to look into this further with you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information (helps us get a Service Request file set up in our department): your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • roweadrowead Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a GM certified used 2008 Acadia almost 1 year ago. I love the car but there have been more annoyances and issues with the heating and cooling system. As soon as it started getting warm last spring (around March) the AC wouldn't blow cold air. Luckily we were still under warranty so it was fixed free of charge. Prior to the AC going out all together I had noticed a hissing noise that I was repetedly told was normal by the dealership service department. Magically, when they fixed the AC the noise stopped. I started hearing the hissing noise again around May/June, about 3 months after they fixed the AC. Took it to the dealership again because our certified used warranty was almost out. Again, told this is normal. 2 weeks later guess what!!! The AC was out. We had a leak in our front and rear evaporator. It was a HUGE job with pulling out the dash and eveything and after I threw a bit of a fit, they agreed to cover under the warranty since they could show a history.

Now after a long hot summer fall is kicking in. I tried to use the heater this morning. Yep, it doesn't work. It only blows outside temperature air. I am sooooooooooooooo frustrated. This is the first GM and even American made car I have owned and though I love the vehicle this is getting annoying. Any suggestions on why now the heater won't work? Also, my thoughts are that the dealership should cover this because I'm honestly betting they broke it while fixing the AC. And last, what is GM doing about all these Heating/Cooling issues with the 2008 Acadia. There are posts all over the web with AC issues same as mine. It was a $2000 job and I am obviously not the only one who has had it.
    Hello rowead,

We would be happy to look into this further with you if you were interested. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • jprohovnikjprohovnik Member Posts: 1
    Like all of the above I will add the same problem with the heat. We bought an '08 used only a couple months ago. The heat worked fine for a while then I noticed it started to blow cold air, but it didn't happen if I was just driving around town. It only happened when we would drive it a distance. There was kind of a smell, like hot/melting, but the temp gauge never went up. After getting frustrated I checked the coolant, and it was not where it should have been for cold weather (which I will have a lot of in WI soon). I added coolant, and it worked again for a little while. It was using more, potentially leaking a tiny bit, but not enough to make it disappear. We took it to our local GM dealership last week where they determined the water pump was going out. They clearly refilled the coolant because they used the dexcool, and we had used the universal coolant that was green (NOT antifreeze). Anyways, not even a week later and the same problem magically came back. I am just wondering if anyone has actually figured out the issue? Is there a heat control regulator? Has anyone had their thermostat replaced?? If we crank it up to 81 it starts to blow warm again, but I'm not interested in a quick fix, I want a permanent one. Having a 15 month old daughter, this makes me dread the cold weather we are destined to get!
    Good morning jprohovnik,
    If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, the name of your dealership, and a brief recap of the situation).

• tarajohnson585tarajohnson585 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 2010 GMC Acadia SLT AWD. I have gone out to crank the car and turn on the heat and defrost to clear the ice from the windshield. When I come out 10-15 minutes later nothing has changed and there is still ice on the windshield. There is cool air blowing from the main air vents. I pour water on the windshield and go on my way. I leave the defrost on the whole way to daycare and it never fails but as we pull into the daycare parking lot the air changes from the main vents to the defrost vent. I looked in the book and I thought it said something about blowing cold air until warm air was available. This confused me because the heat in the back is working fine. Is there something I am missing? When I turn on the defrost, I set the temp to 90, turn on the front and back defrost, turn the fans on high, and do NOT select the snowflake. Please help, I feel like this should not be happening but by the time I take it to the dealer everything is working and they do not find a problem. I am almost at 36,000 miles so I need to get this figured out.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I think you want the snowflake on.... isn't that the A/C compressor? That helps dry the air, taking moisture off the windshield...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fedupgmcownerfedupgmcowner Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 Acadia too. This summer only the driver's side would blow cold air for the a/c and now that its getting cold, the front 2 vents blow heat but the back seat only blows cold air and I have 2 small kids. I am beyond fed up with these problems and it's out of warrenty so I understand where you're coming from. Did you ever get your issue fixed and if so, what did they do?
  • fedupgmcownerfedupgmcowner Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2008 Acadia brand new and have had nothing but problems for the last year with it. This summer my a/c was only blowing from the driver's side and hot air was blowing on the passenger side and backseat vents. We put some canned stuff in it and it blew cold for about a week then hot again. We toughed it out because we couldn't afford to fix it since its out of warr. Well, now its getting cold and the front 2 vents blow hot air, but the backseat vents all blow cold air and won't warm up and I have 2 small kids that can't sit back there and freeze!

On top of that our tire pressure censors are all screwed up and the left shows the right and front shows the back so it kept saying my front left tire was really low, come to find out I had a nail in my back right tire!!! They tried to reset my censors, but it doesn't work and the temperature reading is always wayyy of, shows its like 148 degrees out when its like 75.

During the rainy season, everytime we opened our back hatch if it had rained water poored through our roof and ceiling lights lights!!! The roof leaks and the car doesn't seem sealed all the way through the sunroofs or something.

Last week our headlight went out and we took it to a shop to fix it (not a dealer), they said the piece that holds the bulb in was burned and cracked, we stopped by a shop to get the part and they said you can't order that part, you have to buy the whole headlight kit for $500 plus labor, which they est. $1000 to fix a burned out headlight that on any other car you would be able to simply fix yourself, they have it where you have to go in through the wheel area just to get to it! This is so ridiculous!

I pay $640 a month for this piece of $*%# and its really sad because I love the car itself, like the functionality of the car, but this is the first GMC I've ever had and all I want to do is get rid of it but I still have 2 years of payments left. I don't know what to do, I can't afford to get all these problems fixed when they charge $100 and hour in labor plus parts that they jack the price up on!!
    fedupgmcowner,
    We're sorry to hear that you've had troubles with the HVAC system and the tire pressure sensors (and can understand your frustration with the light bulbs). We can certainly appreciate that, now out of warranty, you are working with non-GM shops on these concerns. If you were to ever have questions about recalls or working with a dealership to get something checked into further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your inquiry).

• wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Check with GM on a headlight recall. I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook and about the time the headlights started having problems, there was a recall on these. I had them replaced by the dealer.
  • bmetsbmets Member Posts: 1
    I also have what sounds like the same issue. My car is a early 2008 Acadia SLT with 75K miles. Late last summer I started to notice a mildewy smell. That was followed by a hissing noise and the recirculate button would flash and not stay on. A/C worked a little longer. Now the A/C snowflake button blinks and will not stay lit. My profession is Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Powertrain Design and Development. Based on all the chatter related to this condition it would appear there is a systemic design weakness present. I like the Acadia and was considering purchasing a new 2013 Traverse. I am not sure I can support purchasing another car if $1,500-$2,000 repairs are considered normal at between 50-75K. My other issues are as follows, leaking struts, power steering cooler failure, and front end bushing replacement. All in I am probably looking at +$3K in repairs at 75K miles. Not in my mind reasonable for a modern car.

Bryce
    Good morning Bryce,
    We're sorry to hear about the troubles you're experiencing with your Acadia. If we can look into anything further for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • 21422142 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 gmc Acadia and now the ac doesnt work. This seems to be a pretty common thing in many acadias. Seems as if gmc probably put in a defective part by reading many different forums on many sites. Is gmc doing anything to take care of this? Summer is getting here and so is the warm weather. I have 2 little kids (2 yr. old & 5 month)that would like to stay cool in the car. Yesterday was probably not too enjoyable having to keep the windows most the way up.
  • acadiablues1acadiablues1 Member Posts: 6
    We also had our a/c go out about a month ago in our 2007 GMC Acadia. $161 later we were back up and running. I was utterly shocked to find out we were 'out of coolant' with no leak etc.
  • boomer1804boomer1804 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: :mad: I have a 09 Acadia and summer is here but just like everyone in the post my A/C has not shown up with it. I’m an umpire so last weekend I got off the baseball field (98* on this day) and started my car so it could cool off when I got in to drive home. The car was running “cooling” for about 20 minutes I go to get in the car and it’s still hot. I had to drive just under an hour with the A/C on high and it never cooled off. Dealership is saying that because its so hot the past few days that’s just the way it is and they can’t make it any better. Anyone have any ideals?
  • darciedsdarcieds Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the list of heating issues. In May, the heater on my lemon, I mean, 2008 GMC Acadia stopped working (adding to the million reasons why I hate this car). I took it to our local GMC dealership who showed me what was happening. There is rusty "goop" (for lack of a better term) running through my heating system. The can flush it, for $325, and hope that it works again, but it may come back. Better news? They have no idea why it is happening and say that GMC also has provided no reason why. I guess it used to happen on the Trailblazers, but this dealership hadn't seen this on the Acadia before.
    I guess I should consider myself lucky that the A/C still works (for now).
  • jiasjias Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Acadia as well with the same problems. Sometimes the AC shuts off on its own over and over again. Sometimes it just blows hot air, and now it blows hot air in front but cool in back. This is extremely frustrating during the summer heat when it's 105+ degrees outside! Another upset GMC buyer.. What's taking so long to find the root of this issue?
  • acadiasupermomacadiasupermom Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    So my 2007 GMA Acadia SLT-2 has been into the local GMC dealership 6 times and otherspecialty shops twice. Now my a/c hardly blows any air, RARELY ever blows cool air and drivers side gets colder then the passenger side. Is there some consensus on the root of the problem??
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Air conditioning isn't rocket science. It appears you need to find a qualified shop to work on your A/C
  • acadiasupermomacadiasupermom Member Posts: 2
    Wow. You're a genius! I believe the GMC dealership is pretty qualified. And the other 2 are STRICTLY a/c shops. I would HOPE they were qualified.
    edited August 2013
    Hi there,

I apologize that you're having issues with the A/C operation in your Acadia. Have you spoken with your dealership about this issue? If you would like for us to look more into this and see what else can be done, please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • jbrunsjbruns Member Posts: 2
    I posted over 12 months ago with the same HAVAC issues. Something in the console is jacked up. I can't go to the dealer because we bought it used and have no warranty that covers this issue. I have seen so many similar posts on the 2008 Acadia models it makes me sick. This IS a recall issue. Your company needs to address it.
  • bleerbleer Member Posts: 1
    My Mom's 2008 Acadia had this same issue. The dealership cleaned the condensor really well with water and it resolved the issue.
  • zplnfanzplnfan Member Posts: 18
    My air stopped working this week in my 2007 Acadia with 95k miles. According to my dealership, the cause is the A/C line rubbed against a motor mount which created a leak in the line. Cost for replacing the line (and hoping that it doesn't happen again) is $950. It seems absurd to me that they would place the line where it could rub against other lines or the motor mount and result in a very time consuming and expensive repair.

I love my Acadia, but have to admit to several moderate to high cost repairs. This is the first one that is coming out of my pocket, so it is all the less tolerable.
  • mark_w1mark_w1 Member Posts: 6
    Yup, add me to the list here. 2007 SLT-2 just hit 60K miles. Five months ago the mechanic confirmed the AC had no coolant but no leak they could find, and now it is not cooling again. I can hear the compressor cycling and it is clear that works and the thermostat is likely fine, but there is clearly a design issue at play here. I'm bummed because I've been eyeballing a 2013 Acadia Denali but no way I'm doing this again with under 60K miles (problem started at 55K).
  • wheresmysvcrepwheresmysvcrep Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Here I thought I was one of the fortunate, until now. Just like the post above with less than 60k! The A/C will cycle cool air at times on the drivers side, but the passenger side AND the rear A/C unit blow warm air. I have read several consumer blogs and every post in this forum. Apparently GM has cooling issues with the Traverse, Enclave, Outlook and the Acadia that could be easily resolved with a Service Bulletin. As a Technician, Svc Mgr, Dist Rep, and now in Product Health (not GM). I would suggest if the vehicle has had any electrical interuptions such as a dead battery, the ECM may need to be reflashed with the latest files. If the ECM has the current flash files, then troubleshoot the actuators which operate the internal ventilation doors (Fresh Air/Recirculate, Hot/Cool, Floor/Vent/Defrost/Aux). Most of these effected vehicles have "recently" exceeded their warranty parameters and to publish a Service Bulletin would have a financial impact on GM. I have been a GM enthusiast all my life. Years ago I attended GM-UAM with focus on building customer loyalty thru customer service. Wow, have things changed? My family is in the market for a few new vehicles this fall. If GM won't take responsibility for their "defects", we'll all be buying from a competitor. Others within the social media would agree. Financial impact?

WheresMySvcRep
    I'll share an update I posted elsewhere earlier today....

So I took it to the dealer and I don't have the details yet, but I'm hearing the diagnosis is a $3K repair. I also realized that while I've been speaking to this starting in April when the car had 55K miles, it actually started closer to 50K based upon my notes and an initial post here one year ago.

Needless to say that after having 4 of my last 5 new car purchases be GM (w/ 3 GMCs including a Corvette, a Yukon Denali, and 2 Acadias) and being directly responsible for the purchase of my sis-in-laws Acadia, I am very interested as to whether GM is going to help me out here. If they don't I'll wish you all the best but I'll obviously no longer be around this or the other GM forums. Wish me luck.
    Hello mark_w1,

I am sorry for any vehicle issues you are currently experiencing. I understand how vehicle repairs out of warranty can be frustrating to deal with. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Can you please reach out to our email at socialmedia(at)gm.com and include "ATTN LAURA" in the headline so it can be directed to me. Also include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
    Thanks, Laura. Jessica from your team has already reached out to me, and the district GM rep's folks have the case, and now I'm just waiting to hear whether GM is going to do the right thing or not.
    So I thought I'd provide an update. I had to pick my Acadia up on Thursday to get to work and I still hadn't heard from GM though my wallet is already lighter from the diagnosis I got to pay for. I got a call from a District Specialist on Friday who told me the dealer didn't have any record of my car being in when she talked to them on Tuesday. When I brought her up to speed, she said she'd get back to them and then to me. So, two more business days and I've heard nothing. I'll call them tomorrow and let you all know how it goes, but based on this I'm expecting nothing from them so I'll probably be in the market for a F150 or Explorer Sport here in a few days...
  • zplnfanzplnfan Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2013
    I found it interesting that GM only reached out to you and very few others even though we all had similar issues. Perhaps the number of GMCs you've owned may make the difference. I hope it works out better for you than it did me. I'll remember that bill before I buy another GMC.
    Oh, they've reached out but I've gotten ZERO assistance at this point. I've been very nice, I noted I've been waiting 7+ days for ANY sort of update and have gotten none and no ETA on an answer. Sure as heck hope they're going to do something, because if they've strung me out like this to decline to assist I'm going to be beyond irate. I mean come on, at least treat your customers like you care.....I'm not being unreasonable here.
    Hello you two,

mark_w1,

I'm sorry that you haven't heard from anyone yet about your case. I see that you were originally in contact with Laura. Have you tried emailing her for a status update?

zplnfan,

The number of GMC's you've owned does not determine whether or not we reach out to you. We apologize if you feel your situation was overlooked. If you have any concerns you'd like for us to look into please feel free to email us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Another update. So GM has offered some assistance. While I am thankful, upon reflection I'm still out well over $1,000 and I guess I'm at the point where I've no longer written GM off altogether, I'm still a bit disappointed knowing how few people have this kind of expense with so few miles. I've asked them if they can do a bit more, because I'd like to feel good enough that I could be looking at a new Acadia, Enclave, or SRX again as my preferred replacement options, but I guess we'll see.
    Hello mark_w1,

Thanks for updating us of your situation. That is good news GM offered some assistance towards your situation. If you would like to further discuss your current situation with us, we are more than happy to address any concern or question. I provided our email address in a previous post to you for you to contact us by.

Regards,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
  • jbecknerjbeckner Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Acadia has currently expired its warranty 39k miles and my extended warranty that i over paid for only covers power train. Second time A/C quit working . last time tech had to reset something and informed us the warranty was almost expired. now warranty expired same problem. I am spreading the word to all my friends that have complimented me on the beautiful acadia but the car is a future junk pile. I will be trading it in and now completely dissolve any business with GM all together . This was my 6th gm vehicle ... my second vehicle is a 2000 model f150 4x4 that runs great still and has cold A/C. My wife and 5 year old twin boys ride in that now while im stuck with this hot POS.
  • jengregjengreg Member Posts: 1

My 2007 Acadia has also been giving me problems with the AC. We have had it into the shop now 3-4 times. They have recharged the ac and it seems to work for awhile but like others, there was no sign of a leak. I really can't afford a $3000 bill right now, and especially for something that should be working. It also sounds like that may not even fix it permanently. It is really uncomfortable for myself and my 3 year old son to go anywhere.

• angie8179angie8179 Member Posts: 1

I have an 08 GMC Acadia. I have about 105,000 miles on it now. Over the winter I noticed that the AC was no longer working and the snowflake would not stay on it just flashed. I took it to the local Sears Service Center in MD and they said there was a hole in the line and it was caused by rubbing against the power steering line over the years. I have not checked with the GMC service center yet but was told by Sears that it was going to be expensive. I cannot afford to have this fixed right now and was told to go through GM Assistance. How much do they really cover and is this something I could have a local mechanic fix themselves if I just ordered the part. Sears did say that the part is a GM part and not something they carry.

• dmoe17dmoe17 Member Posts: 1

Hi- I have a 2008 Acadia and was visiting Edmunds to look into other cars because my Acadia is a money pit that continues to have problems. I was even more surprised to read that most of the issues I have had seem to be common with other owners. My AC has not worked properly since I bought the car (used with 28k miles). I have asked the dealership to look at it previously and they told me I wasn't using it correctly. They said I need to let the hot air out of the car before I turn on the AC. Good advice for a hot car but at the time I really didn't think that would solve the AC problem. It has never worked well when it is over 90 degrees outside. Now the AC will just stop working completely in the front of the car. It typically happens after the car has been running for over an hour. I have taken it to the dealership and they can't recreate the problem so they have no solution for me. We just rented a car for a trip last week and I will have to do it again this week. I can't drive around dressed for business meetings in 90 degree weather with no AC. I also refuse to have a $38,000 car sitting in my garage that I can only drive it is cool outside. Additionally, I have had 2 other major (>$2000) repairs, which fortunately occurred 1000 miles before the warranty expired. I should have dumped it then! When they looked at the AC, they said the power steering has a leak which is a $1600 repair. I seem to be following the trend of other owners I have read about and expect I will continue to have more problems with this car. Unless someone has some hopeful advice for me, I am going to see if I can afford to dump it and never buy another GMC again. I am not sure I can afford to keep it. Ridiculous, expensive and very frustrating.